• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

aravuus

Game's pretty fun and looks amazing, just... 30 fps doesn't feel very good.

I suppose it's something you'd get used to, though. So I think I might get GR Remastered sometime soon. I know this thread is about the demo, but is GR generally considered to have a good story, or is all the praise mainly because of the unique gameplay?

e: oh goddamn it lol, the demo resets if you idle for a couple of minutes

Grisby

Yeah, I imagine 30 fps is gonna feel a bit weird after Remastered. Is GR getting pro support in the future?
Not a healthy one at least. Ever see Black Mirror?
I NEED TO. Everyone keeps talking about it.

Still need to see Stranger Things as well.

I'll be playing this in about an hour when my kids have gone to bed. So excited to get the chance to try this before its launch next month. Probably my joint most wanted game of the moment with Horizon.

Binned the objectives and spent half an hour flinging myself around as stylishly as possible, just as fun as ever, catching yourself when your just about to hit the floor never gets old.

renzolama

It's kind of irritating that the same controls tutorials appear just after the game explicitly tells the player that controls tutorials won't appear in experienced mode. I just picked experienced mode, and now you have to show me dialogs explaining how to move the camera with the right analog stick? It seems to continue on from there, with every single tutorial dialog still showing up. What's going on here?

convo

The gravity fling with stasis with Circle is soooo much better now. Shit gets magnetized to you from far away and isn't broken as soon as you get close to another surface.

The 30 FPS didn't feel weird to me despite having just played the Remaster yesterday.

I think mentally, just seeing the huge graphical improvement across the board offset it for me.

Aside from the performance issues (old demo and all), I'm super hyped for the game now. Even the basic tasks of chasing around a thief fits far better narratively and in terms of game design then GR1.

And man, it's nice to be able to walk around and see just so much happening at the ground level.

The demo was ok.

Frame rate's pretty rough. I don't think the excellent NieR demo helped either. Not really that impressed with the exploration, and combat,

I'll stick with just RE7 in January.

30 fps was a huge bummer for me after GRR. :( Otherwise it looked great. If they somehow manage to add a 60 fps mode on Pro, that would push me to upgrade. I might actually have to wait for more information on that before getting the game.

bombshell

It's kind of irritating that the same controls tutorials appear just after the game explicitly tells the player that controls tutorials won't appear in experienced mode. I just picked experienced mode, and now you have to show me dialogs explaining how to move the camera with the right analog stick? It seems to continue on from there, with every single tutorial dialog still showing up. What's going on here?

Yeah, that was weird to me as well. Experienced course doesn't take you through the gull chase though and have more mission content than beginner later on in the demo.

The demo was ok.

Frame rate's pretty rough. I don't think the excellent NieR demo helped either. Not really that impressed with the exploration, and combat,

I'll stick with just RE7 in January.

Funny thing i thought the exact opposite i thought Niers demo was just ok while this demo was real good

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hrmm...unlike a lot of GAF I always found Gravity Rush just ok at best. The combat was always kind of irritating and never enjoyable, and here it is back practically unchanged in any way. Possible that the full game adds some new wrinkles but the demo didn't showcase any of it. Throwing objects is a bit better at least than in the first, but a game about zooming across the skies and dealing with floating threats deserves better than homing rocket kicks. Was hoping for an overhaul. Hell, the demo even begs you to just hit the 'auto-win' triangle button attack during the biggest fight at the end which left me feeling very unsatisfied.

Floating around is still fine though. Adjusting gravity and shifting directions is still the same mid-air pause/aim/resume approach with light aftertouch that was in the first. Again, was hoping the shift to PS4 would also preclude a bit of a redesign for a more visceral scheme, but it works. Just never really left me feeling giddy with glee.

Still has the same gorgeous art and comic panel transitions(for those that mostly just love that about GR), and walking about the island among NPC's is largely much more impressive visually than the first. Framerate and camera panning can be sluggish and offputting at first but I conditioned by the end of the very short demo. Possible this build isn't fully optimized yet, but it looks sharp, just not as impressive looking a leap over the remaster as I expected.

cyress8

Banned
Downloading now.

The only thing I know about this series is the woman's name is Kat and she has gravity powers. Feels nice going in blind on a game for once. I feel like I have played every game under the sun.

Sophia

Demo's really fun. Framerate isn't the best tho. If you pick the Beginner Course to start with, make sure to replay it; the Expert Course has different content, including a second boss battle.

Also, uhh... I think I broke it. Got stuck in the wall during aforementioned second boss battle. XD

c0tmx0kuaael8tf4ckvz.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Demo's really fun. Framerate isn't the best tho. If you pick the Beginner Course to start with, make sure to replay it; the Expert Course has different content, including a second boss battle.
XD

Interesting. I will go back and give the Expert course a try then. Assumed it was the same as Beginner but with enemy stats adjusted.

Rojiraan

Just finished the demo then did a bit of exploration.

Really nice to meet Kat again. It's so fun to explore the Gravity Rush environment on a big screen with more details.

Just 3 things to say :
- I don't really like the "in town camera", it feels too near to the ground and to Kat in general.
- Really love the L2 drift ! Just, again, I think the camera is problematic (and maybe the controls are a bit too sensitive).
- The music loop is clearly audible. Hope this will not stay like this in final version :D

This is definitively the 2016 Demo Day.

Sophia

Interesting. I will go back and give the Expert course a try then. Assumed it was the same as Beginner but with enemy stats adjusted.

Nope. After you defeat the Nevi around the crates, it goes off into a completely new direction and lets you try out different stances, fight soldiers, meet up with Raven, and fight a second, different boss.

Xliskin

Shame. I liked the Vita feature from the first game in first person view mode where you point your Vita to the top and see the sky and to the bottom and see the ground etc like when using VR. Sadly this feature isn't possible with Dualshock 4 since it doesn't have a screen.

You can still do this in the remaster if I remember correctly

Two seconds into the (actual) game and you can see how it paid off to be a PS4 exclusive. Game looks amazing, from the wind blowing her clothes to using gravity stasis in the middle of a bunch of stuff to make your own Katamari.

Controls are still just as wild as the first game though. Not that I expected any different, I wouldn't even know how to improve them. But whoever was bothered with them before won't be changing their mind.

And Kohei Tanaka is still a god.

I know right ? controlling the gravity is insane idea IMO I don't know how they come up with it in first place

I guess the camera takes some getting used to but besides that I enjoyed the demo, just wish it was longer.

while you floating in the air press L1 the camera will try readjust itself automatically and press R1

george_us

Is anyone actually able to play? I've downloaded the demo three times now and each time it keeps saying the application data is corrupt and throws me error CE-34878-0.

Pejo

Gold Member
This and Nier Automata demo coming out back to back...can one man be so happy? Is it possible?

It is! Praise lord Kat!

Yea this is nuts, I still have so many games to play from the last half of 2016, and it looks like they'll have to continue to wait since I have to play these demos.

Still really excited.

Fbh

Just played it.
As someone who really liked the original:

- This looks soooooooo good. The first one already had great art direction but now that it can rely on more powerful hardware it simply looks amazing.

- Framerate didn't bother me. I played it literally seconds after finishing the Nier demo (60fps) and honestly didn't find it to feel choppy (which generally happens when going to a 30fps right after a 60fps game).

- Gameplay so far feels pretty much like the first one. Moving around is still as fun as ever and I still find the combat simple but enjoyable.

- I love that they kept the comic/manga inspired cutscenes. It gives the scenes and characters way more personality

This has sold me on the game.
Already liked the first one and this seems to be pretty muh what I wanted. More of the same but bigger and better looking. And I'm sure there will be several new games mechanics. If they improved on the sidequests and tell a more complete story than the first one I can already see this becomming one of my favorite games from next year

Just played it.
As someone who really liked the original:

- This looks soooooooo good. The first one already had great art direction but now that it can rely on more powerful hardware it simply looks amazing.

- Framerate didn't bother me. I played it literally seconds after finishing the Nier demo (60fps) and honestly didn't find it to feel choppy (which generally happens when going to a 30fps right after a 60fps game).

- Gameplay so far feels pretty much like the first one. Moving around is still as fun as ever and I still find the combat simple but enjoyable.

- I love that they kept the comic/manga inspired cutscenes. It gives the scenes and characters way more personality

This has sold me on the game.
Already liked the first one and this seems to be pretty muh what I wanted. More of the same but bigger and better looking. And I'm sure there will be several new games mechanics
Did you play around with the Lunar and Jupiter styles?

Good demo. Make sure you play the enchanced part too. You get to play more of the combat and extra bits.

Looking forward to the full release. Looks nice and the music is stellar.

Menitta

Wow that's a short ass demo. It seems to be a lot of the same as Gravity Rush 1, but with prettier graphics. Like it's good but...it's just more of GR1.

Xater

They improved on the garbage combat from the first game, but it still isn't where it needs to be. Something about the performance in the market also seemed fishy. Overall it was ok, but it didn't convince that I should get this after disliking the first.

Grim-Reality

Neo Member
Playing it now. I take back my length complaint but I stand by what I said on it being more GR1. I'm gonna get it but I was hoping for more differences than just the styles.

Well remember it's just a demo. We don't know how different the styles and everything else will get once we start getting into upgrades etc.

Menitta

Well remember it's just a demo. We don't know how different the styles and everything else will get once we start getting into upgrades etc.

Of course, but these are the impressions I'm getting from the demo. I'm gonna get the game regardless. While I was coming off as disappointed, more of Gravity Rush is not a bad thing.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Gravity Rush has the best feeling flight of any game that i've ever played - so much so that one of the only ways i've been able to describe it to people is dreamlike.

I'll be in on 2 so hard. That's so Raven special edition pleasethx.

Coda

Enjoyed the demo somewhat but coming off the fantastic Nier Automata demo, it felt like a lesser experience in terms of the combat and action.

The 30 fps mixed with the all over the place camera kind of was nauseating after a while.

Top Bottom