• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenville man fires back after Amy Schumer's Instagram post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: Maybe I read this wrong, but I think Amy is saying "this is not right" in terms of what he supposedly said and not putting his image up:

After receiving supportive comments from followers, Schumer clarified hours later that she would still take pictures "with nice people when I choose to."

In a tweet, Schumer thanked her fans — "Thanks for the kind words and support. I know there are bigger problems in the world. But this was not right" — and clarified her earlier decision regarding photos: "I'll still take pictures with nice people when I choose to if it's a good time for that. But I don't owe you anything. So don't take it if I say no."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amy-schumer-harassed-by-fan-889115

I really don't know how to phrase the title, so I just used the one from the article.

While in the Upstate for a comedy show, Amy Schumer said an incident with a stranger has changed her policy on fan photos. The Greenville man said her fans aren't getting the full story, though.

On Saturday afternoon, Schumer posted an Instagram photo of a man on what appeared to be North Main Street in Greenville.

The comedienne said he approached her and shoved a camera in her face. When she asked him to stop, Schumer said the man told her, "no it's America and we paid for you."

Below is Schumer's full post:

This guy in front of his family just ran up next to me scared the ---- out of me. Put a camera in my face. I asked him to stop and he said " no it's America and we paid for you" this was in front of his daughter. I was saying stop and no. Great message to your kid. Yes legally you are allowed to take a picture of me. But I was asking you to stop and saying no. I will not take picture with people anymore and it's because of this dude in Greenville.

Leslie Brewer reached out to FOX Carolina saying he is the man in the photo and said Schumer's post is not an accurate account of what happened.

Brewer said he was walking down the street when several other pedestrians started shouting that they spotted the celebrity at a stoplight. He said he pulled out his camera to Instagram it, but stopped recording when she asked.

Brewer said he was upset when Schumer brought his daughter into the conversation and the two had a disagreement about him recording the video. He said Schumer began walking away but then turned around and came back, telling him she was going to take his picture and share it with her four million followers.

Her post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE1LsFhKUGw/?taken-by=amyschumer

His, with video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE1LdIzvLqN2oiapJ47UqgD-R7cBlHnQe3quHw0/

tl;dr

Dude sees Amy, wants to take a pic and Amy flips her shit in response, puts him on blast for social media to tear into him, and he responds with his account with the above video of him apologizing and not being aggressive in it.

Source: http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/31...photos-after-encounter-with-man-in-greenville

Edit: I should iterate, for whatever it's worth, that I know of this guy through my group of friends, and he'd never do this sort of thing. Just an odd situation all around.

When she asked him to stop, Schumer said the man told her, "no it's America and we paid for you."

I mean I don't want to rule this out of possibility, but what are the actual odds somebody really said this to her

- J - D -

6RUSR05.png

I don't care who's at fault or whatever. I think this image is hilarious.

now if we could just find a way to get people to stop pointing video cameras at her too we'd be making some real progress

6RUSR05.png

I don't care who's at fault or whatever. I think this image is hilarious.

The one on her instagram is way funnier. It's just a dude doing the thumbs up who's supposed to be so unhinged that he tells Amy he, as America, "owns her", infront of his kids.

And it's just him with this fucking grin on his face like he had a good ice cream.

I can't tell anything from either account.

But I will say this, celebs running to social media to unleash the wolves on random schmuck from the public is complete bullshit.

NYR

Both are douche bags.

So it shall be written. So it shall be done. Next case, bailiff!

I don't have much sympathy for either one. She shouldn't have freaked out but taking videos or photos of someone famous you just happen to see in the street is so lame.

Don't get the celebrity fetishists. Give them a nod and keep walking people.

Yeah...

I used to work at the front desk of a hotel. Small town, but we had a celeb here and there. Mostly older musicians in the "we're not particularly relevant these days, but we're still touring" leg of their career. More often than not, I was too shy to even say hi. Just smiled and nodded.

old

I'm on Amy's side here, but I'll admit she seems to be getting herself into one drama after another every other week or so.

I don't understand taking a picture of a celebrity like they're not human myself. Clearly in other parts of the country people certainly cultivate this disconnect.

Abounder

Banned
"She cussed me out in front of my family."

Yikes, lol. Poor kid having to watch adults act like this, really not a good look for Schumer for escalating it through instagram but whatever I suppose

This feels incredibly petty. Someone ruined 5 minutes of your time so you try to make them infamous? Dude's an idiot though. I think it's common courtesy to ask before taking someone's picture.

Ivan 3414

Don't get the celebrity fetishists. Give them a nod and keep walking people.

I get how annoying it probably is for dozens of people to take pictures of someone without their picture, and I also get how people aren't interested in celebrities or their day to day lives.

That being said, if you see an individual that you really admire, you're not at least going to say hello or share some kind words of admiration?

Ashby

several other pedestrians started shouting that they spotted the celebrity at a stoplight.

God, what an embarrassing situation. I'm just imagining a bunch of people running around like chicken with their heads cut off, "Oh my God! Somebody we've seen on tv before!!" Who gives a fuck, it's just another person.

Obviously a monster with the smile and thumbs up. Hope he doesn't suffer from any internet mob seeking justice in the name of Amy.

What mob?

No one knew who he was until he came forward.

Is she not allowed to go about her day without being harassed just because she's a celebrity?

And if anything the likelihood is most folks are going to take his side. Which is par for the course when women and celebrities dare to talk about harassment they experience

norm9

What mob?

No one knew who he was until he came forward.

Is she not allowed to go about her day without being harassed just because she's a celebrity?

Sounds like she's trying to incite a riot. I will NEVER take pics again with people. Thank this guy, hint hint.

It's par for the course with celebrities. Should he be more courteous with her time? Of course, but she's different than me or you. She exists because of the public. Gotta do the handshaking and all that other stuff that goes along with being a celeb. She commands a lot of influence and people acknowledging her influence by asking for a picture isn't harrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom