• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

MGR

Seems that drafting is now turned on in free-run (aka qualifying mode) with no option to turn it off.

I really struggle to understand how PD can get so many aspects of the game near perfect yet still manage to make the most infuriating and baffling design choices.

offshore

A sound comparison between the C9 is a favourite.

Real

Forza 4

This is Polyphony's effort.

What's worrying is that when the C9 becomes premium, you can see them rocking with the exact same sound.

And someone also pointed out on GTP what might might be a worrying trend, in that this the kind of set up Turn 10 use to record:

mm6o2.png

Whereas this appears to be Polyphony's kind of setup:

It really doesn't look good.

rvy

Banned
That GTR2 video is of a mod. Simbin did not even make that car for GTR2 because GTR2 came out like a million years ago.

That makes it even worse.

I'll buy the cars regardless, because I begged for them for such a long time, but this is pathetic coming from a developer so obsessed with perfection.
Are they even aware of how shit their cars sound?

After a while i just learned to accept that fact that PD will never accept some things, so now that i have a good PC i can get the things that only PD does in GT and i can get the things they don´t do in other titles.

The best bits of five or six racing sims would make the perfect one, but unfortunately it doesn´t go like this.

Real

Forza 4

What's worrying is that when the C9 becomes premium, you can see them rocking with the exact same sound.

And someone also pointed out on GTP what might might be a worrying trend, in that this the kind of set up Turn 10 use to record:

Damn....PD really made a mess of the sound of the C9.

The fact that it's a mod is even more impressive and really puts PD's sound engineers to shame... lol
Bit off topic but this guy creates the most amazing and lively engine sounds for rFactor mods like HistorX (which is a TREMENDOUS mod from the physics all the way to the sounds) and he makes them with whatever sound files he can gather mostly from onboards and such.

Real

Forza 4

Not much change since GT2 then lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaN8YsL4fKE
(check out how young Kaz was lol)

Either way, I don't really think the sound recording is a problem. Start up sounds sound great for example, and some cars in GT5 do sound better then Forza, I just think translating them into the game engine is where things go wrong.

On an unrelated note, have you guys seen this photomode glitch? It allows you to move yourself and the car outside of the photolocation boundaries. Pretty awesome, you can go to the beach side at Kyoto Shoren.

https://vimeo.com/48356781

That's awesome. My biggest complaint about Photomode is not enough camera flexibility. I would like higher up views as well.

Also a "professional" mode to do some ridiculous camera tweaking.

EDIT: Come on PD... what the fuck at that sound.

Polyphony

Liveries would be nice. Not essential, but it would be fun to have. We could be pretending to race with all the different SuperGT HSVs right now.

Gran Iracing factor revolution: Forza Burns edition.

There, perfect racing game.

On a second thought, it would be like this:

Graphics - GT
Features - Forza
Customization - Rfactor
Variety - GT
Rules implementation - GTR
Driving model - GT
Tire model - Nobody
Online features - Iracing
Sound - Community mods
AI, drafting and overtaking - Nobody
Difficulty - Richard Burns
Tracks - GT
Cars - GT
Car roster balance - Forza
Simulation of a single category - Nascar 2003 season
Driving options - Any simbin title

That´s pretty much how i feel about racing games right now. Call me If somebody puts all those strong points together.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Custom liveries again ?

I wouldn't mind custom liveries, really. People that hate them don't understand it's an option (and really the devs/Forza need to allow an option to not see them kinda like FPS or yore had "same model" for FPS multiplayer matches for the sake of higher FPS from not having to load different models) and allows artistic expression.

(I'm kinda pissed that Forza 2->3 liveries didn't happen, have a Ikaruga car that someone did really good in Forza 2 that couldn't be brought to Forza 3 or 4. :()

So I bought the cars, and the HSV drove like a beast through Motegi. Feels good. The interiors for it and the GTR are damn good too.

Weird that the 'engines on' sound on the car select sounds good (no car is really loud there, so I can't say it is spot on) and during racing it sounds the usual GT sound.
I'm not sound savvy, so I usually wouldn't notice the difference, but yeah. Feels bad and disappointing knowing.
I hope there's a major audio revamp next iteration because I'll be buying a 7.1 set soon! :p I'd like to see a spec3.0 though before, milk that PD rock.

About liveries, I'd just repeat myself and say this should be one of their last priorities.

amar212

There, perfect racing game..

I raise you for the sometimes already mentioned Gran Turismo 5: Legacy Edition™ which would consist of majority of content/options already available on previous entries to the series that would bring immense addition to current format of the Gran Turismo 5.

Notice it is not list of anything new for the GT series, it is only list of features/assets we already had in previous GT games. Also notice I did not repeat the same features throughout the span of the series but instead opted to note them only with their initial appearance in particular game.

Also notice I did not included option to speed up the B-Spec races although it existed in GT4. I personally and subjectively find real-time B-Spec of GT5 the only good way to go since I actually find it a standalone real-time management mode with AI-behavior-development and not a way to quickly make money or easily finish endurances. So, when I mentioned B-Spec driver in GT4 description below, intention is to have him jump-in and drive his portion in the real-time.

Grand idea is to have this features from previous games included in current state of GT5. It goes something like this:

Gran Turismo 1
- dedicated music tunes for all segments of the game (including dealerships)
- laptimes and records tracked throughout the game and displayed accordingly
- scrollable list with all laptimes after the race with best lap highlighted
- strict restrictions for races
- SS11 with underpass
- GUI shortcuts for mall main game areas
- 1-400, 1-1000, max speed tests on NORMAL TEST TRACK
- Memory Card Battle (2P races should be called like that for nostalgia reason)

Gran Turismo 2
- greatest Time-Trial options ever (separate sector post-results monitoring, 3 types of ghosts, etc..)
- best Race Analysis tool in the series
- ability to rearrange cars through Garage
- Tahiti, Midfield, Red Rock Valley, Rome, Rome Night, Apricot Hill, Grindelwald, Seattle, rally tracks..
- monitoring and tracking highest speed per venue on HUD
- Event Creator tool
- restricted career separated through "GT World" and "Special Event" races
- separated Arcade mode with Unlocks
- skip-a-lap option in Replay

Gran Turismo 3
- real-time mileage-monitor on HUD dials
- Time Trial Arcade races with predetermined conditions
- Complex String, SS11 with overpass
- when Original Tracks are raced in Reverse-configuration the lightning (time of day) changes

GT Concept: Tokyo-Geneva
> no real details except for the PodRace for lulz
- oh yeah, animated leafs on Autumn Ring track

Gran Turismo 4: Prologue
- Coffee Break tests / Ghymkana course
- License Tests structured with various skill-tests
- aerodynamics/engine stall effect in high speeds

Gran Turismo 4
- stock-version of cars is unlocked for usage in Arcade/LAN multiplayer when bought in Dealerships/obtained through Prizes
- complex career mode with World Map
- Dealership Races
- LAN option
- old-school versions of some tracks with additions of Motegi, Seoul, Hong Kong, Paris, Cathedral Rocks, El Capitan, Costa di Amalfi, Citta di Aria..
- all those beautiful Photo Locations, never to be forgotten..
- interchangeable position with B-Spec driver through pits for Endurance races

GT5: Prologue
- leaderboards
- official matchmaking with predetermined entry-requirements
- animated pre-race garage sequences for particular car/track

GTPSP
- simple yet best ever Event Generator (prizes determined per field-strength/tyre-compound used and race distance)

+ all License tests/Mission Races (GT4) were non-assisted in all GT games prior to GT5 > in GT5 many of the License tests/Special Event races have SRF mandatory enabled (all Licenses have it for instance) and I personally find it crazy.

Gran Turismo 5 > existing features to expand/redesign:
- expanded Course Maker functionality (up to 20 new environments would do miracles with added option to adjust the sloping of the corners, inserting chicanes for selected type of environments <racing tracks> and added option of point-to-point courses - as we seen in GT5 pre-release videos and GT5 Rally section the game, then mysteriously disappearing from the Course Maker final release >> imagine the Online Lobby with 14 players tackling the generated P2P course in the real-time, without any of them previously seeing it and post-race results and ability to make a Championship for instance
- Paint Shop: include Paint Shop in GTAuto where we can purchase additional paint-chips we already own through usual in-game methodology (including Special Paint Chips which should be more expensive than normal ones) or sell already owned chips for some small monetary compensation
- Weather Option: to include it for all possible tracks
- Oil-change in Pits for all game-modes (desperate need for this one in online MP pits)
- Cape Ring circuits in reverse, Suzuka West, Bugatti Circuit
- add hoods/mirrors to Standard cars cockpit-view from already existing GTPSP models
- B-Spec real time racing for Multiplayer / Expanded B-Spec functionality - ability to race your best B-Spec drivers in online in real-time with your friends - we groomed them for something damnit
- few small additions for online lobbies: oil-change in pits, Restrict Tune option (all cars can have only the same parts/tuning details as host's car - allows for proper execution of league races), Replay Theatre in lobbies (all people in lobby can watch the replays together with host controlling it)
- to add splits between vehicles on very useless driver-list on the right side of the HUD (refreshes in real-time, can be turned-off in real-time, see below)
- to have real-time HUD ON/OFF button as assignable to preferred button (I do not need beams, but I would really welcome to be able to turn on/off HUD in real-time during the race, possibly from full to partial to OFF - as seen in Shift for instance)

Now just code all of above into GT5 and you have a damn perfect racer.

Mush

So I got the Academy Edition today and...

oFYBKl.jpg

uh?

Also the DLC isn't even on the disc, it's just a bunch of codes, lulz.

The DLC isn't even in the codes, it's in the updates. Codes are to activate the DLC so they couldn't be pre-activated in the disc.

What version did it came with?

Mush

Has everything except these 3 new cars then.

:eek:

Did they gave you stealth cars instead? Lol
I've had those since launch. ;)

There was two codes in the box, the one labeled for the DLC kept giving me "this code has been used/incorrect code blah blah" and on a whim I tried the other one which is a code for the exclusive GT Academy competition next year and it worked. Other people have been suffering the same issue going by GTplanet.

I also deleted my install/patch file (which was 13GB) and reinstalled everything again so the file is now a bit smaller (sitting just under 9GB), which is handy considering I've been hovering below 10GB overall for quite some time on my aging 80GB fatty.

Hope you are aware that deletes the non exported replays and photos.

Also make sure you disable the continuous install on the options or it'll just keep installing more stuff.

8026703584_f29678755d_c.jpg

Why the hell did I had to install the whole game? I already had GT5 installed! Btw, wich DLC did we get free? I only have car pack 2 and 3, and the Nissan car. My code for the special Academy challenge didn't work. :S

[]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8309/8026703584_f29678755d_c.jpg[/IMG]

Why the hell did I had to install the whole game? I already had GT5 installed! Btw, wich DLC did we get free? I only have car pack 2 and 3, and the Nissan car. My code for the special Academy challenge didn't work. :S

Complete Pack (Car Pack, Course Pack, Special Paint Pack, Racing Gear Pack)
Car Pack 2
Car Pack 3 and Course Pack 2
The Nissan GTR driven in this year’s Nurburgring 24 hour race by series creator Kazunori Yamauchi.

Top Bottom