• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

malyce

How are you guys liking the physics update(mostly for online)? Cars seem to lose grip more progressively now. Losing grip is no longer an on/off switch when you get to the limit, no more of that ice driving feeling. Driving on harder compound tires is so much more fun now. Took the LF-A around Suzuka on Comfort Softs last night, had a blast.

amar212

How are you guys liking the physics update(mostly for online)? Cars seem to lose grip more progressively now. Losing grip is no longer an on/off switch when you get to the limit, no more of that ice driving feeling. Driving on harder compound tires is so much more fun now. Took the LF-A around Suzuka on Comfort Softs last night, had a blast.

Best physics so far in the history of series.

I did this initial writeup at GTP, I could write even more after one week of play, but it would just be further elaboration of above conclusion.

After testing the 2.09 physics in my usual environment (proper wheel, pedals, no assists, no ABS, track properties set to Real, usage of low-grade tyre compounds, full stock vehicles, etc..), I have to conclude how this update is nothing less then great.

The complete sensation of driving in online is now more believable. Ice Effect™ is almost no more, you can clearly feel the grip-thereshold on the wheel, you can partially recover from high-speed skidding by proper modulation of acceleration/straight-line-braking and my favorite part - braking distances are finally moved towards Realm of Reality™, where you need to start braking very, very, very early on Comfort tyres in order to actually manage to slow down prior to apex.

But my favorite part is this: finally you can drive super-sports cars on Comfort tyres without nasty Ice Effect™ (it was possible before, but not without serious wheelspins and such, which was challenging, but not very realistic). I tested F40, MC4-12C, Enzo and Yellowbird (all cars full stock) on Comfort Soft compound and each and every one of them drives like a charm. Of course, you have to take into account elevations of the corners, track elevations, bumps, kerbs and speed of approach while braking, but feel of driving those beasts on proper compound - without ned to go into semi-slick territory - is great.

I love the new property of more pronounced loss the FFB effect if you lose the grip (red tyres). There is no retain of control, car just goes straight until grip is back. Great.

To conclude, I really appreciate what they've done with this update. Main control now lays in your accelerator pedal where gentle modulations of pressure affects the mechanical grip much more then before. New properties of tyres (where grip levels have definitely been balanced towards more realistic) allows for normal driving of high-powered cars on compound that should be usual if driving them in stock conditions (Comfort). Grip of tyres is more realistic, they absorb lateral and longitudinal movements of the chassis more naturally, resulting with more believable sensation of driving.

I also welcome the new addition of more "loose" model of barycenter which finally allowed the suspension to lift-off the wheels from the ground.

Od course, there are many things that should be improved further (low speed physics would dramatically improve if effects of torque-rev in 1st and 2nd gears would be made less dramatic and more realistic - which would also result with actual standing start getting variable grip more dependable of acceleration modulation, influencing development of grip-property for tyres while cold), but when I look back to times of Prologue and GT5 V1.0 - this is one of the greatest physics update for this game so far IMO.

Dead Man

Best physics so far in the history of series.

I did this initial writeup at GTP, I could write even more after one week of play, but it would just be further elaboration of above conclusion.

Good to read, I really need to get my TV fixed so I can try it out.

Hackbert

okay i am back in GT5 Endurance race mood. Are there any Fanmade music compilations for GT5 linked here? Like the ones for Wipeout

spats

http://www.gtplanet.net/camouflaged-corvette-c7-new-aventador-appear-in-gran-turismo-5/

Two very curious reported discoveries in GTPlanet’s Forums are attracting quite a bit of attention today.

The most significant comes from GTPlanet users jstickboy13, who report having seen a camouflaged Corvette C7 appear during one of the game’s “screen saver” sessions, which displays race replays or Photomode locations during period of player inactivity.

The second curious sighting comes from GTPlanet user Ferraridude308, who reports having spotted the above Lamborghini Aventador in Gran Turismo 5‘s online Photo Stream website.

The Aventador clearly displays two stripes which cannot currently be applied to the car through any known mechanism in the game.

However, Polyphony Digital has used such stripes to highlight “special” models of existing cars in the game, such as the “Chrome Line” cars or other special promotions. Photo Stream photos are uploaded directly from within the game and cannot be modified.

GT5-Corvette-C7-638x384.jpeg

d8WzP-638x358.jpeg

Was just reading that myself. The camouflage looks a bit weird, I need to see a better quality video before I believe it, could just be someone hacking the game on a CFW PS3.

*edit*

I take that back.

Spyshot-corvette-c7-01-654x435.jpg

Hope they do a cool unvieling ala GTR.

Looks like we're getting another disappointing batch of DLC cars? Seriously, where the hell are the Ferraris - the F355 Challenge, F50 GT, 250, 312, 333 sp and so on...? Of all the games to feature Ferrari GT5 is the absolute pits. Have they still got the license to add more?

MGR

Looks like we're getting another disappointing batch of DLC cars? Seriously, where the hell are the Ferraris - the F355 Challenge, F50 GT, 250, 312, 333 sp and so on...? Of all the games to feature Ferrari GT5 is the absolute pits. Have they still got the license to add more?

So far there's only evidence of the C7. The striped Aventador is just the current model with shadows cast across the bonnet.

But yeah, kind of disappointing about the lack of Fezzas. So many models, so much history:(

Good news is we'll be getting GT5 updates even after 2012 ends.

So far there's only evidence of the C7. The striped Aventador is just the current model with shadows cast across the bonnet.

But yeah, kind of disappointing about the lack of Fezzas. So many models, so much history:(

I'm not buying that one. It could have just been some clever photo taken to try and make some reflection look like stripes.

MGR

I'm not buying that one. It could have just been some clever photo taken to try and make some reflection look like stripes.

Haha you should probably read my whole sentence. But seeing as it must be about 3:30am where you are I guess we'll cut you some slack. :p

That's cool.

I'm guessing Kaz and the crew have already seen (and modeled) the car to have it ready by the time it's officially unveiled in January. I wonder if we'll get a chance to drive the camoed C7 before then. (My guess is probably not, judging from how ridiculously tight lipped GM has been about this car)

Doesn't make much sense to model the car like that and make no use of it. We'll probably get to drive it around a few weeks before the reveal.

Syn23

I think it would be awesome if GT had its own arcade spinoff game like NFS MW.
I'd prefer a "Forza Horizon" style spin off but keeping 60fps. Drool.
If Sony wants an arcade racing game (or, better, another racing game), I hope they decide to develop it from scratch and market it as totally unrelated with the GT franchise.

My opinion is that if it isn't a simulator and/or it isn't developed by Polyphony, it shouldn't be named Gran Turismo something.

If Sony wants an arcade racing game (or, better, another racing game), I hope they decide to develop it from scratch and market it as totally unrelated with the GT franchise.

My opinion is that if it isn't a simulator and/or it isn't developed by Polyphony, it shouldn't be named Gran Turismo something.
But GT physics with the open roads of Forza Horizon / Test Drive Unlimited would totally work. Just because it's not set on race tracks doesn't mean it has to be arcade racing.

I just find it a shame that the glorious GT physics are restricted to race tracks rather than allowing us to drive point-to-point through beautiful scenery. Imagine taking the F40 through the Alps or Italian countryside... Drool again...

But GT physics with the open roads of Forza Horizon / Test Drive Unlimited would totally work. Just because it's not set on race tracks doesn't mean it has to be arcade racing.

I just find it a shame that the glorious GT physics are restricted to race tracks rather than allowing us to drive point-to-point through beautiful scenery. Imagine taking the F40 through the Alps or Italian countryside... Drool again...

Well...

6. Someone says wouldn't it be awesome if there was a free-roaming mode in the cities where you would have to respect lights and speed limits, and you would be able to visit the stores you want. Yamauchi answers that it's one of the thing he wanted to do in GT5 but wasn't able to.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24659716&postcount=16120

The speed limit stuff obviously isn't appealing. But it's interesting that he was kicking the idea of having a free roaming mode. So something like that is more likely to be built into a GT rather than sold as a separate product. They're trying to make GT a one stop racing series. That's why they continue to add different race types and events.

I'd buy a console day one for a TDU2/Forza Horizon game with GT5 cars and physics.

But it has to be an always online type of game like TDU where you can showcase ur cars in ur garage for anyone to see and you're able to actually walk around them.

EekTheKat

Lttp, but randomly out of the blue I decided to tackle Tsukuba 9 hours 4 days ago. I'm averaging about an hour a day and roughly 55-58 seconds a lap.
Now I'm starting to think I should have picked a faster car lol. 4 hours in and I have about a 13 lap lead. It's looking like my competition is behind the 540 lap pace though so I think I can probably win it around 540 laps without going over.

At this pace, I'm expecting the 24 hour races to take me a month lol. Thank god for that mid race save though or I would have never tried it.

Archon473

I purchased this game today and am super excited! I will be playing on a Dualshock 3. Are there any preferred settings for racing? I have always raced with settings on default, but that means no matter what car I'm driving or how I've tuned it, I'm always driving automatic shift with ABS as well as traction control and everything else. I've read a lot of discussion in this thread related to adjusting settings when using a force feedback wheel, and GTPlanet has only tuning guides from what I saw. Are there any resources for adjusting settings as in game options for effective driving with a PS3 controller?

I purchased this game today and am super excited! I will be playing on a Dualshock 3. Are there any preferred settings for racing? I have always raced with settings on default, but that means no matter what car I'm driving or how I've tuned it, I'm always driving automatic shift with ABS as well as traction control and everything else. I've read a lot of discussion in this thread related to adjusting settings when using a force feedback wheel, and GTPlanet has only tuning guides from what I saw. Are there any resources for adjusting settings as in game options for effective driving with a PS3 controller?

Leave ABS at 1, disable everything else. It's very doable with a DS3 if you have a good control on analogue throttle. You might want to mess around with the sensitivity option to find the one that suits you best though.

Dead Man

Steering sensitivity to 7. Makes it much easier to catch slides.

Archon473

Thank you for the tips. I played a lot of GT3 & 4 and am quite comfortable with the pressure-sensitive buttons for accelerating and braking. I will play some Arcade time trials with a powerful car and see what steering sensitivity feels comfortable. Update 2.09 is downloaded and installed, I'm just waiting for the additional game data to install.

EDIT: ABS at 1, Traction Control and everything else Off, Steering Sensitivity at 7 feels very good. Golding License test B-10 on my first try felt great!

I use a DS3 almost exclusively for GT5. First step- use manual for everything except the formula GT cars and the Redbull. Makes a huge huge huge difference. Next thing, like MM said above, disable all the assists. ABS at 1, traction control is ok with the high power race cars, but everything else must go. It won't help at all, and it will just slow you down. Now for controller layout, I like using L2/R2 for brake/gas, and the right stick up/down for shifting up/down.

Top Bottom