• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

ironmang

These guys really deserve the positive feedback. The game looks great and after The Last Guardian, Sony first party really needed a win (imo)

I'm not so sure this is going to be a win at least commercially. They really should have found a way to pack in GR1 much like Bayonetta 2 and Dishonored 2.

Shoeless

These guys really deserve the positive feedback. The game looks great and after The Last Guardian, Sony first party really needed a win (imo)

I'm just glad to have this feeling in my heart of "Japan is back." I always loved how whacky and lateral Japanese games and stories could be, so it's reassuring to me that games like TLG, Gravity Rush 2, the Yakuza series, Persona 5 and Nier: Automata are all in the pipeline.

I still love games like Mass Effect and Witcher as well, but it's great to see more Japanese games in my library again. There was something of a drought for a while there.

jayu26

There are games like The Last of Us Remastered and the Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection that do not downsample for 1080p screen users.

That is stupid. Fix this shit Obama Trump.

You don't know what you are doing. TLG actually reviewed better than this game.

What is this supposed to mean? The Last Guardian was well received and has a higher metacritic score than GR2 lol

Agree to disagree, many open world games imo are literally just quests, and the rest of the extras is nothing more then filler, that gets old quick. The Witcher didn;t have much in the way of hidden dungeons/settlements at all, most involved quests.

Well this is nonsense if I ever heard it. The Witcher had tonnes of hidden dungeons, settlements and quest lines that, unless you searched for them, you could easily go the whole game without finding.

Ya I clicked on the wiki to see where it was coming out Friday. Thought I read someone here mentioning it coming out on the 18th which I assumed meant NA.

To be fair, if one has Amazon Prime and lives near an Amazon Warehouse, they could get the game a day early, since they ship the game 2 days early and the proximity would shorten the shipping time.

I'm not so sure this is going to be a win at least commercially. They really should have found a way to pack in GR1 much like Bayonetta 2 and Dishonored 2.
It might be a slow burn or asia/europe will pick up the slack. I mean there has to be reason why grr was on ps plus asia

LotusHD

Banned
This has been a recent trend. It's actually smart considering you get the entire weekend to play it if you buy it on release.

So tempted to buy this after reading these reviews. I wonder how much you will miss if you haven't finished GR1. Plus that week is already crowded with Yakuza 0 and KH 2.8, my wallet is going to get hammered lol.

You could always watch/skim through a full walkthrough. I probably will do that myself, it's been a minute since I last played.

You can blaze through the first one quite fast if you ignore the sidequest and upgrades

Also this.

Oh man, that would've been great. I really messed myself by not holding onto the Remastered copy, seeing as how it had a limited amount of physical copies.

I'm just glad to have this feeling in my heart of "Japan is back." I always loved how whacky and lateral Japanese games and stories could be, so it's reassuring to me that games like TLG, Gravity Rush 2, the Yakuza series, Persona 5 and Nier: Automata are all in the pipeline.

I still love games like Mass Effect and Witcher as well, but it's great to see more Japanese games in my library again. There was something of a drought for a while there.

I hear ya. The settings and stuff that you can expect from Japanese games always have me so interested nowadays lol

Here's to hoping Nier gets excellent reviews as well.

KooopaKid

Banned
Reviewing much better than I expected given key gameplay flaws remain unchanged.

From Jim Sterling:
"Since it follows Gravity Rush‘s blueprint so closely, any complaints one might have had about the original game can be leveled at its sequel in totality. Unfortunately nothing’s been done to really improve the fundamental gameplay between installments. This means that certain fights are still infuriating as Kat’s unwieldy attacks fail to land, and the overall premise of gravity shifting remains wasted on fairly mundane mission objectives.

Quests are relatively formulaic and side missions in particular can grow repetitive before too long. For a series about commanding gravity itself, Gravity Rush is still a series about inconsequential racing, memory games, and triangulation exercises. There’s just not much imagination or variety in the missions available, which is extra disappointing when you consider just how much potential Kat’s abilities have."

All GR1 fans should be pleased, at least. Enjoy.

My impressions as well. Shame as this series should be exactly my cup of tea. I hate generic mission objectives.

What is this supposed to mean? The Last Guardian was well received and has a higher metacritic score than GR2 lol

Well this is nonsense if I ever heard it. The Witcher had tonnes of hidden dungeons, settlements and quest lines that, unless you searched for them, you could easily go the whole game without finding.

Re-read waht I said, and no there were not many dungeons in witcher at all, nothing like skyrim for instance, and most were very small and tied to quests.

You could always watch/skim through a full walkthrough. I probably will do that myself, it's been a minute since I last played.
If anyone's interested, I could upload the screenshots I took of all (or most at least) of the story sections of the game, mostly the comic book parts.

void666

Banned
Pre-ordered. I was expecting more fleshed out side missions. But more of the same with better visuals is good enough.

maouvin

If anyone's interested, I could upload the screenshots I took of all (or most at least) of the story sections of the game, mostly the comic book parts.

Do you happen to have the scenes with the travelers/mysterious couple? Didn't have the time to find them all again on the remaster and forgot what they said.

(Or if someone has the text for those, it would suffice)

Just wait. The games price will most likely be cut in half after a couple of months.

They're both worthy causes, though to be fair, it looks like Platinum needs the financial help right now far more than a Sony in-house studio does.

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. Though do we know what physical distribution is going to look like for GR2? I don't recall the remaster being impossible to find, but I don't think I ever saw it in a local brick & mortar either. I remember the price fluctuating pretty wildly a bit during the summer last year too.

Shoeless

I'm so glad I don't have to make that decision. Happy to support em both

I'm making my choices based on my time budget. I could buy all the games I wanted, but that would mean adding to the back log. So for me, I made the choice in January to let Resident Evil 7 fall by the wayside. I'm really looking forward to that game, especially since I do have PS VR, but Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 will take a LOT of time to play through, and financially, I don't think Capcom has too much to worry about, they'll be fine with one less sale from me.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm making my choices based on my time budget. I could buy all the games I wanted, but that would mean adding to the back log. So for me, I made the choice in January to let Resident Evil 7 fall by the wayside. I'm really looking forward to that game, especially since I do have PS VR, but Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 will take a LOT of time to play through, and financially, I don't think Capcom has too much to worry about, they'll be fine with one less sale from me.

True. For me, it just happened to work out perfectly. Only interested in GR2 fo January. Nothing going on in February unless Horizon is super impressive, and March is Zelda and Nier. Oh, and Persona for April.

Shoeless

True. For me, it just happened to work out perfectly. Only interested in GR2 fo January. Nothing going on in February unless Horizon is super impressive, and March is Zelda and Nier. Oh, and Persona for April.

This is probably one of the best first quarters in gaming for me in years.

Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 in January (Resident Evil 7 on want list) , Horizon: Zero Dawn in February (Torment: Tides of Numenera on want list), Nier; Automata, Mass Effect: Andromeda and Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey in March (Star Trek: Bridge Crew on want list), Persona 5 in April.

I've never had a first quarter like this where every month there was at least one game I was buying for sure, with at least one other being a strong buy. This generation is really hitting its stride with me. And we don't even have the release date for Yakuza: Kiwami yet. It's crazy.

I'm glad to see mostly positive reviews, but my two main hopes going in were more diverse missions and a less sterile world and it sounds like those still haven't been improved much?

Do you happen to have the scenes with the travelers/mysterious couple? Didn't have the time to find them all again on the remaster and forgot what they said.

(Or if someone has the text for those, it would suffice)
I sure do, I'll upload those as well. Imgur isn't cooperating, so it will take a bit longer.
EDIT: I'll just upload the folders on Drive, can't be bothered to sort them on Imgur.

Betty

Banned

Yeah with all the positive news about Microsoft they REALLY need a win right now.

Seriously though Last Guardian was amazing and compliments an already diverse exclusive list of games.

mollipen

Slant Magazine with a 3/10? Jeez!

giphy.gif

Griss

He also gave the lowest score to the first game(5/10)

If he disliked the first game, I'm not sure why not give the review copy to another reviewer since it's obviously not his cup of tea.

Perhaps he was expecting them to have improved the formula or core gameplay etc? That's what I wanted / expected, and not an unfair expectation for a sequel moving from a handheld to a console. Had they done so this might have been something enjoyable for him.

His criticisms read like the criticisms many people had of the first game - which makes sense - except that the story there was fun and snappy whereas here he says it struggles.

hohoXD123

He also gave the lowest score to the first game(5/10)

If he disliked the first game, I'm not sure why not give the review copy to another reviewer since it's obviously not his cup of tea.
That's not really a reason to not review a game, for all you know he could have loved the second game, that has happened with me for several series at least. Reviews aren't meant to be solely targeted at fans of the series.

You guys are not wrong, but with a score of 3 I'd expect the game to be pretty much unplayable. Which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

LotusHD

Banned
You guys are not wrong, but with a score of 3 I'd expect the game to be pretty much unplayable. Which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

Haha same, not to mention that that implies that he felt it was worse than the first one, which he also reviewed. And maybe he does feel that way, who knows, everyone has an opinion. Add it to the OT of course. I just chuckled because in every review thread when things are "going well", you'll eventually get that one review that just breaks the trend and makes you go "Why tho" lol,

I still recall that one for Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom