• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

ashk

Toxa said:
boring ... ? when I read that kind of post I'm really disappointed

Yes, I find it boring. It's very slippery so too much throttle or too much steering input and you spin out. When you add the water spray from a car it's impossible to get behind someone and try to race and overtake them as you normally would. You're only left with waiting for them to make a mistake. That's not racing, that's just driving.

Toxa

ashk said:
Yes, I find it boring. It's very slippery so too much throttle or too much steering input and you spin out. When you add the water spray from a car it's impossible to get behind someone and try to race and overtake them as you normally would. You're only left with waiting for them to make a mistake. That's not racing, that's just driving.

This is rain dude and rain is part of racing ! everyone will be in the same boat, you must deal with it :p

once again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7Uj7gBIfA&feature=channel_video_title

:p

I want dynamic weather and light damage.

Maybe we could use the edge/wet grip setting to high instead of real so it isn't so unforgiving because after 3-4 laps under heavy rain (and it rains a lot in Suzuka) it gets really slippery. Just maybe. I don't think a real race would be done under those conditions anyway :p <--- okay just watched a little of that video, awesome

Toxa

Risk Breaker said:
I want dynamic weather and light damage.

Maybe we could use the edge/wet grip setting to high instead of real so it isn't so unforgiving because after 3-4 laps under heavy rain (and it rains a lot in Suzuka) it gets really slippery. Just maybe. I don't think a real race would be done under those conditions anyway :p <--- okay just watched a little of that video, awesome

"I can't see a thing" :p

We waited for 5 years for this game, PD brought us rain and nobody wants to use this feature ... :(

ashk

Toxa said:
This is rain dude and rain is part of racing ! everyone will be in the same boat, you must deal with it :p

once again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7Uj7gBIfA&feature=channel_video_title

:p

Random mechanical failures are part of racing too, that doesn't mean it's good to implement them.

Don't get me wrong, I like driving in the rain because it's a lot more challenging and very different than dry. I just don't like racing in those conditions because it ruins the racing for me. Not to mention other problems with tyres and intermediate conditions between wet and dry.

ashk said:
Random mechanical failures are part of racing too, that doesn't mean it's good to implement them.

Don't get me wrong, I like driving in the rain because it's a lot more challenging and very different than dry. I just don't like racing in those conditions because it ruins the racing for me. Not to mention other problems with tyres and intermediate conditions between wet and dry.

Agreed, it's different but it slows down the action too much and makes it much less fun, it's definitely something we shouldn't consider for the first race.

Angst

MikeDub said:
Agreed, it's different but it slows down the action too much and makes it much less fun, it's definitely something we shouldn't consider for the first race.
Would it be more interesting if we switched Suzuka with Fuji? That way we could have an easier opening race and then wet weather at Suzuka when we've done a few races.

I must add that I'm just checking what you guys want here. Until Mush, me or UFRA posts and update to the official schedule the schedule in the OP stands. (Minus Madrid that has been switched to Fuji GT already).

My opinion about racing in the rain was the same as ashk's previously, but after doing 25 laps yesterday in the rain I've sort of changed my mind.

Mush

I swear you were adamant against the mere suggestion of weather for Suzuka, Angst.

Why the change of heart? :p

Az

Just saw Mush's PM. I am so tempted to join now but with my tight schedule I need to know when you guys are doing practice and races in EST time.

Toxa

Angst said:
Would it be more interesting if we switched Suzuka with Fuji? That way we could have an easier opening race and then wet weather at Suzuka when we've done a few races.

I must add that I'm just checking what you guys want here. Until Mush, me or UFRA posts and update to the official schedule the schedule in the OP stands. (Minus Madrid that has been switched to Fuji GT already).

My opinion about racing in the rain was the same as ashk's previously, but after doing 25 laps yesterday in the rain I've sort of changed my mind.

keep suzu as the opening with rain or not

Angst

Mush said:
I swear you were adamant against the mere suggestion of weather for Suzuka, Angst.

Why the change of heart? :p
I was very much against it yeah. :D

But I forced myself through 25 laps and after a while it clicked for me. I was of course slower in the rain, but not as much as I expected. And it adds another layer to the strategy of the race that we won't get with dry weather.

I suggest we wait and see what everybody thinks.

Toxa - Yay
Risk Breaker - Yay
Ashk - no way
MikeDub - not for the first race
amar2112 - so beautiful
mush - wtf?

;)

Angst

TheAzRim said:
Just saw Mush's PM. I am so tempted to join now but with my tight schedule I need to know when you guys are doing practice and races in EST time.
Tentatively, the races will be held at 20.00 GMT: What is that where I am?

Practice sessions are more flexible, we normally get a lot of people at the normal race time, but I know people in the US prefers to practice when we euros are asleep and that's ok as well.

ashk

Angst said:

Running laps by yourself is one thing, you should do some races with people in the rain and see how it feels. As I've said, I like driving in rain, but I don't like racing in rain :p

edit: oh yeah, I hate rain in night races even more :p

If we do a wet weather race then I think it should be that or nothing. No dynamic weather, just rain all the time, that way people know what they are getting in to rather than just the possibility of rain. Of course we should also do a dynamic weather race at some point in the season. Does Fuji allow for rain? That would be a good choice of track to do it on, wide track, plenty of run off, really lenient.

Toxa

ashk said:

Random mechanical failures IMO would be a great feature :p you must deal with it like the real driver

ashk

Toxa said:
Random mechanical failures IMO would be a great feature :p you must deal with it like the real driver

I have a great idea about how to get them into the league. After every race, the comittee generates a random number 1-100 for each of the racers. If the number is below let's say 96 or 97 they finished the race normally. If it's higher they suffered a mechanical failure and get no points for the race :D

Angst

ashk said:
I have a great idea about how to get them into the league. After every race, the comittee generates a random number 1-100 for each of the racers. If the number is below let's say 96 or 97 they finished the race normally. If it's higher they suffered a mechanical failure and get no points for the race :D
That's in the game already. It's called disconnects.

;)
ashk said:
Running laps by yourself is one thing, you should do some races with people in the rain and see how it feels. As I've said, I like driving in rain, but I don't like racing in rain :p

edit: oh yeah, I hate rain in night races even more :p

True.

Practice session tonight from 21.00 CET / 19.00 GMT - 0.00 CET / 22.UK GMT.
Settings: light damage, rain (fixed)

We could also test low grip reduction in the rain (with heavy damage).

@brosey: join us if you can, this could be a nice opportunity for you to test one of the GT cars. If I were you I would join a few practice sessions and see how you like the cars. You've had some issues in the NRL and I think you need to realize the GT cars are far harder to control. And the tolerance for first corner crashes are significantly lower here as well... :p If you join us in a few sessions and keep it cool you are of course welcome to join the league. No dive bombs please... ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Niks said:
No rain vote from me... not until PD fixes the tire modeling.

And fixes the rain. I was so hyped from those small gifs on GAF, but they were a let down.

PGR4's rain still looks better, FFS. :|

Niks said:

This x1000. I love rain racing, but it is so poorly modeled in GT5. Yeah! Racing slick super softs are faster than rain tires in full down pour!! WOOOOOO!!! PD!!!

brentech

With 'real' settings, I don't think rain is very real. It's more like black ice....everywhere.

If it tests under the other setting and seems okay, whatever, but since that's what A-Spec uses and it seems like shit there too, I don't think I could ever vote for weather. It's actually one of the thing's that is easier controlled with a DS3 over a wheel, imo.

ashk

Niks said:

Better tire model + a better graphical representation of the track drying/getting wet. When practicing for the Nurburgring last season I spent hours figuring out the point when it's time to switch wet/intermediate/soft tyres.

Shall we practice with rain + light damage + "unreal" grip, then? I'm ready to join the lounge anytime, just have to set my wheel up.

We can use normal settings too :p

Dibbz

brentech said:
And while they're not at full speed, their real rain kick-up seems no where near the blinding effect in GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPYV-NGV_rw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kx7-e4mtss

Racing in heavy rain gives you next to no visibility.

I don't get why some of you are complaining the handling in the rain is bad though. The last few day's I've been testing in the rain and yes when the rain just starts you can get around on racing softs for a few laps but depending on the intensity of the rain you cannot last on them because the track will gradually build up with water.

I left the game for a bit sitting in the pits and when I came back it had stopped raining. Still had rain tyres on so I was going pretty well. Changed to Soft and it felt like I was driving on ice because the track was still soaking. Went to Inters and felt amazing.

Don't get the hate when it works like it should.

EDIT:- Can't make practice tonight sorry guys.

Angst

I'm in the lounge now. There was a pretty strong majority against rain at Suzuka, but we could still do a couple of rain races for fun now.

brentech

Dibbz said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kx7-e4mtss

Racing in heavy rain gives you next to no visibility.

I don't get why some of you are complaining the handling in the rain is bad though. The last few day's I've been testing in the rain and yes when the rain just starts you can get around on racing softs for a few laps but depending on the intensity of the rain you cannot last on them because the track will gradually build up with water.

I left the game for a bit sitting in the pits and when I came back it had stopped raining. Still had rain tyres on so I was going pretty well. Changed to Soft and it felt like I was driving on ice because the track was still soaking. Went to Inters and felt amazing.

Don't get the hate when it works like it should.

EDIT:- Can't make practice tonight sorry guys.
Well of course it's remarkably worse when comparing to open wheel cars...that's not what we're driving though.
I've watched other videos on GTTV or maybe it was youtube, that are from the drivers view of a super GT or similar car. and while it's obviously limited, it's no where near as bad as a F1 vehicle.

I think it was Angst that I practiced with for Monza rain last season. And while I was able to get used to it eventually, it just doesn't feel true. That's my issue.

Angst

I change my vote to no rain. As we said in the lounge, if we could set the rain at a slow drizzle it would be fine. But not the torrential downpour and aquaplaning that's in the game now.

Angst said:
I change my vote to no rain. As we said in the lounge, if we could set the rain at a slow drizzle it would be fine. But not the torrential downpour and aquaplaning that's in the game now.

Rain really sucks the fun out of it for me, I cannot handle the cars in the wet. Are the intermediates better than the full wets? or do I just suck that much?

Dibbz

MikeDub said:
Rain really sucks the fun out of it for me, I cannot handle the cars in the wet. Are the intermediates better than the full wets? or do I just suck that much?
It depends entirely on what the track condition is. The way it's meant to be is

Rain = Full wets. When the track is covered in water and looks like it's not going to stop anytime soon.
Inters = Damp conditions. Usually used when the track is wet but is drying.

From the rain races I've been in the spray is not consistent which is why I don't get the hate. If the race starts and it's raining like mad then yeah the spray will be bad but if it starts sunny and rains it takes time for water to build up on the track. It doesn't go dry to all of a sudden massive spray from the car in front.

The whole fun for me having rain races is the strategy involved. If it rains mid way through do you pit? Do you go for Inters? Do you risk full wets and risk destroying them before the track is wet enough? All ads to the fun in my opinion.

Below is just an example of what I'm talking about. Pics were taken at the start of every lap for 4 laps when rain started. You can see it's gradually building up spray.

5598716683_1bcafca941_z.jpg

5598716685_f8a1c87b56_z.jpg

5598716687_b129a13a6b_z.jpg

5598716689_5f7d7403ce_z.jpg

I´m a huge fan of Ayrton Senna and o love watching rain races, but, unless they changed in some patch, rain in GT5 is like this:

Suzuka 25 lapper on dry conditions = soft tires
Suzuka 25 lapper on rainy conditions = soft tires

But most importantly, we are doing some coordinated starts because we as a group are not talented enough to handle standing starts. If that´s the case (i still think it´s not), then are we sure we are talented enough to drive in the rain with full damage?

I´m cool with any decision. Would make sense to have weather on the endurances, but before we do so, let´s keep in mind GT5 struggles with it´s driving physics for such conditions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, you guys already tested it? I thought practice was now. :x

Anyway, Rain I don't care either way. But rain is handled really/rendered really badly in GT5. Not to mention the headlights being really crappy for the most part. :/

Toxa

soft tire better than rain tire ? each time I tried soft tire in the rain it was undriveable ! something is wrong somewhere ...

Kaze13

Toxa said:
soft tire better than rain tire ? each time I tried soft tire in the rain it was undriveable ! something is wrong somewhere ...

Yup. I was baffled when I first heard about this. I tried it and couldn't pull any clean laps at all with soft tires...

It´s been a while since i´ve driven on the rain. I´ll try tonight to see if it´s still true.

Going on a trip tomorrow. Will try to stay in touch with the forum.

Dibbz

I'm happy with what ever decision you guys come to about rain just so you know. Still am baffled by some comments. I think one of the main reasons people are having different experiences with rain is because GT doesn't tell you the track condition.

Only if there was some data about track temp, etc could we really understand why some people are struggling and others aren't. I'm certain though that it has to do with some people racing in full on rain and others experiencing drizzle or light rain. It's basically impossible to tell what the track condition is visually. I honestly do not think that it's GT's physics engine that is wrong though.

Dibbz said:
I'm happy with what ever decision you guys come to about rain just so you know. Still am baffled by some comments. I think one of the main reasons people are having different experiences with rain is because GT doesn't tell you the track condition.

Only if there was some data about track temp, etc could we really understand why some people are struggling and others aren't. I'm certain though that it has to do with some people racing in full on rain and others experiencing drizzle or light rain. It's basically impossible to tell what the track condition is visually. I honestly do not think that it's GT's physics engine that is wrong though.

Yes, well, I know what you mean. Angst and I agreed that it's a shame that we can't configure how much rain we want in a race.

If you set it to rain-fixed it will rain A LOT and the track is "undrivable" since the very beginning. Specially with slicks, as it should be. No way someone is faster on slicks than on wet tyres on these conditions.

If you set it to dynamic and it starts rainning, it will be okay for 3-4 or 5 laps max, with reduced grip but still drivable. Then it gets really bad, and it usually rains for a looooong time.

So... if only we could set it to LIGHT rain or to wet track without rain I would like to race like that, but they way it is now it's simply too tiresome and not fun. Yet something else to ask for in a patch.

ashk

Dibbz said:

In my experience from testing for the Nordschleife event, there is no such thing as light rain except when it starts to rain. It always starts out lightly and then ramps up until it gets to full "rain" conditions. I have never witnessed a long light shower. The only thing that can happen is that it stops raining before the track gets fully wet and then you get those intermediate conditions where it's impossible to tell how much water there is on the track.

The physics may not be wrong (and I would agree that they most likely aren't), but in that case the problem is with the amount of rain - there is too much water on the track and the racing is ruined because most of your attention is taken up by trying not to spin out.

Angst

^No practice today for me.

I just realized that the 2nd round will be during the Easter holiday and Easter is a time when a lot of people go home to visit relatives etc.

Neither me nor Gutterboy can make the 2nd round. If lots of people have the same issue we might want to think about skipping the Easter race. Thoughts?

ashk

Angst said:
^No practice today for me.

I just realized that the 2nd round will be during the Easter holiday and Easter is a time when a lot of people go home to visit relatives etc.

Neither me nor Gutterboy can make the 2nd round. If lots of people have the same issue we might want to think about skipping the Easter race. Thoughts?

I can't say for sure if I'll be available to race that weekend since I haven't made any plans yet. But it is certainly possible that I'll also be unavailable. Either way, I wouldn't mind postponing the race if there are more people in favour.

Mush

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
In light of the upcoming Easter holidays, we have decided to postpone the start of Season 2 from the 16th of April, to the 30th of April. We know how it is important to spend this time with your family and friends, so here at the Super GT Committee, we feel it's best that the drivers get to spend as much time as possible with their loved ones before they head back to the track for another Season of racing.

Instead, the Super GT Committee will organise a charity non-championship exhibition event for this upcoming weekend, to benefit those affected by the recent Japan Earthquake.

This event will be a GT300 class event at Tsukuba Circuit. The following cars are available to compete in the event with:

ASL Garaiya (ARTA SuperGT, '08)
Lexus IS350 (WedsSport SuperGT, '08)
RE Amemiya RX-7 (Asparadrink SuperGT, '06)
Subaru Impreza WRX (Cusco Dunlop SuperGT, '08)

ASL Garaiya (ARTA JGTC, '03)
Nissan Silva (C-West Razo JGTC. '01)
RE Amemiya RX-7 (Asparadrink JGTC, '04)
Subaru Impreza WRX (Cusco Advan JGTC, '03)
Toyota Celica (WedsSport JGTC, '03)
Toyota MR-S (SuperAutobacs Apex JGTC, '00)

Season ticket holders will be issued a full refund and be eligible for priority to purchase tickets for this replacement event. Please contact the outlet that you purchased your ticket from for further details.

Top Bottom