• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Niks

is it me you're looking for?

8004348951_aab786bd5cdvo1o.jpg

dubc35

I like the updates and looking forward to the BRZ but nothing in here will make me return to the game for more than a couple days. We need more tracks. I understand PD is running a business and doesn't want to cannibalize GT6 revenue, but from a purely selfish point of view I want more tracks!

e* This isn't a troll post and I don't wan to be the negative guy; just posting how I feel about it. I say it because I want the game to be so good, I can see how it can be so good, yet it isn't there.

paskowitz

I like the updates and looking forward to the BRZ but nothing in here will make me return to the game for more than a couple days. We need more tracks. I understand PD is running a business and doesn't want to cannibalize GT6 revenue, but from a purely selfish point of view I want more tracks!

e* This isn't a troll post and I don't wan to be the negative guy; just posting how I feel about it. I say it because I want the game to be so good, I can see how it can be so good, yet it isn't there.

You are going to have to wait until GT6. Spa and Motegi were likely just not ready for GT5's release and needed some extra polish. They were put on the back burner to get other parts of the game done. I think this is also the case for the classic tracks that were leaked on the online website. For GT5 DLC PD decided to focus on the tracks that mattered most and were furthest in development, Spa and Motegi.

If you look now, PD's new track development is just starting. Bathurst, Silverstone, etc are just now (this year) being scanned. I am also going to assume Pikes Peak is being redone.

The good news is the potential track list for GT6 is HUGE and AWESOME! Take almost everything we have now and add the classic GT tracks and then add the tracks that are being scanned now. We are looking at almost 30 locations.

Ok now I got myself worked up, I have to make a wish list list...

Real Circuits (+variations):
-Circuit de la Sarthe (Proper classic version, Bugatti*)
-Zolder (Pre 2006 version, current version)
-Imola (Classic GP, current)
-Monza (Classic GP, oval)
-Watkins Glen (Classic GP, current)
-Circuit of the Americas (All versions)
-Fuji Speedway (Oval)

Sort of Real Circuits:
-Pikes Peak (Paved and half dirt)
-Cote De Azure (updated to current layout)
-Top Gear Test Track (no cones for the love of God)

I think classic versions of the great GP circuits would be the best addition. Imola and Zolder's old variants were absolutely amazing tracks. Watkins Glen was also pretty amazing. I really would like to see PD add these tracks with some more classic race cars and if licensing permits, some classic F1 cars.

Niks

I would pick Brands Hatch, Zaandvort and Road America.

For GT6 I want.

- DTM cars (bmw, merc and audi)
- FIA GT class cars (bmw z4, mercedes sls, lambo gallardo, mclaren mp4, Ferrari 458, aston martin DBRS9, Ford GT, Audi R8 and if possible the porsche 911 GT3)
- Super GT cars
- VLN cars
Bonus, Aussie V8 cars.

amar212

Thinking of this update, it seems how the work on GT6 engine is picking the pace, this update will fix 4 major *problems* of current state of GT5 engine and greatly improve overall physics-model:

- tyre wear algorithms (and probably new tyre-model too, every time they change something regarding tyres there is a new tyre-model somewhere below)
- suspension setup issues
- aerodynamic properties of the vehicles (drag is finally in it seems)
- analogue clutch - probably one of the most significant details that needed fix, it was a real game-breaker for all people that have/use H-shifter, and it finally means proper modelling of torque/clutch-slip and finally a way to further elevate in-race properties for braking-with-engine

Booo!
I was sure GTR GT Academy '12 was gonna be free.explains it.

It will be free for those that purchase "GOTY" edition GT5 Academy Edition that should land in Europe/PAL on September 29th.

This discrepancy of dates bothers me however, the update/DLC will certainly land in the same time for all regions, making GT-R potentially a "Trojan Horse" for all that buy it on 25th and get it for free only 4 days later if they opt for Academy Edition purchase. We shall see.

Any idea what this actually means?

It almost certainly finally means end of infamous "reverse suspension" settings - also known as "Boat Setup" - where you would raise front height and lower the rear height and actually gain on both driving characteristics and speed through corners. It is like that since GT4 but now it finally comes to an end.

Similar to announcement of the new aerodynamics, where actual drag will finally make a significant influence to speed and potentially tyre-wear too. It was a time to make an end to 25/25 setups too.

Where did the "could be weather permitting" come from? :p

It was a joke TBH, I had to make it as vague as possible :/

Syn23

For GT6 I want.

- DTM cars (bmw, merc and audi)
- FIA GT class cars (bmw z4, mercedes sls, lambo gallardo, mclaren mp4, Ferrari 458, aston martin DBRS9, Ford GT, Audi R8 and if possible the porsche 911 GT3)
- Super GT cars
- VLN cars
Bonus, Aussie V8 cars.
This would be really, really great.

Dead Man

It almost certainly finally means end of infamous "reverse suspension" settings - also known as "Boat Setup" - where you would raise front height and lower the rear height and actually gain on both driving characteristics and speed through corners. It is like that since GT4 but now it finally comes to an end.

Similar to announcement of the new aerodynamics, where actual drag will finally make a significant influence to speed and potentially tyre-wear too. It was a time to make an end to 25/25 setups too.

That would be welcome. Probably more for the guys that race online, but certainly good steps.

amar212

Turbofan is off? Nice, it'll be interesting driving it without that crazy downforce.

My thought exactly, I would like to try this driving.

Also, it is not the first time Japanese players have special event for X1. Backthan around Test Track DLC there was a Special Seasonal for X1 on Route X. It was a Japan exclusive event.

This white baby will look Stormtrooper mean.

kiyomi

Downloaded the update, went into an online lobby with 15 people and lo and behold, they were using the no-collisions thing.

Had a race with it, decided it's really not for me. I guess people will test it out at first. It's just weird. It makes the race feel like a glorified, 4 lap time trial. You don't even need to look or think about the people around you, you're just ghosting through everyone, so all you do is drive as fast as you can and hope for the best. To me that's not fun, but my guess is some people will like it, and some people will have it on in their lobbies simply to prevent rammers/griefers.

Best use of it I can think of so far is in serious leagues, they could use a short race as a pseudo-qualifying session.

Haven't had time to check the other updates, but I was happy when I read the notes and saw "It is now easier to hear your own car in online races". :D

Downloaded the update, went into an online lobby with 15 people and lo and behold, they were using the no-collisions thing.

Had a race with it, decided it's really not for me. I guess people will test it out at first. It's just weird. It makes the race feel like a glorified, 4 lap time trial. You don't even need to look or think about the people around you, you're just ghosting through everyone, so all you do is drive as fast as you can and hope for the best. To me that's not fun, but my guess is some people will like it, and some people will have it on in their lobbies simply to prevent rammers/griefers.

Best use of it I can think of so far is in serious leagues, they could use a short race as a pseudo-qualifying session.

Haven't had time to check the other updates, but I was happy when I read the notes and saw "It is now easier to hear your own car in online races". :D

Free run is already a pseudo-qualifying session. Also this used in a league where people don't abuse it can be a very good feature.

kiyomi

But I think in a race you get the advantage of a slipstream which you don't in free run. That's what I meant.

In a league where people don't abuse it? That's highly idealistic. Why not just drive cleanly? And by that I mean just generally, if you find a good room in the open lobby, standards are pretty reasonable in my experience. Personally I don't quite see the need for the feature, but it's neat for those who want it, I guess.

But I think in a race you get the advantage of a slipstream which you don't in free run. That's what I meant.
Yeah but people don't want the slipstream advantage in a qualifying session.

In a league where people don't abuse it? That's highly idealistic. Why not just drive cleanly? And by that I mean just generally, if you find a good room in the open lobby, standards are pretty reasonable in my experience. Personally I don't quite see the need for the feature, but it's neat for those who want it, I guess.
They do, but accidents do happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIwWXHkyODs

What the hell, the Japanese version has a commentator for the car info? Even for DLC cars? :eek: I had no idea.

kiyomi

Yeah but people don't want the slipstream advantage in a qualifying session.
Not everybody no, but I can see some leagues doing it. If that's how it works, of course. I can't say I actually noticed, I was driving at Rome :p

They do, but accidents do happen.

See I think that's exactly why I prefer not having it, I quite like the idea knowing the other opponents are human and that yeah, mistakes happen, and yeah, there might be consequences. Racing without those consequences isn't appealing to me.

Different sides of the same fence. I digress. :)

Niks

Yeah, I dont like it too...
I mean, Im glad they have it as an option, but it eliminates a big part of racing. Having the racing line, defensive driving, timing your passing move... to name a few.

MGR

There's now an option to determine the grid order based on the finishing order of the previous race.

I run a one-make series where the top 5 cars receive a PP handicap for the following race. Up until now I had to run a one-lap dash qualifying session before each race to try and keep the quicker cars up the front. Now I can just roll straight into another event with little racing downtime :)

is it really any surprise that the HSV sounds ummm "vacuumy"? come on GT's strong point has never been the sounds. On another note, any one tried the clutch post update?

not to start a fight(lol), but solidsnake and amar are the only two i remember from previous posts

I'm not by any means saying that GT5 cars sound good, but it's pretty clear they use their own digitalized sound with coding algorithms instead of using pre-recorded sounds, like NFS games use for example, that while sounding a hell of alot better, they don't actually portrait correctly what the car should be sounding on all depending on a certain situations. GT5s, while weak, are accurate (not on a sound level, but on a mechanical one, not sure if I'm making my self clear here lol)

That said, expecting the HSV to be any different then all other cars made no sense. You guys just like to set yourselves up for disappointment :p

I've seen standards on YouTube.

Mitsubishi Eclipse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wHerIHdLr0 (woman)
Bugatti Veyron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcX9o20TOA (man)
Alfa Romeo 155: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9a-566JMpI (man)

Even that shitty Suzuki Alto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJwfELDvT8

Well, I guess they do have the extra space from not having all the extra voice files for the extra languages.

amar212

not to start a fight(lol), but solidsnake and amar are the only two i remember from previous posts

I defend everything worth defending, not only GT, but it is always nice to see people recognising effort after so much time :)

Ever heard of the glorious console racer Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends? Well, that is the game which shortcomings I could defend to hell and back (with exception of AI routines in some cases).

But for this parricular "In-game sound vs. Youtube videos" I really do not give a damn :)

paskowitz

What is sad is that they obviously know how to get certain sounds correct (Ford GT, GTR, LFA, etc)... but just don't seem to even try on others.

Polyphony

Part of my feels like voting with my wallet so that PD finally acknowledges the problem with the sound. They did mention that sounds were going to be improved with GT5, and they have with a select amount of cars, but it's not enough.

Another part of me just wants to drive it, because that's why I play this game in the first place.

Top Bottom