• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

I have to side with Pask on this argument. For the few things GT does great (driving physics being the biggie) there are a number of things were it seriously lags behind. The sound (sampling and mixing), the ludicrously bland "career mode", the AI which is still the least engaging of any race game, the the stupid paint shop implementation, etc. Those aren't things that require more PC power to have, they're just badly designed aspects of the game.

I have to side with Pask on this argument. For the few things GT does great (driving physics being the biggie) there are a number of things were it seriously lags behind. The sound (sampling and mixing), the ludicrously bland "career mode", the AI which is still the least engaging of any race game, the the stupid paint shop implementation, etc. Those aren't things that require more PC power to have, they're just badly designed aspects of the game.

Those also aren't things that bring anything to the sim genre. But yes, that has nothing to do with the platform, it just wasn't the stuff he was refering too.

Also if you bring elements from a bunch of different games and put them all together as if it was a big game then GT5 is never going to match up. And neither will any of the other games if you single them out against all the rest...

Why doesn't Forza have Nightracing/Dynamic Weather/online career format/pitcrews/hemet cam/etc... See? It works both ways.

If you ignore everything GT5 has done on a console, and then compare it to all the things, many different racers, on different platforms, and some even being developed, have then yeah... I'm not even sure what you're expecting...

Dibbz

No he did not. Fucking really? Man has lost it.

Reminds me of this

ryan.jpg

amar212

Once the six skip the three
Saving for the four
Question stays about the five
Waiting for some more

Due the fact we knew too much
About the four and five
Six will hide until it can
Kevin Butlers' Jive

It's six step left six step right
Rinse, repeat and wait
The three will get some finger food
And four will celebrate.

Saving for the four
Waiting for some more

About the four and five
Kevin Butlers' Jive

Rinse, repeat and wait
And four will celebrate.

That's a lot of sixes and fours, guess I was wrong :p

Although that 3 is kinda throwing me off.

Business

I think KY lost touch with reality. All that stuff about changing people's life or the game having an impact on people's life, that other stuff that creating GT5 was like managing the Apollo project, this new thing about the problem with sounds is that they are just too real.

They got away with the problems of GT5 because they still have credit, but they better don't push it.

GTplanet made that interview up.

Saving for the four
Waiting for some more

About the four and five
Kevin Butlers' Jive

Rinse, repeat and wait
And four will celebrate.

GT6 for PS4.

GT5: Spec III with old GT4 tracks and other stuff, this will be released for Christmas.

saladine1

Perhaps Kaz really does think that the audio is great or he's just trying to save face. Either way, we know what's needs to be done.

More importantly however, is that at least he's admitted that the sounds could do with an overhaul. This has made me a very happy man and has given me high fucking hopes for the future..

Niks

I love Kaz and GT, but really, he needs to check out the competition once in a while. Saying the sounds are too real is crazy talk no matter how you look at it...

E3 2013 will be interesting. GT6 trailer anyone?

saladine1

I love Kaz and GT, but really, he needs to check out the competition once in a while. Saying the sounds are too real is crazy talk no matter how you look at it...

E3 2013 will be interesting. GT6 trailer anyone?
He used the word 'sexiness' to describe the audio for the next game which tells me he and PD in general are scoping the competition. This is a much better strategy than completely ignoring other games' strengths.

Honestly though, I don't want GT6 audio to be like FM4 or NFS.
In that I mean, FM4 and NFS especially have 'beefed' up samples from the get go, as in stock, and gradually get crazier as you apply upgrades.

I'd love for PD to do the audio more like FM2.

In FM2, the stock/production cars audio was more in line with reality. The sounds were a little civilized and tamed whilst still sounding excellent and realistic. It was only after upgrading the exhaust, cams,intake,turbo..etc, that the samples not only became more aggressive, but they actually changed in note, as in different samples were introduced to mimic a straight through exhaust system or in some cases open headers.

This is how it should be done.

As for a GT6 trailer?
I don't know man, too early I reckon..

Niks

He used the word 'sexiness' to describe the audio for the next game which tells me he and PD in general are scoping the competition. This is a much better strategy than completely ignoring other games' strengths.

Honestly though, I don't want GT6 audio to be like FM4 or NFS.
In that I mean, FM4 and NFS especially have 'beefed' up samples from the get go, as in stock, and gradually get crazier as you apply upgrades.

I'd love for PD to do the audio more like FM2.

In FM2, the stock/production cars audio was more in line with reality. The sounds were a little civilized and tamed whilst still sounding excellent and realistic. It was only after upgrading the exhaust, cams,intake,turbo..etc, that the samples not only became more aggressive, but they actually changed in note, as in different samples were introduced to mimic a straight through exhaust system or in some cases open headers.

This is how it should be done.

I dont know.. I mean yeah I appreciate trying to "stick" to the original, but the car has to sound on some level like the real thing when on track.. (even if that means the sound is "made up")

Ex: I doubt these guys spent hours on a dyno with the real HSV-010, I bet they cooked this up digitally without too much effort. Real? maybe not, but goddamn does it sound better and adds up to the immersion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUZY6w_ApE4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYRiVAHEUU

I dont know.. I mean yeah I appreciate trying to "stick" to the original, but the car has to sound on some level like the real thing when on track.. (even if that means the sound is "made up")

Ex: I doubt these guys spent hours on a dyno with the real HSV-010, I bet they cooked this up digitally without too much effort. Real? maybe not, but goddamn does it sound better and adds up to the immersion.

That is completely inaccurate on what's happening with the car. I mean, 0:35... lol

Stuff like that would completely throw you off when racing.

You can't just record a sound and then play it back on the game as you recorded it.

*edit* Oh my, GTR2 hasn't aged well at all.

saladine1

There's no doubt, an 'enhanced' sample will always sound more thrilling, more immersive than just sticking to an exact copy of the real thing. NFS can afford to do this because it's an action racing game with thrills and spills at every corner. It's a faced paced game that suits aggressive and over the top audio.

GT and Forza are 'sims'. The sounds should mimic reality..to a certain extent. If you make a 1:1 recording of say, a Suzuki Liana and just pop it into a game, it's going to sound boring. But, if you add that same recording, and add a 'little something' to it, the sounds will feature more zest whilst still being faithful to the original.
This imo is the best way to do things.

To me though, it seems that PD record a car in only one or two rev ranges, then compensate via manipulation for the remaining RPM's. This is why some cars sound good while from 0-4000rpms, but completely sound synthesized as you hit higher revs.

It would be nice to see exactly how they do it, but without that knowledge guessing what's happening in the mixing room is all we have to go by..

Edit- Has anyone tried the new updated HSV-010 sounds that came with the newest patch?

amar212

Today we got one of the most important updates ever for GT5, but you probably know that already. Formal entry:

Update Notice (2.09)
Last Updated: Nov 06, 2012

A new update has been released for Gran Turismo 5.
The main contents of the update are as follows:

- The [Tyre/Fuel Depletion] settings under [Event Settings] of the Open Lobby can now be adjusted to four levels: "None", "Normal", "Fast", and "Very Fast".

- The 3D display view has been improved.

- The tyre depletion rate has been now balanced as it varied too greatly in certain circumstances depending on the vehicle.

- The Drift Trials scoring method has been changed to prevent cheating.

- The maximum RPM of the Honda weider HSV-010 (SUPER GT) '11 has been changed to 10300rpm. The engine sound has also been improved.

[Correction of Known Issues]
- Fixed an issue where opponent cars were hitting the pit entrance wall when pitting in at the Twin Ring Motegi Road Course East.
- Fixed an issue where fuel was not being consumed when entering an endurance race with a Prius, or when [Tyre/Fuel Depletion] was enabled in the Open Lobby. Affected cars: Toyota Prius G '02, Toyota Prius G '09, Toyota Prius G Touring Selection '03, Toyota Prius Touring Car.
- Fixed an issue where the online control characteristics differed from the offline ones.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/d53989.html

Why it is important?

It changes overall physics-properties for online racing (suspensions are now *free* as in offline - rollovers are not yet possible, but collisions are more pronounced and it dramatically adds to bumps and runs over kerbs), it adds legendary option from GT4 LAN to artificially increase tyre/fuel wear for online races and it fixes the long-term issue of FR/MR/RR cars eating front-tyres more then rear. Of course, it also changes sounds of HSV to more real-life one, so I guess many would add that one to list of "important changes" too.

I personally find this update one of the most important so far from gameplay perspective and it is so great to see we're so close to 3.0.

offshore

Good update, although I'm not sure why it's taken two years to address the online/offline discrepancy, nor am I sure why one exists in the first place.

Haven't checked the GT5 thread in a while or fired up my copy. The most recent update sounds solid. Makes tire strategy a hell of a lot more interesting too.

Regarding Kaz's comments on the sounds... oh man, poster boy for delusions of granduer there. The man actually races cars yet has his head so far up his own ass he can't hear how poorly his game(s) sounds. What a joke. GT6 disappointment imminent. It will be on PS4, it will be amazing in all the way every GT game has been amazing, and it will be fucking awful in every way GT games have been awful. Let the fun begin.

Haven't checked the GT5 thread in a while or fired up my copy. The most recent update sounds solid. Makes tire strategy a hell of a lot more interesting too.

Regarding Kaz's comments on the sounds... oh man, poster boy for delusions of granduer there. The man actually races cars yet has his head so far up his own ass he can't hear how poorly his game(s) sounds. What a joke. GT6 disappointment imminent. It will be on PS4, it will be amazing in all the way every GT game has been amazing, and it will be fucking awful in every way GT games have been awful. Let the fun begin.

Did you read the whole thing? Sounded more like miss translation/interpretation. The next thing he says right after is that they need to work on the sound design.

saladine1

Well, he did say that they are looking into fixing the problems so let's just wait and see..

beaten by Metalmurphy again.

paskowitz

Besides a bit too much gear whine in the cockpit cam I would say its pretty close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzA7VATVPDc

Also it is pretty amazing to see the amount of patches this game has had since it released. There was obviously a lot to fix, but looking at the glass half full, a lot was fixed.

v1.01 24/11/2010
v1.02 27/11/2010
v1.03 06/12/2010
v1.05 20/12/2010
v1.06 11/02/2011
v1.07 24/02/2011
v1.08 09/03/2011
v1.09 06/04/2011
v1.10 07/06/2011
v1.11 30/08/2011
v1.12 03/09/2011
v1.13 21/09/2011
Spec 2.0 11/10/2011
v2.01 26/10/2011
v2.02 20/12/2011
v2.03 17/01/2012
v2.04 07/02/2012
v2.05 15/02/2012
v2.06 22/05/2012
v2.07 01/06/2012
v2.08 25/09/2012
v2.09 06/11/2012

Did you read the whole thing? Sounded more like miss translation/interpretation. The next thing he says right after is that they need to work on the sound design.

I have been sold that line by Kaz 4 times now. By improving the sounds he means his team will buy the latest Dyson vacuum and record it. Yes they have improved over time but GT sounds are still about 10 years behind the curve of other games. I am incredibly skeptical in the sound department. They have nailed the driving model and obviously the visuals, but if there is one basket I refuse to ever put my hype eggs in again for a GT game, is fucking sound. They are completely and utterly clueless, and until Kaz has a reason to be humbled or as big of a personality on his team to tell him his shit stinks, I am not holding my breath.

OMG, my car and all the other cars are without fuel LOLOLOL

This is going to be one LONG endurance race.

*edit*

LOL, basically the fuel depletes in 1 second. now. Just accelerate a bit and a fuel tank is gone lol.

Also I saw a car completely stopped on the track, I though the car was always limited to 80kmh, but maybe it really does stop eventually.

It wipes your DLC too? haha, Polyphony's QA/test team or whatever are absolute shit.

GTPlanet will go into meltdown.

Why do you always have to do that? After 22 patches how often had something like this happened?

It didn't wipe anything btw, it just isn't recognizing it as installed on mine, possibly related with being on an endurance race when the patch came.

Emwitus

Well, he did say that they are looking into fixing the problems so let's just wait and see..

beaten by Metalmurphy again.

He said his going to make them "sexier" not fix it. Which makes sense since all people want are an exaggerated need for speed sound.

He said his going to make them "sexier" not fix it. Which makes sense since all people want are an exaggerated need for speed sound.

He said they needed to work on the sound design right after the question. Only after they said they south also look into making them sexier.

" I think it would be a good thing to sort of design the sound a little bit, and so that is something I would like to challenge ourselves with in the future."

I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time a patch has messed up the endurance races - that's shitty form.

What were the previous problems?

This update pretty much changes core mechanics in the game and the endurance save pretty much records the race "memory" as is and then loads it back. It's understandable, surprised it doesn't just actually kick you from the race.

And my problem with the DLC might be entirely unrelated. A re-install of the game data will probably fix it, but I rather way for confirmation someone else has this problem.

I was watching an old demo of GT5P, and was surprised when I saw hand-over-hand steering in the cockpit view. I guess they went over their memory budget and had to cut it.

Top Bottom