• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnia

gregor7777 said:
From a sales perspective, that would be poor timing. They'd want to get at least a few weeks of holiday shopping in.

That said, I'd take it. :lol

Oh I agree, but then again who knows anymore :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Somnia said:
We changed our date in our internal system to 12/21/09 btw today (GameStop). It's never usually a real date unless they know something it's always the 1st of a month if they are guessing...so ya this year is looking like a possibility

A Monday? o_O

-viper-

Banned
Yoboman said:
Depends if GT5 sells more like GT3 or more like GT4. If Modern Warfare 2 sells as good as CoD4. Both got over 10 million though. Either way it's an exclusive versus a multiplat
Huh? Both GT5 and GT3 sold more than 10 million worldwide.

Somnia said:
We changed our date in our internal system to 12/21/09 btw today (GameStop). It's never usually a real date unless they know something it's always the 1st of a month if they are guessing...so ya this year is looking like a possibility

I doubt it'll release just 4 days before Christmas and miss out November and most of December.

Either way I don't believe that list, infamous going platinum just 5-6 months after release and Singstar MJ all look fake to me.

Somnia

AranhaHunter said:
I doubt it'll release just 4 days before Christmas and miss out November and most of December.

Either way I don't believe that list, infamous going platinum just 5-6 months after release and Singstar MJ all look fake to me.

Don't say never...FFX did it :D

I still don't think GT5 will make it this year. But a big part of that is me not wanting to get my hopes up for it only for PD to announce a 2010 date.

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, but those cars have long been in other racing games but not in GT. There's always been some wall between GT and those supercar makers. Who knows what it is though. But the Ferrari wall is knocked down now.

Yeah that's true, but there's more and better competition now and I'm sure PD knows that....well I'm just hopeful I guess :lol

JoJo13

Banned
Yoboman said:
Depends if GT5 sells more like GT3 or more like GT4. If Modern Warfare 2 sells as good as CoD4. Both got over 10 million though. Either way it's an exclusive versus a multiplat

My guess is it will sell worse than GT4 and GT3...

So that's probably...6-7 million units? I can see 1 million in Japan, 2 million in the US, and maybe 3 million in Europe being about right.

I think gamers have shifted their interests away from this genre recently, but maybe the power of the GT brand is strong enough to pull them back?

Euphor!a

Banned
JoJo13 said:

So that's probably...6-7 million units? I can see 1 million in Japan, 2 million in the US, and maybe 3 million in Europe being about right.

I think gamers have shifted their interests away from this genre recently, but maybe the power of the GT brand is strong enough to pull them back?

The problem about other games in the genre is that they are not Gran Turismo, I mean even people that know nothing about any of the competition buy Gran Turismo.

It's not that interest in the genre is down, it is just that there hasn't been a proper GT in a long time.

Just read this on Jeremy Clarkson's column today. LINK

"However, both of these pale into insignificance alongside the T-shirt my wife brought back as a present from her three-day and three-night lost weekend at Glastonbury. It’s grey, which is an acceptable colour, and it says, in huge letters, “****”.

Actually, it doesn’t say that at all. But I can’t say here what it does say because what it says is the worst word in the world.

I liked my new T-shirt very much. I liked it so much that last week I wore it to the rehearsals of a Top Gear show, where everyone else liked it very much as well.

But after a while, as is the way with these things, everyone had seen it, everyone had had their giggle and everyone had asked where they might get one. So, soon, the joke has been lost in a desert of familiarity. And that’s why, later in the day, when I was approached by a group of Japanese people, I never gave my slogan a second thought.

It turned out they were there from the company that makes the incredible Gran Turismo computer racing game, and they were in England to map out and chart the Top Gear test track for inclusion in the next, even more realistic version. Of course, it was very important that I met the boss.

Naturally, there was much bowing, and a lot of accepting and presenting business cards with two hands. Obviously, I didn’t give him my business card because I don’t actually have a business. Or a card. But I found one in my pocket — from David Linley, the furniture maker, strangely — and gave him that. It didn’t matter. He couldn’t speak English. None of them could. Which is why they weren’t offended by my shirt.

But then, equally inevitably, out came the cameras. Many hand signals suggested they wanted me to pose with their head honcho and, of course, I obliged. It would have been rude to say no. But not, as it turns out, half as rude as appearing in the firm’s promotional material in a T-shirt bearing the worst word in the world. Which is what’s happened.

I would like, therefore, to take this opportunity to apologise to the man, the company he runs, all of the children in the world who've been offended and the people of Japan. I am so very, very solly. "

Where was translator guy in all this?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PuppetMaster said:
Just read this on Jeremy Clarkson's column today. LINK

I would like, therefore, to take this opportunity to apologise to the man, the company he runs, all of the children in the world who've been offended and the people of Japan. I am so very, very solly. "

Where was translator guy in all this?

Awesome. He should relax though, I have seen the c-word on Japanese t-shirts and bluntly, Japanese people wear mental slogans on t-shirts all the time.

borsdy said:
If GT5 comes out so soon, I don't have a reason to get the PSP game :|

I'll pick up both, GT5 when at home, GTM when traveling, bored at work or on the crapper.... and considering you can transfer games between GT5 and GTM, that would make it that much better.

Fuzyfrog

11 of my friends are going to get a PS3 , New TV and GT5 when it launches and only then.
A few of them will never buy another game for it either.

GT as a franchise still has massive pull.

Yes "11" we are keeping track. :D

Euphor!a said:
The problem about other games in the genre is that they are not Gran Turismo, I mean even people that know nothing about any of the competition buy Gran Turismo.

It's not that interest in the genre is down, it is just that there hasn't been a proper GT in a long time.

This. I can give a rat's ass about any other racing game not named Gran Turismo. After GT3 PD has earned the right to have me as a fanboy for life.

AranhaHunter said:
I'll pick up both, GT5 when at home, GTM when traveling, bored at work or on the crapper.... and considering you can transfer games between GT5 and GTM, that would make it that much better.
That is the primary reason I'm considering purchasing GTM. Might as well try and unlock even more cars while traveling between cities and whatnot.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Awesome. He should relax though, I have seen the c-word on Japanese t-shirts and bluntly, Japanese people wear mental slogans on t-shirts all the time.

japanesekid.jpg

Zhuk

Banned
GT5 will be a big title, but I think that it will sell as well as MGS4 which is a great sales success but I don't think that it will pull the kind of numbers it has in previous generations simply because the PS3 is not the mainstream console like the PS1 and PS2 were and that Sony has had a lot of trouble with creating 1st party success.

GT5 will be bundled to hell and back which is going to help a lot, but I do think people who believe it's going to sell 10-15 million copies really have to alter their expectations as it is unrealistic.

Spiegel

Somnia said:
Oh I agree, but then again who knows anymore :lol

GT4 was released on December 28th in Japan.
GT5: P was released on December 13th in Japan.

That date sounds fine If Sony is trying to do a worldwide release this time.

NeoUltima

AranhaHunter said:
Better than releasing in the Spring and missing the holiday altogether...Unless they delay to Fall '10.

RavenFox

Banned
JoJo13 said:

Wait 6-7million is worst? Also, your guess is wrong. Gamers have shifted away from racing games? Keep the armchair talk out of this thread please

Spiegel

AranhaHunter said:

This is Europe. We get more platinum editions and sooner

For example, God of War: Chains of Olympus went platinum 6-7 months after release last year.

BeeDog said:

A worldwide release seems likely though if GT PSP is anything to go by. GT5's long development could be in part due to them making sure that all versions of the game are ready to go at the same time. That would be good for everyone.

JoJo13 said:

GT5P is at 3.7 million last time I checked it, if GT5 doesn't do at least 8 million, it'll be dissapointing...

Zhuk said:
GT5 will be a big title, but I think that it will sell as well as MGS4 which is a great sales success but I don't think that it will pull the kind of numbers it has in previous generations simply because the PS3 is not the mainstream console like the PS1 and PS2 were and that Sony has had a lot of trouble with creating 1st party success.

GT5 will be bundled to hell and back which is going to help a lot, but I do think people who believe it's going to sell 10-15 million copies really have to alter their expectations as it is unrealistic.
oh you, can't stop won't stop

Woo-Fu

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Yeah that's true, but there's more and better competition now and I'm sure PD knows that....well I'm just hopeful I guess :lol
There is no competition on PS3 for GT5. What other sim racer is coming out on PS3 around then? Casuals aren't the target market here, these aren't people who are going to walk into gamestop for GT5 and walk out with Motorstorm or Grid.

I don't think it matters when it comes out, it is going to sell a lot of units. Look what prologue did on a smaller ps3 install base? It will have legs too, making the release date timing that much less important.

Zhuk said:
What's it like, living in one universe and posting in a different one? Like a bad Sliders episode, I guess.

Woo-Fu said:
What other sim racer is coming out on PS3 around then? Casuals aren't the target market here, these aren't people who are going to walk into gamestop for GT5 and walk out with Motorstorm or Grid.
Need for Speed: Shift?

I don't think it'll sell as well as GT5... but it does have brand awareness. Especially in the UK.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Psychotext said:
Need for Speed: Shift?

I don't think it'll sell as well as GT5... but it does have brand awareness. Especially in the UK.

need for speed? don't make me laugh... harder.

That said, it will be interesting to see just what they offer with their talk about heading in the sim direction.

Yoboman said:

It absolutely blows my mind that the CoD games are that popular (although it doesnt surprise me thinking logically)...perhaps because the setting seems so incredibly unappealing to me. The new one looks quite impressive, but the last thing I want to do is play a game based in a realistic modern day warfare setting. I need a bit more artistic license in my games...

Zhuk said:

If GT5p is already at around 3.7 million without even being bundled in NA, with a $399 ps3 and to a much lower base, then I don't think it's much of a stretch for GT5 to at least double that. No one is really expecting 15 million.

Woo-Fu said:
There is no competition on PS3 for GT5. What other sim racer is coming out on PS3 around then? Casuals aren't the target market here, these aren't people who are going to walk into gamestop for GT5 and walk out with Motorstorm or Grid.

I don't think it matters when it comes out, it is going to sell a lot of units. Look what prologue did on a smaller ps3 install base? It will have legs too, making the release date timing that much less important.

What's it like, living in one universe and posting in a different one? Like a bad Sliders episode, I guess.

Well Gran Turismo is supposed to be THE racing game on consoles, best physics, best graphics, most tracks, most cars, etc....

So I can imagine a customer should expect Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc on the biggest sim racing game if other games such as Forza 3, Need for Speed, etc are able to get them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AranhaHunter said:
Well Gran Turismo is supposed to be THE racing game on consoles, best physics, best graphics, most tracks, most cars, etc....

So I can imagine a customer should expect Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc on the biggest sim racing game if other games such as Forza 3, Need for Speed, etc are able to get them.

GT was never about every car imaginable.

Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches have been in other games for ages and GT did just fine without. More than fine I would say. The NFS series was nothing but supercars. Porsche and Ferrari have had games revolving around the brand alone.

To me, and many I think, a large part of the attraction is normal cars, not every car imaginable. And considering they added Ferraris it is pretty much enough for me. And there is always DLC. Maybe a manufacturer that was reluctant before will open their doors when they see the popularity and maybe we will get "Lamborghini Pack" or "Bugatti Pack" later on if they are not in at first.

AndyD said:
GT was never about every car imaginable.

Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches have been in other games for ages and GT did just fine without. More than fine I would say. The NFS series was nothing but supercars. Porsche and Ferrari have had games revolving around the brand alone.

To me, and many I think, a large part of the attraction is normal cars, not every car imaginable. And considering they added Ferraris it is pretty much enough for me. And there is always DLC. Maybe a manufacturer that was reluctant before will open their doors when they see the popularity and maybe we will get "Lamborghini Pack" or "Bugatti Pack" later on if they are not in at first.

Very true and good point, but this generation is completely different than the other two where PS/2 was dominating. Like I said I'm hoping it's there and I'm hoping it's there from the get go and not as DLC.

AndyD said:

Ferrari isn't the only supercar maker that GT has, they also have another

1z8wzq.jpg

Pagani! Yeah, it's a shot of the interior because their interior designs are freaking gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom