• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Dead Man

GRID had a really fun career mode. You start small, and as you complete races you make money to improve your ride, gain sponsors, and can expand into other racing leagues. It felt very progressive. It wasn't about MOAR CARZ! It was more about building a competitive racing team.

Or he could be talking about the racing itself, which was also great. The handling was ass, but the AI was super aggressive and reactive, and the races were all about paint swapping and grinding.

Easily my second favorite race game this generation.
Yeah, thinking about it, GRID did keep most of the good stuff I was talking about, they just covered it in shit.

Niks

7 months, still no Acura NSX Concept. Ridiculous.

MC4Dz.jpg

paskowitz

Paris or LA Auto shows in the coming months are good places to look. The interior will likely be revealed there (I talked to the guy who designed the car). I would put my money on LA. Once the interior is revealed (IE finished, IE they are still working on it and that is why it has not been shown) the car should appear in GT5.

Also just in case people do not know... this car is going to be awesome. Acura set some pretty lofty goals when building this car: faster than the GTR (this is defined by Nurburgring lap time), with the fit and finish of a super car (Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche), cheaper than mid range super car bracket (458, MP4-12C, Gallardo) and as fuel efficient as an Accord. The only point that I am not 100% confident in (based on my talks with the designer and lead engineer) is being faster than the GTR... because... well if Porsche can't do it... Acura... eh...

well if Porsche can't do it... Acura... eh...

The V10 NSX proto a few years ago was already poised to be faster than the GTR and LFA before it got canned so I dont see how the new one cant get the job done.

As far as Porsche is concerned, I simply dont think they're trying hard enough. If they really wanted to, they can beat the GTR but for whatever reason they choose to ignore the situation and go about their daily lives.

Its the same reason why Ferrari doesnt care that the Zonda R smashed the 599XX in Ring lap times. I'm sure theyre more than capable of beating the Zonda if they really put some effort, but they dont care much like Porsche.

paskowitz

The V10 NSX proto a few years ago was already poised to be faster than the GTR and LFA before it got canned so I dont see how the new one cant get the job done.

As far as Porsche is concerned, I simply dont think they're trying hard enough. If they really wanted to, they can beat the GTR but for whatever reason they choose to ignore the situation and go about their daily lives.

Its the same reason why Ferrari doesnt care that the Zonda R smashed the 599XX in Ring lap times. I'm sure theyre more than capable of beating the Zonda if they really put some effort, but they dont care much like Porsche.

Well the new NSX is going to be a six cylinder with 400-500hp. The V10 was planned to have 550hp+. The V10 also did not have to lug a hybrid system around. We will see.

In regards to Porsche, would you like to explain why they purchased a GTR, tore it apart and then subsequently issued a statement saying that they have no idea how Nissan built a car that goes around The Ring as fast as it did and that they must be cheating.

In regards to Porsche, would you like to explain why they purchased a GTR, tore it apart and then subsequently issued a statement saying that they have no idea how Nissan built a car that goes around The Ring as fast as it did and that they must be cheating.

The electronics probably play a BIG part in that, and its something you won't figure out by taking it apart, so it makes sense that they would say something like that.
Lol

What? Link please.

Porsche claims that it had been suspicious of the Nissan's lap times, so it acquired a U.S.-spec GT-R for testing back-to-back with its own 911 Turbo and GT2. The result? The mighty Godzilla was toppled by the Teutonic German duo, with the GT-R posting times a good 25-seconds slower than Nissan's claim.

How can Porsche explain the discrepancy? "This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production car. For us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tires," says August Achleitner, the man in charge of the 911 program. There is footage of the GT-R lapping the 'Ring at high speed, but it's taken from inside the car where the tires cannot be seen.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/30/porsche-accuses-nissan-gt-r-of-cheating-the-ring/

He joking calls it the "wonder car", but isn't the general consensus that it really is a wonder car. Especially for how much it costs. It seems like anyone that drives it walks away amazed by it.

amar212

Okay, this is hilarious :D

But first a disclaimer: this is just a *philosophy* contribution to this thread, just to provoke small potential discussion regarding mindsets of people who criticise GT5 in some ways just because it actually forces them to invest some effort, skill and time in order to combat challenge of the game.

We all remember the development regarding Seasonal races from introduction in early 2011 until today.

TL:DR: they were hard and restricted at the beginning, vocal minority was screaming about them being "broken", Polyphony made them easier (restrictions completely removed) and basically turned them into ATM's and made all more serious players disappointed.

18 months later we got a redesign with system called "Performance Point Adjustment" where you could use heavily-tuned car under some vague PP restrictions for normal payout or play with low-spec PP car for challenge and high payout - new/old twist was how restriction on tyre-compound was making a return. Everybody was happy. Or were they?

Also, we all know how tyres are what actually make a difference for many things in GT series: handling on the first place, speed through corners and max-speed and most importantly, complete sensation of the driving model.

So, latest Seasonals did not just introduce PP-adjustment, they've also made actual winning more challenging than before with placement of the leading cars in handicap zone of true challenge. Few weeks later since first introduction of such Seasonal (80's Japanese car) and one day after introducing a second, much more *attractive* Lamborghini Seasonal, this thread emerges on GTPlanet:

Are seasonals getting harder or is it just me.

Nevermind the actual discussion, here is the main point of the thread in post #19, which absolutely illustrates the mindset of majority of GT whiners:

Personally I don't like the 'new' seasonals. It's not that they're hard just the fact everything is already chosen for me, only thing i can change is the car/tune. Let me change the tyres then we'll see who beats who mr cpu.

Discuss! :)

paskowitz

But first a disclaimer: this is just a *philosophy* contribution to this thread, just to provoke small potential discussion regarding mindsets of people who criticise GT5 in some ways just because it actually forces them to invest some effort, skill and time in order to combat challenge of the game.

We all remember the development regarding Seasonal races from introduction in early 2011 until today.

TL:DR: they were hard and restricted at the beginning, vocal minority was screaming about them being "broken", Polyphony made them easier (restrictions completely removed) and basically turned them into ATM's and made all more serious players disappointed.

18 months later we got a redesign with system called "Performance Point Adjustment" where you could use heavily-tuned car under some vague PP restrictions for normal payout or play with low-spec PP car for challenge and high payout - new/old twist was how restriction on tyre-compound was making a return. Everybody was happy. Or were they?

Also, we all know how tyres are what actually make a difference for many things in GT series: handling on the first place, speed through corners and max-speed and most importantly, complete sensation of the driving model.

So, latest Seasonals did not just introduce PP-adjustment, they've also made actual winning more challenging than before with placement of the leading cars in handicap zone of true challenge. Few weeks later since first introduction of such Seasonal (80's Japanese car) and one day after introducing a second, much more *attractive* Lamborghini Seasonal, this thread emerges on GTPlanet:

Nevermind the actual discussion, here is the main point of the thread in post #19, which absolutely illustrates the mindset of majority of GT whiners:

That is GTPlanet dude.gif

/discussion

Dead Man

I've said it before , but at least in regards the Suzuaka challenge, you cannot beat it with less than the maximum allowed vehicle. In that sense it is broken.

As for the others, I think it should be easy to beat the race with the max vehicle for not much cash. The challenge should not be enforced, it should be optional. Increasing the reward for the difficulty if a fine way of doing that, but the spread needs to be correct.

The person ironically named "gtnoobie" had a good rebuttal.

They'll let you choose the tires. Just not what's better than theirs.

Anyway, if you use a better tires then all the efforts to make it difficult is nullified.

Used to play once a week for the seasonals and gold 1st or 2nd attempt and stopped. Now, these seasonals make me play more and bother with tuning. Frustrating yet fun.

At least getting gold is a small mark of achievement.

I think some people just buy Gran Turismo because it's a car game, and they expect a similar experience that you might get from NFS or Forza. You can't really expect them to understand the essence of GT is in the challenge and races aren't designed to be easily beaten on the first try. Best to just keep giving them the kiddy races.

amar212

Thanks for reminding me what's so great about GT5 amar. Was a blast.

Shame about that second race though haha.

Yeah, Deef Forest race was superb, shame I got goofed by dirty air on the braking and lost it, whiskey probably didn't help :D

I know you couldn't understand anything we talked, but it was hilarious. One of my friends was on constant rampage about default gearbox on Catherham and he just couldn't accept we race it without his beloved 6-speed shortcut trans. He was on that throughout the whole race, our complete conversation was about it.

Will not comment on the FT-86 race, I feel shame now ;)

Thanx for dropping by, feel free to drop in everytime you see us racing, we do usual sessions on Fridays/Saturdays evening - always stock-cars, default tyres, no assists. BTW I am glad to see you in the non-ABS Camp, so good.

offshore

Try not to gasp all at once, but GTP saying PD have scanned Silverstone/Stowe and it's coming to GT.

Why, why, why. Terrible circuit. Hope they at least went down to Brands and Donington as well while they were here.

Try not to gasp all at once, but GTP saying PD have scanned Silverstone/Stowe and it's coming to GT.

Why, why, why. Terrible circuit. Hope they at least went down to Brands and Donington as well while they were here.

I already played that track to death in the other game, and I dont like the track at all (boring would be an understatement)

I suppose they chose it due to its historical significance, etc.

It wont surprise me if the current layout is the only available version in future GT games. Spa/Monza didnt get special treatment like Fuji/Tsukuba did in GT4.

paskowitz

I already played that track to death in the other game, and I dont like the track at all (boring would be an understatement)

I suppose they chose it due to its historical significance, etc.

It wont surprise me if the current layout is the only available version in future GT games. Spa/Monza didnt get special treatment like Fuji/Tsukuba did in GT4.

They are likely including for future iterations of GT Academy.

Polyphony

No idea, these things are so wildly inconsistent. I remember that the FT 86 Concept II gift car was giftable since I received one from a member.

So, I need a wheel stand.

Is the wheel stand pro usable when using clutch? I'm really concerned about having the bar in the way when feet are switching from brakes to clutch or brakes to gas.

paskowitz

Is the wheel stand pro usable when using clutch? I'm really concerned about having the bar in the way when feet are switching from brakes to clutch or brakes to gas.

If you the tools, make your own. I find most wheel stands to be pretty flimsy. You may want to look into budget compact cockpits. Inside Sim Racing has reviewed a couple.

Never had the problem of the bar getting in the way. Pretty much haven't had any problems with the wheel stand pro since I purchased it around a year ago.

I will say it was the best purchase I made apart from my G25 for racing games. I play more casually and offline a lot so it was worth the investment at around £100, not too expensive and it's easy to pack away. Just check youtube if you want to see it in action and reviews.

If you the tools, make your own. I find most wheel stands to be pretty flimsy. You may want to look into budget compact cockpits. Inside Sim Racing has reviewed a couple.

I wanted to make one from wood. Even a foldable one. My wife said no way. It would have taken too much space even in it's compact form. Need something smaller like the WSP.

Will look into it more.

Top Bottom