• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto 04.02: "The Lost & Damned" (!!Official Thread!!)

Flunkie

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Anyone have a link of all the differences/additions from GTA4 and TLAD?
I'd like to know this too. I just started last night and I immediately noticed a difference in the way that Niko and Johnny walk/run. Johnny's turning seems stiffer and more non-animationy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
You can hear him say a few lines of dialogue over the bug that you implant in Bernie's boyfriends car.

yeah I just did all the Stubbs side missions. He has something different to say every time you call, there's even another Luis reference in there

Proc

Just finished the main campaign. Damn that was gta 4 at its finest through and throughout. Some of the best story telling I've seen in any game that I've played. What an amazing ride.

Wow.

Just finished the storyline. Fucking spectacular final mission and WOW what fucking credits. I wanted to give them a standing ovation at the end. And they also pretty much confirm the rumors of the third DLC subject. I can't see how this dude can hold a candle to Johnny and crew but we'll have to see.

It really made you appreciate everything in GTAIV. I'd actually like to play through it again, and I didn't even want to do that with IV. Just fucking phenomenal.

Kak.efes

My apologies if this has already been asked, but the GTA4 DLC for the 360 is a timed exclusive, right? It will be released on the PS3 at some point?

I just purchased GTA4, and I'm loving the hell out of it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I own the PC version and the PS3 version.

It hurts that I can't play this. :(

Kak.efes said:
My apologies if this has already been asked, but the GTA4 DLC for the 360 is a timed exclusive, right? It will be released on the PS3 at some point?

I just purchased GTA4, and I'm loving the hell out of it.

They've never said one way or another. But then, they wouldn't, would they?

bj00rn_

Banned
Kak.efes said:
the GTA4 DLC for the 360 is a timed exclusive, right? It will be released on the PS3 at some point?

I don't know. But if MS paid 50 million for a timed exclusive they are more insane/have more money than I thought.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Smokey said:
Did I just see a guys WANG in a cut-scene in Lost & damned

why, i think i did

What? Did you download a patch or something? Dude, what the fuck :lol :lol Did you take a photo? :lol Get Kotaku on the line!

pr0cs

Finished the DLC this weekend. 10 hours 30 minutes or so. 88% complete.
I'm not much of a completionist so that will probably be as far as I go.

A much more cohesive story throughout.

Some missions were epic one bike chase mission where you were being chased and the final mission were both as good as any mission in the original GTA4 game (including the bank heist mission in GTA4).

Can't wait for the next DLC. I hope they sell enough to encourage R* to develop all their games this way. Smaller pieces seems that they can hold a much more consistent feel throughout.

I just realized, I definitely need to play the game again.

I never
called Stubbs during the Prison Break
. God, I bet something amazing happens.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I just realized, I definitely need to play the game again.

I never
called Stubbs during the Prison Break
. God, I bet something amazing happens.

I did and nothing happened. Maybe I did it at the wrong time?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
i called him after. i called most people after. the post game conversations are always worth it. the one with ashley was awesome

been on a serious gta iv kick lately. replayed iv and LAD and I still can't get enough. the replays made it clear i will never understand iv haters.

Darunia said:
i called him after. i called most people after. the post game conversations are always worth it. the one with ashley was awesome

been on a serious gta iv kick lately. replayed iv and LAD and I still can't get enough. the replays made me realize i will never understand iv haters

Seriously. It can't be said enough. These two games are phenomenal achievements.

Kifimbo

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously. It can't be said enough. These two games are phenomenal achievements.

Hype played a big role. This time around, the hype was almost non-existant for The Lost and Damned. It's easier to surpass low expectations.

Also, no one can deny that the story in GTA IV became stupid after 5 hours, Niko just became a killing machine for no logic reason. The missions were also repetitive and often scripted. You would also get phone calls every 5 minutes to play pool or bowling. In this expansion, everything is much more cohesive, the missions are better and the biker gang thing is a cool setting.

Just finished it a little while ago, loved it. Well done Rockstar, this is how DLC should be done.

I would recommend to anyone who's buying this to take their time and enjoy all the facets of the new content that have been implimented into Lberty City. For example I never realised there was a new comedian in TL&tD
Franke Boyle, from my home town of Glasgow
until I recognised their name in the end credits.

There's all sorts of other new stuff too I'm sure, on the internet and on TV. The radio has some updates too to go along with the new soundtrack (as well as the old one). Playing this has made me decide to play through GTA4 again. Or at least try and finish up some missions I hadn't done on my story complete save.

Kifimbo said:
Hype played a big role. This time around, the hype was almost non-existant for The Lost and Damned. It's easier to surpass low expectations.

Also, no one can deny that the story in GTA IV became stupid after 5 hours, Niko just became a killing machine for no logic reason. The missions were also repetitive and often scripted. You would also get phone calls every 5 minutes to play pool or bowling. In this expansion, everything is much more cohesive, the missions are better and the biker gang thing is a cool setting.

I can deny it rather handily. It retained its theme of obsolescence very strongly, all the way through to last two missions. Unless you played really fast, it took me a lot longer than five hours to reach that point.

Also, I find it a bit amusing that a ruthless Serbian soldier becoming a killing machine has no basis in logic. The city and his own lack of experience in it pushed him to the things he did. I never found myself turning to avoid any kind of mission-based conflict for Niko, in stark contrast to my complete inability to go on any rampage whatsoever. The story, I felt, gave him adequate motivation for everything. Financially speaking, he was helping his cousin, but also I'm sure he wanted to cement a life for himself. I don't think it's a fault of the storytelling, but the money system of the game definitely worked against this.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
McBacon said:
What were you buying?!

ammo.

ammo for the rocket launcher right now is like what $3500?

I have only 16k with johnny and with nikko I had like 450k plus.

Sure I didnt use all of the money but it was nice having it there just so I'd always be armed to the teeth.

Right now the missions are getting harder and I need a carbine badly. I guess I'll have to invest all my monies.

are there any good deals on GTA4 for the 360 now?

BenjaminBirdie said:
I can deny it rather handily. It retained its theme of obsolescence very strongly, all the way through to last two missions. Unless you played really fast, it took me a lot longer than five hours to reach that point.

Also, I find it a bit amusing that a ruthless Serbian soldier becoming a killing machine has no basis in logic. The city and his own lack of experience in it pushed him to the things he did. I never found myself turning to avoid any kind of mission-based conflict for Niko, in stark contrast to my complete inability to go on any rampage whatsoever. The story, I felt, gave him adequate motivation for everything. Financially speaking, he was helping his cousin, but also I'm sure he wanted to cement a life for himself. I don't think it's a fault of the storytelling, but the money system of the game definitely worked against this.

I can tell you that the point the GTA4 story became uninteresting was
after the the initial stuff on the first Island -- maybe 10 or so hours iirc. Still had interesting blips like the random encounters and specifically the final Playboy X / Dwayne mission; other than that it became kinda awful.

squicken

BenjaminBirdie said:

I love both games, but have to disagree. I had $300k and was doing hits for Francis for $5k. Francis' threats were in earlier missions. In the last couple Niko just wanted money.

All the stuff early in the game, with the Russians, made me really feel sympathetic towards Niko. After that it went downhill.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The one big issue i have with vanilla IV gameplay-wise is how some of the chase missions were handled. Take No Way on the Subway for example. The mission objective explicitly says 'take out the bikers', but you can't do that unless you get past some parts in the chase. In other missions it's possible to take out the target from the start. It's very unclear what you have to do in some spots. Another example is Bernie's pleasure cruise. You can fire on the boat all day long, but it won't matter none cause the targets have to get on land.

It seems like Rockstar got this because TLAD got rid off all that. If the objective says 'chase and take them out', you can really do so and possibly ice the driver a couple of blocks in.

Linkzg said:
I can tell you that the point the GTA4 story became uninteresting was
after the the initial stuff on the first Island -- maybe 10 or so hours iirc. Still had interesting blips like the random encounters and specifically the final Playboy X / Dwayne mission; other than that it became kinda awful.

Personally, I found all the McReary and mob stuff interesting. The family dynamic was great (and I was the one person on Earth who really liked Kate), and the way the mob was depicted as a slowly withering exercise of futility was nice as well.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Agreed. When people complain that Niko had qualms about killing but still did it all through the game, I wonder if they've seen most of the crime movies of the past 50 years. Are there some missions that step over the line that Niko is a "good" guy? Of course. Doesn't change anything about the fact that a character can feel remorse for some actions. GTA 4 was the story of an immigrant being drawn into a life of crime. Is it absolutely perfect in that regard? No. It's themes are still better and a lot more interesting than 90% of other games out there.

Getting an inner monologue into a character is never a bad thing.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Personally, I found all the McReary and mob stuff interesting. The family dynamic was great (and I was the one person on Earth who really liked Kate), and the way the mob was depicted as a slowly withering exercise of futility was nice as well.

I didn't like Kate mainly because I think they picked a poor voice actress but I also agree. I liked all the mob stuff and the McReary's storyline.

Tobor

squicken said:
I love both games, but have to disagree. I had $300k and was doing hits for Francis for $5k. Francis' threats were in earlier missions. In the last couple Niko just wanted money.

All the stuff early in the game, with the Russians, made me really feel sympathetic towards Niko. After that it went downhill.

That's not a fault of the story, though, it's a fault in the balancing of money in the game. R* have definitely corrected that in LATD.

Stoney Mason said:
Agreed. When people complain that Niko had qualms about killing but still did it all through the game, I wonder if they've seen most of the crime movies of the past 50 years. Are there some missions that step over the line that Niko is a "good" guy? Of course. Doesn't change anything about the fact that a character can feel remorse for some actions. GTA 4 was the story of an immigrant being drawn into a life of crime. Is it absolutely perfect in that regard? No. It's themes are still better and a lot more interesting than 90% of other games out there.

Getting an inner monologue into a character is never a bad thing.

Totally nailed it. That's exactly how I felt.

BenjaminBirdie said:

maybe it's because all that stuff had been done before in other games, and done better in other games, that I found it so boring compared to the fresh earlier sections of the game.

Linkzg said:
maybe it's because all that stuff had been done before in other games, and done better in other games, that I found it so boring compared to the fresh earlier sections of the game.

Yeah, I hadn't seen it before in a game. It's the first GTA I've ever finished.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, I hadn't seen it before in a game. It's the first GTA I've ever finished.

lol same here.

I think achievements have helped me out in that regard: finishing games

I finally did that annoying pipe bomb mission, it was actually pretty fun once I got a taxi and took out the vans from a car.

I was dying on the damn bike.

ChrisGoldstein said:
lol same here.

I think achievements have helped me out in that regard: finishing games

I finally did that annoying pipe bomb mission, it was actually pretty fun once I got a taxi and took out the vans from a car.

Having heard about so many people's struggles with it, I was surprised at how easy I found it. Just rode ahead and dropped them behind me.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
BenjaminBirdie said:
Having heard about so many people's struggles with it, I was surprised at how easy I found it. Just rode ahead and dropped them behind me.

I just thought you could throw them further, or at least in front of you.

I never used grenades in vanilla IV when I was driving a car so I was not used to the mechanics.

I really just ended up shooting the vans until they blew up, I only used the pipe bomb on one.

I have always played with auto aim off so I dont know if that had something to do with it.

auto aim is what ruined the mp imo

pr0cs

BenjaminBirdie said:
For me I think it was the hardest mission in TLAD. I'd drop the bomb and the van would turn or miss the bomb altogether.
I had to switch to a car, on the bike I'd get shot too easily.

Dabanton

ChrisGoldstein said:

You could have just shot the driver the van would stop then blow them up.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Tobor said:
I know there are random missions in this, but I can't seem to find any. What am I missing?

You just have to look at your map and there are little people icons, like the men's restroom icon.

They pop up at random times.

Dabanton said:
You could have just shot the driver the van would stop then blow them up.

yeah I did that on one of them but it's tough aiming while in a car...with auto aim off

It's more exciting though imo

Tobor

ChrisGoldstein said:
You just have to look at your map and there are little people icons, like the men's restroom icon.

They pop up at random times.

I remember how they show up from the first game, I just haven't found one yet. I guess I'll keep looking.

EDIT: Nevermind, I must be blind. I see two of them now.

pr0cs said:
For me I think it was the hardest mission in TLAD. I'd drop the bomb and the van would turn or miss the bomb altogether.
I had to switch to a car, on the bike I'd get shot too easily.

I literally never even looked behind me. Just skitted in front, dropped three, waited for the explosions and once Johnny said "Eat my doodie, you jerks" or whatever, went on to the next one.

pr0cs

BenjaminBirdie said:
I literally never even looked behind me. Just skitted in front, dropped three, waited for the explosions and once Johnny said "Eat my doodie, you jerks" or whatever, went on to the next one.
remind me to never play cards with you.. lucky bastage :lol

Salmonax

Stoney Mason said:
I didn't like Kate mainly because I think they picked a poor voice actress but I also agree.
Nobody's worse than Michelle. It's like they had the receptionist fill in for a sick actress.

I'm now deep in a GTAIV kick. After finishing TLAD (credits were awesome), I immediately started a new file of GTAIV having not played since my first run. The references to the Lost, though somewhat few and far between, are great. I loved meeting Johnny, especially because I thought nothing of meeting him the first time around. Playboy actually goes into a small amount of detail about Johnny and the TLAD storyline during that shared mission, which I thought was very cool.

Rockstar North should keep up the whole intertwining stories concept and expand on it. I wouldn't mind if GTA5 were actually three smaller, tighter games set in the same city. GTA games seem to unravel in later missions anyway.

pr0cs said:
remind me to never play cards with you.. lucky bastage :lol

It might be because I never held down the button very long. I remember I did actually look back once and it looked like it was almost magnetically drawn to the van. It bounced a few times and blew up right under it. Maybe you guys were holding the fuse too long and it blew before it landed near the vans?

Tobor

Salmonax said:
Nobody's worse than Michelle. It's like they had the receptionist fill in for a sick actress.

I'm now deep in a GTAIV kick. After finishing TLAD (credits were awesome), I immediately started a new file of GTAIV having not played since my first run. The references to the Lost, though somewhat few and far between, are great. I loved meeting Johnny, especially because I thought nothing of meeting him the first time around. Playboy actually goes into a small amount of detail about Johnny and the TLAD storyline during that shared mission, which I thought was very cool.

Rockstar North should keep up the whole intertwining stories concept and expand on it. I wouldn't mind if GTA5 were actually three smaller, tighter games set in the same city. GTA games seem to unravel in later missions anyway.

I'll probably start a new GTA4 game as soon as I'm finished with LATD as well. I just can't get enough right now. I had forgotten all about that weird cutscene with
Ashley and Ray
until now, when it's all tied back together. I remember watching that scene in my GTA4 playthrough, thinking "What the hell was that about?" So awesome.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
BenjaminBirdie said:
It might be because I never held down the button very long. I remember I did actually look back once and it looked like it was almost magnetically drawn to the van. It bounced a few times and blew up right under it. Maybe you guys were holding the fuse too long and it blew before it landed near the vans?

No I never thought to throw 3 out of the car. I'm just really stingy with my ammo since Johnny is a broke ass mofo

Shit I'm having more trouble with the mission where you stop at the toll booth waiting for the van. I guess it's just that I like using the rpg and the cops always show up and make things tough.

ChrisGoldstein said:
No I never thought to throw 3 out of the car. I'm just really stingy with my ammo since Johnny is a broke ass mofo

Shit I'm having more trouble with the mission where you stop at the toll booth waiting for the van. I guess it's just that I like using the rpg and the cops always show up and make things tough.

THAT was hard. As was the Mule mission.

Dabanton

ChrisGoldstein said:

Yeah that's a real tricky mission,what i did was save up for a grenade launcher by doing the gang wars.

Then let those first two cars go through and lob a grenade at the back of them blew them up then took care of the rest,then it's just you and Malc who have to get away from the police.

In the van which is pretty easy.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Salmonax said:
I loved meeting Johnny, especially because I thought nothing of meeting him the first time around. .

Actually I thought Johnny looked like a bad ass motherfucker the first time I saw him. I was like damn it's going to be a bitch killing this dude.

This made TLAD so much more fun because you got to see he was actually a good guy...well he has good intentions lol

Top Bottom