• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Dead Man

Metalmurphy said:
I bought a Spec-V and changed it's oil, that made it 502BHP which is too much for that race :lol

Waste of money. Guess I'll race with it alot to drop it's BHP :lol
Did the same with a 500! 66hp! :lol

thechemist

Metalmurphy said:
I bought a Spec-V and changed it's oil, that made it 502BHP which is too much for that race :lol

Waste of money. Guess I'll race with it alot to drop it's BHP :lol

Well I guess I wasn't the only one........:lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow. The Fiat 500 '08 challenge is a bit hard stock. Got a sports air filter, knocking it up to 65HP (the limit for the event), hopefully that helps as stock only got me 4th.

Still, 90,000 credits for 4th place is nothing to sneeze at.

Oni Jazar

So as a DS3 controller player what assist settings should I be playing on?

I thought I should be hardcore and turn everything off but it was extremely hard to get anything past a bronze on the first AMG driving school challenge. Then I used the default settings (I think it was traction control 5, ABS1) and silvered them all on my first try.

Should I stick to the defaults or keep pushing myself for all assists off?

G Rom

brentech said:
I just did the NASCAR championship at Indy event, and I could no longer change the ASM to off using my RA dial. It was grayed out, while other options were not. =(

Wow, if this true I'm glad to have golden all the NASCAR event before the patch. :lol

Still one hour to go for the patch download. I don't know why but my PS3 internet connection is very slow today...
I tried everything, rebooting PS3, rebooting ISP box, changing ethernet cable but my PS3 still thinks that I have a 1.5 Mbits connection despite having a nearly 10x faster one... :-/

TheSeks

Okay, yeah. Sports Air Filter on a stock car is the ONLY thing you can buy to be within the online event entry limits. Unless someone finds a better part it's the cheapest and best way to go for the limit.

brentech

TheSeks said:
Wow. The Fiat 500 '08 challenge is a bit hard stock. Got a sports air filter, knocking it up to 65HP (the limit for the event), hopefully that helps as stock only got me 4th.

Still, 90,000 credits for 4th place is nothing to sneeze at.
Yeah, I ended up just not upgrading to the filter cause I wasn't sure if over time the HP would increase when I broke the engine in. I too got 4th, and 1st place was quite a distance off.

G Rom said:
Wow, if this true I'm glad to have golden all the NASCAR event before the patch. :lol :-/
Yeah, wouldn't let me change prior to the event or during it. Yet, the next races in the series you're able to change both prior to and during the races....not sure what the deal is. Luckily I still won the race with relative ease.

I got a question:

I want to start the Lamborghini Exclusive Races in the pro series level 13.
Now I saw that there are other races for the Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 08 in the expert series level 17.

Would it make sense to buy the Gallardo for both or do I maybe get it by winning the Exclusive Races?

plainr_

Oni Jazar said:

I thought I should be hardcore and turn everything off but it was extremely hard to get anything past a bronze on the first AMG driving school challenge. Then I used the default settings (I think it was traction control 5, ABS1) and silvered them all on my first try.

Whatever you do don't turn of ABS completely. Set it to 1. For TC, you should put it on 2 maybe 1 to help prevent spinning out when you floor it. If you got good throttle control with the pad, turn it off. You can get better at this with a manual transmission.

Only for oval races and the Nascar events should you disable ABS.

M.Bluth

Wait, how's the limit for the Fiat 500's event is 65BHP when the stock car from the dealership has 68BHP?

Is there something you can do to drop horse power without having to drive the car (I assume) a billion miles?

brentech

M.Bluth said:
Wait, how's the limit for the Fiat 500's event is 65BHP when the stock car from the dealership has 68BHP?

Is there something you can do to drop horse power without having to drive the car (I assume) a billion miles?
Stock is 63bhp on the correct model.

TheSeks

M.Bluth said:

Stock is 63 for the '08 that is needed for the online event.

brentech said:
Yeah, I ended up just not upgrading to the filter cause I wasn't sure if over time the HP would increase when I broke the engine in. I too got 4th, and 1st place was quite a distance off.

I wouldn't worry about that as these events are two weeks. I doubt you'll break it in that fast?

I'm wondering if this is more a tuning and driving hard/good event. As 3/2/1 places are WAAAAY ahead no matter how good and hard I drive these stock cars right at the entry limit. :|

ElyrionX

The GTR event is not doable with a stock GTR 07. I just tried.

Probably needs weight reduction and fullly cust transmission to lower the top speed.

Oni Jazar

jockamo said:
Whatever you do don't turn of ABS completely. Set it to 1. For TC, you should put it on 2 maybe 1 to help prevent spinning out when you floor it. If you got good throttle control with the pad, turn it off. You can get better at this with a manual transmission.

Only for oval races and the Nascar events should you disable ABS.

Thanks. I'll stick to those settings. I don't want to handicap my driving but I figure some of this stuff should be on.

-viper-

Banned
These events are hard. :lol

Still, at least you get a lot of credits despite not finishing in the top 3. On the Mazda one I messed up badly on the last corner. My usual laptime was 1.37/1.38. Last lap I spun out of control and did 1.56 :\

Still got 80,000 for finishing 7th.

2nd place with the GT-R 07', I don't think I can get to first with that car, the FordGT had like 10 seconds on me. Gonna need a lighter car.

-viper-

Banned
ElyrionX said:
The GTR event is not doable with a stock GTR 07. I just tried.

Probably needs weight reduction and fullly cust transmission to lower the top speed.
I bought a GT-R V Spec, installed a sports intake filter and the manifest thingy on the same page you buy the filter.

It's at 492hp. Not sure how to get it exactly on the limit, but I guess this will do for now. Installed the flywheel and clutch upgrades too.

ElyrionX

-viper- said:
I bought a GT-R V Spec, installed a sports intake filter and the manifest thingy on the same page you buy the filter.

It's at 492hp. Not sure how to get it exactly on the limit, but I guess this will do for now. Installed the flywheel and clutch upgrades too.

My stock GTR is on the limit with just an oil change and some breaking in.

Bought a GTR Spec V and the damn thing is at 500 HP after just an oil change.

M.Bluth said:
It isn't, shows up as 68bhp in the dealership

here's a pic (click for original):

M.Bluth said:

The info you get from the dealership is the "official" one given by the manufacturers, but not actually the real one. For example many Japanese cars are limited to 276BHP due to a Japanese law. But when you buy them it shows the real BHP. In the Fiat 500 case it's less, it goes to 63BHP.

bud

Oni Jazar said:

you'll get used to the all assists off setting. i'm also playing it with a ds3.

i've been able to gold the first amg challenge

test_account

XP-39C²
Metalmurphy said:
:( I liked those spectators. I liked how they covered their face if I crashed near them... like that would help. :lol

If it improves performance, I'm all for it... if not... :( Great loss.
If it's any concilation, the spectators are still there in A-Spec (maybe in B-Spec too, i didnt check yet) and while racing online :) The spectators seems to only have been removed from the arcade mode.

Woz

TheSeks said:
Okay, yeah. Sports Air Filter on a stock car is the ONLY thing you can buy to be within the online event entry limits. Unless someone finds a better part it's the cheapest and best way to go for the limit.

Weight reduction? Transmission? Suspension?

IDK the specific limitations of the event, but you know, the engine is not the only thing tunable.

TTG

Oh man, I don't want to get sucked back in now. AC:brotherhood is so good... but I'm already downloading the patch. :lol

Online events sound amazing.

darkwing

woah the seasonal events is like a car racing puzzle, don't know what you can do to get 1st place without going over the HP limit

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hell freaking yeah. I hope they added the feature of earning money in course editor A-spec races. Other than that, wow, what an awesome update.

-Amon-

You guys should consider that weight reduction is the first thing to do when searching for performance.

If you add HP you'll gain only in acceleration and maybe top speed.

If you reduce weight you'll gain in acceleration, maybe top speed, braking, and cornering.

confuziz

Banned
-Amon- said:
You guys should consider that weight reduction is the first thing to do when searching for performance.

If you add HP you'll gain only in acceleration and maybe top speed.

If you reduce weight you'll gain in acceleration, maybe top speed, braking, and cornering.

Not possible. there is a limit to both HP and weight

test_account

XP-39C²
Woz said:
Weight reduction? Transmission? Suspension?

IDK the specific limitations of the event, but you know, the engine is not the only thing tunable.
You can do windows weight reduction, but not more than that or else the car goes below 1000kg (which is the minimum weight limit for this event) :\ Doing windows weight reduction will get the car down to exactly 1000kg. You can upgrade the transmission stuff and suspension though :)

avaya

TO really lock down the events they should demand the cars be stock.

Once you do rigidity, suspension, drive train and transmission improvements it is no contest for all of these events.

Melfice7 said:
For the challenger event make sure you buy a customizable gear box

Just saying...

112mph limit :lol

Woz

test_account said:
You can do windows weight reduction, but not more than that or else the car goes below 1000kg (which is the minimum weight limit for this event) :\ Doing windows weight reduction will get the car down to exactly 1000kg. You can upgrade the transmission stuff and suspension though :)

Well, I need to check my 500, I've made some tuning, but not extensive... but the transmission+suspension mod can do magic if used properly.

anddo0 said:
Got 2nd place in the Fiat event. I can't seem to close the gap on the lead car, constantly finishing 1.5secs behind.

That's alot better then me. 5 secs :lol Only tried it once though, I can late brake on pretty much all corners and I didn't, that'll probably save me some seconds.

test_account

XP-39C²
Woz said:
Well, I need to check my 500, I've made some tuning, but not extensive... but the transmission+suspension mod can do magic if used properly.
If you have tuned the car more than the allowed limits, you can always buy a new car :) Lucikly i'ts quite cheap, it only costs 23,300 credits :)

Woz

test_account said:
If you have tuned the car more than the allowed limits, you can always buy a new car :) Lucikly i'ts quite cheap, it only costs 23,300 credits :)
Yeah, probably it's much more simple buy a new 500 and do only the mod required/allowed

Too bad, I like my yellow 500 with carbon hood :\

Omiee

i havent played GT5 for a few days but def gotten into the game again with this patch.
man nice to see the HUD option LOVE IT.
what are some of the hidden improvments.

Top Bottom