• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy |OT| English Translation available as of 2016/04/11!

Verelios

So... I've been building my light grid on and off for months and replacing all the SR lumi swords with SSR lumi swords when I get a chance...only to notice my DMG spikes up insanely high whenever I do. I just attributed that to the difference of SR to SSR but I've only realized that unlike other Omega grids...lumi SRs do jack shit.

Why was I building this shit? It was my fault for not reading the skill but...why.

So... I've been building my light grid on and off for months and replacing all the SR lumi swords with SSR lumi swords when I get a chance...only to notice my DMG spikes up insanely high whenever I do. I just attributed that to the difference of SR to SSR but I've only realized that unlike other Omega grids...lumi SRs do jack shit.

Why was I building this shit? It was my fault for not reading the skill but...why.

Lol, easy mistake. Dark / Light Magna SR have no attack skills at all.

Fire Magna isn't any stronger than it was this time last year except for the 40%-60% bump depending on if you can or can't find a Shiva support.

Xeno Flamescythe didn't exist last year. Outside of that weapon simply being a stronger boon on the whole for elemental/magna grids, that weapon also made Berserker the de-facto dps class for fire in most content, which is another boon to elemental/magna builds vs primal.

This is because Rage 4 benefits magna/elemental setups more than primal builds thanks to normal mod, and because having the higher MA uptime(compared to GW dagger classes) is a bigger boon to magna/elemental, who can't obtain boosted MA from grid.

Shiva call itself also muddles the waters a lot for most content. It's pretty easy for fights that aren't the harder variety of 6man HL/Baha HL to get tipped by a Shiva call when it comes to comparing performance.

Magna fire is definitely in a different place than it was last year, even if the major game plan builds for it haven't changed that much.

Felessan

Fire Magna isn't any stronger than it was this time last year except for the 40%-60% bump depending on if you can or can't find a Shiva support.
At this time last year magna fire didn't have
1. FLB IM@S axe
2. Xeno Axe (also at FLB)
3. Mika sword
4. Extra skill on Suzaku katana
So no, last year at this time magna fire was significantly weaker.

Felessan

And what prevent fire magna from having it?
My fire magna grid for example have 3 out of 4, why any other fire magna can't have them?

Felessan

Nothing, it's just a matter of preference.
Your playstyle or favorite characters are a matter of preference.
Being stronger or weaker are matters of quantitative measurements.
You can deliberately choose to play weak playstyle, grid or character - it has nothing to do with overall strength or weakness of element.

Xisiqomelir

Shh, no it's the best. Why use Agni?

Shiva? That's just some crap

Xeno whatsit? COLO CANE ALL THE WAY

EDIT: Amidst the nonsense, I nearly missed congratulating DtL for the joy of Oh My Bahamut!

ohlawd

Shh, no it's the best. Why use Agni?

Shiva? That's just some crap

Xeno whatsit? COLO CANE ALL THE WAY

EDIT: Amidst the nonsense, I nearly missed congratulating DtL for the joy of Oh My Bahamut!

You know none of this was said at all, right

grow the fuck up. shit's embarrassing. all this on top of your grade 2 reading comprehension. too much for me lmao

Xeno Flamescythe didn't exist last year. Outside of that weapon simply being a stronger boon on the whole for elemental/magna grids, that weapon also made Berserker the de-facto dps class for fire in most content, which is another boon to elemental/magna builds vs primal.

This is because Rage 4 benefits magna/elemental setups more than primal builds thanks to normal mod, and because having the higher MA uptime(compared to GW dagger classes) is a bigger boon to magna/elemental, who can't obtain boosted MA from grid.

Shiva call itself also muddles the waters a lot for most content. It's pretty easy for fights that aren't the harder variety of 6man HL/Baha HL to get tipped by a Shiva call when it comes to comparing performance.

Magna fire is definitely in a different place than it was last year, even if the major game plan builds for it haven't changed that much.

vs primal? Xeno axe boosts primal grids immensely too (Completely killing colo canes finally), not to mention agni grids can easily hit cap as well. While rage IV does boost magna/elementals more, on the other hand it means you can bring something else other than it.

Elemental performance wise, Fire is certainly in a better position than Wind now and i'd rank it equal to light.

Water, Earth and Dark are still a cut above the rest...and water hasn't had it's 120% summon yet.

At this time last year magna fire didn't have
1. FLB IM@S axe
2. Xeno Axe (also at FLB)
3. Mika sword
4. Extra skill on Suzaku katana
So no, last year at this time magna fire was significantly weaker.

What does mika sword have to do with magna fire in general? You wouldn't use it except for vs wind content, and your ideal colo build should be ecke sachs too for that content, which invalidates most of that list.

Extra skill doesn't even matter much for colo builds either since it's unboosted. Cap up is good, and again that would mostly see action against vs wind content or non-hl fights for magna fire.

Xisiqomelir

You know none of this was said at all, right

grow the fuck up. shit's embarrassing. all this on top of your grade 2 reading comprehension. too much for me lmao

Hello, what is your position on the strength of magna fire vs elemental or primal fire?

I know you cannot actually contest this point, which is why you are resorting to drive-by posting. I'm not sure why you're trying to needle me, I'm a pretty sedate GAffer.

In any case, this is horrendous thread pollution, for which I am equally culpable, so forgive me for not engaging any of your further replies. Consider yourself as having "won" or whatever.

vs primal? Xeno axe boosts primal grids immensely too (Completely killing colo canes finally), not to mention agni grids can easily hit cap as well. While rage IV does boost magna/elementals more, on the other hand it means you can bring something else other than it.

Xeno axe is a bigger deal for magna grids than it is for primal grids. That doesn't mean xeno axe isn't amazing for primal grids; it's amazing for any grid.

Xisi's own motocal results floating a 3rd axe over having 5 magna weapons in a magna build is proof enough. That wouldn't happen in primal except as filler.

There's really no sub skill Zerker can take that's better than rage IV so I don't really get the 'you can take something else' angle; there isn't a comparable skill that scales better with primal over magna (e.g. fire attack up).

I agree with the rest.

Hello, what is your position on the strength of magna fire vs elemental or primal fire?

My position is that magna and f2p primal builds are pretty much the same. Magna becomes potent a lot sooner than f2p primal. Endgame f2p primal has an edge thanks to more access to utility skill weapons, a higher base multiplier, and the nature of separate critical rolls from grid, but in practice the difference is not terribly significant except in very drawn-out fights.

Double elemental becomes potent even sooner than magna. It has an edge on off/null-element content (except against $$$primal), but with the new Bahamut raid allowing criticals on null enemies, that advantage is going to become less useful--and generally there are better elements to invest in for off-element content anyway.

Double elemental is generally trounced by magna or f2p primal on-element for obvious reasons. The only chance one has to break away with double elemental is in short fights.

TLDR:
"midgame"
f2p primal < magna < elemental < $$$primal

"endgame"
elemental < magna <= f2p primal < $$$primal

Colossus canes are just that bad, you would never use more than 5 at best, and 4 unknown weapons was standard if you wanted to do double elemental summons for some reason.

Xeno axe is a bigger deal for magna grids than it is for primal grids. That doesn't mean xeno axe isn't amazing for primal grids; it's amazing for any grid.

Xisi's own motocal results floating a 3rd axe over having 5 magna weapons in a magna build is proof enough. That wouldn't happen in primal except as filler.

There's really no sub skill Zerker can take that's better than rage IV so I don't really get the 'you can take something else' angle;
there isn't a comparable skill that scales better with primal over magna (e.g. fire attack up).

I agree with the rest.

But there are plenty of skills. For example, i'd bring MM/AB2/Splitting spirit on my zerkers, but for raids like baha HL, i can bring in something else to replace MM like AR3 for more points. Or even revive if i'm being cautious.

As for the motocal bit, that calculation for having 3 xeno axe has been there since Feb when Xeno Ifrit was first out, it's nothing groundbreaking. As Lost said, 4 unknowns is the standard in double elementals and that was the standard since 4* pinya axes.

But there are plenty of skills. For example, i'd bring MM/AB2/Splitting spirit on my zerkers, but for raids like baha HL, i can bring in something else to replace MM like AR3 for more points. Or even revive if i'm being cautious.

The same options are available to Magna and elemental builds, and Class IVs are inherently flexible enough that they could run utility options like that while keeping Rage IV. Selling the free slot as a boon is a stretch.

As for the motocal bit, that calculation for having 3 xeno axe has been there since Feb when Xeno Ifrit was first out, it's nothing groundbreaking. As Lost said, 4 unknowns is the standard in double elementals and that was the standard since 4* pinya axes.

I don't disagree, but I am not trying to point it out as groundbreaking new information. Just an example that is easily available to see in this thread that illustrates my point: Flamescythes are a bigger deal for magna grids than primal grids, because the former is so starved for attack power that running at least 5 vanilla magna weapons isn't a lock--unlike literally every other element's standard magna build.

Yes, double elemental builds use a lot of unknowns. I did mention that flamescythe was a bigger boon for them over primal as well, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

This argument is silly. Every element received buffs over the course of the year. Fire and dirt are just ahead of every other one in getting their skill lvl 15 unknown and new elemental summon before everyone.

Felessan

What does mika sword have to do with magna fire in general? You wouldn't use it except for vs wind content, and your ideal colo build should be ecke sachs too for that content, which invalidates most of that list.
We are in rainbow meta, so I naturally assume that one can talk only about on-element from now on.
And "most"? You will still use both Xeno and Mika even with ecke sachs (and they are pain to farm, so you will still use imas and xeno inbetween, of course if you don't want to farm several xeno axes, that is serious dedication),

Extra skill doesn't even matter much for colo builds either since it's unboosted. Cap up is good, and again that would mostly see action against vs wind content or non-hl fights for magna fire.
Extra skill is good when you want survivability. You can't always hope that boss will be locked with blind/fear/charm/para/break lock etc and judging from the direction of GW bosses and recent raids took, new raids will have immunity to some debuffs to invalidate current "super glass canon" strategy.

Woot got 3rd eternal, now to grind angel halo until the celebration ends, 5* still aiming for it.
DCZMsXKWAAA-Gyw.jpg:large

Dragner

Got all my mats for unlock row IV classes. Waiting for the reset tomorrow for the last 5 distinctions. Now to decide what to build first, wind main.

I know everybody recomend spartan or sage first but I dont really see the improvement over row III. Its not that big unless Im missing anything.

Feeling like making chaos ruler since it looks badass and his skills are actually good in my eyes. I would do warlock but I used mage distinctions for my weapon.

Thinking on doing Chaos Ruler > Bandit Tycoon > Warlock > Sage. Have CP to unlock 4 right now.

Elysians seem broken but I dont think it gives anything for wind. I will have to unlock it in the future.

Strimei

Saw some screenshots of cameos from the latest/last episode of the anime, and like, I know female draph are short, but man it didn't click for me until I saw Narmaya in relation to the MC.

Gizuko

Got all my mats for unlock row IV classes. Waiting for the reset tomorrow for the last 5 distinctions. Now to decide what to build first, wind main.

I know everybody recomend spartan or sage first but I dont really see the improvement over row III. Its not that big unless Im missing anything.

Feeling like making chaos ruler since it looks badass and his skills are actually good in my eyes. I would do warlock but I used mage distinctions for my weapon.

Thinking on doing Chaos Ruler > Bandit Tycoon > Warlock > Sage. Have CP to unlock 4 right now.

Elysians seem broken but I dont think it gives anything for wind. I will have to unlock it in the future.

Sparta's biggest improvement over HS is getting rid of OS and substitute and getting access to a delay (which will probably save your ass after breaks/para in baha HL more than once). Debuff res is a nice addition but not ground-breaking.

Sage/Sparta are often recommended because they can be played off-element in 6-man HL, and most players new to HL content won't have on-element grids readily available. Think of a water main joining HL Marius with their best team, for example.

You won't be able to play CR vs Nezha as a wind main, unless you have an HL-ready fire grid already, in which case you'd still need an off-element class to join Twin Elements HL.

In short: Bandit Tycoon/Warlock (specifically) are awesome for wind teams, but since you won't be using either in 6-man HL at the beginning, do get either Sparta or Sage soon-ish.

Dragner

Sparta's biggest improvement over HS is getting rid of OS and substitute and getting access to a delay (which will probably save your ass after breaks/para in baha HL more than once). Debuff res is a nice addition but not ground-breaking.

Sage/Sparta are often recommended because they can be played off-element in 6-man HL, and most players new to HL content won't have on-element grids readily available. Think of a water main joining HL Marius with their best team, for example.

You won't be able to play CR vs Nezha as a wind main, unless you have an HL-ready fire grid already, in which case you'd still need an off-element class to join Twin Elements HL.

In short: Bandit Tycoon/Warlock (specifically) are awesome for wind teams, but since you won't be using either in 6-man HL at the beginning, do get either Sparta or Sage soon-ish.

got it, but my concern is, for example, if I play Sparta vs Nezha/Baha HL, even with a delay, being off element it wont land right? unless its landing rate is amazing that I dont know, then I would need to equip a fire/light weapon on my sparta, at that point is the same that equiping a fire weapon on my chaos ruler right?. I will make both for sure, but just to make sure I go with the right class. I guess that having that much CP I could just unlock both and call it a day. Then unlock Warlock and Bandit with the monthly reset (I have most of the mats to make an Oliver too, missing plates only, so Bandit is on my radar but not top priority since I need gun stones for my grid)

garath

Bandit is best for massive damage in a raid. Synergy with gun pool, self buffs for break assassin and triple attack and team mirror image. It's also pretty good for light gun pools for the same reason. It was the first tier4 I unlocked personally. That said, I haven't used it in a long time.

I use warlock and chaos ruler extensively for all elements. Wind especially likes it. However if you are a Rosetta user then ruler loses a little luster. You don't really get an advantage with it. Unpredictable is too unpredictable, dropping blinds, paralyze and charms.

Sparta and sage are very important for HL content however. They bring a lot of value to the raid which will be important to support the guys that can do the damage. Until you can fill that role, the support role is your best bet. The real value of Sparta is swapping out the useless skills.

You need to be tackling HL content soon ish to start uncapping your weapons and developing a final limit break pool.

If you don't use Rosetta then ruler is a good first unlock but try to fast follow with sage or Sparta.

Sage is honestly the safe route for 6mans tbh, many times raids are saved at the final triggers by their healing prowess. I didnt finally stop playing as sage until I had >50K atk (in game calc) for superior elements. Though things go downhill fast when theres no reviver.

Dragner

Sage is honestly the safe route for 6mans tbh, many times raids are saved at the final triggers by their healing prowess. I didnt finally stop playing as sage until I had >50K atk (in game calc) for superior elements. Though things go downhill fast when theres no reviver.

Thinking on doing Sage maybe so I can be useful on Nezha HL, I dont feel playing Spartan first until I feel confortable with the triggers. With sage I can always Heal on CD and do fine.

What subskills did you use with Sage?

Gizuko

got it, but my concern is, for example, if I play Sparta vs Nezha/Baha HL, even with a delay, being off element it wont land right? unless its landing rate is amazing that I dont know, then I would need to equip a fire/light weapon on my sparta, at that point is the same that equiping a fire weapon on my chaos ruler right?. I will make both for sure, but just to make sure I go with the right class. I guess that having that much CP I could just unlock both and call it a day. Then unlock Warlock and Bandit with the monthly reset (I have most of the mats to make an Oliver too, missing plates only, so Bandit is on my radar but not top priority since I need gun stones for my grid)

Success rate is pretty good, yes, I remember it landing pretty often in BahaHL with my water comp. I did have Altair though.

I'd also echo the fact that sage seems safer/easier to play early on. Don't be afraid of playing Sparta though, you'll be fine so long as you read a guide beforehand, but since wind has the RoB spear Sage is also particularly nice.

Nothing but Celeste selfies and non-dagger Levi SSRs (ever notice that all Levi SSRs other than the dagger look the same?) for me all magfest. Easily spent more berries on this one than any prior magfest too. Sucks. I got one event dagger to FLB but ran out of steam there and didn't get a sausage axe like I wanted.

Edit: Ok got my very first ancient ecke sachs so I guess I am finally starting on my F2P Agni grid. Lol. If I can get one more uncap stone for Agni I guess.
Edit again: oops no that's the magna one

Strimei

So there was a new EMP update, and one that I particularly like is a new support+ skill Petra (SSR at least) got.

"Fire, water, and earth ATK boosts also boost wind ATK."

And remember, she's got Elemental Breath as an ability, which boosts all allies' fire, water, earth, and wind attack. From what I've seen elsewhere, she gets quite a nice buff from it all.

vall03

I struggled through previous GW, but not so much during this one. I only have one Light SSR, Io. I like her VA and all, but her kit is seriously not that great, but I don't have anyone better to replace her, and I'm already using SR Albert and 5* Noa. Everything just dies so fast and this team requires too much button pressing. I don't know if I'll be able get enough Tokens to open three Axes and 11M Honor for the 3 Blue Sky Crystals. Maybe I should just go yolo and use my Dark team. *sigh*

Gizuko

My light grid isn't there yet so I'm really struggling this time around.

Still, I do have the resources to open raids, so I'll have to leave most of the hard work to you guys.

Draxal

My light grid isn't there yet so I'm really struggling this time around.

Still, I do have the resources to open raids, so I'll have to leave most of the hard work to you guys.

Tbh, you are one of our only carries and I don't think Troom has many light lords.

Gizuko

Does anyone know if 2* Raphael (unkown light gun) is stronger than 3* nigredo? When not used as MH, I mean. Going for the 2 unkowns route.

Tbh, you are one of our only carries and I don't think Troom has many light lords.

Well, I do not expect many C-tier crews to be much ahead of us in that regard. Light is usually regarded as a hard to farm element (and not without reason), but is usually not brought up when discussing broken/op grids (because most people realize getting the required amount of swords is no easy feat).

In short, I expect most guilds to be around our level in C-tier, since light doesn't have the appeal dark has (enmity/zoey memes) nor the ease to farm wheel elements have.

We should really give it a spin, qualify and see how it goes.

Top Bottom