• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grandia® II Anniversary Edition (PC) |OT| Still Not Vague Enough 15 Years Later

So I'm confused. Is my 360 pad not supposed to work? It says partial controller support on the store page, which usually means it just doesn't work for menus. But, as far as I can tell, it just doesn't work, period.

However, the controller does register when I try to set it up before launching the game.

Any advice?

This fixed my issue of XInput controllers not working in-game (despite being fine for the config). However, the Right Stick doesn't work, instead putting the camera left/right controls of the RS over on LT/RT (this is independent of the button config settings).
fix for controller problems

go control panel, devices and printers, find 360 controller for winfows, right click and game controller setings, click advanced and it should come up with a box saying select device you want to use for older programs and click 360 controllers for windows. load up the game and 360 controller works

Saikyo

Finished the game,30 hours.

There was some graphical glitches and desynched japanese audio but still had a lot of fun with the game. Hope it sells well and the next port is Grandia 1.

"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! A tremendously wonderful Grandia II: Anniversary Edition patch should be dropping this week -- stay tuned!"
https://twitter.com/GungHo_America/status/638835133437489152

I refunded it due to the early bugs, but this might make me repurchase.

Cool. There's quite a lot to fix just from my playthrough - clipping, JP voice desynch, dodgy music looping, Liligue crash, the seabound granacliff traversal vid not playing, and possibly too-loud footfalls on surfaces (not sure if this last one was on the DC version).

Caspel, I realise it won't be happening in this patch, but would you be open to text fixes in a future release? Falk already mentioned some of the debuff descriptions give you the wrong info as to which stat would be affected.

BTW, has anyone here ever played the JP version? I came across an old comment from someone who had who said that Hemble (arm wrestling guy) wanted Ryudo as his lover if he won, as opposed to getting Skye. Was wondering if that was accurate.

Falk

that puzzling face
From my experience the game appears to go into a state where all FMVs don't play. Just a black screen (screenshotting it with Steam overlay built in screenshot gives you a white screenshot LOL)

Restarting the game seems to fix it. Annoying. :(

From my experience the game appears to go into a state where all FMVs don't play. Just a black screen (screenshotting it with Steam overlay built in screenshot gives you a white screenshot LOL)

Restarting the game seems to fix it. Annoying. :(

Guess I'm lucky, only had one so far - the entire screen was black apart from one large vertical oblong which showed a frozen part of the image. It then moved to a second cutscence which showed correctly.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wait, that actually sounds like a separate issue.

edit: This is what I got

iJ7pfd2.jpg

BONKERS

So I'm confused. Is my 360 pad not supposed to work? It says partial controller support on the store page, which usually means it just doesn't work for menus. But, as far as I can tell, it just doesn't work, period.

However, the controller does register when I try to set it up before launching the game.

Any advice?

My wired 360 works fine

Paltheos

Would anyone be able to help, if you've tried this? I'm using a PS2 pad to play. It actually works in-game, but the config menu's not ecognizing it, leaving me unable to remap the buttons. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but the defaults for the PS2 pad are Triangle/Circle/R1 for Confirm/Cancel/Menu, which is just awkward (I haven't gotten into a battle yet, so I don't know if Cycle Target is mapped at all).

Edit: Played some. It takes some getting used to, but it's definitely serviceable.

Falk

that puzzling face
I hope the game is now permanently in 21:9 with no way to toggle it back just to troll all you people.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520518688941726463/

pdate 1.03 out now! [Official Patch Notes Thread]
The big update is here, and I’m happy to share a special message straight from the dev team:

We're pleased to announce Update 1.03 for Grandia II Anniversary Edition! This updates focuses on fan requested features, additional bug fixes and game stability improvements.

The biggest update is undoubtedly the unlocking of 60fps battles! It looks amazing. Please note, 60FPS battles are more taxing on your PC setup so if you run into issues please let us know or try lowering your quality settings. Unchecking 60FPS Battles in the Launcher will return battles to the previous 30FPS setting. For people with low end systems we've also added a toggle to turn off the Improved Shadows. This may help people with lower end systems run the game at a higher resolution and/or better frame rate. Results will vary. For those that live stream the game, do let's play videos, or just like to multi task we've added a toggle to allow the game to continue running when focus is lost. A number of Volume sliders have been exposed including footsteps! 0 is OFF, 100 is MAX. We've set a new default volume mix but please tune to your own liking. Lastly a number of critical issues were fixed as well as two memory leaks which we hope greatly improves the game stability. Please read below for the full patch notes.

We're hoping most of the community enjoys the changes in 1.03. Please know that we're actively reading & monitoring the forums for your feedback and comments. We are determined to make this the definitive version of Grandia II and will continue to support it. More improvements are planned and once we have further details to share we'll let you know! For now.... GAME ON!!!

Update 1.03

New Video Settings
- 60FPS Battles On/Off toggle
- Shadows On/Off toggle
- Pause App on Focus Loss On/Off toggle
- 4K & Ultra Wide resolutions added
- Custom resolution support added (type any resolution in the drop down box)

New Audio Settings
- Music Volume added
- Speech Volume added
- SFX Volume added
- Ambience Volume added
- Footsteps Volume added
- New Default Volume Mix updated

Gamepad
- Analog Camera On/Off toggle (disable for a temp fix for Xbox One controllers on Windows 10)
- Analog Movement On/Off toggle

Bug Fixes
- Fixed two memory leaks
- Fixed crash when Roan talks to NPC in Liligue City
- Fixed delayed from occurring at the end of moves/magic that play videos
- Fixed ground clipping on Millenia's Fallen Wings move

Misc
- Added Version Number to Main Launcher Window

Ooccoo

I've shitted on the port but I gotta admit Gung Ho is on top of things. Glad with my purchase now, although it does not excuse a poor launch.

Nyoro SF

U P D A T E B O Y S

Props to the 60fps support.

I'll be looking forward to this once I finish the 2 games ahead in my backlog. Glad I invested early :)

Nice, makes it even easier to grab this sometime down the road...

I'd get it right now to support these guys but really, if i supported every dev that make the things i'm interested in, i'd be broke in a heartbeat :(

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
OH MY GOD YES.

They updated the sound mixing! This is something that I figured they would never do. Hopefully all the god awful sound effects and footsteps are much softer by default. If not, at least they added sliders for me to turn that shit off myself.

GLORIOUS PATCH.

Tizoc

http://steamcommunity.com/app/330390/discussions/0/520518688941726463/

pdate 1.03 out now! [Official Patch Notes Thread]
The big update is here, and I’m happy to share a special message straight from the dev team:

We're pleased to announce Update 1.03 for Grandia II Anniversary Edition! This updates focuses on fan requested features, additional bug fixes and game stability improvements.

The biggest update is undoubtedly the unlocking of 60fps battles! It looks amazing. Please note, 60FPS battles are more taxing on your PC setup so if you run into issues please let us know or try lowering your quality settings. Unchecking 60FPS Battles in the Launcher will return battles to the previous 30FPS setting. For people with low end systems we've also added a toggle to turn off the Improved Shadows. This may help people with lower end systems run the game at a higher resolution and/or better frame rate. Results will vary. For those that live stream the game, do let's play videos, or just like to multi task we've added a toggle to allow the game to continue running when focus is lost. A number of Volume sliders have been exposed including footsteps! 0 is OFF, 100 is MAX. We've set a new default volume mix but please tune to your own liking. Lastly a number of critical issues were fixed as well as two memory leaks which we hope greatly improves the game stability. Please read below for the full patch notes.

We're hoping most of the community enjoys the changes in 1.03. Please know that we're actively reading & monitoring the forums for your feedback and comments. We are determined to make this the definitive version of Grandia II and will continue to support it. More improvements are planned and once we have further details to share we'll let you know! For now.... GAME ON!!!

Update 1.03

New Video Settings
- 60FPS Battles On/Off toggle
- Shadows On/Off toggle
- Pause App on Focus Loss On/Off toggle
- 4K & Ultra Wide resolutions added
- Custom resolution support added (type any resolution in the drop down box)

New Audio Settings
- Music Volume added
- Speech Volume added
- SFX Volume added
- Ambience Volume added
- Footsteps Volume added
- New Default Volume Mix updated

Gamepad
- Analog Camera On/Off toggle (disable for a temp fix for Xbox One controllers on Windows 10)
- Analog Movement On/Off toggle

Bug Fixes
- Fixed two memory leaks
- Fixed crash when Roan talks to NPC in Liligue City
- Fixed delayed from occurring at the end of moves/magic that play videos
- Fixed ground clipping on Millenia's Fallen Wings move

Misc
- Added Version Number to Main Launcher Window

This is new thread worthy.

Falk

that puzzling face
Done. I hope you're happy, I had to interrupt my Grandia II

(Which was playing in the background out of focus yay)

Momentary

Banned
Glad I waited. Damn this is amazing. Gung Ho is now up there with Idea Factory International in terms of making good ports and bringing joy to their customers.
How come the big dawgs can't do it like this?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
As always, if you have more feedback, opinions, found bugs/glitches, etc and would like us to know ASAP, please feel free to PM me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah, great updates. Always loved this game and I'm glad GungHo is treating it with the love it deserves. Thanks, folks.

Ryne

I was waiting for an update like this to purchase the game, so now I will.

Reads like a great update, I will buy now.

MCD

My game keeps rotating non-stop with Xbox One controller plugged in. Using Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Any known fix?

EDIT:

WjXQdxn.jpg

Did this plus restart (i tried to do it before without restarting and my pad didn't work) and everything works correctly for my X1 controller.

FF13 and 13-2 also work under this old driver version (these two games do not work with default/new X1 controller driver).

I will PM this to Caspel.

EDIT: doing this fix break Xbox One Game Streaming as the app won't detect your controller. So while this is a fix, it's not ideal.

Tenebrous

Looking forward to giving Grandia II a bash. It'll have to sit in the backlog until I'm done with the Pillars expansion, but after that, it's time for some fun.

epmode

I'm running into an issue with my XBone controller and a constantly spinning analog camera. I see the patch notes for a temporary workaround so I'm glad you already spotted it!

zakujanai

Really impressed with the amount they sorted in that patch. Glad I purchased day one, need to get around to playing it now.

BONKERS

It's a good start. (Audio Balance, thank you)
But, looping isn't fixed. (Though it seems some are fixed maybe?)
Ryudo's sword slash during battle victory is still way too loud. It still sounds like it is clipping or something or is heavily distorted.

Is there any chance of 60FPS outside of battle? Because microstutter persists as far as I can see and the only way to fix it still is to force 1/2 refresh Vsync which nukes 60FPS battles. (EDIT: NO actually it seems to be gone now? Haven't noticed it on a second attempt. Many more attempts, Microstuttering seems to be GONE. EDIT: Whoops again here it is.)

Also encountered a new bug, when entering Carbo village for the first time, the music doesn't stop when observing the women talking.
(EDIT: 3rd attempt at this, the music stopped as it was supposed to, 4th attempt it didn't stop. 5th attempt it didn't stop again.)

The timing for event scenes is still not fixed. Elena still starts talking before she stops singing. Audio still cuts out instead of fading out.

Game is still wonky with certain resolutions and 4:3 resolutions. It doesn't like un-perfect 16:9 1.7777777777777777777777777777778 resolutions. 1366x768 is 1.7786458333333333333333333333333, so the game automatically uses 1365x767 (Rounded down from 1365x767.8125) which is a perfect 16:9 instead causing the picture to be soft. Selecting 1024x768, gives me 1365x767 in game. SMH.

Game seems to now override GPU Scaling. IE: Before I could use 1360x765 (A perfect 16:9 without rounding) or 1280x720 with "No Scaling" set and the game would be mapped 1:1 pixel with empty space. Now it just seems to scale it to full screen no matter WHAT. Which is slightly annoying.

Also for those experiencing strange issues with Nvidia Cards. I wonder if using Nvidia Inspector, add the Grandia2Launcher.exe to the "Grandia 2" profile (To keep the profile alive while you do the following to test). Then delete the "Grandia2.exe" from the profile. Make a new profile and add that to it.

The game has some old optimizations and stuff from the first port. And I don't know whether GungHo is aware of these or not. And I wonder if they will make a difference

Falk

that puzzling face
Doesn't seem like there was any audio pass yet outside of the volume sliders.

-That- seems like it'd be a monumental task with a lot of QA required, preferably with the involvement of people very familiar with the original DC game.

the music doesn't stop when observing the women.

image.php

Falk

that puzzling face
Phew. Finished this playthrough. I'll probably be back to finish off cheevos at some point, but considering the progress GungHo has made with patches I think putting that off for a while and then seeing what's changed while grinding $ and killcount seems like it'd kill two birds with one stone.

I originally had quite a long post typed up reminiscing about the franchise, and why I'm obsesed over it, but it really, really read like the ramblings of a senile old man, so instead of Falk's life story as a post, let me say I'm really, really glad that this came to Steam. Problems or not, iffy launch or not, Steam seems to be a kind of rite-of-passage for old JRPGs nowadays. It's really nice knowing that you can buy a PC version, and not have to worry about console generations or mobile OS updates (lol) locking you out of your purchase, or forcing you to buy yet another version should you want to revisit in a couple of decades.

Some observations

- Hard mode starts hard, but does get easier, especially once you get the equips/skills/etc. to spam AOE moves. Literally just trek from save point to save point nuking everything. Also, there is a very clear almost-linear relationship between how hard you can make a boss vs how many targets there are in the encounter. Eye of Valmar was by far the trickiest just because you had to juggle so much. I'm thinking a true "Hard Mode" could have put adds into the later encounters instead of buffing the boss's stats. but maybe that's out of the scope of the port, or too much of a deviation from the original. Oh well. I definitely enjoyed Hard Mode much more than the original game.

- Cheevos, cheevos, cheevos. Generally well thought out. However, initially I thought "Wow, this is FREAKIN GRANDIA II, I won't have any issues grinding out the grindy achievements because COMBAT SYSTEEEEM!!!". The reality of it, though, is combat near end-game and post-game, as noted above, devolves into queueing up AOEs, then waiting through the unskippable FMV/animations and then collecting loot. This bypasses a lot of what makes the Grandia combat system so good, and thus turns it into a mindless grind. Mind you, the numbers involved are very lenient compared to many/most other JRPG trophies, but it wasn't the "oh my God I'm going to be forced to play Grandia!@!@!!!" bed of roses I had in my head hahahah. Other than those two (250k $$, 2k kills) the achievements were fun.

- Remaining issues - Don't get me wrong. This is a functional version of the game, and 60fps battles are a complete joy to play, but BONKERS is right. There's quite a lot more housekeeping to be done if this is to be THE ultimate definitive version of Grandia II. I've got a bug list that I'm PMing Caspel, but in broad strokes, there's still quite a few problems especially on the audio side (which, due to my field of expertise, I have a hard time giving a pass, heh), miscellaneous clipping/disappearing polygons, many, many typos that start cropping up the closer to the end of the game we get ("You're"/"your", "thier", "think" instead of "thing", etc) and skill names being flat out wrong in what they do in the localization. The inner manchild in me still really wants widescreen support and full 60fps, but that's not particularly necessary in the grand scheme of things.

- JRPG story? JRPG story! I think Grandia 1/2's stories have held up really well in the intervening time, and this playthrough reinforced that notion. A lot of it comes back to the game and writing being able to just not take itself seriously all the time. There were, of course, a fair share of silliness like
Zera's schtick getting old midway through his 3rd or 4th monologue
Millenia just... coming out of Elena because plot immunity
and
ELENA SPROUTING WINGS AT THE END BECAUSE MAGIC AND THEN THE THREE OF THEM FLYING AWAY WITH RYUDO SHOOTING SPARKS FROM HIS LEGS LIKE VOLTRON PFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
and
Aira suddenly being alive again because happy ending yaaay
but eh, it's not dealbreaking. I've wanted to skip Borderlands 2 cutscenes way more than in this playthrough, and Borderlands 2 is a game that's actually trying to be funny.

All in all, great (continuing) effort by GungHo and SkyBox. Whatever other ports, you put in on Steam, I'm
disclaimer: probably
going to buy it.

lwIdAfD.jpg

*salut* Rest in peace. :(

Kirye

Alright, this is beginning to bother me. Very slight spoilers about an in game skill.

I recently got Sky Dragon Slash but for some reason the quote isn't exactly as I remember it. I SWEAR I remember it being:

Sworn enemies, take that! Sky Dragon Slash! You shall be defeated!

but instead here it's:

Sworn enemies, you shall be defeated. Take that! Sky Dragon Slash!

Am I misremembering it or was the quote changed? Obviously a very minor pointless thing, but it's bothering me!

Falk

that puzzling face
In the DC version, he says the latter. In the PS2 version, for whatever reason, he says what you're remembering.

Don't ask me, I don't know either.

That's within the realm of a fairly simple mod - the original PC version has almost all of the sound effects exposed as files. They're a different format and there's a slightly inconsistent naming scheme between the two, so a bulk replace of sound effects is difficult.

But just individual files are easy to replace - somebody mentioned that there's a similar thing with Tenseiken slash

Top Bottom