• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

expy

Banned
Yoboman said:
It seems like a lot of these flaws are just being blown out of proportion and reviewers are losing site of the actual product

I mean they seem more concerned with the menu set up than the actual gameplay
The IGN reviewer barely played the game, and hardly looked through the features. It's pretty evident when he mentioned "no upgrade option for brakes" when GAF has proven that brake upgrades are on select vehicles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yoboman said:
It seems like a lot of these flaws are just being blown out of proportion and reviewers are losing site of the actual product

well, it's kind of the reviewer's problem with sims, I guess.

"The cars are just like real life!" 10/10

versus

"The cars are just like real life! But the the things they did to make the user experience enjoyable blah blah blah" 8.34/10"

Mush

hatchx said:
Hearing how piss-poor the online implementation is a pretty big disappointment for me. It's not the scores that are surprising, but some of the odd design choices. I was on the fence about this one but I think I'll pass in favor of something else.
Keep in mind though, that this is the first fully fledged Gran Turismo that has online play, and maybe it shows. The game isn't even out everywhere in the world yet. It'll go through it's early teething problems, just like any other game would.

expy said:
The IGN reviewer barely played the game, and hardly looked through the features. It's pretty evident when he mentioned "no upgrade option for brakes" when GAF has proven that brake upgrades are on select vehicles.
Well, not upgrades per say, but they are adjustable on Karts and stuff (Bias, etc). It's just you can't buy "Racing" or "Sports" packages like we're used to in GT and other games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yoboman said:

Yeah fuck those things that actually let you get the playing and customizing part. They arent that important.

Yoboman

HK-47 said:
Yeah fuck those things that actually let you get the playing and customizing part. They arent that important.
I didn't say that, I said that reviewers are losing perspective.

Bossman

CrushDance said:
8 and 9 are bad scores? The game isn't polished enough for 10 across the board. That seems to be the single big complaint.

8 and 9 are bad scores for hugely hyped console exclusives that have been under development for years.

Razgreez

Reading about all the glaring bumps and niggles with this game highlighted in the reviews i honestly feel KY is going look back on it as his worst entry to the GT franchise

adelante

Loudninja said:
Wha? are you reading the reviews?
The question is, are YOU?

eurogamer said:
As a public game, though, GT5 needs a lot of work. There's no matchmaking at all, so you have to browse a list of rooms and pick one, or enter an alphanumeric code, as if you're playing a PC game and it's 1999. The netcode is unstable; after a long pause I started one race alone on the grid, with the rest of the field halfway around the track already.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-24-gran-turismo-5-review?page=3

Linconan

(General)

Even though this'll probably fall on def ears.
And/or care.

Reviews don't make the game, Good, Bad, and the Ugly.
People need to play it for themselves whether i'd be renting or buying, to make up their own mind if they're interested in this genre or not.

Sadly though, we're in the day n age where people think Reviewers are the gaming gods and they know best :lol

Me, I like making up my own mind. You?

From 7 to 10, tells you something though.
People have different 'opinions', and thats all.

*burp..
There's my DrPhil comment.

Beth Cyra

Bossman said:
8 and 9 are bad scores for hugely hyped console exclusives that have been under development for years.

It maybe me, but I don't care what it is, the idea of saying an 8 or even more so a fucking Nine is bad in any form is crazy talk to me.

Loudninja

adelante said:

Online racing is – you’ll be glad to know, lag free. In fact, it’s a fussless experience, a breeze to set up, offers the same great sense of speed of single player and is slick enough to warrant some serious investment down the line. Gran Turismo 5 goes beyond just racing, though, with a Facebook-like messageboard (albeit with Twitter like 140 character limits), a log of all your achievements, a section for email and another for gifts, which is where you’ll be notified if someone has sent you a car ticket, or a tuning part or a paint colour. It’s a whole new social angle for the series and it’s great to see it so well integrated into the game, even if at the time of writing the server seemed to be really struggling with any updates.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/11/24/review-gran-turismo-5/

Huggers

Nirolak said:
kkcobraclap.gif

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm trying to understand how the PHENOMENAL game I've been playing these last 4 days can get 8/10 scores from gamers. I mean, I could mentaly accept my mom not to see the quality difference between this and other racing games, but come on, journalists? I can't find any explanation, it's as if Half Life 2 or Mario Galaxy 2 received such scores in their time. Pinacle of the genre: 8/10. Riiiight.

YagizY

Who cares, it's Gran Turismo, whoever was going to buy it is still going to buy it and whoever wasn't going to buy it is still not going to buy it. It's Gran Turismo. It's like not buying a new Mario platformer.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Razgreez said:
Reading about all the glaring bumps and niggles with this game highlighted in the reviews i honestly feel KY is going look back on it as his worst entry to the GT franchise
Let me tell you a little secret: Perfectionists are rarely satisfied with what they produce. Even if it's as close to perfection as possible. Believe me, I'm one of them. It's a sad existence.

So I wouldn't be surprised at all if down the line, he'd let some disappointment shine through in interviews.

Nevertheless, this looks like a great achievement. The variety alone is something to be marveled at. Unprecedented.

That, coupled with the physical believability, the occasionally extraordinary production values and the extra fluff that's just there for good measure can really only get a thumbs up.

At least going by the reviews.

I'm still more of a Forza 3 guy though lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
After casual references to 6s and 7s in the other thread, am I the only one pleasantly surprised? :lol I've not been paying huge attention to the GT5 threads, but I figured from what I had read that it was expected to be pretty divisive from a review point of view.

Wes

venison crêpe
I can see matchmaking being an issue for some. Like Dual Shock drivers competing with wheel users perhaps?

Overall the Eurogamer review seems about what I was expecting. The stability of the multiplayer experience seems a little bit varied between reviews/user opinion.

Loudninja

Online racing makes its series debut with GT5. There's a good bit of community features to be explored within the online mode beyond the up to 16-player races it provides. Creating or joining online rooms is easy, as is jumping into a race. Rooms feature full chat, and you can do this while watching as a spectator. You can feel free to jump into a room's track at any time to do time trials, and the game will let you know when there's a race starting. When the race does start, you'll automatically be whisked away to the starting line from your time trials. While the selection of online opponents was limited on these pre-release days, every match I was in worked beautifully. Polyphony Digital has put together a really polished, attractive online experience, and it comes complete with mail, messaging, and even your own lounge. There's plenty of room for online to flourish once the game gets in the hands of racing fans.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-gran-turismo-5-188383.phtml

mr stroke

Dreams-Visions said:
scores won't deter the dedicated. but I'm sure PD and those on the fence will be disappointed.

these scores are middle-of-the-road for premiere racing games this gen. a bitter pill for those waiting 6 years and expecting nothing less than near- universal acclaim in the 90%+ range.

+1

For someone like my self(casual racing fan who only has time to play one racer this year) these scores are disappointing after the years it took to develop this game. May end up picking up NFS instead.

Yeah, kinda expected from what i've seen these past days.

It's a game that's so incredibly ambitious.. It's almost impossible to live up.
I'm sure it will sell a gazillion copies, but i can't help but feel a bit sad for the devs.
I'm certain that this is not the game they had in mind.

In the end you have a game that is a good sim, but with a lot of not that goodlooking cars and tracks, sounds that are hit or miss, awefully long loading times and the gameplay: you're driving a virtual car in circles.

Kuran

Banned
mr stroke said:
+1

For someone like my self(casual racing fan who only has time to play one racer this year) these scores are disappointing after the years it took to develop this game. May end up picking up NFS instead.

Are you kidding me?

Requeim

TruePrime said:
It maybe me, but I don't care what it is, the idea of saying an 8 or even more so a fucking Nine is bad in any form is crazy talk to me.

I agree, but not even perfect scores across the board would be enough for some of the people in this thread :lol

edit:

mr stroke said:
+1

what the fuck

expy

Banned
mr stroke said:
+1

:lol :lol :lol

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
mr stroke said:
+1

Oh dang

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm really disappointed to hear about the multiplayer side of things (No car classes online, lack of time trial leaderboards) but I just know that this game will handle like a dream with the G27.

okenny

Banned
Linconan said:
(General)

Even though this'll probably fall on def ears.
And/or care.

Reviews don't make the game, Good, Bad, and the Ugly.
People need to play it for themselves whether i'd be renting or buying, to make up their own mind if they're interested in this genre or not.

Sadly though, we're in the day n age where people think Reviewers are the gaming gods and they know best :lol

Me, I like making up my own mind. You?

From 7 to 10, tells you something though.
People have different 'opinions', and thats all.

*burp..
There's my DrPhil comment.

This post should be reviewed...

Sensibility: 9
Graphics: 3
Value: 9
--------------------
Total Avg: 7

Remember: Numbers are part of mathimatics and math is objective thus if reviews use numeric scores then they must also be objective :|

Huggers

Just fully read through Eurogamers review. Fantastic, absolutely sums up how I feel about the game. The closing paragraph is great.

NHale

marc^o^ said:
I'm trying to understand how the PHENOMENAL game I've been playing these last 4 days can get 8/10 scores from gamers. I mean, I could mentaly accept my mom not to see the quality difference between this and other racing games, but come on, journalists? I can't find any explanation, it's as if Half Life 2 or Mario Galaxy 2 received such scores in their time. Pinacle of the genre: 8/10. Riiiight.

You can't be serious. After all the talk about GT5 there is no way this game was going to be well received by the gaming media.

Everyone was already tired of talking about GT5 and then Sony gives them review copies 3 days before the embargo? I'm sure a lot of them were pissed about having so little time to play the game in time for having a review online as soon as possible. Unfortunately, only a small minority of people care about reviews 1/2 weeks after release, so Sony asked for rushed reviews.

It's a shame this is the state of gaming media but they only give what the general audience wants.

i_am_ben said:
this thread is behaving far too rational at the moment.
rational people are posting right now.

despite the people who are only posting emoticons n' over-reactionary shit.

and yes, Turn10 is giggling themselves to sleep now. I might be wrong, but I don't think it's possible for GT5 to outscore Forza 3 (overall average scoring) at this point. Not in at the major review sites, anyway. That really was the expectation for most. If we're honest about it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
HK-47 said:
Turn 10 must be feeling smug right now.
Haha you bet your ass. And not without reason, they really hit the spot when FM3 came out. No question about it.

Seems like GT5 is having a harder time landing overall, but for the hardcore simmers, which essentially are the people PD are talking to, this game should be heaven.

Beth Cyra

HK-47 said:
Turn 10 must be feeling smug right now.

Why because some people think there game is better then GT5?

We didn't need reviewes to come out to tell us some would prefer Forza to GT5, same goes in reverse.

If you mean Metacritic or Gamerankings then eh really they come across more douchy if they try to use that shit so I don't really care.

wmat said:
Haha you bet your ass. And not without reason, they really hit the spot when FM3 came out. No question about it.

Seems like GT5 is having a harder time landing overall, but for the hardcore simmers, which essentially are the people PD are talking to, this game should be heaven.
eeeeeeh I dunno about that.

I don't think there were 14 million hardcore GT3 players out there. I think GT has a lot of casual appeal. It's just that it's more than deep enough for the dedicated to really enjoy.

Loudninja said:
About what a handful of scores?
well...it's the only measuring stick used to determine what games may be better than others. and it's kinda more than a handful. Almost all of the biggies have spoken.

mr stroke

Kuran said:
Are you kidding me?

not at all

as I said in my post, I am a CAUSAL racing fan. As someone that only has time for one racer this holiday it will be the better game. Yes NFS and GT are different animals but Ill take what ever is better. So far the low scores and bad online impressions are a turn off. I guess its my fault for expecting the second coming of Christ with this game

Top Bottom