• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greenville man fires back after Amy Schumer's Instagram post

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone cares

After receiving supportive comments from followers, Schumer clarified hours later that she would still take pictures "with nice people when I choose to."

In a tweet, Schumer thanked her fans — "Thanks for the kind words and support. I know there are bigger problems in the world. But this was not right" — and clarified her earlier decision regarding photos: "I'll still take pictures with nice people when I choose to if it's a good time for that. But I don't owe you anything. So don't take it if I say no."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amy-schumer-harassed-by-fan-889115

Also this is trending on facebook and a large sum of people are saying either 3 things:

1) She owes people her time because the "people" made her
2) Something, usually sexist, about her being fat, ugly, a whore, or unfunny. More than one calling her a cunt and a bitch though.
3) Polite support for her saying no.

What's missing from my quick little research? A hate mob against the guy.... What's present? A whole lot of hate at her for daring to speak up.... hmmmmm... makes you think.

The Beard

I have to side with Amy on this one. Guy looks like a giant douche with that shit eating grin and thumbs up like he just accomplished something.

You have to be an asshole to walk right up to a celebrity who's minding their own business and just start recording and taking pics without permission. Especially when they are directly asking you not to. I don't buy his story, and his edited down to 3 seconds video doesn't prove anything except that she did ask him to stop, and he just smiled and gave a thumbs up.

Dennis

Banned
"You are not going to keep standing there with your camera are you?"

"I guess you are"

"...."

IrjEunx.jpg

Dsiax9h.jpg

Nxddat6.jpg

fritolay

I will never understand celebrity worship. Leave them alone. They don't care about you.

Leave that stuff for book signings and public appearances.

It's because people like TMZ pay thousands. Nic Cage and Vince Neal drunk and punching/hugging outside, and they less than minute video paid a guy $22k.

Looking at the picture she posted I don't see why you guys are saying the guy looks malicious. To me it just looks like a regular happy smile.

And her putting his picture out like that is just tacky.

Looking at the picture she posted I don't see why you guys are saying the guy looks malicious. To me it just looks like a regular happy smile.

Read the thread there's a picture of her looking clearly distressed/uncomfortable/pissed off with him grinning like an entitled asshole.

The Beard

When you tell someone to leave you alone and you're going to take a pic of them to tell everyone what a creep they are, and they give you that smile? To you, that's just a normal happy man posing for a pic?

Guy is a creepy douche.

Read the thread there's a picture of her looking clearly distressed/uncomfortable/pissed off with him grinning like an entitled asshole.
I'm just not seeing the entitlement here, honestly.
When you tell someone to leave you alone and you're going to take a pic of them to tell everyone what a creep they are, and they give you that smile? To you, that's just a normal happy man posing for a pic?

Guy is a creepy douche.
According to him she didn't tell him that until after he had already put his phone away, and if anything I think she's the one in the wrong here for threatening him and then blaming him, and him specifically, for suddenly declaring she won't take pictures with anyone anymore. Celebrities have the resources to deal with this kind of notoriety but a regular person does not. It's just irresponsible.

And your characterization of this guy as a creepy douche based on this single even is just wrong. OP even actually says that he knows the guy and that he isn't like that at all but apparently that isn't good enough. She even says that the guy scared her which to me is just absolutely hilarious. This guy doesn't look even remotely threatening. And he was with his family, too!

According to him she didn't tell him that until after he had already put his phone away, and if anything I think she's the one in the wrong here for threatening him and then blaming him, and him specifically, for suddenly declaring she won't take pictures with anyone anymore. Celebrities have the resources to deal with this kind of notoriety but a regular person does not. It's just irresponsible.

And your characterization of this guy as a creepy douche based on this single even is just wrong. OP even actually says that he knows the guy and that he isn't like that at all but apparently that isn't good enough.

I mean even if we want to argue entitlement, I never used that word. I said it's clear in that picture she is being bothered. Look at the damn picture.

But yes clearly she's lying (because she has so much to gain from that) and the guy is completely innocent, and in fact the real victim, and we should wholesale believe the op that his friend (who it seems, correct me if I'm wrong here only really knows him via other people) would never say what he said, despite the fact that the idea that people are owed attention from celebs is a very common line of thought, proven by many people in this thread saying exactly that.

Amy gains nothing by lying, the guy gains everything by making himself out to be a victim of Amy.

Both the picture and the video show that his attention to Amy is unwanted. And btw given that we see a video (which is clearly edited) he didn't delete it either. And there's both a video and a photo soooo.... looks like he never respected her at all.

massoluk

Banned
I still have a photo of Neil deGrasse Tyson who went to the same gym with me that I secretly took. Feel like a creepy villain reading through this thread.... Did I break a Man Code of Ethics? (Never gonna post it online for obvious reason)

The Beard

And your characterization of this guy as a creepy douche based on this single even is just wrong. OP even actually says that he knows the guy and that he isn't like that at all but apparently that isn't good enough.

Well, according to the video he posted and clearly edited, Amy was already pissed off when the video starts playing (who knows how much of the video he cut to get to that starting point) and she immediately asked him to stop and to delete the video. To which he replied with a thumbs up and a smile while still recording, then we get an edited stopping point. So no, she didn't wait until he put his phone away.

OP: "I know of this guy through my group of friends"

Whatever OP says about his character is all hearsay, he's not even friends with the guy. He made it sound like their relationship goes as far as seeing his photo on their mutual friends Facebook page.

So yeah, not exactly good enough for me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The guy that took that Moretz photo was revealed to have been kind of a crazy stalker type IIRC.

I thought she was an Olsen twin. *screams internally about being out of touch*

I mean even if we want to argue entitlement, I never used that word. I said it's clear in that picture she is being bothered. Look at the damn picture.

But yes clearly she's lying (because she has so much to gain from that) and the guy is completely innocent, and in fact the real victim, and we should wholesale believe the op that his friend (who tit seems, correct me if I'm wrong here only knows him via other people) would never say what he said, despite the idea that people are owed attention from celebs is a very common line of thought, proven by many people in this thread saying exactly that.
This guy is the real victim. Period. And the fact that you put more weight into this single anecdote in explaining the personality of a person than the words of someone who actually tangentially knows him in real life is unsettling. He's not some kind of stalker, he's not some kind of creep, he's some guy that was out with his family, saw a bunch of other people taking pictures, and decided to join in.
Amy gains nothing by lying, the guy gains everything by making himself out to be a victim of Amy.
E-excuse me? She is a celebrity. They exist because of publicity like this. And honestly, I don't think she was "lying", I just think she made these Instagram posts in the heat of the moment and misremembered some details. People almost never remember things like this accurately. And honestly, I don't see what this guy could possibly stand to gain from this. He didn't ask for this notoriety and the only reason he even came forward with his version of the story at all was to defend himself from people like you who instantly hate him because of a single incident.

Btw notice after his "apology" he doesn't actually stop he then gives the camera a thumbs up.

Normally you don't continue and actively mock the person you're apologizing to.

I never really understand the slew of "lol" and "I'm dying here haha" and "wow lmao" posts every time that Chloe Moretz picture is posted, especially after knowing the backstory of the photographer. Shit's terrifying, I can only imagine what that kind of stuff would do to the psyche of a person.

I guess I'm of two minds about the Schumer post. Guy's actions were definitely not OK by his own admission and she has every right to be annoyed, upset, or even outraged that she can't step outside without being accosted by strangers expecting her to be game for anything. I'm also never really OK with posting some random person's picture and location and suggesting that they are a problem, especially when the poster is a celebrity with a huge follower base. I lean toward believing her interpretation of events but still think it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

This guy is the real victim. Period. And the fact that you put more weight into this single anecdote in explaining the personality of a person than the words of someone who actually tangentially knows him in real life is unsettling.

E-excuse me? She is a celebrity. They exist because of publicity like this. And honestly, I don't think she was "lying", I just think she made these posts in the heat of the moment and misremembered some details. People almost never remember things like this correctly. And honestly, I don't see what this guy could possibly stand to gain from this. He didn't ask for this notoriety and the only reason he even came forward with his version of the story at all was to defend himself from people like you who instantly hate him because of a single incident.

Touche about me saying entitled (legit missed that lol) so I'll roll with it, he is absolutely entitled, the video proves it. He doesn't apologize and turn it off, he "apologizes" and then gives the camera a thumbs up. That's not someone who is sorry. He also doesn't delete anything like she asked.

And no he came forward to get his 15 minutes. He's doing radio interviews now.

Some victim...

He would have no notoriety if he hadn't said yo that's me, fuck I'd argue he has no notoriety period, like I said people are either attacking Schumer or talking in general about respecting boundaries. Nothing is happening to him, well except getting to go on radio and talk about how Amy Schumer is slandering him.

Touche about entitled so I'll roll with it, he is absolutely entitled, the video proves it. He doesn't apologize and turn it off, he apologizes and then gives the camera a thumbs up. That's not someone who is sorry.

Some victim...

He would have no notoriety if he hadn't said yo that's me, fuck I'd argue he has no notoriety period, like I said people are either attacking Schumer or talking in general about respecting boundaries. Nothing is happening to him, well except getting to go on radio and talk about how Amy Schumer is slandering him.

You called him entitled, then denied it, now you're back to entitled. You're all over the place. There isn't near enough info to really make a judgement either way. Some of you are ridiculous.

Spinluck

I still have a photo of Neil deGrasse Tyson who went to the same gym with me that I secretly took. Feel like a creepy villain reading through this thread.... Did I break a Man Code of Ethics? (Never gonna post it online for obvious reason)

Neil still hits the gym? Dude is awesome.

Touche about entitled so I'll roll with it, he is absolutely entitled, the video proves it. He doesn't apologize and turn it off, he apologizes and then gives the camera a thumbs up. That's not someone who is sorry.
I agree that he probably wasn't sincerely sorry then, but he probably is now.

Some victim...
So you're saying that fame justifies being a victim of notoriety? That's interesting. I think I've heard that line of thinking before.
People are attacking him. There are comments on that Hollywood Reporter story you linked attacking him. You are attacking him. Him having to do damage control isn't some kind of opportunity.

You called him entitled, then denied it, now you're back to entitled. You're all over the place. There isn't near enough info to really make a judgement either way. Some of you are ridiculous.

Yep, I forgot that I did, literally missed it, which is an error on my part and I owned up to that mistake I didn't want to get bogged down on arguing entitlement (notice I never argued he wasn't entitled, just that overall I felt entitlement wasn't a key issue) because I felt everything else I had said was more important.

But since he was right and I did call the guy entitled, I opted to not pretend that I didn't think he was, because I do, and always have.

To be fair, I would go on a public area to denounce any claims of slander made by someone far bigger than me. Saying "yo I didn't do it" on Facebook or Instagram isn't going to reach the same amount of people.

But I don't think my attachment to this situation, however thin, should be counted for. Sorry for putting that in, because none of you know how well I know him and shouldn't be expected to use that to decide.

I agree that he probably wasn't sincerely sorry then, but he probably is now.

So your saying that fame justifies being a victim of notoriety? That's interesting.

People are attacking him. There are comments on that Hollywood Reporter story you linked attacking him. You are attacking him. Him having to do damage control isn't some kind of opportunity.

He wasn't notorious until he came forward. You can't be notorious when no one knows who you bloody are.

You're arguing like his life is ruined, people in here have argued like a hate mob has descended on him, not happening. His instagram is full of support. This thread is full of support.

The Fox Carolina article is full of support for him. Most comments on most articles are in support of him.

There's no hate mob being descended on him.

Btw notice I'm criticizing the things he posted? I saw this article yesterday, though that sucks, people are jerks and moved on with my life, and am only now talking about it because he decided to "prove her a liar" with things that basically support her story and more importantly because him coming forward is what got it posted here.

He wasn't notorious until he came forward. You can't be notorious when no one knows who you bloody are.

You're arguing like his life is ruined, people in here have argued like a hate mob has descended on him, not happening. His instagram is full of support. This thread is full of support.

The Fox Carolina article is full of support for him. Most comments on most articles are in support of him.

There's no hate mob being descended on him.
There's no hate mob because he came forward. He made sure to get his story out, in public, right away. Because I've seen people in his situation in the past who do what you say he should have done, namely say nothing, don't come forward, wait for it to go away, who eventually get found out by a few people and then outed later, without context, to the Internet at large. That's when the hate mob happens. When people lose control of their image.

And so we are glad this isn't happening to this guy, despite Schumer's apparent efforts to the contrary. And when we see comments like yours that seem to be suggesting he deserves to be victimized, we are understandably a little upset. Because his life could have been ruined by this.

MIMIC

Banned
Why would she complain about the guy and ALSO post his picture? Trying to rally an Internet mob is really douchey.

She obviously didn't want her picture taken, but what celebrity does? But they're not balking at all the money and perks they get from being so overexposed/highly desired.

Says sorry and then immediately does what she asked him not to...hmm and that was HIS video, why do I even care? Just leave people alone.

The Beard

Why would she complain about the guy and ALSO post his picture? Trying to rally an Internet mob is really douchey.

She obviously didn't want her picture taken, but what celebrity does? But they're not balking at all the money and perks they get from being so overexposed/highly desired.

Really? Some celebrities are really cool about posing for pics with fans. There's a right way to approach a celebrity, and there's a wrong way.

Is it that hard to realize that celebrities are actual human beings? You can't treat them like goats at a petting zoo just because you paid to see one of their movies once.

ampere

It's bad form to take pictures of people without getting permission. I know people do it all the time, example being paparazzi photos of celebrities eating, etc, but it's quite rude.

Not sure I'd agree with Amy posting that guy's photo online, but I think her general frustration and what she said is fair.

JP_

Banned
This guy is the real victim. Period. And the fact that you put more weight into this single anecdote in explaining the personality of a person than the words of someone who actually tangentially knows him in real life is unsettling. He's not some kind of stalker, he's not some kind of creep, he's some guy that was out with his family, saw a bunch of other people taking pictures, and decided to join in.

What he does in his own video is a douchey thing to do -- I don't care about his life history or if he's normally not a douche -- he shouldn't have been such a douche.

edit: and that doesn't mean Schumer did the right thing. Just because there's two people doesn't mean there's a good guy and a bad guy.

MIMIC

Banned
Really? Some celebrities are really cool about posing for pics with fans. There's a right way to approach a celebrity, and there's a wrong way.

Is it that hard to realize that celebrities are actual human beings? You can't treat them like goats at a petting zoo just because you paid to see one of their movies once.

Like I already said, they profit off of -- to take your analogy -- being treated like goats because someone paid to see one of their movies once.

I'm not saying that should be treated like goats, but they use the money they get from it to become even more popular and have no problems reaping the benefits.

JP_

Banned
Like I already said, they profit off of -- to take your analogy -- being treated like goats because someone paid to see one of their movies once.

So you think people are entitled to take pictures with her because she happens to be in the entertainment industry...?

I'm not saying that should be treated like goats, but they use the money they get from it to become even more popular and have no problems reaping the benefits.

She tells jokes on stage, film and TV for a living.

That's what she profits off of.

MIMIC

Banned
So you think people are entitled to take pictures with her because she happens to be in the entertainment industry...?

Entitled? No. But there is a reciprocal relationship going on here (that I'm sure many more will refuse to even acknowledge).

Already explained it in the last page. "I'm not taking any more photos with people because of this dude in Greenville.' followed up with his picture sounds like a call out.

I'll concede that she probably was just making an example of him to warn people not to take photos without permission. But I don't have that faith in her fans, or really any fanbases in general to show restraint whenever their favorite celebrity calls someone out like that.

Yeah, I mean, it's just common sense. Shaming on social media is always a plea for your social circle to have a face tinplate with the person you want them to lambast. Now consider that your social circle is millions of people, the vast majority of such are big fans, and it's reasonable to understand that there will be some over zealous idiots in that bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom