• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S13 |OT| Taking bets on which major character dies next...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenoboy

The show definitely got better when Christina left, such an annoying character.
I really feel sorry for Owen too, man can't catch a break.

Last night's episode was good. It's going to be interesting to see how Stephanie reacts.
I really like how the soundtrack is mostly covers for the past seasons, I kept wondering where did I knew those lyrics for the last song of the episode from and then it finally clicked that they were from The Street's "Blinded By The Lights".

The show definitely got better when Christina left, such an annoying character. I really feel sorry for Owen too, man can't catch a break.

Lots of spoilers in this post relating to Owen Hunt, for anyone that's reading this but isn't caught up through season 13.

I think you're the first person I've met that dislikes Cristina. I will agree however, Owen has been the punching bag after about the 3rd episode. It's kind of sad really - when he first appeared on the show, he was a very confident, bad-ass, military doctor. Remember when he stabbe a bunch of pigs? Over time he got neutered into someone that just seems to take shit from every person he cares about. He's lost more than just about anyone in the last 5-8 seasons. He lost Teddy because he tried to protect her/her patient when Teddy's husband died, he lost what would have been his child because Cristina wanted an abortion, he lost Cristina anyway when she left, and who knows whether he'll lose Amelia or not. This doesn't even include the backstory we've learned relating to his sister and his relationship with Riggs.

Last night's episode was good. It's going to be interesting to see how Stephanie reacts.
I really like how the soundtrack is mostly covers for the past seasons, I kept wondering where did I knew those lyrics for the last song of the episode from and then it finally clicked that they were from The Street's "Blinded By The Lights".

I've enjoyed the covers a lot. I think they started around season 9 or 10 and it has been enjoyable. Seems like most people I know disagree with this however, but I'm happy to see at least one other person is on the same page.

Deadly

50/50 on covers because Grey's used to actually pick out alot of unknown songs that were rather good.

But yeah Owen just gets all the Ls. It's kinda disappointing they went with the exact same storyline he had with Christina for Amelia...

Xenoboy

Lots of spoilers in this post relating to Owen Hunt, for anyone that's reading this but isn't caught up through season 13.

I think you're the first person I've met that dislikes Cristina. I will agree however, Owen has been the punching bag after about the 3rd episode. It's kind of sad really - when he first appeared on the show, he was a very confident, bad-ass, military doctor. Remember when he stabbe a bunch of pigs? Over time he got neutered into someone that just seems to take shit from every person he cares about. He's lost more than just about anyone in the last 5-8 seasons. He lost Teddy because he tried to protect her/her patient when Teddy's husband died, he lost what would have been his child because Cristina wanted an abortion, he lost Cristina anyway when she left, and who knows whether he'll lose Amelia or not. This doesn't even include the backstory we've learned relating to his sister and his relationship with Riggs.

Didn't think about spoilers, so I tagged it.
I think I'm also the first person that I know that dislikes Christina lol, well except my dad. He hates her.

Didn't think about spoilers, so I tagged it.
I think I'm also the first person that I know that dislikes Christina lol, well except my dad. He hates her.

Eh, generally we don't spoiler tag stuff for old episodes, but I wanted to toss out a little warning since I was covering so much in my post from so many seasons. No worries.

I feel like they're trying to slowly phase out some of the older characters—particularly Meredith. At the same time, though, if Meredith leaves, the show might not be able to recover, since all the replacement Grey sisters they've thrown at us just didn't stick.

I also didn't particularly care for Christina.

Joni

They have been bad at adding new blood though. We have four people from the first season, Hunt and Arizona from season 5, Jackson and April from season 6, Amelia and Ben from season 7. Even Jo and Stefhanie are there since 9. At the same time we have lost almost every intern from the Di Luca years.

They have been bad at adding new blood though. We have four people from the first season, Hunt and Arizona from season 5, Jackson and April from season 6, Amelia and Ben from season 7. Even Jo and Stefhanie are there since 9. At the same time we have lost almost every intern from the Di Luca years.

Ben was in season 6. Remember the episode 'Sanctuary'? When the shooting takes place? Ben was out playing golf and not protecting Miranda. That's why they broke up the first time.

To be fair, I didn't start watching in the beginning and started when Lexi was around already. Christina was a huge bitch the whole time I'd seen her. I don't know if she was better before.

Christina was a bitch the entire time on the show. That's mostly why I liked her. She only cared about surgery.

The show definitely got better when Christina left, such an annoying character.
I really feel sorry for Owen too, man can't catch a break.

Not too sure about that, a lot of these characters are either annoying (Maggie and Jo) , not enough screentime (Steph) or just there.

Tonedeff

To be fair, I didn't start watching in the beginning and started when Lexi was around already. Christina was a huge bitch the whole time I'd seen her. I don't know if she was better before.
I can see that if that's the case. Still love me some Xtina.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks these last few batches of newcomers ain't up to it. The Mercy West invasion is probably the last time it worked out it

I can see that if that's the case. Still love me some Xtina.

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks these last few batches of newcomers ain't up to it. The Mercy West invasion is probably the last time it worked out it

I think this batch of newcomers haven't been really given a chance to shine.

Murphy was fired, and gone for like 2 seasons but now is back.

Stephanie is hella talented but hasn't really had a meaningful storyline besides getting dumped at April's wedding.

Jo has had a meaningful storyline with Alex, and this whole secretly married thing seemed interesting but that part of the story seems to be dead now.

Ben had a good storyline last year going Rogue and being suspended by his wife.

There was a girl that died when Webber was electrocuted, I forget her name, but I liked her character and which they would've kept her.

Shane left when Christina left, which made sense because he wanted to study under her.

Joni

Ben was in season 6. Remember the episode 'Sanctuary'? When the shooting takes place? Ben was out playing golf and not protecting Miranda. That's why they broke up the first time.
True. Missed by a season on that.

There was a girl that died when Webber was electrocuted, I forget her name, but I liked her character and which they would've kept her.

Shane left when Christina left, which made sense because he wanted to study under her.

Gaius Charles (Shane) and Tina Marjorino (Heather) left for other shows.

Joni

They probably should've stayed. Doesn't seem like they've done anything close to the level of Greys since they left.
Gaius takes weird decisions like that. He became a theologist after Friday Night Lights which meant he couldn't come back to that show. If you give up that show to study, leaving Grey's isn't weird.

What happened to the blonde intern that came in with DeLuca? The guy. I thought he had a crush on one of the residents during a Thanksgiving episode a few seasons back, but I only just now realized I never saw the guy this season. He was never a series regular but I honestly thought he would be upgraded to one. I think he was around when Penny first came to Grey-Sloan.

Joni

What happened to the blonde intern that came in with DeLuca? The guy. I thought he had a crush on one of the residents during a Thanksgiving episode a few seasons back, but I only just now realized I never saw the guy this season. He was never a series regular but I honestly thought he would be upgraded to one. I think he was around when Penny first came to Grey-Sloan.

Indeed. He is one of those interns that should have gotten a bigger role if they were looking to make the cast younger. He still was in the season premiere this year but that was it.

bigmase84

Neo Member
How good of friends are John Legend and Shonda Rhimes? lol I swear I've heard at least 10 of his songs within the past season and the current season.

Azole

Neo Member
Meredith has been getting less and less show time. So far in this season and in the past couple of seasons, it has been more about the other characters. I am still waiting for Mer to win the Harper Avery award and for it to be a "Meredith" season...

RedAssedApe

Banned
Oh, he is back today.

there was another intern that would just randomly show up in episodes too. he ended up on arrow (ragman) but not sure if he's still on that show. at this point i wouldn't expect any interns to become series regulars and they'll just keep bringing in new attendings and hope they stick after their initial storylines run their course. been a bit hit or miss but some of them have had a good run on the show. also probably easier to integrate them into storylines.

MindofKB

I'm beginning to wonder where the show is actually going at this point. How many more seasons can they create without something major happening?

- Meredith's kids are seemingly MIA and we never see her actually balance parenting and her work.

- Owen is just a punching bag and it's becoming a chore to feel bad for him. He needs a victory or he needs to be killed off.

- Amelia is just kind of floating around, not doing much.

- Alex
doesn't seem to have any drama anymore now that the Jo situation has ended

- Bailey used to be incredibly interesting but even her trying to balance her responsibilities isn't as compelling as it once was

- Jackson and April are in a very weird situation that doesn't seem truly positive or negative. They just kind of coexist.

- Arizona could be a lot more interesting, but we don't get to see her trying to balance her workload and being a mother to her daughter on the other side of the country

- Jo
's husband resurfacing could have been the biggest storyline of the season, but I don't think he'll pop up until the finale.

Joni

Amelia is still on maternity leave. They are just doing five second spots just to show she is still around.

Yeah, something about this season is off for me. It feels like a bunch of disconnected episodes with the only significant arc being Jo/Alex but that ended very unceremonially.

Yeah, something about this season is off for me. It feels like a bunch of disconnected episodes with the only significant arc being Jo/Alex but that ended very unceremonially.

I don't think Jo/Alex is done. They are probably going to bring that when/if
Jo's husband
shows up.
I wonder if the last episode kind of works to start that storyline.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm beginning to wonder where the show is actually going at this point. How many more seasons can they create without something major happening?

- Owen is just a punching bag and it's becoming a chore to feel bad for him. He needs a victory or he needs to be killed off.

Owen should have got with Teddy. Dude has to constantly pick the girls with baggage though. Then again I guess they need drama on the show. Not that he's not without his own issues (PTSD...attacking people) haha

Multiple members of the female cast got pregnant around the same time and its reflected in the episodes (i.e. Meredith at home, Shepard hiding, and Jo suddenly disappearing from the show after being involved in a major plotline)

Nope, not with Amelia in there, crapping on Owen, when I still don't understand why he keeps being crapped on by the show.

I don't understand that either, I think he should divorce Amelia and do something else with her character.

It's drawn out at this point.

Owen's only function is to be a sad sack. Why I don't know, but seriously, go look at him in the first few episodes he appeared in - total badass. Now? Just a demoralized loser. It's sad what happened to him because it seems like 90% of his descent was due to his relationships.

Side note: a couple episodes ago, in the episode that primarily featured Jackson and Kepner, that was probably my favorite episode this season.

I remember making claims/posts in these threads a few seasons back that I was expecting to see Maggie become the new main character, with the idea that Ellen Pompeo would be leaving the show eventually.

At this point, I just hope the show would end rather than go that route. I don't hate Maggie, but she, along with Jo and Amelia, have generally turned into unlikable characters in the past season or two. Amelia is especially hard for me to admit, because I genuinely considered her one of my favorite character's from Private Practice and from her cameos in Grey's/her first full-time season in Grey's.

firelogic

Maggie definitely can't be the headliner. Then again, Greys doesn't really have one as no character is ever front and center for more than a few episodes.

I also dislike Maggie and Amelia. And Jo.

Preview:
plane crash AGAIN!? Probably just a tease and nothing happens

Ugh I hope not. After watching HTGAWM, greys needs to be revitalized.

I've been watching greys since the beginning but this show needs to trim/cut the fat. Some just need to go completely and there is too much fluff for each character to get a lot of screen time. Amelia, Edwards (who is leaving for her pilot), Jo, DeLuca, Pierce, Kepner, Riggs and the blond intern should go honestly.

Pierce and Amelia in particular because they're pretty annoying especially with their storylines and in character.

Grey's hit a series low for ratings this past week.

I can't say I'm surprised. This is the first season, ever, where I'm honestly not really enjoying myself. There are so many good plots they could be covering, but instead, it feels like we've got this weird Buffy season 1 "monster of the week" plot-string mess. Instead of any major arcs being resolved (Jo's ex, Alex vs DeLuca, Maggie/Meredith/Riggs, Owen's "dead" sister, Kepner/Avery), everything is left hanging and we get what feels like single, stand-alone episodes. I wouldn't say there haven't been any good episodes in this season; the first half of the season felt OK to me, and I really liked the Kepner/Avery episode, but otherwise, the back-half has been rough, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom