• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

Omiee

i realy was expecting way higher scores, i mean i am freaking loving this game.
ah well, i can def see edge giving it a 6.

Aselith

Pandemic said:
I'm surprised by the scores.

A game under development for 6 years and only got an 8.5 from IGN...? :S

I believe they only add 1.0 to the score if development takes more than 4 years.
What the fuck?

Pandemic said:
I'm surprised by the scores.

A game under development for 6 years and only got an 8.5 from IGN...? :S
Really? This is the metric by which we review games?

Also, everyone should read the Eurogamer review. It's really well written.

BeeDog

An supposedly inconsistent game gets an inconsistent range of review scores. Not too surprised :p Picking up my copy in ~6 hours, gah!

Omiee

still going to sell millions though and people will love it, there is nothing like driving around with rain in the night in a sls on nurburgring.

Pandemic

opticalmace said:
Really? This is the metric by which we review games?

Also, everyone should read the Eurogamer review. It's really well written.
Sorry, I mean the scores in general are lower than I expected, but I guess it all comes down to the personal opinion of the consumer.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The Joystiq review was rather vague, I couldn't really do anything with it.

The Destructoid review is very informative.

My biggest complaint aimed at the series is the fucked menu system garbage; it was always hell. So if that's fixed and the rest is up to par, I'd heartily recommend the game to anyone.

Mush

Who ever is waiting for review scores to decide whether to jump in or not is doing it wrong. This was always going to be a love it or hate it game.

Alx

Ha, I like Joystiq's conclusion (don't care if it is accurate or not, but it's funny :D)

Here's the deal: If you're one of those car nuts I mentioned earlier, here's your game. Have fun, we'll see you in a year when you finally leave the house. If you're not in that group -- you like, even love racing games, but care less about tuning and more about the thrill of the race -- GT5 is like walking in on a group of physicists discussing string theory and asking who wants to go toss around a ball for a bit. You're looking to have fun; they're only interested in studying the math behind how it bounces.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Mush said:
Who ever is waiting for review scores to decide whether to jump in or not is doing it wrong. This was always going to be a love it or hate it game.

Mush
(Today, 03:53 AM)

You're right though. If it's the same old awesome GT gameplay then I'm good to go.

BeeDog

The only thing that surprises me is the amount of reviews this early, seeing as how the online mode was enabled just yesterday. Hopefully some outlets will have separate reviews for the online mode.

hatchx

Banned
Mush said:

Hearing how piss-poor the online implementation is a pretty big disappointment for me. It's not the scores that are surprising, but some of the odd design choices. I was on the fence about this one but I think I'll pass in favor of something else.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
wmat said:
The Joystiq review was rather vague, I couldn't really do anything with it.

The Destructoid review is very informative.

My biggest complaint aimed at the series is the fucked menu system garbage; it was always hell. So if that's fixed and the rest is up to par, I'd heartily recommend the game to anyone.

I've been reading through these and the menus being overly obtuse and annoying is a common complaint.

scores won't deter the dedicated. but I'm sure PD and those on the fence will be disappointed.

these scores are middle-of-the-road for premiere racing games this gen. a bitter pill for those waiting 6 years and expecting nothing less than near- universal acclaim in the 90%+ range.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
from my limited exposure to this game:

car enthusiasts will be enthusiastic.

GAF being down meant i got to go for a walk outside. I like fresh air. I give it a 10/10, will not be buying or playing the game but I know you'll like it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This was always going to be a love it or hate it game.

don't agree fully - things have been fine up until GT PSP where they just had some insane ideas that simply sucked.

Sounds like some of those ideas have filtered over into GT5 for a start - so i think the game can be measured in a different way - i don't think it's a simple love hate thing.

Infact, seems a hanful of people who love the game are also throwing their hands up in the air and going "WHAT?!" too.

Still getting it regardless of reviews but i don't think we can shirk this off as just down to a love/hate relationship with GT5/Sims. If it is down to bad design choices, then bad design choices are to blame. *shrug*

KingDizzi

Banned
BeeDog said:
The only thing that surprises me is the amount of reviews this early, seeing as how the online mode was enabled just yesterday. Hopefully some outlets will have separate reviews for the online mode.

Well that's Sonys fault and they are paying for it now. It only got to the reviewers this week so they have had basically 48 hours to play the game as much as possible and then get a review ready, unless they were somehow able to stay up for most of that time I seriously doubt they got too far into the game. Shambolic what has gone on with this game. :O

NeoUltima said:
Wow, shame to hear about shitty multiplayer. No matchmaking and shitty netcode :/

MP is far from shitty, needs more option but shitty? Far from it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CrushDance said:
The game isn't polished enough
what were they doing over there? what is this game? I'm so confused.

CrushDance said:
8 and 9 are bad scores?
more 8's than 9's for a Gran Turismo game? yes. of course these are low by GT standards. I'd be like Halo or Half-Life average 8's. great scores for most games, disappointing scores for elite franchises.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
seady said:
The scores not looking pretty.

How can I POSSIBLY enjoy the game like this? BAH! *feeds his wolves with the shredded pieces of GT5 disc*

Yoboman

It seems like a lot of these flaws are just being blown out of proportion and reviewers are losing site of the actual product

I mean they seem more concerned with the menu set up than the actual gameplay

Jay Sosa

And that's an accusation that can sadly be levelled squarely at Gran Turismo 5's overall single-player offering. Once more it's a lifeless grind through a series of races where it's more often than not simply a case of having the right machinery beneath you rather than a test of any real driving skill[/B]. It's enlivened by some special events where the dead-eyed likenesses of NASCAR's Jeff Gordon and the voice of WRC star Sebastien Loeb will guide you through their respective disciplines, but ultimately it's a shame that Polyphony didn't take the opportunity to revise a formula that was already feeling stale six years ago.

While I do agree I don't understand why they seem to realize/mention that just now? Didn't seem to bother them when they reviewed all the other GTs..

Not to beat a dead horse but how can a game like GTA 4 that lacks nearly all the features of it's predecessors (the only thing that's arguably better are the graphics) get a better/perfect score and a game like GT5 that basically is the same game with now even more features get a lower score?

I mean yeah it's IGN and they're batshit insane but still.

KingDizzi said:
Well that's Sonys fault and they are paying for it now. It only got to the reviewers this week so they have had basically 48 hours to play the game as much as possible and then get a review ready, unless they were somehow able to stay up for most of that time I seriously doubt they got too far into the game. Shambolic what has gone on with this game. :O
yes but GT is not a new IP. It's a known quantity. I wouldn't think they needed to play the game for 80 hours to know what they were playing and evaluate its virtues and flaws.

Top Bottom