• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenville man fires back after Amy Schumer's Instagram post

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Didn't know people were so high and mighty when it came to taking pictures with or of celebrities.

If this was a white douchey dude, he would have had to ACTUALLY harass her to stir up this kind of animosity.

Never heard of people taking pictures of celebrities huh? Did you know they call it "public" for a reason? You want a private exercise? Work out in your gym. Christ.

keffri

1x
amy schumer in 2016
1x

This is why popular people don't go outside of their homes to mingle with the common people. To avoid weirdos like this to ruin their day. They have to stay in their own bubble to avoid this kind of attention. Then the public expects the celebrity to give them the time of day as if there's some "reciprocal relationship". Yet these same people hate the paparazzi.

Have we lost common decency? If someone came up to you and you were famous (even NeoGAF levels of famous or a big Twitch streamer or a games journalist), and they just took an unsolicited selfie of you to then post publicly even after you said to please not do that, would you be all "well, he is entitled to that because he made me famous"? How hard is it to strike up a conversation and get consent on taking a photo with them? Even a natural photo of the celeb you took without them noticing would be less creepy than a selfie (and a video at that, in this case).

ZeroX03

Banned
Don't take photos or videos of people without their permission (unless they're committing a crime). It's common courtesy.

Don't try and unleash internet hate mobs either.

vern

Don't take photos or videos of people without their permission (unless they're committing a crime). It's common courtesy.

Don't try and unleash internet hate mobs either.

Taking photos of people without their permission is perfectly fine. Street photography is a thing. Not saying this is that, but yeah it's ok to take photos of people in public. Common courtesy still applies of course.

The Llama

Taking photos of people without their permission is perfectly fine. Street photography is a thing. Not saying this is that, but yeah it's ok to take photos of people in public. Common courtesy still applies of course.
More than being fine, it's explicitly legal. You don't have an expectation of privacy when you're out on the street.

ZeroX03

Banned

It's legal, doesn't make it okay. Don't be an asshole. Especially if you're stopping people and interrupting their lives.

Didn't know people were so high and mighty when it came to taking pictures with or of celebrities.

If this was a white douchey dude, he would have had to ACTUALLY harass her to stir up this kind of animosity.

Never heard of people taking pictures of celebrities huh? Did you know they call it "public" for a reason? You want a private exercise? Work out in your gym. Christ.

You think she was pissed because he was black?

Yeah, I just figure it's best to be polite when encountering a celebrity. Ask them for a picture. If they say no and you take one anyway, you're being rude and a dick. I've learned that a friendly "hey, (insert celebrity name here), I love your work", will get a much better response than just snapping photos.

vern

It's legal, doesn't make it okay. Don't be an asshole. Especially if you're stopping people and interrupting their lives.

Yea that's why I said common courtesy applies still. You said it's not ok to take photos of people without permission. That's wrong.

akira28

No it's not. And we should stop pretending it is.

being bugged by fans sorta is. But being told that you're owned by the fans, and that, incidentally this is America is some next level philosophizing and that's the entire reason this is a story.

Because the whole country was like jackiechanwhat.gif

being bugged by fans sorta is. But being told that you're owned by the fans, and that, incidentally this is America is some next level philosophizing and that's the entire reason this is a story.

Because the whole country was like jackiechanwhat.gif

At most the expectation required should be I might get approached politely, that's it.

akira28

At most the expectation required should be I might get approached politely, that's it.

Oh I agree with you. This guy is a jerk. but is he a garden variety jerk, or an intentionally dehumanizing one?

like is he super entitled, or is he inventing post-slavery? because that statement he allegedly made is so layered. people should interview this guy. give him a chance to self-immolate on television, or make himself more clear.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Why do people even want photos with celebrities? I just fundamentally don't get it. Are you cherishing the memory of seeing a stranger you already see all the time on tv? Do you think it makes you more interesting? What? Why?

Arnie7

Banned
Kinda horrible for posting the dudes picture online to millions of people. Could have destroyed his life/job over a meaningless squabble. Abuse of power with mob mentality of followers.

GeoGonzo

I'm leaning towards her side on this one. Doing this shouldn't really cause anyone to get fired and everyone will forget it in a few days other than this guy and maybe even others like him... so it could be a good lesson, really.

If you see a celebrity, you could annoy them for five minutes... but why the fuck would you? After dealing with you, they'll have another idiot lined up, and then another, and another. Show some humanity and let them be.

PillarEN

Man. That Twitter creep is on another level. Must be friendless 'cause there is no way your family and friends don't go "Hey Miguel (making up the name here), plenty of pretty girls in this city. Why are you creeping on some girl in Hollywood who will never get with you? You're embarrassing all of us by associating with you."

This is why popular people don't go outside of their homes to mingle with the common people. To avoid weirdos like this to ruin their day. They have to stay in their own bubble to avoid this kind of attention. Then the public expects the celebrity to give them the time of day as if there's some "reciprocal relationship". Yet these same people hate the paparazzi.

Have we lost common decency? If someone came up to you and you were famous (even NeoGAF levels of famous or a big Twitch streamer or a games journalist), and they just took an unsolicited selfie of you to then post publicly even after you said to please not do that, would you be all "well, he is entitled to that because he made me famous"? How hard is it to strike up a conversation and get consent on taking a photo with them? Even a natural photo of the celeb you took without them noticing would be less creepy than a selfie (and a video at that, in this case).

This. They're still just people. Have some fucking decency.

Why do people even want photos with celebrities? I just fundamentally don't get it. Are you cherishing the memory of seeing a stranger you already see all the time on tv? Do you think it makes you more interesting? What? Why?

Indeed.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I believe her. Why would she make a big deal about it if it was nothing? She probably gets approached multiple times a day while in public, and doesn't speak out. This time she does for some reason.

Also, I'm ignoring OP's "I know this guy he'd never do these things," because that's just not good enough for me.

Fury451

Banned
Both are douche bags.

So it shall be written. So it shall be done. Next case, bailiff!

I have read the writings and agree with it's message and shall spread this news throughout the land.

So say we all.

I don't blame her for being annoyed at all, being a celebrity is probably irritating when you just want to love your life. Guy seemed like he was a massive nuisance too- photographs that were not given permission for is not cool, but turning internet mobs on people is not acceptable either.

Kinda horrible for posting the dudes picture online to millions of people. Could have destroyed his life/job over a meaningless squabble. Abuse of power with mob mentality of followers.
Why would he lose his job? Why should Amy bear the responsibility if this dude loses his job? That's up to his employer's discretion. I think you've been seeing too many mob mentality stories where the person got fired (for valid reasons) and seem to think this is equal when it is not.

Replicant

I'm always weirded out when I see entitled mentality on Twitter. Like fans expecting the stars to follow them. The fuck? Why should they follow you? Do you have interesting content on your tweet? The answer is no because they usually say "Please follow me. I'm your biggest fan". Err, so are millions of other people. What makes you the special snowflake that celeb should follow? Wouldn't you rather that they follow you on their own accord because they think you have interesting content? Have some self-respect!

I'm always weirded out when I see entitled mentality on Twitter. Like fans expecting the stars to follow them. The fuck? Why should they follow you? Do you have interesting content on your tweet? The answer is no because they usually say "Please follow me. I'm your biggest fan". Err, so are millions of other people. What makes you the special snowflake that celeb should follow? Wouldn't you rather that they follow you on their own accord because they think you have interesting content? Have some self-respect!
It's the new version of fan mail, but made way easier. Kids who think they need validation, feel alone or have little self-worth, and incessant want for fame of any kind to be considered cool by peers ("hey, so-and-so followed me!"). It's telling that some of them have mental issues, and have cut themselves or threatened their pets' lives just to get a follow.

OrMIEh5.jpg

article-twitter-0912.jpg

platocplx

She could have posted a tweet without an image and called it a day. Her posting the guys image and stuff especially over some kind of verbal altercation is so weird to me just seemed like she wanted to punish the guy.

All crazy on both sides I dont bother celebrities if it isnt a sanctioned thing where they are making an appearance its all pretty fucking crazy that people get harassed or are a thing due to fame and cant even do normal shit they do daily without a picture taken.

I think in this case both parties made this way too crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom