• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

spwolf

Zzoram said:
Unlike Bethesda though, PD had 6 years to make and polish this game. You don't really have an excuse for lack of polish when you get 6 years to develop a game instead of the typical 2 years.

right, they should have taken 2 years, took out 50% of the features and still sell it to you for $60... that would make you feel better, right?

Trickster

spwolf said:
right, they should have taken 2 years, took out 50% of the features and still sell it to you for $60... that would make you feel better, right?

What game are you talking about? ( I know the answer, but I just want people to see that what you brought up has nothing to do with what you're quoting )

Curufinwe

Zzoram said:
Unlike Bethesda though, PD had 6 years to make and polish this game. You don't really have an excuse for lack of polish when you get 6 years to develop a game instead of the typical 2 years.

They also made GT 5 Prologue and GT PSP during that time.

Curufinwe

Kuran said:
What the fuck is wrong with GameTrailers that it took them this long to review one of the most important releases of the year?

Good on them for not rushing their review. I wish more sites showed that much integrity.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Gaming Union - 9/10
http://www.gamingunion.net/reviews/gran-turismo-5--389.html

Gran Turismo 5 is without a doubt, the best simulation driving experience ever produced. It features a ton of cars, a ton of tracks and the relationship between the two is outstanding. However, there's a big difference between simulation driving and race simulation and it's here that Gran Turismo 5 starts to fail. The AI is terrible and it rather ruins that aspect of the game. The graphics are also not up to the standard that's expected, but that's probably because they've tried to do too much. All in all, Gran Turismo 5 is still a beast of a game and what it fails to achieve certainly shouldn't gloss over what it does achieve. It's a leading light in the world of simulation driving games.
Pretty much everybody's conclusion :)

Firewire

Banned
This 6 year argument that keeps getting thrown around is so bogus. PD have basically made 4 games in that 6 year period since GT4...

Tourist Trophy
GT5 Prologue
GTPSP
GT5

It's also interesting that some reviewers can't seem to grasp this as well.

Firewire said:
This 6 year argument that keeps getting thrown around is so bogus. PD have basically made 4 games in that 6 year period since GT4...

Tourist Trophy
GT5 Prologue
GTPSP
GT5

Only real games count!

iam220

Gran Turismo 5 is without a doubt, the best simulation driving experience ever produced. It features a ton of cars, a ton of tracks and the relationship between the two is outstanding. However, there's a big difference between simulation driving and race simulation and it's here that Gran Turismo 5 starts to fail. The AI is terrible and it rather ruins that aspect of the game. The graphics are also not up to the standard that's expected, but that's probably because they've tried to do too much. All in all, Gran Turismo 5 is still a beast of a game and what it fails to achieve certainly shouldn't gloss over what it does achieve. It's a leading light in the world of simulation driving games.

Woah. I, uh, wouldn't go that far ...

spats

Well, now that GT5 has been trashed by reviewers and tanked at retail I hope PD gets back to Motor Toon Grand Prix. Sony could use a new one of those in their portfolio. I just wish the layoffs won't be too bad.

marc^o^

Lazy Gamer - 8.9/10
http://www.lazygamer.net/gran-turismo-5-review-heres-to-the-dreamers/

Gran Turismo 5 is hands-down the best simulation driving experience that you will have this year and probably for a long time to come. The handling and the realism is enough to get any car fan tingling with delight as they nail a perfect line.

This is however, a video game that comes with baggage and excuses that no paying customer should have to ever even think about. As an old and beloved series from a talented team of developers, it’s difficult to keep a balanced and fair opinion of this latest entry in the series.

The truth is that Gran Turismo 5 is the very best dedicated driving sim experience ever created but as a video game, it’s let down by a ridiculous standard/premium car class system, completely inconsistent levels of quality, terrible A.I and features that should be universal.

If you are willing to overlook the archaic game design and technological niggles found in Gran Turismo 5, you will be rewarded with the best and most realistic driving experience you have ever had on your console, bar none.

Dead Man

Firewire said:

Tourist Trophy
GT5 Prologue
GTPSP
GT5

Of course, GT5 assets were developed from GT5P and GTPSP, so I don't think it's unreasonable to include them in the dev time. It was basicallt TT, then everything on GT5, releasing Prologue, which was a work in progress for GT5, and PSP, which had a bunch of its models reused for GT5.

marc^o^

WorthPlaying: 9/10
http://worthplaying.com/article/2010/12/10/reviews/78758/

Though GT 5 screws up a lot of the details, the overall experience remains one of the best in gaming, and Polyphony proves once more that when it comes to realistic racing, it’s on a whole different plane than the competition. When you get through the annoying distractions and it’s just you and the open road, the game is poetry in motion. It’s easy to lose yourself in the moment and just imagine for a second that you’re really driving that super-powered beast of a machine and doing a pretty good job of it. It’s these moments that make the wait well worth it and prove that no matter how long we had to wait, Gran Turismo 5 delivers.

Top Bottom