• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 - Bathurst trailer

IISANDERII

a7dudq.gif
Stupid camera, hopefully it's only like this for the trailer.

Liamario

Banned
What on Earth are you on about? No it didn't. Shadows, lighting, grass, tree's, aliasing, shaders etc have all been improved in GT6, and that's based on an unfinished demo. Not exactly a massive difference, but it's an improvement none-the-less, and on ageing hardware to boot.

GT5_720p_011.png

GT6_720p_011.png

GT5_720p_000.png

GT6_720p_000.png

GT5_720p_009.png

GT6_720p_009.png

GT5_720p_016.png

GT6_720p_016.png

I don't know the actual source of those screenshots. And I wouldn't suggest that they're not posted bona fide; but the GT6 demo I played look awful. Maybe because I play a lot of PC games now, that my standards have changed- but what I played was not pretty. I never felt that way when I played GT5, but again that could just be my memory of it.

The important point I'm making though, is that the trailers are a total lie.

nib95

Banned

Insanity. Looks....next gen lol. I'd argue these two videos are more realistic (as in graphics and lighting as close to reality as possible) than any next gen racing video we've seen.

On a side note, this segment always cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQO6JHZl-Cs&t=3m15s

I mean, how?! How does he race in that lol.

I don't know the actual source of those screenshots. And I wouldn't suggest that they're not posted bona fide; but the GT6 demo I played look awful. Maybe because I play a lot of PC games now, that my standards have changed- but what I played was not pretty. I never felt that way when I played GT5, but again that could just be my memory of it.

Lol. Digital Foundry, and imo you're wrong. I thought it looked and played great, and I stuck in countless hours in to the demo. And no, the trailers are not a total lie given how amazing the game can look in-game anyway. See every gameplay video posted above, which arguably look better than the trailers.

Gestault

Side note most guys that seems to hate the GT sound uses the TV speakers playing the game... the sound gets better in good surround system ;)

Some cars you can't even say the difference compared with same model in real-life.

Others cars are really bad.

I don't even fall into the negative category, but come on. You have no way of knowing that, one way or the other. The GT series, objectively, has had difficulty getting any semblance of consistency for realistic car sounds or even sounds that are aurally appealing.

velociraptor

Wow. Many years later and the lighting in Prologue still looks jaw dropping.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but I would like to see motion blur and depth of field style effects in GT PS4. It adds another layer of visual spice. :p

Its going to be interesting to devote 3 weeks to the PS4... and then step away and return to my PS3.

GT5 was my most played game of the current generation. Hours upon hours turning laps on the Nordschleife... I doubt any next-gen launch titles will captivate me the way GT6 surely will. The Nordschleife & Bathurst!!!!... it does not get any better.

1 - That's not GT6
2 - Most of those shots are from a track that didn't change.
3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQlWS16GqQ

This kind of trailers is exactly why I think the lack of "generation gap" between the PS360 and the PS4/XBox One problematic for the mainstream audiance. A bullshot/replay trailer of GT6 looks no different than the bullshot/replay trailer of Forza 5. I'm not a huge fan of racing game and I've only looked at these GT6 and Forza 5 videos casually, but I can't see any difference. You could put a GT6 trailer and tell me it's a Forza 5 trailer and I'd believe it.

eso76

What on Earth are you on about? No it didn't. Shadows, lighting, grass, tree's, aliasing, shaders etc have all been improved in GT6, and that's based on an unfinished demo. Not exactly a massive difference, but it's an improvement none-the-less, and on ageing hardware to boot.

GT5_720p_009.png

GT6_720p_009.png

stupid question but when does tessellation kick in ?
it certainly doesn't here, and the car looks close enough.
is it only for photomode/menu ?

I honestly don't think it's implemented yet. Maybe in cockpit, because that looks higher quality....IIRC of course... but it should be just adaptive. Removing the need for LOD's, thus freeing up lots of memory.

nib95

Banned

I think more with other cars on screen and how it compares to regular LOD changes, but I could be wrong. Be interesting to see how the final game compares, since it might not be implemented in the demo yet at all.

uhhhh... bathurst........................... terrible???
...wut+_2bd719b7fafdc67b9dbed52aa4dfb3e9.gif
Seriously, out of all the real world tracks, Bathurst is one of the best next to spa and nurburgring (some might want to include circuit de la sarth, but that's not my thing)... how tight the roads are... all the elevation changes. Sooo gooood.

I think more with other cars on screen and how it compares to regular LOD changes, but I could be wrong. Be interesting to see how the final game compares, since it might not be implemented in the demo yet at all.

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be in use yet.

Seriously, out of all the real world tracks, Bathurst is one of the best next to spa and nurburgring (some might want to include circuit de la sarth, but that's not my thing)... how tight the roads are... all the elevation changes. Sooo gooood.
The entire upper section of the mountain is spectacular. Once you crest the highest point, the winding road and blind corners leading to the downhill straight, are unbelievably fun to drive. The car is on the edge through the entire section... The track exists in my mind as 3 distinct sections. You've got the initial hill climb, the upper technical section, and then the decent from the mountain (where you can finally exhale and relax for a moment before the onslaught begins again).

My favorite tracks are:
#1 - The 24hr Nurburgring (including the Nordschleife)
#2 - Bathurst
#3 - Spa

I am also not particularly blown away by La Sarth... too few corners, no elevation change.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Bathurst? More like a lot of butthurtst from Turn10 amirite? Guys?

I'm really sorry, i'll let myself out..

ethomaz

Banned
I don't even fall into the negative category, but come on. You have no way of knowing that, one way or the other. The GT series, objectively, has had difficulty getting any semblance of consistency for realistic car sounds or even sounds that are aurally appealing.
Why? I tested myself... GT5 sound don't sound good on TV speakers... it a hell of difference for a surround system... for example Forza 3 sound is good on TV speakers.

Some cars is near real life sound using a good system... it's amazing... other are a crap even with a good system.... on TV speakers almost all cars sound are crap.

I am so glad they got rid of that

over-exposed look

with all those details get lost in things like clouds and stuff.

amar212

So unfortunate PD removed most of the cockpit shadows, even if they are very lowres, the shadows that are there in GT6 are so subtle you can barely see it.

Whining was absolutely unbearable for that, but I agree with you.

Although this shadows are much more subtle and unbelievably soft and dispersed in real-time, they definitely lack the hard-contrast and darkness of GT5 ones.

However, we still haven't seen any final GT6 footage - nor it was presented anywhere from what I know - so we will not know how the final game will actually look until we get retail/review copies in our hands.

63 official days.

Snubbers

Can't wait for this.. so nice to see Bathurst getting some love!!!

I doubt even PS4 could pull off in-game as good as the bullshottery in the video, but at least people seem to be sensible with PD and not pull them to pieces over what is becoming an industry norm..

And best of all, my fanatec wheel will deffo work with this game!!!! If PD have actually put some tyre/drivetrain FFB over their normal good track FFB (take Assetto Corsa as a good way of getting FFB Right), then I'll be very happy to sit back and not feel any tinge of regret for giving my XB1 pre-order away..

Oh, and GT7 on PS4 can't come soon enough!

Great time to be an Aussie racing fan, getting to showcase the awesome track that happens to be in the next installment of key console franchises.

Can't wait for this.. so nice to see Bathurst getting some love!!!

I doubt even PS4 could pull off in-game as good as the bullshottery in the video, but at least people seem to be sensible with PD and not pull them to pieces over what is becoming an industry norm!
Oh you... so subtle.

PD has been doing these trailers since the PS2 days... Everyone already knows that's what the game looks like, but with worst IQ.

Amazing that every major track has been crossed off the checklist and now we've moved for things like Magny Cours, Imola, Gilles Villeneuve, Road America and Interlagos.

Just about every major circuit is in the game.

Dead Man

Amazing that every major track has been crossed off the checklist and now we've moved for things like Magny Cours, Imola, Gilles Villeneuve, Road America and Interlagos.

Just about every major circuit is in the game.

El Capitan isn't! Yeah, fictional, I know it's not what you meant, but I miss that track. Grindlewald too.

amar212

El Capitan isn't! Yeah, fictional, I know it's not what you meant, but I miss that track. Grindlewald too.

Obligatory: Midfield Raceway, Tahiti Road, Red Rock Valley, Rome Original, Rome Night, Seattle, Complex String, SRR11 GT1 version, Test Course GT3 version, Driving Park, Ghymkana GT4: Prologue version, New York, Seoul, Hong Kong, Driving Park, Citta di Aria, Capri, Smokey Mountain, Bernese Alps, Cathedral Trails, Grand Canyon, Chamonix GT4 version and its unforgetabble majesty Tahiti Maze GT3 version. For a final good measure, GT1 version of High Speed Ring (shorter and with closed walls) and all Cape Ring layouts in reverse.

..and infamous Toscana Night layout from GT5 vanilla-version where Murcielago is driven on Grand Tour Special Event race. Make it closed circuit and that particular track is godly. That is the best new course created for GT5 IMO, despite being made in Course Maker.

I'm more concerned over the performance of the finished product. 60fps, v-synced and I'll be happy, but I doubt that will happen going by the demo. This should be their number 1 priority ( or I should just stick to pc gaming :)

Perkel

Banned

We don't know if it was in demo which wasn't GT6 demo but GT academy.
We need to see final code to compare it. Silverstone event demos were supposed to crash as fuck (comment by one of people working there).

Also if it is changed engine instead of upgrade to GT5 engine not all features can be implemented. Usually last 3-4 months is when game final look is worked on.

I'm more concerned over the performance of the finished product. 60fps, v-synced and I'll be happy, but I doubt that will happen going by the demo. This should be their number 1 priority ( or I should just stick to pc gaming :)

If you played the demo in 720p, then that's exactly what it was. Some people at recent shows have said that with a full field that there are a few hitches here and there, but the framerate is much more stable than it was in GT5.

Perkel

Banned
Obligatory: Midfield Raceway, Tahiti Road, Red Rock Valley, Rome Original, Rome Night, Seattle, Complex String, SRR11 GT1 version, Test Course GT3 version, Driving Park, Ghymkana GT4: Prologue version, New York, Seoul, Hong Kong, Driving Park, Citta di Aria, Capri, Smokey Mountain, Bernese Alps, Cathedral Trails, Grand Canyon, Chamonix GT4 version and its unforgetabble majesty Tahiti Maze GT3 version. For a final good measure, GT1 version of High Speed Ring (shorter and with closed walls) and all Cape Ring layouts in reverse.

..and infamous Toscana Night layout from GT5 vanilla-version where Murcielago is driven on Grand Tour Special Event race. Make it closed circuit and that particular track is godly. That is the best new course created for GT5 IMO, despite being made in Course Maker.

As i love tracks you mentioned i think it is wrong to use old tracks for sake of nostalgia.

I mean for every track they need to put from old game we essentially get -1 totally new track which could be next El Capitan, Deep Forest.

Some legendary tracks like Nring, barthust, Spa, Deep Forest should be core for game and they should include new tracks around that core in every new game.

amar212

If you played the demo in 720p, then that's exactly what it was. Some people at recent shows have said that with a full field that there are a few hitches here and there, but the framerate is much more stable than it was in GT5.

It is crazy to speculate, but I am assured PD managed to achieved their wizadry purely because of resolution upgrade. If they weren't confident in framerate - and GT5 updates were mainly focused in framerate improvement with bloom experiments - I presume they would stick with 1280 without 1440 bump.

I am only concerned about tearing during rain in cockpit (when whipers are on) and it is the first thing I will try when I get the game (okay, second, I have to make few laps of Apricot first).

It is crazy to speculate, but I am assured PD managed to achieved their wizadry purely because of resolution upgrade. If they weren't confident in framerate - and GT5 updates were mainly focused in framerate improvement with bloom experiments - I presume they would stick with 1280 without 1440 bump.

I am only concerned about tearing during rain in cockpit (when whipers are on) and it is the first thing I will try when I get the game (okay, second, I have to make few laps of Apricot first).

Honestly, GT5 cockpit view, rain and in 3D was an experience to be had, I'm hoping that GT6 can deliver the same.

amar212

Honestly, GT5 cockpit view, rain and in 3D was an experience to be had, I'm hoping that GT6 can deliver the same.

I junped on train and upgraded my 507XD with ST50 two months ago. I am waiting Novemeber sales to purchase 3D goggles and experience it in GT5 before GT6. Since 3D sticker is already on the boxart, 3D in GT6 is a given. I also hope how new engine made enough room for proper PSEye implementation, but even if only in arcade mode (as in GT5) it should be stunning.

I junped on train and upgraded my 507XD with ST50 two months ago. I am waiting Novemeber sales to purchase 3D goggles and experience it in GT5 before GT6. Since 3D sticker is already on the boxart, 3D in GT6 is a given. I also hope how new engine made enough room for proper PSEye implementation, but even if only in arcade mode (as in GT5) it should be stunning.

I've got the LG 960V and it's a beauty, fortunately it's just passive 3D so cheap glasses, but the effect is amazing. Really can't wait to see what Sony do regarding 3D on the next generation too, as I'd love to see some 3D still at 1080.

The engine sounds are obviously total bullshit. They couldn't get that right if their lives depended on it.
Well these trailers are made in-house, so clearly they can. It seems to be a memory issue. I would expect a drastic improvement in sound in the first GT for PS4.

Dead Man

That list is perfection. PD have made some amazing tracks over the years.

Well these trailers are made in-house, so clearly they can. It seems to be a memory issue. I would expect a drastic improvement in sound in the first GT for PS4.

How is it a memory issue? How is memory preventing them from changing the samples they have used for the audio?

Top Bottom