• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeeDog said:
At least we know it's coming during March!

Sure, but they also haven't talked about the game. I just don't get why GT5 gets so much shit for taking 5 years to develop while other games have taken just as long and no one says anything about them. The game is extremely ambitious, which isn't really a word that's generally used for racing games. It should take awhile to cook. Much like the original GT did, which also took 5 years to develop as Kaz has noted.

BeeDog

KennyLinder said:
What, like GT was? :D It could be delayed at any time, and very little has been shown about the game recently.

Every GoW game has been released in March, and they've already said they're NOT going to miss that timeframe for the third installment, so no.

Was all set on importing this in March, but even though this is one of my most anticipated games of the year, moving it from March is probably a better idea in the long run. It'll be a cheaper month for me for a start :p

El-Suave

I'm not a racing game fan so this doesn't really concern me that much, but I don't like that this franchise is turning into an industry laughing stock (at least for the press and for some of us gamers) .

Their constant talk along the lines of "we could release it right now if we wanted to...", doesn't help either.

That said - a release closer to the holidays might make more sense anyway since we don't have many big first party titles on the radar for that timeframe yet.

And, if we're really lucky, we'll get to see "translator dude" again at this years E3 press conference.

spwolf

SolidSnakex said:
Why wouldn't it be released at the same time? Every version will be done at the same time. GoW3 will be out the way, and that's Sony's other major release this year. There shouldn't be anything else releasing that would cause them to space out the release dates.

well they could be released at the same time, i am saying that the reason for it not to be released in March 2010 in Japan, should not be WW release... as they already scheduled it.

So the reason could be simply not enough polish/features yet...

Iknos

spats said:
western release date was never announced to begin with so i dont see why people are getting so worked up. Simultaneous WW release makes a lot of sense.

WW release at a bit later date means more time either polishing the game or including planned features all the while working on the localization.

At the same time the releases were always staggered by at least a couple of months. But those games weren't as ambitious as GT5 and they weren't 4-5 years in the making.

A WW release makes sense but at this point it's hard to guess what's going to happen.

I'm ok with these delays if it means a high quality product but at this point I'm expecting near perfection in all the little more often overlooked aspects. It better have the ultimate online setup and more camera views than in the TT. Customizable FOV...things like that.

On a side I've been playing PGR3 with the Fanatec and one aspect that needs to be in GT5 is the interactive showroom and garages. Hey if Prologue can render 16 high res cars on a track as it does it can do that many in a garage with ease. :) Walk into a dealership and walk around the cars. Take a peek to view the interior. Take the car for a spin outside the dealership. Funny to think that PGR3 is over 4 years old now. I think GT fans would love this feature and I'm sure Kaz could see the appeal. Graphically the game is built for a mode like this.

Iknos said:
On a side I've been playing PGR3 with the Fanatec and one aspect that needs to be in GT5 is the interactive showroom and garages. Hey if Prologue can render 16 high res cars on a track as it does it can do that many in a garage with ease. :) Walk into a dealership and walk around the cars. Take a peek to view the interior. Take the car for a spin outside the dealership. Funny to think that PGR3 is over 4 years old now. I think GT fans would love this feature and I'm sure Kaz could see the appeal. Graphically the game is built for a mode like this.

This was your "garage" in the CES demo

ces_018_83731_screen.jpg

All playable cars sitting next to one another. So it looks like they could be doing something similar to that.

Angst

It's a bit disappointing to me but not unexpected at all. But if they announce a fall release i will be seriously pissed.

Now if they could just release more information and more clear translator-san-free info about release date, features etc I would be happy.

Xater

Wait they just delayed the game again? WTF PD? WTF?

At least bring on a world wirde release if you have more time. Shit is getting ridiculous.

Eurogamer:

Sony Europe has said that Gran Turismo 5's latest delay is "only applicable for the Japanese market", although the platform holder also declined to estimate when the game will be released.

"This information on the GT release is only applicable for the Japanese market," the company said in a statement to Eurogamer. "SCEE will announce the launch date for this game in the PAL territories in due course."

Sony Japan had announced a March 2010 release date for Gran Turismo 5 at the Tokyo Game Show last year, while SCEE had been a little more cautious, declining to confirm a date for the much-anticipated Polyphony Digital racer.

Issun23

Ballistictiger said:
I'm hoping for a summer release myself.

Game industry biz.

The press release they're using as the source doesn't specify how long the delay will be. Google Translator is wrong. This is what it says:

SCEJ has decided to postpone Gran Turismo 5's projected release of March 2010 due to development issues.

We will announce the new date as soon as it is finalized.

We apologise to all those who've been eagerly waiting for the game's release.

Then at the bottom there's a quick factsheet, and again the release date is marked as TBC.

Iknos said:
WW release at a bit later date means more time either polishing the game or including planned features all the while working on the localization.

At the same time the releases were always staggered by at least a couple of months. But those games weren't as ambitious as GT5 and they weren't 4-5 years in the making.

A WW release makes sense but at this point it's hard to guess what's going to happen.

I'm ok with these delays if it means a high quality product but at this point I'm expecting near perfection in all the little more often overlooked aspects. It better have the ultimate online setup and more camera views than in the TT. Customizable FOV...things like that.

GT PSP was released simultaneously worldwide. Wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with GT5. I was actually expecting a worldwide release before they announced March for Japan and TBA for everywhere else.

Xater

makingmusic476 said:
Eurogamer:

Sony Europe has said that Gran Turismo 5's latest delay is "only applicable for the Japanese market", although the platform holder also declined to estimate when the game will be released.

"This information on the GT release is only applicable for the Japanese market," the company said in a statement to Eurogamer. "SCEE will announce the launch date for this game in the PAL territories in due course."

Sony Japan had announced a March 2010 release date for Gran Turismo 5 at the Tokyo Game Show last year, while SCEE had been a little more cautious, declining to confirm a date for the much-anticipated Polyphony Digital racer.

Great but we did not know when GT5 would be released in Europe in the first place, so this might as well be a hidden delay for us too. :lol

It's possible that they're simply delaying the game until Summer for Japan with plans to do a worldwide release, giving Kaz more time to polish the game while simultaneously working on the localization. The ps3 has a great March in Japan already, between Yakuza 4 and Resonance of Fate, so might as well save it for the dry Summer season while also improving the game in preparation for its release in Europe, its most important region.

andymuza

Neo Member
I am really bored with the whole GT5 thing now.

The way Sony and PD have announced delay after delay is nothing short of a clowns circus act. The statement "We can release it any time." is the funniest and at the same time most embarrassing statements made this gen

I am not arsed any more about this game.

When or indeed if it comes out then great it's out but, I sure aint gonna rush out and buy it. The Demo was a huge disappointment in my eyes and did nothing to get me excited about this game.

Sure it looked pretty but so did the snow last week in England ;-).

Any way, sack Sony and PD for taking the piss with this game.

acm2000

*yaaaawn*

i give up on this game, disliked gt5p, forza 3 already given me my sim fix, unless gt5 really does something amazing out of the box, im not even gonna bother till its cheap 2nd hand (and once i find a ps3 pad with decent sticks, ps3 pads are too loose to be accurate)

G Rom

What if the delay was to make a worldwide release alongside the new Bravia 3D HDTV ?
Sony has been pushing 3D a lot at CES. They have a firmware update coming this summer for the PS3, the TVs are also going to be released this summer.
Sony won't have much content to show off those TVs anytime soon beside gaming. Blu-Ray 3D are only coming this fall in great numbers (very few releases before that) and live 3D TV is a long way off.
Gran Turismo 5 could be a great launch title for their "3D revolution".

Of course it seems weird but I want to believe that it's "only" for this that it was delayed and that the end of the tunnel is near... :-(

Another possibility is that, as rumored, EA is going to lose the exclusivity for Porsche in march and PD could get them in the game without paying a sublicense to EA.

Victarion

Wow, stealth trolls are doing their best here. Read the fucking statement then start bitching, "only applicable for the Japanese market"

G Rom said:
What if the delay was to make a worldwide release alongside the new Bravia 3D HDTV ?
I wish I could find the post... but someone suggested that they were going to delay it when they started going on about all this 3D stuff. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were going to now try and shoehorn 3D in there for release.

Manticore said:
Read the fucking statement then start bitching, "only applicable for the Japanese market"
Of course it's only applicable to the Japanese market. You can't delay a title that never had a release date.

andymuza

Neo Member
Manticore said:
Wow, stealth trolls are doing their best here. Read the fucking statement then start bitching, "only applicable for the Japanese market"

Of course it's only applicable for the Japanese market, they have never given a release date for the rest of the world.

That still doesn't mean we cant have a moan. This latest delay in Japan is one of many delays which have affected the rest of us.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

read it in Japanese thanks, Stealth defense force master!

[Nintex]

Well, there's GEM in spring/summer so I guess they're going to focus on that and end the year with a bang with Gran Turismo 5. Fall 2010 would be my guess. Who knows maybe they're adding in GEM support.

andymuza

Neo Member
Gafapastismo said:
I think that the first release date was given at TGS09,and it was March. I can`t remember any delay.

Yes it is the first delay on an official release date. However, target dates have been set and have never been met. They had aimed for a couple of dates last year and did not meet them.

Believe me this game has been delayed a fair few times.

roxya

andymuza said:
Yes it is the first delay on an official release date. However, target dates have been set and have never been met. They had aimed for a couple of dates last year and did not meet them..

Source? Other than wild guesses from fans and bloggers?

BeeDog

Going from "we can release it whenever we want" to "delay due to development issues" scares me a lot. There must be some seriously huge problems behind the curtains.

:( /negative thinking

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OH SNAP!

Maybe they want a worldwide release?

Kagari said:
It's just a feeling. Same thing happened with FFXIII. In development for ages and ended not living up to the hype.
No game can live up to the hype. (MGS4,FFXIII,GT5)
That being said, you are going to be disappointed because it doesnt have girly men on weird outfits with spiky hair and tons of belts! !!! lolz

* GODZILLA SIZE EPIC BURN *

;____;

BeeDog

Fersis said:
OH SNAP!

Maybe they want a worldwide release?

No game can live up to the hype. (MGS4,FFXIII,GT5)
That being said, you are going to be disappointed because it doesnt have girly men on weird outfits with spiky hair and tons of belts! !!! lolz

* GODZILLA SIZE EPIC BURN *

;____;

From Issun23 earlier:

SCEJ has decided to postpone Gran Turismo 5's projected release of March 2010 due to development issues.

We will announce the new date as soon as it is finalized.

We apologise to all those who've been eagerly waiting for the game's release.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BeeDog said:
From Issun23 earlier:
Oh i didnt know about that. Sorry then.
But hey, it HAS to be a 2010 release.

Sephiroth sucks! :lol

Issun23

BeeDog said:
Going from "we can release it whenever we want" to "delay due to development issues" scares me a lot. There must be some seriously huge problems behind the curtains.

:( /negative thinking

Maybe development issues isn't the term I should have used, it's more about accomodating development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom