• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldrusher

That's roof cam.

Notice the two lines left and right, but nothing in the middle ?
That's the roof:

941103_20090928_screen001.jpg

Also, the order of the cameras: bumper, cockpit, roof, chase
If it was a hood cam, it would be in between bumper and cockpit, but it isn't.

Quick question : Can you also use the driving lines online ? Kind of ruins the fun for me and dont want people i play against to be able to use them when i dont. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
from the responses from PD, it sounds like they have no idea what they're doing - 'yes, we could do this if we want, but we haven't decided yet' - make your fucking mind up and finish it already.

As for dynamic weather, I'm not a fan. Give me a wet race, absolutely but why do I want it to suddenly start raining during a race? Considering most races are much shorter than real life - eg 3-4 laps instead of 30-40, then rain during such a short time would feel artificial.

Likewise with day-night cycles. What, its daytime, you race a couple of laps and suddenly the moon pops up? No thanks. Races at all times of the day and night, sure yes please. But no artificially sped up weather/time please.

BeeDog

mrklaw said:
from the responses from PD, it sounds like they have no idea what they're doing - 'yes, we could do this if we want, but we haven't decided yet' - make your fucking mind up and finish it already.

As for dynamic weather, I'm not a fan. Give me a wet race, absolutely but why do I want it to suddenly start raining during a race? Considering most races are much shorter than real life - eg 3-4 laps instead of 30-40, then rain during such a short time would feel artificial.

Likewise with day-night cycles. What, its daytime, you race a couple of laps and suddenly the moon pops up? No thanks. Races at all times of the day and night, sure yes please. But no artificially sped up weather/time please.

Don't worry, if ToD/weather stuff is in the game, you can bet your sweet little butt it won't be dynamic (e.g. probably a pre-race setting).

EDIT: to clarify, I'm not trying to jump you if I came off that way. :D

spwolf

mrklaw said:

joke post? :lol

brunoa76

Milk Lizard said:
Quick question : Can you also use the driving lines online ? Kind of ruins the fun for me and dont want people i play against to be able to use them when i dont. :p

Yeah I wish we could disable that shit...hem sorry that cheat online :D

mrklaw said:

Some of us endurance race... and yes, some of us are crazy. :)

mrklaw said:

mrklaw
MrArseFace
(Today, 04:36 PM)
Reply | Quote

You don't get PD do you. Everything that's rumored, it's already in the game. They just don't want to add a feature that breaks the game i.e. reduces frame rate or AA or anything.

Oh and you really don't know how dynamic weather works in this game. Stop making shit up that weather/sun changes at the rate it does in Grand Theft Auto. Most likely it'll be like Burnout Paradise where you can set your own interval or it'll be relative to your local time or local time of the location you are racing in. Ever though of that?

That said, my ULTIMATE dynamic weather: Day/time/weather changes according to the weather/time in that track. Since GT5:p already had the calendar feature which tells the weather/time for the particular city, why not use that data and implement it, especially for career mode?

Sure, they should give you the choice to change it for arcade/online but most of the career mode should have weather/time/day according to the current time/dat/weather.

Goldrusher

Day/night could make the endurance races realistic.
And night races on every track. Wow. :)

But so far, I don't think anything has been said about "dynamic weather".
The Tréluyer interview confirmed rain and day/night cycle. Not dynamic weather.

So that it suddenly darkens and starts raining during a race, is not confirmed.
It's either a rainy race or a dry race.

But we'll see...

Finally some obvious photo-mode shots. Will be a good reference and help us identify between game, replay and photo mode in the future.

(sadly, I'm not even kidding :lol )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
fuck me, I guess I hit a nerve.

I was just commenting on my interpretation of day/night cycle. Suggests it changes to me. If its 'some races in daytime, some at night', thats more 'race at various times of the day or night' not *cycles*

Oh, and as a long time and experienced GT fan, let's translate properly just based on what we already know about the series, about the graphics engine, etc.

There will be races during the day, races during the night, and wet races.

There, that wasn't so hard, now was it? These aren't anything new versus the previous entries in the series either.

Cigol

mrklaw said:

Dynamic weather is the holy grail. Play GTR2 with the dynamic weather patch - planning your pit-stop strategy in advance and accounting for potential rain or dry spots is fucking awesome. It also means setting the car up accordingly, and driving in the rain is always a bitch so it's a real challenge. It makes the race weekend all the more exciting and strategic.

Dynamic weather means you can't take anything for granted. If it's just a full wet or full dry race then your job is a lot clearer. It's still a great feature to have if that's the case, but dynamic weather opens up a lot of potential - and if it works online I can see it being great in leagues.

Weather it's any good in GT5 (ahem) we'll have to wait and see :D

Grayman

TylerD said:
Yep, this is my favorite news of the day! I am also a big fan of the possibillity for night/day and weather.

edit: WTF? I guess we don't know until we actually see them or a list of them. What about the IGN video interview?

Somebody needs to ask this question with a damn diagram. Draw 20 boxes for the locations with 70 rough track diagrams spread out through them with a big ?

:lol
Interpreting locations as areas uniquely modeled this is going to be a small GT game.

Hand counted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gran_Turismo_courses
12 real locations, 14 original(rolled complex, beginer, test, motorland into one), 13 city, 11 rally. 39 non rally 50 with rally. Even if we throw out all the lost locations(red rock, grinderwald, rome night etc) and rally that is still way above 20 and does not include any weather report locations from prologue.

Going by country does not seem likely because Laguna, Infinion, and Indy for example are completely different and PD would want to count those as locations of their own.

6 tracks in prologue, we've also seen Tokyo R246, Nurburgring, and one rally track. We know about top gear and Sarthe... that leaves only 9 "locations" to go from all the weather display locations and the original GT circuits. The final track list may be more of a eulogy than a celebration.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maastricht said:
Oh, and as a long time and experienced GT fan, let's translate properly just based on what we already know about the series, about the graphics engine, etc.

There will be races during the day, races during the night, and wet races.

There, that wasn't so hard, now was it? These aren't anything new versus the previous entries in the series either.

no, thats nice and easy. It just gets confusing when you read translated Japanese (ambiguous statements) into french into english, then chewed over by GAF.

Sounds like GT4 basically

Goldrusher

Grayman said:
Going by country does not seem likely because Laguna, Infinion, and Indy for example are completely different and PD would want to count those as locations of their own.

Counting all tracks from GT4, TT, GT5P and the weather thing: 14 countries (+ 8 unknown locations of the fictional tracks such as Grand Valley and Deep Forest)
So they either need to add 5 countries or count the American states as separate countries/locations. Then you have 20...

1. Belgium
  2. China
  3. France
  4. French Polynesia
  5. Germany
  6. Italy
  7. Japan
  8. Korea
  9. Monaco
  10. Portugal
  11. Spain
  12. Switzerland
  13. UK
  14. USA - Arizona
  15. USA - California
  16. USA - Florida
  17. USA - Indiana
  18. USA - New York
  19. USA - Washington
  20. Polyphonyland

I would be véry disappointed if they actually mean track venues.
After all, we already saw 14:

1. Eiger
  2. London
  3. High Speed Ring
  4. Fuji
  5. Suzuka
  6. Daytona
  7. Nürburgring
  8. Tuscany
  9. Indianapolis
  10. Madrid
  11. Top Gear
  12. Le Mans
  13. Tsukuba
  14. Tokyo R246

That leaves us with only 6 open spots for

1. Grand Valley
  2. Midfield
  3. Deep Forest
  4. Trial Mountain
  5. Autumn Ring
  6. Apricot Hill
  7. New York
  8. Seoul
  9. Hong Kong
  10. Seattle
  11. Paris
  12. Amalfi
  13. Aria
  14. Monaco
  15. Cathedral Rocks & El Capitan
  16. Grand Canyon
  17. Chamonix
  18. Laguna Seca
  19. Infineon
  20. Motegi

Goldrusher said:
Counting all tracks from GT4, TT, GT5P and the weather thing: 14 countries (+ 8 unknown locations of the fictional tracks such as Grand Valley and Deep Forest)
So they either need to add 5 countries or count the American states as separate countries/locations. Then you have 20...

1. Belgium
  2. China
  3. France
  4. French Polynesia
  5. Germany
  6. Italy
  7. Japan
  8. Korea
  9. Monaco
  10. Portugal
  11. Spain
  12. Switzerland
  13. UK
  14. USA - Arizona
  15. USA - California
  16. USA - Florida
  17. USA - Indiana
  18. USA - New York
  19. USA - Washington
  20. Polyphonyland

Hopefully they add tracks from Montreal, Abu Dhabi and what not.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ploid 3.0 said:
Yep, sad how that happens. Still no new video like new tracks, a look at sim mode, and that new mode that's a bit like some feature from psp.

They said there are a number of parts in the video that they had to blur/remove as it has features/cars/tracks not yet announced/shown.

Insertia

Goldrusher said:
His smile says it all, really. And the Tréluyer interview pretty much confirmed it...

Anyway, added IGN's video:

new screens/previews/interviews

• new screenshots
• Gameblog.fr studio tour
• jvn.com interview (interviewer here is professional racer Benoît Tréluyer!)
• Joystiq interview (motion controller lol)
• Gamespot Q&A
• IGN interview video

new facts

• European/USA release is up to the marketing dept.
• game is finished from a "take a car and drive" perspective, still needs some work to career and the actual game
• damage will be improved with deformation, but don't expect "total loss crashes", GT isn't about that (even though they can already do it)
• day/night cycle is in
• rain is in
• a very precise G-force meter is in (see jvn.com video)
• tire wear & tire temperature are in
• (visual) car tuning affects the physics
• drag racing is a possibility
• no plans for motion controller support
• they are working on something with the PlayStation Eye, can't go into detail yet​

1st Bold: Awesome. I fully support that.

2nd Bold.:O:O

Goldrusher said:

1. Belgium
  2. China
  3. France
  4. French Polynesia
  5. Germany
  6. Italy
  7. Japan
  8. Korea
  9. Monaco
  10. Portugal
  11. Spain
  12. Switzerland
  13. UK
  14. USA - Arizona
  15. USA - California
  16. USA - Florida
  17. USA - Indiana
  18. USA - New York
  19. USA - Washington
  20. Polyphonyland

I would be véry disappointed if they actually mean track venues.
After all, we already saw 14:

1. Eiger
  2. London
  3. High Speed Ring
  4. Fuji
  5. Suzuka
  6. Daytona
  7. Nürburgring
  8. Tuscany
  9. Indianapolis
  10. Madrid
  11. Top Gear
  12. Le Mans
  13. Tsukuba
  14. Tokyo R246

That leaves us with only 6 open spots for

1. Grand Valley
  2. Midfield
  3. Deep Forest
  4. Trial Mountain
  5. Autumn Ring
  6. Apricot Hill
  7. New York
  8. Seoul
  9. Hong Kong
  10. Seattle
  11. Paris
  12. Amalfi
  13. Aria
  14. Monaco
  15. Cathedral Rocks & El Capitan
  16. Grand Canyon
  17. Chamonix
  18. Laguna Seca
  19. Infineon
  20. Motegi

It's a shame they are completely forgeting about GT2 and GT3. Tracks like Rome Night, Grindwald and Red Rock Valley "disappeared in their plans. Some of those could be on GT PSP... it's a shame.

We have to figure out how they handled this location, variation thing on past GT's. Also, when GT PSP track list is finally released, we will know better. It's a shame the game is out in 3 days and they still haven't released this information.

offshore

• damage will be improved with deformation, but don't expect "total loss crashes", GT isn't about that (even though they can already do it)

Kaz should listen more to Howard Stringer...

The consumer will always like choice

If they can already do total crashes, why don't they just put it in? People who want "total crashes" (me) will be able to have it, and people who don't, can turn it off, or tone it down.

The fact I now know they could do it for WRC and NASCAR if they wanted, but they won't put it in, is really frustrating.

Choice, Kaz. The consumer loves it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
offshore said:
Kaz should listen more to Howard Stringer...

If they can already do total crashes, why don't they just put it in? People who want "total crashes" (me) will be able to have it, and people who don't, can turn it off, or tone it down.

The fact I now know they could do it for WRC and NASCAR if they wanted, but they won't put it in, is really frustrating.

Choice, Kaz. The consumer loves it.

I dont think its necessarily a matter of them not wanting it. Its a matter of what will the manufacturers also allow.

Just because their engine may support a car getting torn to shreds, does not mean they are allowed to show that.

Based on other games, and past statements I do not see someone like say Nissan, Mazda, Toyota allow you to take their regular cars and shred them Burnout or Dirt 2 style. Can you imagine someone at Toyota PR saying "yes show a shredding Prius."

I would love to see it on race cars, WRC and such, but realistically it will make for severe frustration to a vast number of gamers to have it too real as they could not really play. Not many are great drivers that can race very clean.

I think if we get semi-convincing crumpling (not just a decal), windows breaking and hoods, bumpers, doors falling off visually and a semi realistic performace "under the hood" damage system (no driving off after a 100mph head on crash) I will be quite satisfied.

Grayman

Thanks Goldrusher, I find that list easier to read than the posts from last week. Japan does have a lot of tracks like USA does as well. I think there are up to 6 venues there(r246, special stage, fuji, suzuka, motegi, tskuba). It could go either way.

If it was 20 venues and there were six to pick
Locks:
Laguna Seca (GT staple)
Infineon (Nascar compatable?)
Monaco (GT staple/F1)
After that you are down to pick 3 and the game has few potential rally tracks.

Because of what is already on the table and what would be left off it 20 venues would be very disappointing.

Even reaching 70 variants could be tricky with 20 venues. Some may be there just to bring up the average
Cathedral Rocks & El Capitan (at least 4 routes, could do more)
Motegi (had quite a few variants as well)
Chamonix (only 2 to start with but maybe could be made into a road track without ice)

Grayman

seattle6418 said:
It's a shame they are completely forgeting about GT2 and GT3. Tracks like Rome Night, Grindwald and Red Rock Valley "disappeared in their plans. Some of those could be on GT PSP... it's a shame.

We have to figure out how they handled this location, variation thing on past GT's. Also, when GT PSP track list is finally released, we will know better. It's a shame the game is out in 3 days and they still haven't released this information.
We haven't had the suicidal chicane version of SSr11 in a decade either.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think Goldrusher's first list is probably a more accurate description of what they mean.

Also don't forget point to points and reverse/mirror options. I doubt reverses and mirrors are counted in the 70.

And there's always DLC and patching. Not that I don't want things in day one, but at least its possible to add more tracks/locations/cars regularly.

Goldrusher

seattle6418 said:
when GT PSP track list is finally released, we will know better.
GT PSP is a completely different game. It's nothing more than GT4 portable and simply uses the GT4 tracks. No London, no Tuscany, no Madrid, not even the new High Speed Ring.

DuckRacer

They don't mean actual track venues regarding the 20 track statistic – we already know 18 tracks (you're missing Spa, Trial Mountain, Laguna Seca and Valencia in the confirmed list) and they're not going to leave out all those other tracks.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DuckRacer said:
They don't mean actual track venues regarding the 20 track statistic – we already know 18 tracks (you're missing Spa, Trial Mountain, Laguna Seca and Valencia in the confirmed list) and they're not going to leave out all those other tracks.
Right. They mean 20 "locations."

Okay thanks Kaz just release a track list.

seattle6418 said:

Yeah! It's just down the road from Kliene Schiedegg too.

Goldrusher said:
GT PSP is a completely different game. It's nothing more than GT4 portable and simply uses the GT4 tracks. No London, no Tuscany, no Madrid, not even the new High Speed Ring.

Yeah, but since you will be able to unlock cars from PSP to PS3, it means every car on GT PSP will be on GT5, so there's a similarity.

I think it's a good way to know, because they are saying 35 tracks, 70 variations for the PSP version. Once the track list is out, we will know what a variation is and how they define a track.

Grayman

seattle6418 said:
Yeah, but since you will be able to unlock cars from PSP to PS3, it means every car on GT PSP will be on GT5, so there's a similarity.

I think it's a good way to know, because they are saying 35 tracks, 70 variations for the PSP version. Once the track list is out, we will know what a variation is and how they define a track.
I do not see why people are so sure of this. A car does not have to be in GT5 just because it is in PSP, if it is missing it won't unlock not a huge mystery.

Grayman said:
We haven't had the suicidal chicane version of SSr11 in a decade either.

SSR11 was my second favorite track in GT1 (behind Autumn Ring) and then after missing GT2, it came back with a horrendous chicane in GT3.

The layout on the original GT, with the suicidal chicane like you mentioned, was way more awesome. I hope it gets back, but it looks like one of those tracks they just forgot about it.

I have a feeling we will have to ask those for DLC.

Grayman said:
I do not see why people are so sure of this. A car does not have to be in GT5 just because it is in PSP, if it is missing it won't unlock not a huge mystery.

On this front, i hope you are right. People that have played at gamescon have said the final car count for the PSP version is 838. Problem is, some of those models are outdated, so i hope they drop some of them so we can have a better selection on GT5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom