• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenville man fires back after Amy Schumer's Instagram post

Status
Not open for further replies.

.JayZii

Banned
Neither side of the story sounds 100% true. Neither the photo nor the video prove either of their stories.

I think it's funny that people believe the guy did nothing wrong because he took a video of himself looking happy while she looks annoyed. People can't act like assholes and then look pleased with themselves after? News to me.

People assuming she should always be okay with being approached and talked at without being able to ask for some privacy does sound a lot like "we paid for you" whether it's put in those exact words or not.

GhaleonEB

The instagram video doesn't really exonerate him from being a jerk. He's being one in the video, then she asks him to delete it - clearly not wanting to be filmed - and later says she got mad about it. That sounds pretty in-line with her account, where she's photographed against her wishes and got mad at him.

Pepboy

No one's using the word "monster," but she's visibly annoyed and upset at the intrusion, so what word would you use to describe someone who causes that feeling in another person and proceeds to smile and give himself a thumbs up?

I imagine as a mod you have a lot of threads to keep track of, but you might want to re-examine your initial estimate. The guy's account is private and according to OP, he only posted the video after Amy lambasted him to her 4 million followers. Watching the video, she says "That's rude." and he says "Sorry" and after she starts asking him to delete it, he puts the phone down. She showed no "visible annoyance" prior to him putting his thumb up (partly her sunglasses made this difficult).

It's unclear what she's referring to when she says "that's rude", but she still has her headphones in, so I doubt they had a long conversation prior to this. Following the event, it seems he did not post the video? Instead, she doxxes him to 4 million followers (sharing private information, particularly where he lives and his face). She goes out of her way to say specifically that he is the sole reason she will never take photos with fans again.

I also wonder how you would have responded the same way if the video was not of a black man, i.e. if you would still perceive his actions as those of a "monster". Here's a recent article reviewing studies that you might find illuminating:

http://kulturekritic.com/2015/10/ne...ied-white-people-are-of-black-sounding-names/

The instagram video doesn't really exonerate him from being a jerk. He's being one in the video, then she asks him to delete it - clearly not wanting to be filmed - and later says she got mad about it. That sounds pretty in-line with her account, where she's photographed against her wishes and got mad at him.

I'm a little too "close" with the guy (not even friends, but just know him through mutual people, you know), so I'm not exactly the best person to commentate on this issue. But you are right - the video of him doesn't show the crowd of people he said was around, or that she said that she'd post it in instagram with that intent.

I imagine as a mod you have a lot of threads to keep track of, but you might want to re-examine your initial estimate. The guy's account is private and according to OP, he only posted the video after Amy lambasted him to her 4 million followers. Watching the video, she says "That's rude." and he says "Sorry" and after she starts asking him to delete it, he puts the phone down. She showed no "visible annoyance" prior to him putting his thumb up (partly her sunglasses made this difficult).

It's unclear what she's referring to when she says "that's rude", but she still has her headphones in, so I doubt they had a long conversation prior to this. Following the event, it seems he did not post the video? Instead, she doxxes him to 4 million followers (sharing private information, particularly where he lives and his face). She goes out of her way to say specifically that he is the sole reason she will never take photos with fans again.

I also wonder how you would have responded the same way if the video was not of a black man, i.e. if you would still perceive his actions as those of a "monster". Here's a recent article reviewing studies that you might find illuminating:

http://kulturekritic.com/2015/10/ne...ied-white-people-are-of-black-sounding-names/

It's not within the realm of impossibility that he could have taken more photos or videos before or after he put the phone down.

And I wouldn't start calling race into this, man. You have no idea what race faceless is, so that might be moot.

I mean, this could all land squarely in the middle here.

For some reason I want to see Amy's face photoshopped onto his thumb.

Here you go.

IHfY1fi.png

No one called him a monster. That's literally what the post you quoted says.

Pepboy

No one called him a monster. That's literally what the post you quoted says.

The mod post more or less says "No one has called him a monster, but what (else) would we call him when he does these terrible things?" It's implicitly agreeing that his actions are those of a "monster". If I misunderstood the mod's intent, then I apologize.

The mod post more or less says "No one has called him a monster, but what (else) would we call him when he does these terrible things?" It's implicitly agreeing that his actions are those of a "monster". If I misunderstood the mod's intent, then I apologize.

More like no one is calling him a monster but something like asshole works.

The dude's actions are those of an asshole.

Post was a reply to a gut who us outright denying that the guy did anything wrong uo to amd including invoking the publuc made her do she owes them line of thought.

That was the point of the post. No one is calling him a monster but his actions are not benign.

So not only is posting about a irritable event that actually happened to her on Instagram Doxxing. But she's now she's bigoted against black people?

Dude you should dial it back.

Bigfoot

So not only is posting about a irritable event that actually happened to her on Instagram Doxxing. But she's now she's bigoted against black people?

Dude you should dial it back.
There is no reason she had to post his picture. She could have posted the event but left his face out of it.

As for the black thing, who knows? Not sure if she has a history of that.

.JayZii

Banned

You don't think it's possible she put her headphones back in after their confrontation, he went to take another shot of her with him giving a thumbs up and she took them back out to say "that's rude" and "can you delete that?"? Then he later posted a 3 second video edited by himself that makes him look not so bad, but still kind of shitty, so he must have done nothing wrong?

Nobody called this guy a "monster", a person defending him said people criticizing him were calling him a monster. Hyperbole becomes quotable fact, just like that.

I don't think this was a race thing at all, but thanks for linking the unrelated study.

Nipo

So famous person out in public gets mad when someone takes their photo? Deal with it you're grossly over compensated in part because you're sacrificing a lot of your privacy.

I would describe someone that is apparently so happy to meet a celebrity they have angered and annoyed to be a total monster.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Eh, if he asked and she allowed it: It's kinda a dick move to bitch about it right after. If he didn't and she only played along to be nice, then yeah. I can see where she's coming from.

So famous person out in public gets mad when someone takes their photo? Deal with it you're grossly over compensated in part because you're sacrificing a lot of your privacy.

While I understand this mindview, sometimes they don't want to be bothered. Asking nicely for a photo and if they decline: You should take that decline and go away. Not be extremely pushy and a total ass to them because "LOL YOU'RE A CELEBRITY YOU SHOULD BE USED TO NOT HAVING ANY PRIVACY."

Alienous

I'm not sure he knows how much he annoyed her at the time. He's turned away from her when he's smiling, so he can't read her facial expressions, and he doesn't seem too happy with himself afterwards.

You did. Other posters after you correctly intuited my point.

It's hard to have a discussion if simply responding to hyperbole is automatically assumed to be hyperbole in the opposite direction.

Where did you get that she was trying to sic and internet mob on anyone?

Already explained it in the last page. "I'm not taking any more photos with people because of this dude in Greenville.' followed up with his picture sounds like a call out.

I'll concede that she probably was just making an example of him to warn people not to take photos without permission. But I don't have that faith in her fans, or really any fanbases in general to show restraint whenever their favorite celebrity calls someone out like that.

v0yce

Edit: I should iterate, for whatever it's worth, that I know of this guy through my group of friends, and he'd never do this sort of thing. Just an odd situation all around.

Never do what sort of thing? Because by his own admission he heard there was a celeb nearby and immediately pulled out his camera to Instagram it. That's pretty lame itself but the video he posts grinning like an idiot with thumbs up in front of annoyed celeb asking him to delete it is total a-hole material.

I will never understand people's fascination with celebrities, especially the need to take a photo. If I was famous I would be pissed if some random just started taking pics.

I will never understand people's fascination with celebrities, especially the need to take a photo. If I was famous I would be pissed if some random just started taking pics.

as someone who has had a fair amount of contact with "celebrities" through previous jobs and volunteering and stuff, I still don't understand the appeal. at this point I'm just relieved when you find one that acts like a normal person.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I have no problems with her feelings on the matter, because people don't give a shit about celebrities being like everyone else for the most part. What she can do that isn't like everyone else is use that fame to directly or indirectly harass someone much worse than what she just experienced, which I don't think is right. It really is fucked up that she posted a picture of him and revealed the area he was located. It's really not hard for people on the Internet to find you if they have the motivation. He's a complete asshole for this, but a message without any contextual details would've sufficed.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Asking to take pictures with celebs is pretty intimidating, when they are in a public space. it's best to leave them alone, unless they are actively taking photos with people.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Asking to take pictures with celebs is pretty intimidating, when they are in a public space. it's best to leave them alone, unless they are actively taking photos with people.
Even If there's a picture group going on you should still ask lol.

Never do what sort of thing? Because by his own admission he heard there was a celeb nearby and immediately pulled out his camera to Instagram it. That's pretty lame itself but the video he posts grinning like an idiot with thumbs up in front of annoyed celeb asking him to delete it is total a-hole material.

The tirade, as I've noted many times in this thread.

DiscoJer

There was a recent Corona about this, with Benecio del Toro being mistaken for Antonio Banderas.

I'm sure it's annoying as hell, but it's part of being famous.

Some people are weird about celebs in public. This dude's entire point based on the picture and video seems to be more about him than the celebrity, so why even take a picture? Comes across as the kind of guy that's just desperate for social media attention, rather than someone who just genuinely wanted a picture with a person who's work he enjoys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom