• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Review Thread

nib95

Banned
jett said:
Nice reviews, sums up nearly every feature and shortcoming of the game. In the end the driving model surpasses all negatives.

I have to say I'm surprised that visuals turned out to be the most disappointing thing about GT5, or at least the thing reviewers seem to harp the most on. Who would have thought that half a year ago? :p

Which is also why I think it is likely something that GT of all franchises would be lambasted for more than if it were another game, purely because of the expectations. PD should have just stuck with 720p and blown out with the effects with good up-scaling. Because it's 720p definitely looks blurrier than other 720 PS3 exclusives such as GOW3, Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2.

watership

Gouty said:
Decent review but they glazed over the lousy UI.
They didn't glaze over it completely. The reviewer/reviewers just thought that the core driving mechanic was enough to overshadow the flaws. For some that might be okay, but it's less a racing game, and more a great driving physics engine.

watership said:
They didn't glaze over it completely. The reviewer/reviewers just thought that the core driving mechanic was enough to overshadow the flaws. For some that might be okay, but it's less a racing game, and more a great driving physics engine.

Some might call it a Real Driving Simulator.

Gametrailers had a pretty good review. Missed loading times but everything else they said was spot on. Great sim, wtf presentation.

nib95

Banned
watership said:

I personally disagree. I think the two in many ways are mutual, and for me GT5 is consoles best racing and driving simulator. Especially at the later levels.

Though I still think Shift's weird blur warp speed style effect along with the shattered glass and haze effect from crashes is the most exhilarating in an arcade sense.

Dead Man

ashbash159 said:
I read it and I have to agree with Dave's review. The summary at the bottom sums up my feelings perfectly.

The driving is so good I could drive for years but everything that isn't driving is shit.
I was going to post a long spiel, but you have saved me the trouble. Sums it up perfectly.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much agree with the GameTrailer's review. Looks like they really took time to play the game before reviewing it. Nice score as well.

Dead Man

MDJCM said:
On the other hand, GT has never had racing this good, and i'm satisfied with the upgrade in AI

I wonder how much effort Yamauchi will put into the DLCs
I'd be more satisfied if the collision physics wasn't still so one sided.

scandisk_ said:
Pretty much agree with the GameTrailer's review. Looks like they really took time to play the game before reviewing it. Nice score as well.
most who posted their reviews this week instead of last took the time to play the game...

Zaptruder

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
OUCH.

well...I'm sure 5 or 6 months from now, GAF will probably more universally agree that GT5 is not the polished product it should have been.

GiantBomb represents "the darkest corners of the internet"?

really?

It's polished... but not in the ways it should be.

Most of the issues of GT5 are issues that arise from a lack of insight rather than issues that arise from lack of time... which are generally problems of polish.

My 2 cents; PD needs to hire a proper game designer. Preferably a western one.

The strengths of the japanese lie largely in attention to detail in core gameplay fundamentals.

How far a character should jump, the momentum, the height, what happens on landing, the frame of invunerability, etc.

For a game where the core gameplay emerges out of the pedantic simulation of something that already exists in the real world; these strengths are largely negated and nullified.

What's left in their arsenal then is a tradition for generally less than stellar UI interactions and arbitrary limitations/restrictions/options that serve to hamper the core gameplay rather than enhance it.

Just finished a play session with a friend and I have to say that I'm super impressed by the game. At first I wanted reviewers to turn the screws on this game, but after playing it (with a wheel) I have to say that the reviews that fall below 80% are really missing the point.

I played a ton of GT through GT3 and that love came right back when I got behind the wheel. Sure, the dirt or snow model isn't as good as other games that focus on those elements, but it doesn't hurt to have them in either. If you love racing you are going to love everything that GT has to offer.

Of course I think that there is room to criticize the game though. I would have preferred that PD used the time and money to include Nascar and kart racing to create more premium car models instead. Some of my favorites are missing interiors and that's very important to me. In fact, I think that we would have been much better served if the front end for GT5 allowed for a more modular product. If they could have released the game a year ago and delivered karts and Nascar as paid content I think we would have been much better served.

GT5 is impressive. It feels great, it looks great, and I've got to agree that it rises above it's issues.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Digital Chumps Review - 9/10
http://digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/35-ps3/6719-gran-turismo-5.html

Gran Turismo 5 has a laundry list of puzzling inconsistencies. Logic suggests that should irritate my gaming sensibilities, but I can't help but feel it's like buying a Ferrari and then complaining the heater isn't the greatest heater to have ever warmed a car. You can either waste time poking fun at its mortality or get behind the wheel and drive the holy screaming crap out of it. Which one do you think is more fun? Gran Turismo 5 operates under an identical premise; the core experience provides a racing simulation of unmatched fidelity, one where every thread unravels in dozens of different directions and grants its own unique sense of satisfaction.

Great review.

marc^o^

Tech2- GT5 is Driving Perfection
http://tech2.in.com/india/reviews/ps3-games/gran-turismo-5-driving-perfection/158122/0

Gran Turismo 5 is an amazing achievement, whatever issues it has is washed away in a tsunami of absolute driving perfection. There are very few games out there that teach you something every step of the way and that is what Gran Turismo 5 has done. It taught me how to drive, and fulfilled my childhood dream of driving the cars I loved (well, virtually).

If you want to experience the best in driving simulation, Gran Turismo 5 is a must buy. It took me one race to figure that out, where all the problems just melted away and I entered driving nirvana. It was where the game just clicked for me, hope it does the same for you.

J-Rzez

LiK said:

Wow, I have to say if GT continues to do reviews of this quality it'll be my first-stop. That was really-really fairly done, and touches so many aspects of the game (though it's hard to get into all of them in a 10min vid).

How I feel on the game is this. It has some real-lows that I would never expect to see from a game of this caliber, it's highs, it's physics engine being incredible (probably the most shocking thing I found from the game, the behavior and feel of weight along with actually quasi-feeling the car about to break loose), and it's incredible breadth of content, it is the king of the sims once again, and it's going to take an extreme effort to match it. Even the areas where it may lack (face it, it's not a focused rally racer), it's still incredibly passable which inflates the value of the game exponentially. But those areas where excels, it just absolutely blows the competition away.

If I had to pick one racing game to play, this is it. Hopefully it'll just force others like T10 and the PC sim makers to push the envelope of their next iterations. We need this genre to live on, and not get dumbed down to levels that the FPS genre is headed.

Forsete

Gold Member
Svenska Dagbladet 6/6
http://www.svd.se/kulturnoje/spel/nyheter/en-fralsningsupplevelse_5763549.svd

During the six years which have passed since Gran Turismo 4 was presented, many developers have pumped out racing games after racing games, desperately trying to find different gimmicks (car chases? Nitrogen? Power-ups? Spectacular crashes?) to get attention. Polyphony Digital have instead concentrated on details which shows that their love for cars and motor-sport brink on obsession.

Its hard to single out which particular regulator they have fine-tuned in order to create that special racing experience in Gran Turismo 5. The result is that curve after curve is a clear delight in trying to find the perfect balance between gas, break and amount of steering – carefully and aggressively – to improve the lap times. While I in other racing games impatiently throw myself between different tracks, here I can instead sit a whole day and just wear down Nürburgring Nordschleife, where the different sections and curves are presented with the care of a maître at a gourmet diner.
It’s not worse that the delicacy is enjoyed in a Mercedes 300SL Coupe -54.

The one thing I find most baffling is the fact you can't simply browse the entire selection of standard cars. It's fucking retarded.

marc^o^

Play.tm - 89%
http://play.tm/review/32560/gran-turismo-5/

despite its faults, we've become utterly addicted to GT5. It may not have all the core components down to a tee, but its heart is most definitely in the right place, and the action is undeniably fantastic. There's easily over 100 hours worth of playtime bundled in, and we honestly cannot wait to see every single one of them through.

Gran Turismo 5 is a love letter to racing fanatics, but also the perfect entry point for more casual players. It plays like a dream, and as long as you can forgive the occasional hiccup here and there, you'll find yourself completely enthralled.

DeadGzuz

Banned
jett said:
I have to say I'm surprised that visuals turned out to be the most disappointing thing about GT5, or at least the thing reviewers seem to harp the most on. Who would have thought that half a year ago? :p

Funny, if I didn't read the forums and see all the janky screenshots or read the DF "analysis" I would say GT5 is the best looking driving game period. When I'm driving through London or watching my B-spec driver do a lap I see a downright gorgeous game. I've seen a few screen tears here and there, but nothing like the forums would indicate. The extra vertical resolution from the 1080 lines really make the difference for myself. Maybe they should patch in an option for a performance mode (720P 2xAA or just TAA).

After reading all the reviews, I would most likely skip the game after all the complaints. Since I actually have the game, I must say that I would have made the biggest mistake in my gaming career. If you have ANY, ANY love for cars, DO NOT SKIP THIS GAME. It is superb in what it does. I wholeheartedly agree with GT. 9/10 is about right, IMO.

Lagspike_exe said:
After reading all the reviews, I would most likely skip the game after all the complaints. Since I actually have the game, I must say that I would have made the biggest mistake in my gaming career. If you have ANY, ANY love for cars, DO NOT SKIP THIS GAME. It is superb in what it does. I wholeheartedly agree with GT. 9/10 is about right, IMO.

I'm not even a huge car fan and it's my GOTY.

Lagspike_exe said:
Sooo true. Been listening to a few podcasts and all they are going about are the door handles of cars. I mean if you're going to be that nit picky than don't pick this game up but if you love racing than this is THE game for you.

marc^o^

LabouredSubterfuge said:
I'm not even a huge car fan and it's my GOTY.
Same with me. GT5 is actually the best game I have played these last years. I have been quite addicted with Uncharted 2 and all PES Wii, but the wheel... the perfect feeling of driving with the wheel makes it a visceral experience, nothing comes close to it.

Those blocky shadows are such a disappointment plastered on those car models.

The UI stuff is what drives it into "wait for platinum hits" territory for me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Kabuki Waq said:
but not a Racing game sadly.
I was about to scream at you until I realized, you're right. :lol

As a racing game, no, it's not all that great. As a driving game, it surpasses any game out there currently. The act of driving in GT5 is so unlike anything I've ever played...it is a masterpiece. An absolute masterpiece.

But racing (as far as other car's AI, and the events available outside of the excellent Special Events) does leave some things to be desired. Some people can't get past that, and I can understand that. But man, the driving in this game...it is so good. So, so good.

The Real Driving Simulator indeed.

-viper-

Banned
nib95 said:
I personally disagree. I think the two in many ways are mutual, and for me GT5 is consoles best racing and driving simulator. Especially at the later levels.

Though I still think Shift's weird blur warp speed style effect along with the shattered glass and haze effect from crashes is the most exhilarating in an arcade sense.
Motion blur is great when implemented properly. In Shift, it just blurred the shit out of everything and it looked terrible.

sarcoa

marc^o^ said:
Thanks to you, your review was one of the very best I've read (and I read them all :)
flyinpiranha said:
You wrote that? Very well done indeed.

Glad you guys liked my review. We're a smaller site, but we have some great connections and even better writers. :D

Zzoram

SolidSnakex said:
I think most people agree with that already, so you don't need to wait 5-6 months. But it's not like it's some Bethesda game in terms of its lack of polish.

Unlike Bethesda though, PD had 6 years to make and polish this game. You don't really have an excuse for lack of polish when you get 6 years to develop a game instead of the typical 2 years.

Zzoram said:
Unlike Bethesda though, PD had 6 years to make and polish this game. You don't really have an excuse for lack of polish when you get 6 years to develop a game instead of the typical 2 years.

5 years. And Oblivion took 4 years to make.

They also didn't release 3 games and a free mini game during that time.

marc^o^

chubigans said:

As a racing game, no, it's not all that great. As a driving game, it surpasses any game out there currently. The act of driving in GT5 is so unlike anything I've ever played...it is a masterpiece. An absolute masterpiece.

But racing (as far as other car's AI, and the events available outside of the excellent Special Events) does leave some things to be desired. Some people can't get past that, and I can understand that. But man, the driving in this game...it is so good. So, so good.

Melfice7

Zzoram said:
PD had 6 years to make and polish this game. You don't really have an excuse for lack of polish when you get 6 years to develop a game instead of the typical 2 years.

Why not stretch it to 7 while you're at it?

chubigans said:

What bugs me is it appears they are still using the same slot car opponent AI they've been using since the first game.

And it's way to easy to play bumper cars to take the first turn without slowing down and then play the rest of the race in 1st place.

I know you don't have to play that way but in a "simulator" it should not even be possible.

SonOfABeep said:
What bugs me is it appears they are still using the same slot car opponent AI they've been using since the first game.

And it's way to easy to play bumper cars to take the first turn without slowing down and then play the rest of the race in 1st place.

I know you don't have to play that way but in a "simulator" it should not even be possible.

Dunno what GT5 you've been playing... If I crash into a car without stopping without skid recovery force (that's basically "standard physics") and all aids off chances are I'll spin out.

LCfiner

Metalmurphy said:
Dunno what GT5 you've been playing... If I crash into a car without stopping without skid recovery force (that's basically "standard physics") and all aids off chances are I'll spin out.

eh, I’ve also been playing with all assists off and with a wheel and it’s totally possible to use cars on the outside of a turn as bumpers to overtake them.

You hear the thump inside your car and the side of your bumper will look melted but there’s no real difference in the technique compared to older GT games.

I’ve also had many, many occasions where I’m trying to draft behind a car and then I brake a bit late and end up bumping them. I’m not spinning out at all. you really gotta hit them at an angle or at super high speeds to cause a spin out.

Metalmurphy said:

What GT have you been playing? ... you can still easily do bumper car to go aroung the turn. I play with wheel and with most aid turn off.

Anyway, I still love the game despite all the shorcoming (and there are plenty). I am not sure why some of you are so ready to chomp at the bit at the slightest negative mentioning about GT5.

Kuran

Banned
What the fuck is wrong with GameTrailers that it took them this long to review one of the most important releases of the year?

Kuran said:
What the fuck is wrong with GameTrailers that it took them this long to review one of the most important releases of the year?
Would you rather they rushed it? Even looking at the video alone, you see parts from later segments in the game, currency and so forth. Not to mention the person playing also raced very well! I'd rather see reviews come out maybe a week or a month after releases. So many games get away with bs prior to release it controlled environments(private servers, being flown out, gift bags etc). And then we get the games and lo and behold, broken laggy servers, glitches, wtf mechanics and glossed over areas. The review system is more designed for hype I think.

modulaire

Kuran said:

They got their copy really late (Sony sent them out almost at launch date), and then there was Thanksgiving, and they wanted to play the game for a few days at least. That's why they decided to take their time with the review and not rush it out after playing with GT for 1 or 2 days.

they talk about it in their Invisible Walls-podcast

rvy

Banned
Kuran said:
You're upset that they actually took time to review the game properly? Fucking hell.

Top Bottom