• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

Elandyll

Banned
At first I was like it's ok but then stupid camera focusing on her tits. Like, why?

It feels really dissonant because the first game wasn't really pandering (other than the stupid shower scene). Sometimes it evens feels more like a "girly" game, so I don't get it.

Still i'm not gonna judge the whole game for that, I assume this is gonna be a really minor thing in the game (or atleast want to think). Things like this are a given with any game with even a minor Anime influence.
Have you played the first game?

It seemed to me that Kat was always portrayed as a fiesty young woman, good hearted but also relatively vain who is very much into her looks and trying various outfits. My guess is that the shot is about her feeling sexy/ good looking in a new outfit, and does not seem pervert-ish in the least to me (no over exposed or over sized breasts, no panty shot, etc.).
I don't think it was done for fapping audiences, but just to match her "Kat-like" character imo.

Noice. Still getting this game. I like anime so this will be great! Ending better be good though.

Has mollipen's review been posted on GAF yet? I wanna read that one too.

Also I believe it took 8 pages before the fanservice dislike appeared. New record I think.

At first I was like it's ok but then stupid camera focusing on her tits. Like, why?

It feels really dissonant because the first game wasn't really pandering (other than the stupid shower scene). Sometimes it evens feels more like a "girly" game, so I don't get it.

Still i'm not gonna judge the whole game for that, I assume this is gonna be a really minor thing in the game (or atleast want to think). Things like this are a given with any game with even a minor Anime influence.

So who's to say this isn't true for the second game? Except swap shower scene for 1 second of a particular transformation scene?

Noice. Still getting this game. I like anime so this will be great! Ending better be good though.

Has mollipen's review been posted on GAF yet? I wanna read that one too.

Also I believe it took 8 pages before the fanservice dislike appeared. New record I think.
I think her review is already up

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just Platinumed the first game and while I enjoyed it enough to do so, I really hoped for significant creative jumps in the sequel with the hardware change. Watching some video reviews and it looks practically identical to what I just played.

Ferr986

Have you played the first game?

It seemed to me that Kat was always portrayed as a fiesty young woman, good hearted but also relatively vain who is very much into her looks and trying various outfits. My guess is that the shot is about her feeling sexy/ good looking in a new outfit, and does not seem pervert-ish in the least to me (no over exposed or over sized breasts, no panty shot, etc.).
I don't think it was done for fapping audiences, but just to match her "Kat-like" character imo.

I agree. I was just commenting on the unnecesary shot focused on her tits, not on her trying different outfits and them being more or less sexy.

So who's to say this isn't true for the second game? Except swap shower scene for 1 second of a particular transformation scene?

That's why i said I was not judging the game for a 5 sec scene and I expect this to be a really minor thing.

Seriously, I'm not attacking the game, I love GR and Kat as a character.

That's why i said I was not judging the game for a 5 sec scene and I expect this to be a really minor thing.

I actually re-read your post and tried to edit to not be accusatory... But I have a glitch on Neogaf where if I edit a post with Internet Explorer 11 the save button doesn't appear sometimes. :p

ironmang

Not sure how I feel about this 30 hour playtime. I think I started getting bored of GR1 by the end. Impressions sounding good enough that I may pick this up, try to beat it, and trade it in before RE7 comes out.

Ferr986

I actually re-read your post and tried to edit to not be accusatory... But I have a glitch on Neogaf where if I edit a post with Internet Explorer 11 the save button doesn't appear sometimes. :p

It's ok :)

I hope it didn't feel like it was a big deal because it isn't, just a minor nitpick to me, but I'm gonna be there day 1 (have it preordered and watched the anime a couple of days ago!).

Sonicbug

I don't want to piss on everyone's parade in this thread (great reviews!), I just noticed that this lingering shot is the exact reason why I feel like I am not the developer's target audience and also why imo the series won't ever reach mass appeal with the occassional pandering camera and outfits.

giphy.gif

I'm glad the game is receiving positive reactions and I love the environmental art and music (and female protagonist!), it's just too bad with the eye-rolling gratuitous titillation. Why is it necessary? Or is it basically just an essential part of the identity of the series to design this stuff for a presumed straight dude audience?

This is just a magical girl transformation sequence, or it's supposed to be evocative of one. The sparkles give it away.

I don't want to piss on everyone's parade in this thread (great reviews!), I just noticed that this lingering shot is the exact reason why I feel like I am not the developer's target audience and also why imo the series won't ever reach mass appeal with the occassional pandering camera and outfits.

I'm glad the game is receiving positive reactions and I love the environmental art and music (and female protagonist!), it's just too bad with the eye-rolling gratuitous titillation. Why is it necessary? Or is it basically just an essential part of the identity of the series to design this stuff for a presumed straight dude audience?

Anyway, just my feelings on the matter and why this sequel in some ways disappoint me.

Ehhh, that's one silly side-quest. It's really not as bad as you're making out. Kat is also a much more rounded character than that GIF suggests.

I'm not saying it's perfect because it isn't, but I don't think this is the game to get worked up over this kind of thing.

Jacknapes

Normally, i'd jump right onto Gravity Rush 2. But i have a bit of a backlog i'm determined to clear a bit off before purchase. It's on my list to play.

LifEndz

Nice scores. A 7.5 from Polygon is like a 9 from other sites
I kid....but not really

Might pick this up.

matmanx1

Looks like we have a pretty solid list of good reviews to accompany Kat's new game. I'm almost finished with the first one (Chapter 18, if I remember right) and my opinion of Gravity Rush 1 has only improved as I have gotten deeper in to it. I am looking forward to seeing GR2 and hope it has much success!

komorebi

Some people are sick of pandering shots of women. Is that so difficult to understand?

So...you assume I'm incapable of understanding that? I was simply telling the resident soapboxer to lighten up. If he/she really wants to bitch, make a separate concern/outrage thread about one gif taken out of context from a huge open world game, a sequel to one of the most imaginative and fun GAMEPLAY experiences ever.

But nah, lets ruin the review thread and overshadow a next gen version of GRAVITY RUSH(!) because person X feels game is targeted towards "straight dudes" because of a single gif.

Fucking hell I feel like I'm on a small island named Sanity.

Soriku

giphy.gif

Anyway, just my feelings on the matter and why this sequel in some ways disappoint me.

Dear lord no not cleavage!

black070

giphy.gif

Preorder cancelled.

Vinc

I was on the fence with this one, I liked the first one but wasn't in love with it. These nice and early reviews have solidified my purchase, can't wait to try this out! Should be a nice counterbalance to REVII

Gestault

The first game remains one of my favorite open-world superpower titles, and it reviewed similarly. That's a very good sign, considering expectations at this point in the generation for a full console title. I never checked out the demo, but I still can't wait until I have a block of time for this.

Edit: I'm hoping people are off-base with their accounts of the overboard sexualization. Mimicking magical girl transformations alone isn't terrible, but I may need more info. One thing I appreciated in the first game was how they managed the characters without being gross about it.

Humdinger

81 on Metacritic. A bit higher than I expected (I figured 7.5 to 8.0 range). I was going to buy it even if it averaged a 3, so the scores don't matter much to me. But still, it's nice to see it keeping its head above the 8.0 mark.

Good job, dev team. Look forward to playing it soon.

Bold One

If I were on a strict one animu per year diet, I'd probably have to go for NieR Automata.

I played the demo for Nier A, it was fine, just more Platinum cookie-cutter hacky-slashy falshiness with the occasional (dare I say embarrassing) panty-shot.

Say what you will about GR, its mechanics are at least unique, plus Kat has personality

I was on the fence with this one, I liked the first one but wasn't in love with it. These nice and early reviews have solidified my purchase, can't wait to try this out! Should be a nice counterbalance to REVII

Totally. Coasting around as a magical animu cat girl will be a great way to blow off the tension of being hunted by rednecks or whatever the fuck is happening in REVII.

kennyamr

so I just preordered GR2, KH2.8, Tales of Berseria, RE7, and Yakuza 0.

man, this month... it's like Christmas expenses part 2.

StereoVsn

I think it could be troublesome to gather all these nice gifs.
I need a zip file !
Well done. Also, come on people, way to go crazy over a magical girl transformation sequence in an anime game which comprises a staggeringly tiny amount out of a fairly long game. No fun allowed?

Top Bottom