• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue PS3 video from GC

FightyF

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
GT5 > Forza 2.

Fixed. Prologue is still missing a lot of features, and it's just a taste of what's to come. Racing stock cars is still a lot of fun, and probably the best measure of driving skill, but tuning cars you've bought into racing beasts is a whole other dynamic that won't be in Prologue, but will be in GT5.

Then again, I am putting a lot of blind faith into GT5. PD claims not to have played FM2...I really think they should.

FightyF said:
Then again, I am putting a lot of blind faith into GT5. PD claims not to have played FM2...I really think they should.

Kaz says he hasn't played F2, doesn't mean the rest of the team hasn't. The guys basically into 2 things, cars and GT. That appears to be it.

Ryudo said:
Forza 2 is the current becnhmark imo. Saying they dont even come close is a bit of a joke. Adding a race exhaust drastically changes the cars sound, even an engine block upgrade changes the dynamics.

So does GT4. Turbos, new exaust, etc... they all change the way the car sounds in GT4. I don't see why GT5 would be different.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Metalmurphy said:
So does GT4. Turbos, new exaust, etc... they all change the way the car sounds in GT4. I don't see why GT5 would be different.

When the sounds are completely off in the first place, it doesnt matter how much you tweak them. They are still off. They dont even sound like cars, they sound like digitized samples that have been extensively pro tooled.

As SSX stated, if the movie is anything to go by, they have fixed that.

FightyF

Banned
Bearillusion said:
Realism is the goal so they don't really need to look to the competition.

Well, I think it could be possible that they don't factor in things like Turn10 did, like time of day affecting road temperatures.

But realism aside, I think the biggest reason why they should play other games has more to do with gameplay. Ie. the car modification system in FM2 adds so much to the longevity and fun of the title. DiRT has both a cockpit camera system as well as a helmet cam (which looks better on screens 50 inches or larger). It would be really disappointing if GT5:p didn't have a helmet cam.

Just look at the ability to change the tire pressure on your tires in FM2. I mean, you can argue that PD is going for realism, but does that excuse the lack of such a feature in GT? No, not at all.

The idea here is to make the ultimate racing game. I think most people will agree that playing Prologue will seem like playing half a game, as you don't deal with making any adjustments to your car. GT5 on the other hand, will offer so much more, and I hope that they look at these other racers to see what they should be offering. Realism aside...there are features I'd like to see in GT5 that haven't been implemented in past GT games.

Whether it's DiRT, Rallisport, Forza, whatever...PD should go for it. GT5 will have a Rally mode...I'd love if there were some hillclimb tracks, or non-circuit rally tracks.

J-Rzez

Ryudo said:
When the sounds are completely off in the first place, it doesnt matter how much you tweak them. They are still off. They dont even sound like cars, they sound like digitized samples that have been extensively pro tooled.

I agree that FM2 sound effects sound better as far as car note goes, but, it's not perfection by any sort of the imagination... It's still off, and these companies take the note from the actual cars... Which cars? With universal mufflers or flowmaster exhausts? Honestly, all these devs need to get their act straight with the sound...

FightyF

Banned
DemonSwordsman said:
no the idea is to make the Real Driving Simulator. The only competition GT5 has real life.

So you'd be happy with a parking lot to drive around in, rather than a race track? I mean, you don't need racing circuits if one was going about making a Driving Simulator...

Apex

Ryudo said:

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2230150

gtmax

The only game that can make your neighbor believe that you're driving a car in your living room is Ferrari 355 Challenge. Put your surround sound at full blast and the starting screen where the engine comes to life will blow your speakers away.

Aside from the poor engine sounds of previous GTs, the level of the sounds were always very tame. GT4Prologue had a much louder sound to the game, as a whole, than GT4.

Doesn't matter though, next month will find out for sure.

Zabojnik

Did any of you guys play GT5P at GC? Because I do agree that the game looks amazing in these videos, but really, the build they were showing wasn't all that impressive, if we're talking only about graphics. Or, to be exact, some parts did look utterly fantastic, like the interiors (no racing game should ship without them ever again) and the car models to a great extent. However, for me at least, the overall awesomeness was spoiled by the horde of jaggies and the really, and I mean REALLY average looking Suzuka track. Yes, I know, it's a racing circuit, it's bound to be boring, but still. I heard the not-so-funny 'GT4 in HD' remarks from my two buddies from behind as I was driving and I can't say that I didn't kind of feel the same. Another thing I didn't particulary appreciate was the sense of speed of the game. 60fps or not, it still feels like you're doing 100km/h at best.

FightyF

Banned
Zabojnik said:
Did any of you guys play GT5P at GC? Because I do agree that the game looks amazing in these videos, but really, the build they were showing wasn't all that impressive, if we're talking only about graphics. Or, to be exact, some parts did look utterly fantastic, like the interiors (no racing game should ship without them ever again) and the car models to a great extent. However, for me at least, the overall awesomeness was spoiled by the horde of jaggies and the really, and I mean REALLY average looking Suzuka track. Yes, I know, it's a racing circuit, it's bound to be boring, but still. I heard the not-so-funny 'GT4 in HD' remarks from my two buddies from behind as I was driving and I can't say that I didn't kind of feel the same. Another thing I didn't particulary appreciate was the sense of speed of the game. 60fps or not, it still feels like you're doing 100km/h at best.

Well, as you mention, race tracks are bound to look very plain.

But what I'm wondering about is how detailed the road textures look, and their reflections. The texturing was great in GT:HD, but the reflections were done in the same way they were done in GT4.

I think if all 16 cars left treadmarks during heavy cornering or spinning out, the course would look a little bit more alive and engaging.

As far as jaggies go, I'm sure you don't mean the game itself, just the shadows, right? As I mentioned before, with everything else nearly perfect, this sticks out like a sore thumb, I would be very surprised if the final game had them. I expect it to be fixed, PD are perfectionists after all...

J-Rzez

Zabojnik said:

Then is must be a step down from GT4, which felt "at speed"... Also, your buddies need to stop picking up slang from the net... GT4 had a "1080i" mode, so it was in HD (kinda sorta in one mode :p), and, GT5:p looks leaps and bounds beyond GT4... Anyone to think it's just an "HD" version of GT4 is either in need of an eye exam, or, needs to not go to Sony shows and stick to MS one's instead... It's simply jaw dropping, and there's no 2 ways to say it isn't...

This prologue, is probably just like the last one... Tracks received a nice boost to the final products, just like the cars... GT5:p =/= GT5....

Race tracks are just boring looking, there's not a whole lot they can do to make them look prettier. Which is why they create their own tracks and base some tracks in cities so that they can have visually stunning tracks to go along with race tracks.

SolidSnakex said:
Race tracks are just boring looking, there's not a whole lot they can do to make them look prettier. Which is why they create their own tracks and base some tracks in cities so that they can have visually stunnign tracks to go along with race tracks.

That's what made Forza 2 shit to me. They took out all the awesome tracks like Rio and shipyard.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
SolidSnakex said:
Race tracks are just boring looking, there's not a whole lot they can do to make them look prettier. Which is why they create their own tracks and base some tracks in cities so that they can have visually stunning tracks to go along with race tracks.

They need some Ridge Racer/Daytona/Scud Racer style tracks to compliment the rest of the game. Or at the very least, release a special map pack like that.

Crayon Shinchan said:
They need some Ridge Racer/Daytona/Scud Racer style tracks to compliment the rest of the game. Or at the very least, release a special map pack like that.

There are some RR type tracks in GT

grantourismo3_screen005.jpg

grantourismo3_screen009.jpg

Can't wait to see what their updated GT5 looks are like.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Btw, I know it has nothing to do with GT5 but I'm not going to create a topic for this. I have some good quality footage of Ratchet, and some more Uncharted/Heavenly Sword. It doesn't show anything new that I can tell, so I'm not too sure if I should lose (lots of) time encoding it or not. I'll let you guys decide if it's worth it or not!

Aleman

Blimblim said:
Btw, I know it has nothing to do with GT5 but I'm not going to create a topic for this. I have some good quality footage of Ratchet, and some more Uncharted/Heavenly Sword. It doesn't show anything new that I can tell, so I'm not too sure if I should lose (lots of) time encoding it or not. I'll let you guys decide if it's worth it or not!

The more Uncharted footage the better :)

Blimblim said:

More Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank Future, please!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Vaandaviii said:
Well that's simply the best looking real-time secuence ever shown of a videogame. It kicks every other game's ass in a severe and extreme way. Almost sadistic.

Hate to say this, but shimmering/aliasing ruins the beauty A LOT.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:
They'll likely clean it up, they were talking about how they don't want to be sloppy with the visuals alot.

I hope they specifically refer to stuff like this:

4vd38yt.jpg

That's VERY BAD, especially in motion. Makes me almost vomit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SolidSnakex said:
They'll likely clean it up, they were talking about how they don't want to be sloppy with the visuals alot.

It might be some sort of taste issue over at SCEI: many Japanese games have texture/surface and edge aliasing (see Minna no Golf for example... yuck...). It might be weird, but plausible.

The answer: we must yell louder :p.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
SolidSnakex said:
I'm currently yelling that they don't pick another bad intro song since they don't use Moon over the Castle outside of Japan.

And you care about that more than about lack of picture quality ?!?

Inconceivable.
Vizzini.jpg

You are banned from using the SH3's old-guy picture for a week by the Sony Association of Graphics Whorism!

Kittonwy

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
It might be some sort of taste issue over at SCEI: many Japanese games have texture/surface and edge aliasing (see Minna no Golf for example... yuck...). It might be weird, but plausible.

The answer: we must yell louder :p.

What type of HDR are they using? Maybe they're using FP16 so they can't use AA at the same time unlike Ninja Theory who are using sort of a different method to achieve similar quality HDR?

Rody

IGN UK said:
A SCEE spokesperson stressed to us that while Prologue is heading to PSN, it won't be free like the previously released Gran Turismo demo and, what's more, the downloadable game doesn't include damage modelling - unlike the Blu-ray version. However, both versions do include more than 40 cars, as well as offering the chance to go head-to-head with fellow speed freaks in 16-player online races.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/816/816592p1.html

Am I missing something or IGN screwed up (again)?

Top Bottom