• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

Ferr986

The first game remains one of my favorite open-world superpower titles, and it reviewed similarly. That's a very good sign, considering expectations at this point in the generation for a full console title. I never checked out the demo, but I still can't wait until I have a block of time for this.

Edit: I'm hoping people are off-base with their accounts of the overboard sexualization. Mimicking magical girl transformations alone isn't terrible, but I may need more info. One thing I appreciated in the first game was how they managed the characters without being gross about it.

Just to be clear, I didn't complain about the transformation (I know how magical girls work), or the outfit, but the need to have a shot focusing solely on her breasts.

It's more of a "that was unnecesary" that "OMG SEXUALIZATION". Not a big deal, and saying this was so sexualized is wrong but there's also no need also to overreact for Lime's post IMO.

Btw, I agree Kat was managed well in the first game and hope it continues (and I'm sure it will).

Tbf I honestly don't see how anyone would like to sexualize Kat, she's just FUN the character!

Toyama also says he is working on another title right after GR2.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/818831611277950978

An horror game starring Kat.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I don't want to piss on everyone's parade in this thread (great reviews!), I just noticed that this lingering shot is the exact reason why I feel like I am not the developer's target audience and also why imo the series won't ever reach mass appeal with the occassional pandering camera and outfits.

giphy.gif

I'm glad the game is receiving positive reactions and I love the environmental art and music (and female protagonist!), it's just too bad with the eye-rolling gratuitous titillation. Why is it necessary? Or is it basically just an essential part of the identity of the series to design this stuff for a presumed straight dude audience?

Anyway, just my feelings on the matter and why this sequel in some ways disappoint me.

First game had four costumed sequences that were no different. Never felt any of it was titillating, Kat rarely actually does sultry poses for the purpose of stimulating the player's libido and I do think you are mistaking a closeup of her bust as such. In context, the sequences are very playful and are meant to highlight the fashion more so than what you are insinuating.

Wow great scores. Demo already sold me though, but nice to know it's will liked. I'll pick it up when I beat some games in my backlog.

I liked the first game but couldnt beat it. Never could come to grips with the camera, and it gets a bit disorienting when the action really starts going. It didnt seem that these issues were addressed at all going by the demo....not sure about this one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I liked the first game but couldnt beat it. Never could come to grips with the camera, and it gets a bit disorienting when the action really starts going. It didnt seem that these issues were addressed at all going by the demo....not sure about this one.

I had this issue on the Vita, but playing the remaster on PS4 I've had a lot better time. There are still times I get turned upside-down and can't tell where I am, but far less of them.

No.
It's more than okay.
Excellent in fact!

Seriously though, just okay would be a 7 to 7.5 on Metacritic, if you judge a game purely by it's score which is daft anyway. Also, most games these days don't get as many 9's this game has garnered.

I consider OK 6 - 6.9.

If I rate a game a 5, it's average, that way I can use the whole 1 - 10 scale. Lots of good/great games score 7+ IMO.

Good to see the open world and the narrative being praised. The camera and mission design seem to be the biggest complaints.

Anyone know when the Yakuza embargo is? Still not sure which of the two to get.

Yakuza embargo on reviews is the 19th, but expect to see a bunch of previews on the 11th.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't want to piss on everyone's parade in this thread (great reviews!), I just noticed that this lingering shot is the exact reason why I feel like I am not the developer's target audience and also why imo the series won't ever reach mass appeal with the occassional pandering camera and outfits.

giphy.gif

I'm glad the game is receiving positive reactions and I love the environmental art and music (and female protagonist!), it's just too bad with the eye-rolling gratuitous titillation. Why is it necessary? Or is it basically just an essential part of the identity of the series to design this stuff for a presumed straight dude audience?

Anyway, just my feelings on the matter and why this sequel in some ways disappoint me.

While it is unfortunate, it's also just 2 seconds of a 20 hour game.

Fireblend

Banned
I'll admit at some point I've been desensitized to that sort of pandering scenes - to me that gif looks tame even for a magical girl transformation, and it personally doesn't really appeal to me in a sexual way; it just looks whimsical and in line with the nature of the GR world. On the other hand I think Kat's a super strong, charming, positive character in a game that's every bit as whimsical and cheerful as her, and despite loving the music, gameplay and graphics, that charm is just as much of a reason for me to get the game. It honestly reminds me more of Ghibli stuff or Little Witch Academia than your typical sexualized anime character. I'll admit it wouldn't lose it lose its charm if it didn't do that chest zoom or the clothes were less revealing, but again, it doesn't fall out of line with my expectations. It's a shame devs aren't more conscious of how these scenes could be misunderstood, I can agree with that.

Was picking this up regardless of reviews, but good to see this amazing game shown some love. I think a demo is up for anyone interesting, fantastic little under the radar gem here that was born on Vita.

Brandon F

I had this issue on the Vita, but playing the remaster on PS4 I've had a lot better time. There are still times I get turned upside-down and can't tell where I am, but far less of them.

Same. Gave up on the Vita game early in, but platinumed on PS4.

I will say, some of the most frustrating controller-throwing moments I have had in years stem from Kat whiffing a homing kick and zooming far past an enemy, or when an offscreen bullet forces me to drop a water-tower desperately needed to put out a fire in a timely fashion. I raged a few times at those rare moments.

I like that the guy/girl just came in here and derailed the thread while saying they didn't mean to and just never came back.

Cool. Thanks.

BigEmil

Wtf Sony. Ruined the game for me :/
Lol like all your posts are 'wtf Sony' and the sorts but Nintendo can do no wrong kinda shitposting
While it is unfortunate, it's also just 2 seconds of a 20 hour game.
Is the 20 hours just Story missions or also including every single side quest? I'm gonna go for platinum trophy on this plus taking my time enjoying the game exploring around can see myself getting many many hours of this game like did with the first

Ricker

I am glad its getting good reviews...I mentionned a few times that even though I like the character,the world and colorful graphics and all,I couldnt finish the first one,and it kind of pisses me off...this part in the review from Polygon explains well why...

''It was dizzying work to find new directions to fall in. Keeping yourself oriented as Kat zips through the sky and the definitions of up and down are constantly changing can be very difficult, especially at first. In my first evening with the game, I had to take frequent breaks just because my head was spinning. I adapted eventually, but people prone to game-related motion sickness could be very easily overwhelmed by the constantly changing camera perspectives.''

But hey,maybe I will give it another shot.

I'm thinking about playing through the fist one before I grab this. How long does it take to get through it? Should I just jump into the second one?

Zukkoyaki

Assuming that the controls are similar to the first game, anyone struggling with the camera being jumpy and making them feel sick I'd advise turning off the motion control and strictly using the analog sticks. It did the trick for me!

Brandon F

I'm thinking about playing through the fist one before I grab this. How long does it take to get through it? Should I just jump into the second one?

Took me about 20-25 hours to platinum the first game(doing all sidequests, DLC missions, and challenges). You can easily beat it in half that time if sticking to the story though.

Hanmik

Lol like all your posts are 'wtf Sony' and the sorts but Nintendo can do no wrong kinda shitposting

Is the 20 hours just Story missions or also including every single side quest? I'm gonna go for platinum trophy on this plus taking my time enjoying the game exploring around can see myself getting many many hours of this game like did with the first

15-20 hours for the story missions
30-40 for sidemissions
+ more if you like the online parts.

20 - 25 hours if I remember correctly.
It'll be ~10 hours if you just do the main story.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=34079

I would recommend playing the first one so you can have context in GR2. It isn't a direct sequel in that it closely follows where the first one left off but there will be stuff that goes over your head if you haven't played the first one.

giphy.gif

This doesn't look any more gratuitous than the things you typically see in magical girl anime IMO. The first game had some worse scenes that I hope they don't double down on.

20 - 25 hours if I remember correctly.

Assuming that the controls are similar to the first game, anyone struggling with the camera being jumpy and making them feel sick I'd advise turning off the motion control and strictly using the analog sticks. It did the trick for me!

It'll be ~10 hours if you just do the main story.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=34079

I would recommend playing the first one so you can have context in GR2. It isn't a direct sequel in that it closely follows where the first one left off but there will be stuff that goes over your head if you haven't played the first one.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely play through it then!

Ferr986

''It was dizzying work to find new directions to fall in. Keeping yourself oriented as Kat zips through the sky and the definitions of up and down are constantly changing can be very difficult, especially at first.

Yeah I remember my first hours with GR Remastered being rough, I didn't know wtf I was doing or where I was going. But honestly, it was more of an hilarious experience rather than frustrating to me.

pswii60

giphy.gif

I agree wholeheartedly with your points, but sadly this is still the culture we live in. I also cringe when I watch movies like Fast & Furious series, or TV shows like Lethal Weapon, where the camera lingers just that little bit too long on bikini-clad ladies' bottoms.

I don't think it gets much worse than the aphrodite mini game in God of War 3 though. You definitely don't want to be caught playing that :eek:

muteki

First game certainly wasn't for everyone but really resonated with me. Art is just gorgeous. I am just a couple more missions away from going through the remaster again, just in time for the sequel. Also really looking forward to the Raven DLC later.

DunpealD

Is the crazy pop-in from the demos gone?

It's not completely gone, but haven't noticed any crazy pop-in. Exception of one time where the game wasn't able to load textures on time, but i was also blazing around with Jupiter Style landing on a dense location.

In terms of boob and pantyshots, I noticed nothing. Not interested in combing the whole game for things like that. Even if I manage to see that I would just forget about it, just like that fake Kali Angel shot from a side mission.

It's not completely gone, but haven't noticed any crazy pop-in. Exception of one time where the game wasn't able to load textures on time, but i was also blazing around with Jupiter Style landing on a dense location.

In terms of boob and pantyshots, I noticed nothing. Not interested in combing the whole game for things like that. Even if I manage to see that I would just forget about it, just like that fake Kali Angel shot from a side mission.
You're playing it?!

I played the first on the Vita as well but the demo on the PS4 didnt seem a whole lot better to me in that regard.

The game is damn good looking though and Im glad puts out these quirky games but I just dunno if i could handle that camera for a full game.

Hanmik

maybe I am just old.. but I saw many scenes with unnecessary boob/panty shots.. in the cutscenes, the camera panning and in the cartoons.. it doesn't bother me much, but hey I am old, and my wife looked at the screen sometimes and wondered what the fuck I was playing/watching.. ;o)

I've been vaguely interested in these games, so after seeing these scores I'd like to try the first game. I'd want it on disc, not digital... What the hell is going on with that game's price for PS4? I feel like I saw it on Amazon a month ago for $25... now its $190 on ebay? That can't be right, can it?

mollipen

Oh! She talked about that!

*Goes to read...

Her name really IS Molli?!

Well, Mollie, yes. :D

And the complaints about Kali Angel are weird to me, but they do come from people who don't have the context of having played the game. Not trying to spoil anything, but she's supposed to feel like an "outside" element to the world.

I've been vaguely interested in these games, so after seeing these scores I'd like to try the first game. I'd want it on disc, not digital... What the hell is going on with that game's price for PS4? I feel like I saw it on Amazon a month ago for $25... now its $190 on ebay? That can't be right, can it?
The remaster is Amazon exclusive (they weren't even going to release a physical copy initially) and they ran out of copies.

Top Bottom