• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 - Bathurst trailer

I will be getting my PS4 first but don't want to get games for PS3 once I've got it but if Driveclub doesn't satisfy that driving itch until GT7 then I may need to purchase this game.

Felt disappointed with GT5 though, I think I'm more used to Forza games now, I just love the decal editor

Neo 007

Great news.Really looking forward to the game.
When new info,or a trailer for GT comes out it's amazing the amount of total TOOLS that post on here.

Gratz dickbags.....get a life.

Gah. Wankers. While working on that sound engine, fix the current one. It's not that hard to do, some of the cars sound great already. Just swallow your pride and admit they suck and fix them up. I don't care how realistic they think it sounds, it sounds like shite and utterly fake.

I don't play GT much but my housemate and his friends do, for hours and i agree Polyphony need to sort out the audio. It's ok at first but after a little while it's like drills in my ears.

My least liked aspect of GT is the sound of the cars. Glad to hear there's some form of overhaul on it's way.

Mascot

Holy shit, that looked incredible. The lighting!

Did PD have this cued up, ready and waiting for Turn 10 to release their static images of Far Cry 2 Bathurst?

Clever, clever marketing if so.

Erdem

Banned
GT always had great driving and graphics. The problem for me was the overly complicated UI that needed to load 235 screens to do what you wanted. I hope they did something in that department.

eso76

Holy shit, that looked incredible. The lighting!

Did PD have this cued up, ready and waiting for Turn 10 to release their static images of Far Cry 2 Bathurst?

Clever, clever marketing if so.

been on the Forza side of things for a while now, but tbh this totally KILLS T10 attempt at a reveal.

All the lighting praise... am I the only one that actually likes the way GT5 looks better? GT6 has more vibrant/unrealistic colors.

ruttyboy

All the lighting praise... am I the only one that actually likes the way GT5 looks better? GT6 has more vibrant/unrealistic colors.

Yeah, for me they could mute the colours slightly, but they're probably listening to all the people who said it was 'boring'...

jns

GT always had great driving and graphics. The problem for me was the overly complicated UI that needed to load 235 screens to do what you wanted. I hope they did something in that department.
Man, I hate to be a complainer but that's the reason I stopped playing GT. I'm going to have to see YouTube walkthroughs of the menu before I even think of picking this up. Whoever designed the previous ui either had no idea how long each screen would take to load, or they were a sadist!

KiteGr

It is actually pretty incredible how great GT5 looks next to F5 considering one is next-gen and the other is current gen.

It's either next gen machines have A LOT more to offer in terms of graphics or PS3 is SO powerful that a current gen and next game look almost the same. (provided you are able to use the power of PS3..:D)

Mush

Never overestimate Turn 10's marketing skills.
ZXjOmgo.jpg

They're doing pretty well for themselves.

In recent years they've also had adverting at the end of the Chase.

Mascot

ZXjOmgo.jpg

They're doing pretty well for themselves.

In recent years they've also had adverting at the end of the Chase.

Yet Spa gets revealed several weeks ago with NO media then or since?

Bathurst gets revealed with just three uninspiring images of an empty track?

My view isn't all that controversial.

Bathurst in GT6, FM5 and iRacing, all within a few months. Luckily there's no such thing as too much Bathurst.

After being ignored for too long finally this amazing track is getting the recognition it deserves.

Mush

Yet Spa gets revealed several weeks ago with NO media then or since?

Bathurst gets revealed with just three uninspiring images of an empty track?

My view isn't all that controversial.
They're probably all too busy deciding on what dubstep song they're gonna use for the trailer.

Good lord best trailers ever.
PD has got a couple wizards in charge of their lighting systems. No game touches how good the variance of day to night with reflective light and ambient light looks.

spisho

Neo Member
Good lord best trailers ever.
PD has got a couple wizards in charge of their lighting systems. No game touches how good the variance of day to night with reflective light and ambient light looks.
I seriously wonder how they pull it off. Were there any tech presentations or post mortems for GT5? Particularly I wonder how the environments are lit and how many light sources are being thrown around.

Pallie

Banned
Sweet hopefully fanatec gets their shit together and I have my clubsport shifter before this drops.
Hopefully they fix the clutch issue that plagues GT5. I'd love to get that CS Shifter too, but I'm not about to drop that kind of coin if Polyphony can't get their shit together on that. It sucks having to use paddles.

Hopefully they fix the clutch issue that plagues GT5. I'd love to get that CS Shifter too, but I'm not about to drop that kind of coin if Polyphony can't get their shit together on that. It sucks having to use paddles.

Yeah it doesn't feel much like driving to me without a shifter and clutch, you could use the h shifter without a clutch in GT5 Prologue, can't remember if it's the same in GT5, little bit better than paddle shifters.

Putty

All the chat of clunky UI blah blah. Didn't any of you play the recent academy? The UI based on that alone should ease any fears of PD doing the same as GT5. It's also one of the main areas PD said they needed to improve on.

saladine1

yeah , i agree , we need " HOLDEN vs FORD " at bathurst

Yes mate, the classic battles need to be replicated and the current GT6 offerings just doesn't cut it.

It was kind of like Turn 10 giving us the V8 Supercars but no Mount Panorama. A little odd.

You are a crack up by the way..

So, we already have excuses for GT6 engines sounds. That means another 3 GT releases of shit engines sounds based on their previous track record. Pretty sure every GT ever releases has had, "new improved super realistic sounds." Yet, still inexcusably bad.

PD = faking engine sounds for their trailers to mask pathetic in game sound
SimBin, iRacing, and others = Release trailers that are solely showcasing in game engine sounds.

If GT6 didn't have Bathurst, I would not be buying it and it would be the first time ever. This series is bordering on unsalvageable due to stagnation. GT7 is going to have twice the pressure GT5 did on it. We immediately got the "future proof" model excuses for GT5 with the standards/premium saga, we still don't have 100% premiums by the end of PS3. If GT7 doesn't bring everything that has been promised for the last 8 years and then some, I think it will kill this franchise dead. Well, at the very least for me.

Bulllllshiiiit. It is just they put zero priority into engine sounds. It is PD's limitations. You could give them 18 PS4s chained together and they would waste it on some H-Spec driver mode or something else.

When you compare the sound between Forza and GT, it becomes painfully obvious how insular the GT team is. There are a dozen other examples, but that is the most obvious one.

amar212

Why it was ever ignored puzzles me.

I am almost certain it has to do with the track being in Australia.

Back in TOCA/V8 Supercar (EA/DICE) times, tracks were either made from videos and CAD/architectural drawings of course-owners or whoever runs the course. In the past 10 years things have drastically changed and visiting and measuring the tracks, together with actual on-location filming, photographing, etc, became an impetus.

We heard about Bathurst being visited and filmed by PD 18 months ago. I presume that work for T10 is done by some outsourcing company they often use for tracks as well.

When you compare the sound between Forza and GT, it becomes painfully obvious how insular the GT team is. There are a dozen other examples, but that is the most obvious one.

On the day when Forza game will have proper surround-spatial audio that will take into concern the position of the engine within the vehicle, mufflers of the car and tyre-sound dependable of sound position source and speaker position, with real-time spatial sound-movement with increase/decrease volume of other cars in the vicinity (with real-time sound position-mix changes depending of the direction of the view in the particular moment - front, left, right, back) as well as real-time Doppler and sounds that do not make stock-Kia sounding like an 300BHP Golf GTI with racing exhaust - I will agree with you.

Until then, I always take" vacuum-cleaners" with PD's sound-production and surround-engineering instead of flat, non-spatialized and equally disturbingly wrong sounds Forza series uses where engine sounds always comes absurdly too-loud from the central speaker (no matter is the car FR, MR or RR), ignoring both left/right surround speakers as well as rear-ones or any nunaces such as sound-position or position of exhausts or whatever.

nib95

Banned

UI in the demo was solid. Quick and pretty intuitive, so I think it'll be one of the things they've sorted out.

saladine1

It's not only Forza though. Almost every other game, arcade or sim, has great sounding vehicles and effects. NFS, Driver, The Crew, RR, pCars, Grid, Dirt..etc all have acceptable and beyond sound effects.
Only PD is left living in the 20th century. I can't believe that this department wasn't their priority for GT6.

Unacceptable and ridiculously mind boggling!

JamboGT

Back in TOCA/V8 Supercar (EA/DICE) times, tracks were either made from videos and CAD/architectural drawings of course-owners or whoever runs the course. In the past 10 years things have drastically changed and visiting and measuring the tracks, together with actual on-location filming, photographing, etc, became an impetus.

We heard about Bathurst being visited and filmed by PD 18 months ago. I presume that work for T10 is done by some outsourcing company they often use for tracks as well.

On the day when Forza game will have proper surround-spatial audio that will take into concern the position of the engine within the vehicle, mufflers of the car and tyre-sound dependable of sound position source and speaker position, with real-time spatial sound-movement with increase/decrease volume of other cars in the vicinity (with real-time sound position-mix changes depending of the direction of the view in the particular moment - front, left, right, back) as well as real-time Doppler and sounds that do not make stock-Kia sounding like an 300BHP Golf GTI with racing exhaust - I will agree with you.

Until then, I always take" vacuum-cleaners" with PD's sound-production and surround-engineering instead of flat, non-spatialized and equally disturbingly wrong sounds Forza series uses where engine sounds always comes absurdly too-loud from the central speaker (no matter is the car FR, MR or RR), ignoring both left/right surround speakers as well as rear-ones or any nunaces such as sound-position or position of exhausts or whatever.

I agree entirely, GT has sound issues but I would take it over Forza any day. There are numerous other examples of sound being done far better.

It's not only Forza though. Almost every other game, arcade or sim, has great sounding vehicles and effects. NFS, Driver, The Crew, RR, pCars, Grid, Dirt..etc all have acceptable and beyond sound effects.
Only PD is left living in the 20th century. I can't believe that this department wasn't their priority for GT6.

Unacceptable and ridiculously mind boggling!

It is a priority. Kaz has just said that he's unsure if it'll be ready for launch. If not then it'll be patched int when it's finished. Either way new sounds will be in GT6.

nib95

Banned

I would argue the opposite. It's quite obvious that GT6 is if anything evidence of the polar opposite, they've taken in feedback on a lot of the issues people had with the previous instalment and corrected them, including the UI, modes, shadows, alpha effects, vehicle customisations, the standard vehicle limitations, the new tracks they've added etc etc.

Sound is about the only thing, which they have said they're improving, but that for the interim is not being overhauled, and they've cited memory reasons for it for the time being. But it's clear from numerous interviews that they are listening and they have got the message, and have at least tinkered with it for GT6 and overhauling for GT7.

You're looking to sound as the sole example of PD being "insular", but when you compare to their biggest competitor, who's launching on a much more powerful console, but still ignoring their fan base on features, dynamic lighting, night and day transitions and all the rest. In that respect, it's not fair to give that label to PD and not to the competition, who if anything have been far more abrasive to their fan base and to the racing community.

Even the fact that PD release these nice trailers, have had multiple tracks playable at the multitude of events etc, have released demo's and have competitions and all the rest. Insular seems like a completely inaccurate descriptor.

nib95

Banned

This is also a great point. People love the exaggerated sounds out of some of the competitors, but don't give credit to the GT franchise for offering considerably better surround spatial audio. Compare how you can pin point locations, sounds and distance of other cars racing around you in GT to it's main rival, and it's a massive difference. Hell with the former you can even make out which specific car is near you or when they're shifting.

saladine1

It is a priority. Kaz has just said that he's unsure if it'll be ready for launch. If not then it'll be patched int when it's finished. Either way new sounds will be in GT6.

New sounds as in absolutely ground up new?
Or just re-working existing sounds?

This is also a great point. People love the exaggerated sounds out of some of the competitors, but don't give credit to the GT franchise for offering considerably better surround spacial audio. Compare how you can pin point locations, sounds and distance of other cars racing around you in GT to it's main rival, and it's a massive difference.
I don't think spacial audio has ever been a point of concern.

I mean what good is all that when my 351ci Windsor motor sounds like an I4?
Or if my BOV sounds like Mr Magoo sneezing?

New sounds as in absolutely ground up new?
Or just re-working existing sounds?

I don't think spacial audio has ever been a point of concern.

I mean what good is all that when my 351ci Windsor motor sounds like an I4?
Or if my BOV sounds like Mr Magoo sneezing?

Slightly modified sounds from what we got in GT5. If you expect anything else you'll be disappointing.

Top Bottom