• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Man I'd love to try GT5 in 3D. The 3rd turn at La Sarthe is always hard to spot for me and every time I'm on it I wonder how helpful it would be to be able to gauge the distance in 3D. How are the rain effects in 3D?

Cockpit mode and 3D with wheel and pedals is just an amazing experience. I have a 47" LG and the rain effects are amazing, racing around Spa or Nurb is something else when you have dynamic time and weather. One of the best experiences for me with a video game.

Archon473

How to B-Spec?

Although I will always recommend you the great write-ups by Andrew (Famine) on GTP Forum, majority of his advices will be great for the later part of your B-Spec endeavour.

At the beginning - until you reach last 2 tiers of races, Expert (?) and Endurance - there are only few points you have to take into concern and this guy on GameFaqs did a good job:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/941103-gran-turismo-5/57378570

Read this and you're ready to go.

I love B-Spec BTW and I really think it is a great part of GT5.

Thank you! The GameFAQs thread helped me a lot. I spent some time racing Amateur events, directing my driver toward a slow-and-steady pace during the first half of the race. As he was not stressing trying to pass everyone early, when he did earn the lead he held it without my intervention. This put him in a good mood and he went on to win a number of Professional events on his own. I'll check GTPlanet's B-Spec forum. It clarified that all hired drivers earn experience even without participating in races, so I no longer have to worry about The Air of Experience trophy.

-Amon-

Dedication does not equate to a good result.

It is one of the basic ingredients.

The idea of success without dedication is basically a mith, believed by the ones who failed just because of not enough dedication.

However this argument does not apply here, Poliphony had been successful from day one till today.

My main issue with GT5 was mainly due to things that were out of PD's control. Like the PS3's weakness when it comes to alpha effects. I wasn't one that was bothered by the premium/standard quality gap. Mostly because the actual physics for the cars were running on the same engine. Sure one looked much better than the other, but they performed the same.

Dead Man

It is one of the basic ingredients.

The idea of success without dedication is basically a mith, believed by the ones who failed just because of not enough dedication.

However this argument does not apply here, Poliphony had been successful from day one till today.
Of course. But hard work should never justify a continued presence. It needs to be hard, successful, work.

My main issue with GT5 was mainly due to things that were out of PD's control. Like the PS3's weakness when it comes to alpha effects. I wasn't one that was bothered by the premium/standard quality gap. Mostly because the actual physics for the cars were running on the same engine. Sure one looked much better than the other, but they performed the same.

My main issues with GT5 were many, some within PD's control, some without. I think they have failed to expand efficiently, and the game has suffered for it.

Pachimari

Is this the thread the Gran Turismo community uses?

I bought Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition last week on sale to $13. I'm in such a Gran Turismo mood and I love driving, so I found my old Driving Force Pro Logitech wheel and pedals and when I turn on the PS3 the left light on the wheel keeps blinking.

Though, I can't find my AC adapter and I have tried searching Google for answers, but is there really nowhere on the Internet I can buy the AC adapter for Driving Force Pro? I'm really saddened about this. :(

I think these are the specs of the adapter:
5v @ 100 ma or 24v at 750ma

Ebay.

These use the same power supply as the Driving Force Pro:

DriveFX for Xbox 360
Driving Force
Driving Force EX
Driving Force GT
Driving Force Wireless
MOMO Force
MOMO Racing
Speed Force
Speed Force Wireless

INPUT AC 100 -120V - 0.4A

OUTPUT 24v - .75A

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Would anybody like to gift me an Aston Martin V12 Vantage and Aventador?

PSN is: ArnoldK

Dead Man

Are you questioning the result in this case?

Do you think the game is the flawless result of 6 years work? I certainly do not. It is the weakest of the series in my opinion. The base of the car handling is the best so far, and of course it is the prettiest, but everything else seems like a step back to me. Especially as it was at launch.

Do you think the game is the flawless result of 6 years work? I certainly do not. It is the weakest of the series in my opinion. The base of the car handling is the best so far, and of course it is the prettiest, but everything else seems like a step back to me. Especially as it was at launch.

It's the second best of the series for me, and even if it's not the first it's the one that had the most play time. BY FAR. That says everything. And I'm obviously not alone. 2 years later there are still tons of people playing it online 24/7

And no ofcourse it's not flawless, no game is. It also wasnt 6 years...

paskowitz

It's the second best of the series for me, and even if it's not the first it's the one that had the most play tie., BY FAR That says everything. And I'm obviously not alone. 2 years later there are still tons of people playing it online 24/7

And no ofcourse it's not flawless, no game is. It also want 6 years...

I think now it is the second best (to GT3)... but when it came out it was without question the worst. So I guess it is both? Lol.

I am reasonably optimistic for GT6. The PS4 should be easier to develop for. The extra power will give Kaz more creative freedom... and Kaz needs his creative freedom. Finally, I think even a company as stubborn as PD have learned valuable lessons from GT5. Hopefully they keep their mouths shut until they have a final definitive release date... because that shit was unbearable.

#NoMoreSoon

Kaze13

Who said anything about the game being flawless? This is your statement:

Do you know what their dedication did equate to? A game that is still supported to this day. A game that many still play. A game that sold 4M+ of prologue and 9M+ of GT5 proper. I'd say that is a damn good result.

Dead Man

Who said anything about the game being flawless? This is your statement:

Do you know what their dedication did equate to? A game that is still supported to this day. A game that many still play. A game that sold 4M+ of prologue and 9M+ of GT5 proper. I'd say that is a damn good result.

Jesus christ, calm down. I keep forgetting I can't call the game anything but amazing. And if you are referring back to my statement, you will see there is no reference to any game in there. I was referring to an earlier statement that suggested that Kaz's hard work should see him kept on, not his successful work. So just calm the fuck down.

Kaze13

Jesus christ, calm down. I keep forgetting I can't call the game anything but amazing. And if you are referring back to my statement, you will see there is no reference to any game in there. I was referring to an earlier statement that suggested that Kaz's hard work should see him kept on, not his successful work. So just calm the fuck down.

Im just stating facts. If what you got from that is a rant then you are mistaken. Btw, what else are you referring to when you stated that you didn't mention any game? This is a gt thread afterall.

Dead Man

Im just stating facts. If what you got from that is a rant then you are mistaken. Btw, what else are you referring to when you stated that you didn't mention any game? This is a gt thread afterall.

If you read back, you'll see responding to this post:

Kaz pointed out in a Making of GT3 video that he didn't go home for the final 4 months of GT3's development. He ended up bringing his bed from home into work.

http://www.abload.de/img/untitledl4rgu.png[img]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEZigpwm05s[/url]

One of them any reasons why it annoys me to see people suggesting that Sony should take the series away from Kaz.[/QUOTE]

Which includes the idea that sheer amount of work is a factor that should be considered when deciding whether to keep someone on a project. To which I replied:

[QUOTE]Dedication does not equate to a good result. [/QUOTE]

With the idea that hard work should not guarantee anyones continues existence on a project if it was not useful or good work. This WAS in relation to GT, but also a general statement. Mianly it was intended to refute the idea that Kaz deserves to stay since he has worked so hard.

This was then expanded on in the series of plasts afterward:

[QUOTE=Dead Man][quote="-Amon-, post: 45091027"]It is one of the basic ingredients.

However this argument does not apply here, Poliphony had been successful from day one till today.[/QUOTE]
Of course. But hard work should never justify a continued presence. It needs to be hard, successful, work.

[quote="SolidSnakex, post: 45097736"]My main issue with GT5 was mainly due to things that were out of PD's control. Like the PS3's weakness when it comes to alpha effects. I wasn't one that was bothered by the premium/standard quality gap. Mostly because the actual physics for the cars were running on the same engine. Sure one looked much better than the other, but they performed the same.[/QUOTE]

My main issues with GT5 were many, some within PD's control, some without. I think they have failed to expand efficiently, and the game has suffered for it.[/QUOTE]

So really what I have been getting at is that Kaz has not produced a perfect product, and his pure effort should not make his inclusion automatic, we should look at the work produced, which had many problems, and continues to after massive support.

Kaze13

If you read back, you'll see responding to this post:

Which includes the idea that sheer amount of work is a factor that should be considered when deciding whether to keep someone on a project. To which I replied:

With the idea that hard work should not guarantee anyones continues existence on a project if it was not useful or good work. This WAS in relation to GT, but also a general statement. Mianly it was intended to refute the idea that Kaz deserves to stay since he has worked so hard.

This was then expanded on in the series of plasts afterward:

So really what I have been getting at is that Kaz has not produced a perfect product, and his pure effort should not make his inclusion automatic, we should look at the work produced, which had many problems, and continues to after massive support.

What the heck are you talking about? I feel like you just took me for a loop. Isn't that what we covered in our brief exchange? Again, you spout the "not perfect" line. As if to say, "he didn't do a good enough job to make gt5 perfect therefore his place in Polyphony should be in doubt." Is that what you really mean? If so, nonsense. I figured that man should command more respect than that.

Pachimari

Logitech says I need to find an AC adapter that has a power output of 24V .75A but I can't find that kind ANYWHERE online. So I guess I won't be able to use my Driving Force Pro wheel. =(

Dead Man

What the heck are you talking about? I feel like you just took me for a loop. Isn't that what we covered in our brief exchange? Again, you spout the "not perfect" line. As if to say, "he didn't do a good enough job to make gt5 perfect therefore his place in Polyphony should be in doubt." Is that what you really mean? If so, nonsense. I figured that man should command more respect than that.

Jesus, is it that hard to understand? Maybe I am not being clear. Nobody should be protected because of the AMOUNT of work they have done. Not perfect is also not the same as not good enough to deserve their place. I have no problem with Kaz keeping his job, but he should not keep it simply due to HOW MUCH work he did, it should be based on the quality of his work. Don't don the fanboy blinders, read what people post.

Just so my position is clear for those who are challenged :)

He did not do a very good job with GT5. He has done a great job advancing the genre over the previous 4 iterations. He should be in charge of 6. If 6 is also late, crap, etc, then his position should be looked at.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aren't those DLC cars? Not sure you can gift them.

Them blocking duping (and not increasing exp/money) is one of the most bone-headed things they've done with the game.

Really should've asked for the stealth cars when I had the chance. :(

Them blocking duping (and not increasing exp/money) is one of the most bone-headed things they've done with the game.

Really should've asked for the stealth cars when I had the chance. :(

Really? You think they should allow people to trade paid DLC cars? oO

They did increase money/exp btw, several times, + day login bonus.

amar212

You got Seasonal Events, Daily Bonus and Performance Points Bonus. They really increased both XP/Cr, as long as you are using the benefits of the online modes.

Nobody needs either grinding or duping fro some time now.

Example: F1 Ferrari run on 24Hours Nordscheilfe, 2 laps, 800PP (and it goes low as 780PP at my case, while experienced drivers can drive it at 750PP):

4 million Cr, 500.000 XP. For 2 laps race.

And all other Seasonal races, dozens and dozens of them, that benefit from Daily Bonus+ PP Bonus combo. Prizes heaven.

Kaze13

Nobody should be protected because of the AMOUNT of work they have done.

Kaz has done a lot of quality work. Why is this even being debated?

Not perfect is also not the same as not good enough to deserve their place

what?

I have no problem with Kaz keeping his job, but he should not keep it simply due to HOW MUCH work he did, it should be based on the quality of his work.

That's common sense. However, now you are starting to question this man's dedication, quantity of work and quality of work. You can have your opinions about anything. It doesn't change the fact that you can get called out on how "challenged" you sound.

He did not do a very good job with GT5. He has done a great job advancing the genre over the previous 4 iterations. He should be in charge of 6. If 6 is also late, crap, etc, then his position should be looked at.

I enjoy playing gt5 to this day. Sure there are numerous improvements that could be done but the product as it stands is amazing considering everything. I bolded what sounds so "challenged" to me. Consider this, Kaz is president and CEO of a company that makes a shit ton of money regardless of how long the product actually takes to complete. You really think Sony would say, "Kaz, your game is crappy and late. You should hand over the reigns." Really? In fact, it might be in the best of interest for Kaz to go multiplatform to get more money. The fact that he is staying on board with Sony shows what kind of relationship they have. Dedication, loyalty and trust. Are you really questioning that? That is why I think this whole argument is so "challe..." screw that - dumb.

Dead Man

Kaz has done a lot of quality work. Why is this even being debated?

Without getting into your other inanities, this is being debated because a poster said the amount of work he has done is a justification for him staying. Do try to keep up, I even explained it in the post you dismissed as not being needed :/

Kaze13

Without getting into your other inanities, this is being debated because a poster said the amount of work he has done is a justification for him staying. Do try to keep up, I even explained it in the post you dismissed as not being needed :/

Without getting into more detail, it doesn't change the fact that what you stated in response sounds dumb.

In direct response, I would agree that he should stay on board for the amount of work he has done. The quality and quantity of his work speaks for itself which makes your whole argument "challenged" to begin with. Catch my drift? Apparently, you do not.

Niks

Kaz is fine, he just needs to hire an advisor or second in command.
I nominate myself. (I would do a kickass job).

Dead Man

Without getting into more detail, it doesn't change the fact that what you stated in response sounds dumb.

In direct response, I would agree that he should stay on board for the amount of work he has done. The quality and quantity of his work speaks for itself which makes your whole argument "challenged" to begin with. Catch my drift? Apparently, you do not.

Do you think the amount of work someone has done should justify their continued employment? If no, we agree, if yes, I want to work for you.

Kaze13

Do you think the amount of work someone has done should justify their continued employment? If no, we agree, if yes, I want to work for you.

You don't specify the quality of work. We agree that if it is bad work then it does not justify they continued employment. If it is good work, then of course we leave them on board.

If it is as black and white as that (with no name attached) then we are certainly on the same page. That isn't the case though. This is a GT5 thread. Kaz has been mentioned numerous times. He is the subject of the argument. You made statements that pertains to GT5 and Kaz. What do you think others will think reading the responses you made?

Dead Man

You don't specify the quality of work. We agree that if it is bad work then it does not justify they continued employment. If it is good work, then of course we leave them on board.

If it is as black and white as that (with no name attached) then we are certainly on the same page. That isn't the case though. This is a GT5 thread. Kaz has been mentioned numerous times. He is the subject of the argument. You made statements that pertains to GT5 and Kaz. What do you think others will think reading the responses you made?

Gah, no, that is the point. The poster said quantity of work should justify a job!! Bloody hell!!!!!1!1! sdghh ikfhewjk .;erhk ;klnrgnegm rgm elr4po4JJU*)$

/meltdown

But seriously, that was what I was saying is wrong, that sheer amount of work alone justifies a continued job. That is all. Then the subject diverged a bit to what you seem to be complaining about while ignoring where the topic started. You seem to be jumping from my post saying hard work alone is not enough to saying I think Kaz has not been great during the last games production and reaching the conclusion that I think he should be fired because he didn't work hard enough.

I don't how else to state my opinion, I've done it several times now and you have either said something that show you don't understand it, or you have said the explanation is not necessary. :/

Kaze13

Gah, no, that is the point. The poster said quantity of work should justify a job!! Bloody hell!!!!!1!1! sdghh ikfhewjk .;erhk ;klnrgnegm rgm elr4po4JJU*)$

/meltdown

But seriously, that was what I was saying is wrong, that sheer amount of work alone justifies a continued job. That is all. Then the subject diverged a bit to what you seem to be complaining about while ignoring where the topic started. You seem to be jumping from my post saying hard work alone is not enough to saying I think Kaz has not been great during the last games production and reaching the conclusion that I think he should be fired because he didn't work hard enough.

I don't how else to state my opinion, I've done it several times now and you have either said something that show you don't understand it, or you have said the explanation is not necessary. :/

Woah...no need for a meltdown. I've been addressing your responses point by point. Be courteous and do the same if you want others to understand. Obviously, I haven't ignored anything if I take the time to provide some input here.

I may have jumped on a single point (the "dedication" post) but, ever since then, you have provided more than enough material for us to discuss. So, here we are, discussing those points that, might I add, you have not even addressed.

So are all of you hardcore fans of racing, cars, etc?

Because I'm not. I cant even tell you the difference between most cars. But I do like myself a sim, though I dont know how much I'll understand or like the driving. Only racing games I enjoy/play are Burnout.

I want to get into GT, but am too scared I'll dislike it. And how much of the immersion is lost playing on a standard controller?

What say you, GranGAF? Any of you casuals who got into the series and enjoyed it, or do you have to be a certain level of car-crazy to enjoy this? I can't believe this IP sells so much, and I cant tell if there are that many car lovers out there, or just gamers who like cars, or what.

Dead Man

So are all of you hardcore fans of racing, cars, etc?

Because I'm not. I cant even tell you the difference between most cars. But I do like myself a sim, though I dont know how much I'll understand or like the driving. Only racing games I enjoy/play are Burnout.

I want to get into GT, but am too scared I'll dislike it. And how much of the immersion is lost playing on a standard controller?

What say you, GranGAF? Any of you casuals who got into the series and enjoyed it, or do you have to be a certain level of car-crazy to enjoy this? I can't believe this IP sells so much, and I cant tell if there are that many car lovers out there, or just gamers who like cars, or what.

I play on a controller and I think it is the best driving game on current consoles (maybe after MC:LA). I bitch about it a lot, and it is broken in some ways, but the base driving is fun as hell.

saladine1

Taking Kaz away from the series would be absolutely ridiculous!

No fucking way they would or should do that.

GT would just not be GT without him.

Maybe, he just needs some 'help' in the form of a younger visionary or something. Perhaps some fresh blood to carry the series into the future.
But Kaz must stay on.

I wonder though, does Kaz still have that fire in him to keep making GT?
Could he be getting tired from all the tremendous amount of work he has put in over the years?
Does anyone have any references to Kaz feeling burned out?

My word that looked amazing.

I was hoping we got 60fps replays back for GT5, hopefully they're back for the next GT on the PS4. Difference between 30fps replays and 60fps is huge, looks so much more realistic, just seeing GT5 replays in 60fps would be amazing. Another feature I would love to see back is synchronised replays like in GT4, spent so much time watching back replays like that, synching the crazy angles and colours to the music, sometimes I spent more time watching replays than playing the game with GT4.

Polyphony

I have an old Driving Force Pro that's not worth selling, you're welcome to its adapter if it suits. 200–240V AS/NZS 3112/Type I Plug)

EDIT: 60fps GT5 trailer. Goddamn.

http://cdn2.gran-turismo.com/jp/local/hk-zh/data2/movie/20101225/gt5_ags2010_pv.mov

Hot damn! I hope PS4 will have that level of IQ. Not sure I'd like my replays to be at 60 fps though. The 30 fps still capture the "cinematic" feel of movies/tv footage that we're all used to. But of course, motion is so much clearer at 60 fps. It would also be of great benefit to those who like video editing, for slow motion, etc.

Hot damn! I hope PS4 will have that level of IQ. Not sure I'd like my replays to be at 60 fps though. The 30 fps still capture the "cinematic" feel of movies/tv footage that we're all used to. But of course, motion is so much clearer at 60 fps. It would also be of great benefit to those who like video editing, for slow motion, etc.

Well, Prologue and GT5 only have 30fps because they added extra effects (like motion blur). GT3 and 4 had 60fps replays. I think that we'll see 60fps replays next-gen as long as the PS4 can handle high end visuals with motion blur at 60fps.

Top Bottom