• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 Review Thread

Ogawa-san

That Slant review gives me hope that someday I can land a gig where I'm paid to write not reviews, just cynical criticisms about games I clearly don't like from the comfort of my home - or the nearest coffee shop.

There's nothing in there that reads it's a game below mediocre. And the closest I could find from anything positive (which even something like this has) is the word "colorful".

Does anybody know if completing the demo unlocks anything in the final game? I'm doing my best to avoid playing the demo so that I go into the game completely new but I would play through the demo if it was unlocking something.
Nah, nothing carries over.

Shoeless

Does anybody know if completing the demo unlocks anything in the final game? I'm doing my best to avoid playing the demo so that I go into the game completely new but I would play through the demo if it was unlocking something.

On the other hand, apparently if you've unlocked costumes in GR1, and you have that save present, it will unlock the costumes in GR2. I downloaded GR1 onto my Pro just so I could transfer the save from my original PS4 to make sure it's there for the save check.

Memento

I read the 3/10 review..

I know review whining is annoying, but Jesus Christ...

Honestly I dont think I have ever played a 3/10 game in my life. 3/10 is outright broken or unplayable. I really cant see how can someone spin in any capacity that a game like this is a 3/10.

HotHamBoy

raw

I thought slant was known to give low review scores?

http://www.metacritic.com/publication/slant-magazine?filter=games

For 358 reviews, this publication has graded:
25%higher than the average critic
4%same as the average critic
71%lower than the average critic
On average, this publication grades 8.6 points lower than other critics. (0-100 point scale)
Average Game review score: 65

That said, this is the first page, which seems pretty fair to me:

87 Metascore 100Critic Score
Fallout 4
If traveling through Bethesda's version of Boston for 60 hours has taught me anything, it's that the little things are what matter.
Slant MagazinePosted Nov 10, 2015Read full review

97 Metascore 100Critic Score
Grand Theft Auto V
GTA V is Rockstar's midlife crisis: hostile, extravagant, but ultimately revealing a fascinating depth of self-loathing.
Slant MagazinePosted Nov 19, 2014Read full review

97 Metascore 100Critic Score
Grand Theft Auto V
Without question, the most involving, top-to-bottom, start-to-finish, out-of-body experience ever presented in a video game.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 20, 2013Read full review

81 Metascore 100Critic Score
Tearaway Unfolded

If Tearaway were a diamond in the rough world of Vita gaming before, it's an exceedingly polished masterpiece on the PS4.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 2, 2015Read full review

80 Metascore 100Critic Score
Guitar Hero Live
Guitar Hero Live isn't just a remolding of how we think about plastic guitars, but how audiences listen to music.
Slant MagazinePosted Oct 20, 2015Read full review

86 Metascore 100Critic Score
Tales from the Borderlands: A Telltale Game Series
The story crafted here isn't just a fine Borderlands sequel, but one of the most enjoyable sci-fi adventure stories in recent memory.
Slant MagazinePosted Nov 25, 2015Read full review

83 Metascore 100Critic Score
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

The game finds by far the best use of the first-person mechanic, and, thanks to its lively and familiar cast of characters, ensures that there's never a dull moment in these dungeons.
Slant MagazinePosted Nov 22, 2014Read full review

83 Metascore 100Critic Score
DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition
The game's sense of cool distilled from gallows humor, fantastical horror, wildly imaginative nightmare landscapes, and a bloody mean streak a mile wide.
Slant MagazinePosted Mar 10, 2015Read full review

91 Metascore 90Critic Score
Bayonetta 2

The campy hypersexuality feels joyful, rather than oppressive, because the character's overdetermined gender presentation is an expression of her power rather than a contrast to it.
Slant MagazinePosted Oct 24, 2014Read full review

87 Metascore 90Critic Score
Year Walk

Year Walk's port to Steam is flawless, with the inventive iOS touch controls and beautifully artistic graphic and sound design immaculately recreated on the PC. The game takes full advantage of the extra hardware, cleverly utilizing a full surround soundscape to drench the player in the foreboding atmosphere of the haunted forest, while retaining the same striking animation, which suggests a nightmarish Edward Gorey picture book come to life.
Slant MagazinePosted Mar 18, 2014Read full review

81 Metascore 90Critic Score
QAffordable Space Adventures

It all culminates in an end-game cutscene that I wouldn't dream of spoiling, except to say that it's a seamless riff on the combination of virtual social intimacy and bland corporate indifference that is the Miiverse.
Slant MagazinePosted Apr 10, 2015Read full review

89 Metascore 90Critic Score
Battlefield 1
The player has full control of each character, but not their fate, and so the senselessness of war always sticks out.
Slant MagazinePosted Oct 19, 2016Read full review

86 Metascore 90Critic Score
Gone Home

By the end of this two-to-three-hour journey, it isn't just the house that'll seem lived-in, as the characters are equally realized and relatable.
Slant MagazinePosted Aug 17, 2013Read full review

INSIDE

Like Limbo, developer Playdead's previous title, Inside is one of the few video games that reaches the level of allegory.
Slant MagazinePosted Jul 14, 2016Read full review

81 Metascore 90Critic Score
Splatoon

The virtue of shooters has always been how a simple set of parameters create an array of interesting decisions, and the game's greatness is how it expands that matrix.
Slant MagazinePosted Jun 12, 2015Read full review

83 Metascore 90Critic Score
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Jonathan Irons may scoff at the idea of dying for what you believe in, as it doesn't make that belief true, but at least so far as this game goes, it's entertaining, and that's more than enough.
Slant MagazinePosted Nov 7, 2014Read full review

92 Metascore 90Critic Score
Bloodborne

This act of death and rebirth is the only thing Bloodborne directly teaches users, as it's the game's main hook.
Slant MagazinePosted Mar 26, 2015Read full review

88 Metascore 90Critic Score
Super Mario Maker
It's an experiment that acts as both deconstruction and overjoyed celebration of everything that is Super Mario Bros.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 29, 2015Read full review

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
If this release doesn't consume your very essence for days on end, then perhaps random-dungeon loot-hunting isn't your thing.
Slant MagazinePosted Apr 10, 2014Read full review

tbd Metascore 90Critic Score
Shutshimi
Developer Neon Deity Games' spirited rejection of video-game balance almost qualifies as avant garde.
Slant MagazinePosted Aug 27, 2015Read full review

85 Metascore 90Critic Score
The Talos Principle

As the game suggests, "Peril and paradise are inextricable," and without the tricky puzzles, there wouldn't be nearly as much satisfaction.
Slant MagazinePosted Dec 17, 2014Read full review

84 Metascore 90Critic Score
Rare Replay
Think of Rare Replay like an entire Criterion Collection for video games in one package.
Slant MagazinePosted Aug 12, 2015Read full review

68 Metascore 90Critic Score
Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure
What might have been an assembly-line, recherché plot serves as a love letter to fans, covering the vast history of the DC Universe with both respect and a sense of humor.
Slant MagazinePosted Oct 13, 2013Read full review

74 Metascore 90Critic Score
Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
The game walks a fine line between delight and despair, but there's only so much laughter to be found in slaughter.
Slant MagazinePosted Apr 16, 2015Read full review

80 Metascore 90Critic Score
Puppeteer

From its alliterative script to its dreamy visuals, the game is a wacky, whimsical homage both to classic storybook adventures and pure imagination.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 8, 2013Read full review

70 Metascore 90Critic Score
Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition
The graphics are just as impressive here as they were on the Xbox One: Witnessing literally thousands upon thousands of zombies on screen at once is breathtaking, as is charging through them with muscle cars.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 11, 2014Read full review

84 Metascore 90Critic Score
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Whether you're playing with friends at home, emulating the arcade experience online, getting intimate with the single player story, taking fighting lessons from the computer, or grinding experience, this is the entire package. It's enough to make even the game's cheesiest, oft-repeated line golden: "Bring on the ring" indeed.
Slant MagazinePosted Sep 26, 2014Read full review

80 Metascore 90Critic Score
Tom Clancy's The Division
They say that New York City never sleeps, and those who play Tom Clancy's The Division may understand the feeling.
Slant MagazinePosted Mar 15, 2016Read full review

88 Metascore 90Critic Score
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition

The original was already a classic, so where the Definitive Edition makes improvements is largely in making the challenging game more accessible to newcomers.
Slant MagazinePosted May 4, 2016Read full review

82 Metascore 90Critic Score
Watch Dogs 2
The sincere belief in a pack mentality is just one reason why Watch Dogs 2 is such an improvement over its predecessor.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That Slant score is kind of baffling, no?

I though 3/10 was reserved for downright shit/broken games.

There's always an outlier in these situations. When the general consensus is in the 6-9 or 7-10 range and you have a 2/3/4 on there. It's clearly click bait.

That Slant review gives me hope that someday I can land a gig where I'm paid to write not reviews, just cynical criticisms about games I clearly don't like from the comfort of my home - or the nearest coffee shop.

There's nothing in there that reads it's a game below mediocre. And the closest I could find from anything positive (which even something like this has) is the word "colorful".
You're off to a great start then. You may consider submitting your resume.

Can't fucking wait.

These guys really deserve the positive feedback. The game looks great and after The Last Guardian, Sony first party really needed a win (imo)

The Last Guardian was a win.

I'm just glad to have this feeling in my heart of "Japan is back." I always loved how whacky and lateral Japanese games and stories could be, so it's reassuring to me that games like TLG, Gravity Rush 2, the Yakuza series, Persona 5 and Nier: Automata are all in the pipeline.

I still love games like Mass Effect and Witcher as well, but it's great to see more Japanese games in my library again. There was something of a drought for a while there.

I hear you, and completely agree.

LordKano

Remember that there are no rules which said that 3/10 must be reserved to broken games and everyone can give the score they like as long as they can justify it.

Remember that there are no rules which said that 3/10 must be reserved to broken games and everyone can give the score they like as long as they can justify it.

Sure, but logic would suggest that if a game is considerably below average it has some serious issues with its controls or structure or content, and that doesn't seem to be the case from other reviews or the demo. On the other hand I haven't read the review and obviously haven't played the full game, so maybe he justifies his strong dislike for it adequately.

JP

Nah, nothing carries over.
Thanks, I'm happy to be able to avoid the demo. :)
On the other hand, apparently if you've unlocked costumes in GR1, and you have that save present, it will unlock the costumes in GR2. I downloaded GR1 onto my Pro just so I could transfer the save from my original PS4 to make sure it's there for the save check.
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that I've unlocked all the costumes but I'll check later. From memory I only have a few challenges to complete to get 100%. I often think that I should return to the game before I play the second to platinum it but I've never really been a fan of challenge type trophies so they just infuriate me if I do that.

Yes, if the reviewer thought the game really sucked ass nothing should keep him from giving it a really low score and he doesn't have to justify it any more than a reviewer that praises a game. This specific review though is really short and just kind of bad, the part about it being a "playable anime" especially borders on sheer idiocy. The main issue here is that Metascore is such a fucked up way of looking at art that it makes people care about stuff they could and probably should just dismiss.

jacobeid

Banned
I read the 3/10 review..

I know review whining is annoying, but Jesus Christ...

Honestly I dont think I have ever played a 3/10 game in my life. 3/10 is outright broken or unplayable. I really cant see how can someone spin in any capacity that a game like this is a 3/10.

Personal agenda. Guy has no credibility.

Shoeless

I'm pretty sure that I've unlocked all the costumes but I'll check later. From memory I only have a few challenges to complete to get 100%. I often think that I should return to the game before I play the second to platinum it but I've never really been a fan of challenge type trophies so they just infuriate me if I do that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that challenges don't play into this, so you should be fine avoiding those if it'll just invoke Gamer Rage. Just do a quick check to see if you've unlocked the costumes you want, and you should be good.

Until something better comes along, I'll probably just have Kat hurtling around in her cat burglar costume.

BigEmil

That 3/10 is super clear clickbait I hope you clicked to enable adblock if you do goto their site then disable

JP

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that challenges don't play into this, so you should be fine avoiding those if it'll just invoke Gamer Rage. Just do a quick check to see if you've unlocked the costumes you want, and you should be good.

Until something better comes along, I'll probably just have Kat hurtling around in her cat burglar costume.
Ah, I've got them all apart from the Military Costume.

I'll have a look at the Military Pack DLC later, if it's anything like the content used to unlock the other costumes then it'll be simple enough to complete.

Gravidee

What if our save is from the Asian version of GR1? Will it still register or would there be some other way of unlocking if it doesn't work?

muteki

Ah, I've got them all apart from the Military Costume.

I'll have a look at the Military Pack DLC later, if it's anything like the content used to unlock the other costumes then it'll be simple enough to complete.

Should only have to do the first Military side mission. No challenges.

And out of all the side missions, I liked those the best.

convo

I think it's in human nature to steer towards negative things (hell if you look at top 10 "insert thing" on youtube, matters regarding negative stuff will always have more views than positive stuff)

Yeah people don't tend to remember good things when they can more intensly think about bad stuff instead.

LotusHD

Banned
38 positive reviews, 5 mixed and 1 poor.

Yet people always just fixate on that 1 poor review.

Well tbh, there's not exactly much to continue talking about that hasn't been said with the reviews showing the high scores. Same thing with the ones that gave scores of 6.

Then you have the obvious outlier that gives a 3, which people typically connect to said game being utterly terrible or maybe having serious technical issues, so of course people can't help but go "Why tho" lol

Even more so since the reviewer actually gave a review for the remastered first game as well, but with a slightly higher score of 5. All of which in turn implies it's worse than the first game, and maybe he truly feels that way. But of course it then clashes with practically every other review seen so far, which at the very least form the consensus that it's better than the first one, regardless of whether or not they actually find the sequel to be an good or great game or not.

All in all, it all comes together to get people feeling like yea... this score is pretty weird, to say the least. So I don't blame people for harping on it for a little while, even if yea, people love to focus more on the negative. Reminds me of what happened with UC4.

That being said, 80 metacritic is great. There's a demo out. Bunch of gameplay footage. Several other reviews out there, both glowing and mixed. Videos detailing the game's performance. Basically the info is out there to know whether or not you want to play the game. And once it's released, many of us will certainly stop caring about reviews and such anyhow.

mollipen

Actually, you don't have to have unlocked the costumes in Gravity Rush Remastered in order to unlock them in GR2. I haven't done all of the DLC side content that came with GRR, so I don't have the catsuit unlocked in that game. However, it was instantly unlocked in GR2.

So, I think all you need is a save file of any kind—unless it's tied to something like beating the game.

No, but as someone who's been doing reviews for 20 years now, I consider a score like that unprofessional. That seriously is getting into the range of "this is a broken mess," and that is 100% not the case with Gravity Rush 2 no matter what your opinion on the gameplay is—unless your review scale is specifically a scale based on personal opinion alone and does not take technical considerations into play, and that being the case is specifically stated as such.

Also, there comes a time when you acknowledge that you have too much personal bias against a certain game, and you excuse yourself from reviewing it because you know you can't give it the judgement it deserves. Let me be clear: "judgement it deserves" doesn't mean a good review—it means a fair one.

I don't really care about that review, but let's also remember that reviews and opinions are not golden calfs to be worshipped and held above their own critique.

Just because I say "Well in my opinion, this is a 1/5," does not mean that I can then just stammer out the excuse "b-b-but that's muh opinion" when someone takes me to task for having an uninformed, biased, unsupported or plain stupid opinion.
Just saw this pop in my YouTube subs. Going to give a listen now.

I don't really care about that review, but let's also remember that reviews and opinions are not golden calfs to be worshipped and held above their own critique.

Just because I say "Well in my opinion, this is a 1/5," does not mean that I can then just stammer out the excuse "b-b-but that's muh opinion" when someone takes me to task for having an uninformed, biased, unsupported or plain stupid opinion.

Just saw this pop in my YouTube subs. Going to give a listen now.
Agreed.

Top Bottom