• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Game or Greatest Game Ever? (Game Informer Exclusive - TIM SCHAFER's new game!)

AstroLad said:
Hey . . . that is funny . . . I was in the process of quoting Gowan's message to change (URL) to (IMG) but to my surprise the message said (IMG) already . . . he changed it before I hit "quote".

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
speculawyer said:
Hey . . . that is funny . . . I was in the process of quoting Gowan's message to change (URL) to (IMG) but to my surprise the message said (IMG) already . . . he changed it before I hit "quote".

And now I stealth-edited!

Conclusion: Jack Black likes PGR. A lot.

Chiggs

This isn't going to go over well, and while I hate to judge a game before it's done (complete lie, btw), this has "hipster scum" written all over it.

I loathe Jack Black, especially his comedy-killing appearances in Mr. Show, and I'm disappointed to see Schafer working with him. That said, maybe Schafer will finally get a commercial hit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chiggs said:
This isn't going to go over well, and while I hate to judge a game before it's done (complete lie, btw), this has "hipster scum" written all over it.

I loathe Jack Black, especially his comedy-killing appearances in Mr. Show, and I'm disappointed to see Schafer working with him. That said, maybe Schafer will finally get a commercial hit.

My guess is that a lot of people feel similarly about Jack Black in general (poor Mr. Show had to survive two show-killers, him and Sarah Silverman) but I do think that he could work well in this context and he's also a pretty big gamer, so at the very least it likely won't be a mailed-in effort. Plus, Schafer.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i know i wont make friends saying this... but that there is some atrocious character designs pew!

its tim though, so i can see why you're all excited

jackblack.jpg

They did not mean (did not mean) to blow my mind (blow your mind), but that shit happens to them

ALL THE TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME!!!

Haters can go jump off a cliff. This is going to be the greatest game in the world, and the tribute to it.

EDIT:
soul creator said:
this is NOT the greatest game in the world, people

this is just a tribute
Beat me to it. Ah well, still :lol

so1337

op_ivy said:
i know i wont make friends saying this... but that there is some atrocious character designs pew!
I happen to agree, but c'mon on...it's Tim Schafner and Jack Black in one f*cking package. F*ck character designs!

In fact the premises behind this sound so awesome that the final product HAS to turn out as a disappointment.

While I'm excited about the concept, does anyone else think that art looks kinda shitty?

Like, not shitty in a good way, but just kinda shitty.

Who knows what the game actually look likes though, I'm still excited.

EDIT: just realized some people feel the same...

Enk

makes good threads.
I WANT YOUR BABIES SCHAFER!!!

*ahem*

Sorry...umm...man so awesome that Schafer gets a cover story in Game Informer. But wait? It's Guitar Hero inspired? Hmmm, maybe Schafer is mixing adventure game elements with music games? Mmmmm...a new Schafer adventure game.....yummy.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Enk said:
I WANT YOUR BABIES SCHAFER!!!

*ahem*

Sorry...umm...man so awesome that Schafer gets a cover story in Game Informer. But wait? It's Guitar Hero inspired? Hmmm, maybe Schafer is mixing adventure game elements with music games? Mmmmm...a new Schafer adventure game.....yummy.

Its not Guitar Hero inspired.

Enk

makes good threads.
Router said:
Its not Guitar Hero inspired.

Well, I guess that eases the brain a bit. Whatever the game may be, Schafer's fingerprints are on it and I have always enjoyed his witty sense of humor.

EDIT: Hey Guybrush Threepwood with the dead Guybrush avatar. Ever think about switching yours to the original Guybrush sprite? There's already two MI2 Guybrush avatars on here and it will help ease the confusion. I will quickly whip you up one if you want me to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
speculawyer said:
I'm a Jack Black fan, but I gotta say that he has not been able to do anything as close to that great character in High Fidelity.

But then again, I'm not sure it is possible to do that.
Totally agreed. Every scene that was in the record store was great because of him.

Bogus

Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen.

That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out -- the thick smell of asphalt. And the first thing I saw when I woke up was her face.

She said she had fixed my bike. Free. No strings attached. I should have known then that things are never that simple.

Yeah.

When I think of Maureen, I think of two things.

Asphalt... and trouble.

\m/

Enk said:
Well, I guess that eases the brain a bit. Whatever the game may be, Schafer's fingerprints are on it and I have always enjoyed his witty sense of humor.

EDIT: Hey Guybrush Threepwood with the dead Guybrush avatar. Ever think about switching yours to the original Guybrush sprite? There's already two MI2 Guybrush avatars on here and it will help ease the confusion. I will quickly whip you up one if you want me to.

I'll tell you what.

I'll change my avatar to some random scene from a Monkey Island game. That should end the confusion.

And thanks for the offer, but I can make it myself.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Game?

Tim Schafer took part in Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and Psychonauts.

Quite a résumé if you ask me.

Ok, thank you for the answer. The only game on that list I have played has been, Psychonauts.

Enk

makes good threads.
I'll tell you what.

I'll change my avatar to some random scene from a Monkey Island game. That should end the confusion.

And thanks for the offer, but I can make it myself.

Nice choice! I can always understand sticking with MI2's Guybrush. A Guybrush without the scruff is no pirate at all.

Kasumi1970 said:
Ok, thank you for the answer. The only game on that list I have played has been, Psychonauts.

You are really missing out on some of the funniest, most well written adventure games of all time. Hunt them down (especially The Secret of Monkey Island whose main character, Guybrush, is featured in mine and Threepwood's avatar) and enjoy adventure gaming bliss.

Enk

makes good threads.
Very true. :D

I wonder what happened to that beard in COMI. Hmm...

It grew inwards obviously. And what about LeChuck being Guybrush's brother? I guess that disappeared with the new writers as well. Makes me wonder what direction the series would've taken had Schafer and Gilbert stayed on, but I shouldn't think about that. It makes me sad in pants. :(

Enk said:
It grew inwards obviously. And what about LeChuck being Guybrush's brother? I guess that disappeared with the new writers as well. Makes me wonder what direction the series would've taken had Schafer and Gilbert stayed on, but I shouldn't think about that. It makes me sad in pants. :(

Personally, the pretty graphics and Dominic Armato were enough to make me forget about such things.

Hey, look on the bright side. If Schafer and Gilbert stayed on, they might not have chosen Armato as the voice of Guybrush. And I can't picture anyone else fitting the role as great as he did.

Top Bottom