• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenawalt: "Disappointed in myself" from fan reaction; want to win fans back [Forza]

QaaQer

troll is people like you, who called me "pot & kettle" a couple of hours ago, did not reply at all to you, and now you are calling me "spock".

trolls are the ones who because they only care to troll, never cared to learn how this game actually works, and decided to make it the flagship of their whatever-"protest" for their whatever-"reasons".

as I said, this trolling is a bad service to forza players, because we want some things improved and you are causing ground level irrelevant noise.

complains in forza communities is a whole lot of different thing than the out-of-this-world post that made me read and participate in this thread. here, have a look: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93642001&postcount=474
I dont know how this guy is not banned yet, I have seen tens or hundreds of posters getting banned for talking less than this about other developers, let alone studio heads,

but
exactly because I am not retarded -like that dude writes-, I got sick of reading retarded and stupid things about forza.
some of you people, you are ruining my gaf. and thats not cool.

its a reference to forza5, since balloons, birds, choppers, all sorts of shit now exist in every track.
I would be VERY pissed if I still got the same inaccurate ring on forza 5, ported to the new machine, but "beautified" with these shit.

You are obviously emotionally invested in this game and see criticism as a personal attack. I'll stop poking you.

p3tran

Banned
Hey p3tran, why are they there at all? Why not just support the 'trolls', or as I assume they'd prefer to addressed, 'the people who think this shit, no matter how it's implemented, shouldn't be in a retail game'? At worst it leads to MT being taken out...and that wouldn't be so bad, would it?
nick, for forza 5 only, I have paid already around 1100euros, with more to come probably, so, last thing I will do, is defend a shitty thing. in fact, I will fuck it until it dies!
and I said already more than two times, HAVING THE "BUY WITH TOKENS" BUTTONS DISPLAYED IN EVERY FUCKIN'TRANSACTION, IT MAKES THE GAME LOOK CHEAP!!
but thats all it does. nothing more than that. I have written a list that in my opinion contains the things that need to be addressed. look it up if you want.

AFTER those things are rectified, I will have no problem supporting or even focusing on secondary/irrelevant things like the freakin' token buttons.

until then, I will remain on my position that this kind of trolling takes away from the important forza things I want being looked upon and fixed

You are obviously emotionally invested in this game and see criticism as a personal attack. I'll stop poking you.
how about I start poking at you? I am willing to bet that you wont like it at all. so its better you skip the name calling and just focus on the point here. ;)

Hoo-doo

Banned
p3tran, what is it with you and this game man? You seem very emotionally invested.

Honestly curious. I have never seen one man take up a shield against the flames this passionately and obsessively.

Nicktals

Banned
nick, for forza 5 only, I have paid already around 1100euros, with more to come probably, so, last thing I will do, is defend a shitty thing. in fact, I will fuck it until it dies!
and I said already more than two times, HAVING THE "BUY WITH TOKENS" BUTTONS DISPLAYED IN EVERY FUCKIN'TRANSACTION, IT MAKES THE GAME LOOK CHEAP!!
but thats all it does. nothing more than that. I have written a list that in my opinion contains the things that need to be addressed. look it up if you want.

AFTER those things are rectified, I will have no problem supporting or even focusing on secondary/irrelevant things like the freakin' token buttons.

until then, I will remain on my position that this kind of trolling takes away from the important forza things I want being looked upon and fixed

how about I start poking at you? I am willing to bet that you wont like it at all. so its better you skip the name calling and just focus on the point here. ;)

But one is more important to you, as a hardcore Forza player. The other is more important to me, as someone who fears for the prevalence this has taken in gaming, and will continue to take, if people don't voice their concerns. It seems you agree with what most of the 'trolls' are saying, you just don't think it's as important...so I'm failing to see why you're getting upset. Both are issues, one impacts just this game (which matters to you a lot), the other impacts gaming (and certainly MS's approach) as a whole (which matters to me a lot).

well, you know what? if the trolls would finally SHUT THE FUCK UP, many interesting discussions about forza could take place...
This is why we have different threads. So people can discuss different topics.

Do you think the game would be better without these transactions? Do you think the game needs them?

And do you think a hardcore player is the best baseline representation for how rewarding a progression system is?

Lothars

Quite the opposite. The game is fantastic and not a grind at all. The comments and criticisms here are mostly fabricated and made by individuals who haven't played the game.
Not at all, Most of the criticisms is right on and justified. They deserve all the shit they get for the game.

It's a decent game but far from perfect and it's not a very good forza game maybe it will get better with the changes but right now they dropped the ball.

p3tran

Banned
But one is more important to you, as a hardcore Forza player. The other is more important to me, as someone who fears for the prevalence this has taken in gaming, and will continue to take, if people don't voice their concerns. It seems you agree with what most of the 'trolls' are saying, you just don't think it's as important...so I'm failing to see why you're getting upset. Both are issues, one impacts just this game (which matters to you a lot), the other impacts gaming (and certainly MS's approach) as a whole (which matters to me a lot).

but if you where a forza player, you would already know that this token thing is really blown out of proportions.
yes, a flagship game makes a good target for anything, but when you are fighting against something that just doesnt manifest itself on forza, at least in a degree worth making it the target, then you know you are not fighting the right battle.

now, if turn10 went and said: "-what? game is perfect, shut the fuck up", then yes, maybe there would be a reason indeed to blow this out of proportions.
but as things are? its 75% system wars in my opinion, and maybe 25% people that eat the bait.

This is why we have different threads. So people can discuss different topics.

Do you think the game would be better without these transactions? Do you think the game needs them?

And do you think a hardcore player is the best baseline representation for how rewarding a progression system is?
- I only read the official topic and the photomode thread. I have stopped reading all other forza topics because of excessive trolling. (many forza players I know also do the same)
this thread was pointed to me for a specific post in the official thread, feel free to look it up.

- yes, all games would be better without trying to milk the customer who already paid for the fuckin thing.
I understand how the "pay to unlock" scheme works, I think its a shit thing to do, anyway this aims to people of age with less time and more income, but still is SHITTY. not a real problem in forza though.
increased DLC price IS a legitimate thing though, and its a SHAME it always goes lost in the trollings.

- nope, but what I can do with the game in ten days, or in one day, is a 10000% proof that all these claims that you need to spend 5 years racing (or pay up) to get the cars you want are BULLSHIT
IF turn10 whistled indifferently, or had they said "hey, game is perfectly balanced, so get off my back", then you would have a different case.

and new players, you know, they can take advantage of the community, like getting good tunes to greatly help them get on faster with the game, even in its most difficult aspects. such things I want fixed, because I find them to be not up to par, and for the last time I will say that these things are about 100 times more important than the stupid token buttons.

but, if you see the changes that t10 did, they seem to aim to facilitate the non-core players. stuff ranging from a completely playable and enjoyable simrace game with the pad, to the latest automations that you get shown automatically liveries and presented with automatic tuning options, they all point to that.
[...]
as i said, i know its hard to cater to multiple audiences at the same time, but I think t10 is one of the businesses doing the most amazing job on this.

STILL, things needs to be "balanced", just please not let us waste our time reading that dan greenwalt is the devils son because he let them token buttons appear on every transaction....

I agree that Turn10 is doing great in how they deal with a very heterogen audience. Drivatars and the difficulty settings you can "filter" them through were kind of mind-blowing the first 10 hours I played the game. Same goes for lap-count and "within top3 for gold", truly great ideas in my mind, Gran Turismo seems a little backwards compared to it. Forzavista is another thing that caters to all the non-gamers but car-lovers among your friends.
But WHY make it accessable, why allow people that aren't that good at driving racing sims to be the hero of their story with a "-20%" difficulty setting if all it leads to in the is being shown how inferior they are should they ever want to buy (with in-game credits!) a high-end car and start the exotic or racing class leagues? It's like CoD luring you with a "very easy" single-player story-mode difficulty and then saying "to play the last two levels, your multiplayer kill/death ratio needs to be xy". They haven't even TRIED to cater to the lower-end audience in point of possible game-completion(on their difficulty).

What we also can agree on is that microtransactions are totally ok, if the core-game design stays unchanged.
Best way: Microtransaction should feel like the devs saying "We love you hardcore fans for loving the product we love to make and we want to give you all the great little extras you're asking for, but to make them costs money, so if you want more paint-shop options, we ARE going to implement them, but we need to ask you for some money to keep this after-release fan-support alive".

Not at all, Most of the criticisms is right on and justified. They deserve all the shit they get for the game.

It's a decent game but far from perfect and it's not a very good forza game maybe it will get better with the changes but right now they dropped the ball.

I agree it is far from perfect. The whole genre of simulation racing games if far from perfect. However, "dropped the ball" is a fairly broad and critical statement. What exactly did they screw up so bad in the game that made you form that opinion? In my opinion, the graphics, AI, and physics improvements make this the best forza yet and, furthermore, the best console racer in those categories. I think it is hard to claim they dropped the ball on any of those items, which to me, are the most important for a racing game.

HokieJoe

but if you where a forza player, you would already know that this token thing is really blown out of proportions.
yes, a flagship game makes a good target for anything, but when you are fighting against something that just doesnt manifest itself on forza, at least in a degree worth making it the target, then you know you are not fighting the right battle.

now, if turn10 went and said: "-what? game is perfect, shut the fuck up", then yes, maybe there would be a reason indeed to blow this out of proportions.
but as things are? its 75% system wars in my opinion, and maybe 25% people that eat the bait.

- I only read the official topic and the photomode thread. I have stopped reading all other forza topics because of excessive trolling. (many forza players I know also do the same)
this thread was pointed to me for a specific post in the official thread, feel free to look it up.

- yes, all games would be better without trying to milk the customer who already paid for the fuckin thing.
I understand how the "pay to unlock" scheme works, I think its a shit thing to do, anyway this aims to people of age with less time and more income, but still is SHITTY. not a real problem in forza though.
increased DLC price IS a legitimate thing though, and its a SHAME it always goes lost in the trollings.

- nope, but what I can do with the game in ten days, or in one day, is a 10000% proof that all these claims that you need to spend 5 years racing (or pay up) to get the cars you want are BULLSHIT
IF turn10 whistled indifferently, or had they said "hey, game is perfectly balanced, so get off my back", then you would have a different case.

and new players, you know, they can take advantage of the community, like getting good tunes to greatly help them get on faster with the game, even in its most difficult aspects. such things I want fixed, because I find them to be not up to par, and for the last time I will say that these things are about 100 times more important than the stupid token buttons.

Can't be said enough.

zashga

Kudos to Eurogamer for asking some pertinent and marginally difficult questions, but it's disappointing that they didn't push him a little harder on the corporate doublespeak. Microsoft's particular brand of "there's no problem, people just don't understand what we're doing" permeates this interview, and it would be nice to see someone in games journalism challenge that attitude for once.

I don't play racing games, so I won't comment on Forza 5 too much. That said, full price games with in-game solicitations to spend money on F2P-style unlocks and shortcuts are super gross.

...and for the last time I will say that these things are about 100 times more important than the stupid token buttons.
Which is cool, and is your opinion. You're also a hardcore player who already plunked down $110 for the limited edition on day one making you a VIP, or maybe you were already a VIP and started the game with far more in the bank than a new player to the series (via Forza rewards). And even then you don't talk about just playing the game to unlock the content you want - but spell out specific grind techniques that you describe as boring but that are designed to maximize income in as short a time as possible.

So it seems a little odd to say the issue of monetizing the game's progression is overblown when you've taken so many steps to get ahead of it yourself.

And even Turn 10s response doesn't read as someone who recognizes the criticisms with monetization, but as somebody who pushed just a little too far and too early. So they'll tune the prices but god forbid they remove the tokens or accelerators and even the prompts for the same from the game.

What I think will be really instructive is what they do with Horizon and Forza 6. They'll tune Forza 5's economy to avoid the backlash but as long as that monetization exists they'll continue to push it further over time.

At least he is apologizing, admitting his mistakes & learning from them, unlike Kaz.
Makes me feel confident for the next installment.

There are times that playing GT6 feels like I'm still playing GT1. In a lot of ways the series flat out refused to evolve or step into the current racing generation.

I can honestly say Forza 3 was drastically different from Forza 1 & Forza 5 is drastically different from Forza 2. A.i, career modes, menus, sound, races etc.. all changed for the better across the board (except for the monetizing in F5).

p3tran how do you have time to do all this leveling up when you are writing manifestos on here? I wish I had this much passion about anything lol.

p3tran

Banned
Which is cool, and is your opinion. You're also a hardcore player who already plunked down $110 for the limited edition on day one making you a VIP, or maybe you were already a VIP and started the game with far more in the bank than a new player to the series (via Forza rewards). And even then you don't talk about just playing the game to unlock the content you want - but spell out specific grind techniques that you describe as boring but that are designed to maximize income in as short a time as possible.

So it seems a little odd to say the issue of monetizing the game's progression is overblown when you've taken so many steps to get ahead of it yourself.

And even Turn 10s response doesn't read as someone who recognizes the criticisms with monetization, but as somebody who pushed just a little too far and too early. So they'll tune the prices but god forbid they remove the tokens or accelerators and even the prompts for the same from the game.

What I think will be really instructive is what they do with Horizon and Forza 6. They'll tune Forza 5's economy to avoid the backlash but as long as that monetization exists they'll continue to push it further over time.
I think I have put enough facts on the table, to be able to be above and beyond just "a personal opinion". so you are wrong there.

now, about the other things..
I bought VIP online, less than two days ago. And since then, i havent played much/at all because I am finally receiving my wheel on Monday, plus I received my ps4 yesterday, as it was officialy launched in my country.
so all my earnings up to now, are with the regular copy of the game.

Yes, I had ordered and payed for the forza 5 limited edition, which would include vip, but my order never came from game.co.uk, so after a confusing 10 days I decided to buy vip since I see clearly that I will never get my lce from them fuckers.

and yes, in order to be able to afford a bugatti veyron in three hours, THERE HAS to be a "technique" for it, right? ;D
its not like if you dont get the veyron in three hours the game goes sour and kills itself...
so what is your point about good paying techniques? they shouldnt exist?

also, the reward system, its not a cheat of any kind, its an official, supporting system of the game.
yes, I started with rewards, but trust me, I can put up ten more pics of expensive cars I also have in my garage, and those over-compensate for the starting bonuses i got.
bonuses that everybody that has played previous forza games will get. and the ones that just play forza 5.
so,
I dont understand... Are we supposed to look at this as ...a bad thing?!

and to answer your question about WHY I HAD TO RUN AHEAD OF MYSELF IN ACQUIRING CARS,
ITS BECAUSE I READ TOO MANY STUPID THREADS LIKE THIS!!
and i started wanting to get "dat expensive or 2-years-playtime-worth lotus f1" asap
even though I have hardly even perfected a single D class car (which is the lowest class)
or lapped all tracks in any lower class.... so there is your answer.

about how they will fix the economy, I can only make guesses, like you .
the thing is, economy does need some fixing (especially as the automatic reward system sucks big time for now for tuners, painters and good drivatars)
but really is not hurting the game. at all! what it does hurt, is my appetite to do tunes for the community, or the painter's appetite to spend 50 hours to make a fantastic livery. but they have time to correct this, and i think they will. I wrote before that in my opinion the way the system currently works, defined some features of the game.

but the double reward/half price I heard, it will make the game EASY ENOUGH even for the casualest players. (which will be good since t10 aims at all people)
other things I listed before, those in my opinion are way more important for the game.
;)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
How many times does it have to be said, the ease or difficult of getting credits isn't the issue here.

Klocker

how anyone can jump on someone who is admitting they are disappointed in themselves and want to do better for their fans, defies logic and any sense of civility.

everyone misjudges how they approach things sometimes and we all often get benefit of the doubt to do better... oh except when it comes to games, then we need to attack, call liars, cheats and scoundrels.

Arcoril

how anyone can jump on someone who is admitting they are disappointed in themselves and want to do better for their fans, defies logic and any sense of civility.

Because the "apology" insults our intelligence. The changes to slow down progression were obviously made with the intent of making tokens a more appealing option. Rather than simply acknowledging that this was their intent, they feign ignorance and insist that putting in tokens was actually a favor for people who didn't have the time to run through the ridiculous grind that they put in.

To make things worse, the grind was justified by explaining that they simply wanted expensive cars to be rare. If that was their design goal, there are numerous other ways to accomplish this that don't compromise gameplay by removing:
  • Gifted cars when levling up
  • Discounts for upgrades
  • The ability to drive any car in free play
Also note that tokens can incidentally be used to remedy any of the above.

Dan's apology is loaded with self-pity. I'm almost certain that his orders were passed down from above, but it's pretty obvious that his apology is a total spin on what actually happened.

p3tran

Banned
so, if it is that people will fail to read even the same fuckin' page, there is really no point in all of this...

- you now get MONEY when leveling up, and you level up faster
- the car manufacturer affinity, which lead to parts discounts, has now been moved to be a up to 25% multiplyer of your total race score. in EVERY race.
- still can do this, although not officialy, but it works for EVERYONE

everyone misjudges how they approach things sometimes and we all often get benefit of the doubt to do better... oh except when it comes to games, then we need to attack, call liars, cheats and scoundrels.

Firstly because his reasoning for putting these things into the game is just terrible. Now that i can see his thought process when developing games it kinda makes me weary of what they will produce in the future. The main issue though is that this comes off as less of an apology and more of just blaming the consumer for not understanding what they were going for. This seems to be a pretty common sentiment with MS apologizing and it's pretty insulting.

Grassy

Game must be pretty dire and it seems they shattered any playerbase they ever had. Only one person in here defending it. Glad I clicked the thread for the read. Definately more enjoyable than the instructions I read above on how to grind out credits on easy mode over and over.

Not true at all. The "meat and potatoes" of this game is really good. There are a few issues with lack of content, tracks namely, and some strange design issues but the actual gameplay is really good. The "grind" is non-existent for me because it just feels so good to play, the car-physics are hard to master but when you nail a near-perfect lap it feels so good. Rivals is great and I've hardly scratched the surface of that. Photomode alone is a huge time-sink for me.

The monetization issue is not a problem for me, it is far from necessary to use microtransactions in this game to get what you need. I think I passed the achievement for "Garage worth over 20million credits" over two weeks ago. I also work 80+ hours a week so I don't get much time to play, and have not felt a need to buy any cars with real money.

I was helped out by Forza Rewards in which I was gifted credits for playing previous Forza games, and I made the most of the 50% discount weekend a few weeks ago. Overall I'm really enjoying the game.

Quite the opposite. The game is fantastic and not a grind at all. The comments and criticisms here are mostly fabricated and made by individuals who haven't played the game.

But people who have played the game are complaining. In this thread, and other places.

Do you honestly think T10 would have made all the changes and discounts if it was just from some forum 'trolls' who hadn't played the game? The reason they made the changes was because of people who HAD played it, the fans. Their fans.

I'm glad some of the hardcore Forza fans find it acceptable, enjoy the game. Some of us don't and after fully supporting T10 for years, I am not purchasing their 5th installment. I may be back for the 6th. I want to be. And honestly some part of this has to do with MS and the XB1 itself. There a few factors but T10 could have EASILY pushed me into the MS camp. I go where the games are. It's why I usually own everything. But right now, T10 hasn't convinced me that I need an XB1.

so, if it is that people will fail to read even the same fuckin' page, there is really no point in all of this...

- you now get MONEY when leveling up, and you level up faster
- the car manufacturer affinity, which lead to parts discounts, has now been moved to be a up to 25% multiplyer of your total race score. in EVERY race.
- still can do this, although not officialy, but it works for EVERYONE

I don't get you man. You yourself say the microtransactions are bad. And then in the next post you're annoyed with all of us for saying microtransactions are bad. Like we're all agreeing, but you're furious with us all for some reason.

RS4-

The monetization issue is not a problem for me, it is far from necessary to use microtransactions in this game to get what you need. I think I passed the achievement for "Garage worth over 20million credits" over two weeks ago. I also work 80+ hours a week so I don't get much time to play, and have not felt a need to buy any cars with real money.

I was helped out by Forza Rewards in which I was gifted credits for playing previous Forza games, and I made the most of the 50% discount weekend a few weeks ago. Overall I'm really enjoying the game.

If they didn't have Forza rewards or the discounts, would you still feel the same way?

Top Bottom