• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey's Anatomy S13 |OT| Taking bets on which major character dies next...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread will contain unmarked spoilers for Seasons 1 through 12. Please mark spoilers for all season 13 episodes.

wuYDSeN.jpg

Welcome to the official thread of Grey's Anatomy, Season 13!

*crickets*

Season 11 thread
Season 12 thread

Season 13 premieres on ABC on September 22nd, 2016. In terms of viewers, season 12 had the 2nd lowest premiere of any Grey's season (9.55 million) and the lowest finale of any Grey's season (8.19 million). For reference, Grey's had a premiere of 25.41 million viewers and a finale of 22.57 millions viewers during season 3. However, season 12 had an overall rank of #21, which was better than seasons 7, 8, 9, and 11. Also, the important 18-49 demographic had Grey's season 12 at #8... which is probably the key for keeping Grey's going into future seasons.

Only four major characters are still with the show from the original season:
Dr. Miranda Bailey
Dr. Meredith Grey
Dr. Alex Karev
Dr. Richard Weber

So if you haven't tuned in for a few seasons, well, it's gonna look a little different. Oh, and a bunch of the characters that aren't here anymore are gone because they died... so they can't come back at all. Grey's Anatomy has been killing fools since before Game of Thrones made it cool.

Feel free to join in on the new episode discussion or share your thoughts about how this show is some how still alive!

Joni

And Karev isn't even in the picture. Owen is also now the longest running character that wasn't there in the first season now that Callie is gone, Arizona debuted in the same season 5.

It is been running for 13 seasons. People are bound to leave.
Yeah I know... But hopefully not anymore.

Btw how many seasons you think GA will run?

I sense that Season 15 will be its last... Just like ER, or maybe they will expand it till Season 16 to outrun ER.

Joni

Yeah I know... But hopefully not anymore.

Btw how many seasons you think GA will run?

I sense that Season 15 will be its last... Just like ER, or maybe they will expand it till Season 16 to outrun ER.

With the current ratings I could see it easily lasting a couple more years. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still on the air in 2020.

With the current ratings I could see it easily lasting a couple more years. I wouldn't be surprised if it is still on the air in 2020.
Yeah... And now it's on Netflix bringing a lot of new comers... I don't see this show dying anytime soon.

Justin Chambers has five kids and almost no career. He also loves the show. I think he is staying on as long as he can.
With 5 kids and no career outside of this show... He is staying till the very last episode.

Roo

I expect either Weber or Bailey to die when everything is said and done.
Will add that final shocking moment missing from this series.

Oh well.. looking forward to this season. Last one was a all over the place.

Joni

I expect either Weber or Bailey to die when everything is said and done.
Will add that final shocking moment missing from this series.

Oh well.. looking forward to this season. Last one was a all over the place.

Nah, final episode will be more something like Tuck and Zola coming in as interns.

My money is on Meredith leaving. That's why they introduced Pierce, so they can have a spare Grey. That was Lexi's purpose, too, but Mer stayed, so she had to go.

Joni

My money is on Meredith leaving. That's why they introduced Pierce, so they can have a spare Grey. That was Lexi's purpose, too, but Mer stayed, so she had to go.

She had to go because Chyler Leigh wanted to take on her army of kids. But yes, Pierce is there as a spare Grey, just like Lexie was.

I thought this same thing with Pierce initially, but now I'm not so sure. However, it does feel like Meredith has had a reduced emphasis on voice overs/narrating episodes, so maybe they're heading that way.

theWB27

Damn I forgot callie was gone. I'm surprised it took this long with how much they've screwed over her character.

My odds are on grey leaving. Especially with this arc she's about to have with pierce.

There's no way avery let's weber retire. (I'd love to see how they'd write that though.)

Joni

Go deeper.
All the way to baby Bailey :p

Zola, Tuck and Sofia are about the same age. Which could lead to a love triangle, for which there is fanfiction, which has their own Wikia... But at least it has Aldis Hodge as Tuck, Emmy Rossum as Sofia and Kat Graham as Zola. I would watch this.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I love this show so fucking much
beyond happy its back
i hope it never stops

The drama last season was so superficial the worst it's been since the whole Meredith Asian chick I forgot the name by now beef went on.
Christina. The only Asian doctor in Seattle, apparently, aside from one or two no-name interns we see on occasion.

But, on that topic, with her gone and with Derek gone, there is nothing there to really anchor Meredith to the hospital anymore.

Deadly

Yooo Karev :( At least he manned up. Not another court drama, choosing sides situation again. I hope Karev makes it out of it somehow. De Luca acted scared as fucked tho

I'm glad they got rid of Callie's girlfriend cause she was booooooooooooring

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Enjoyed the return

I don't know what it is about Jackson's mum, but I find her really hard to recognise. Every time she changes her hair she looks like a different person

I haven't had a chance to watch the premiere yet! My wife wanted to watch seasons 11 and 12 in their entirety as a refresher before we start 13, but obviously that takes a while. I'm not even sure we'll see the 2nd episode of the season when it aires at the rate we're going.

Finally caught up. I feel like they're nuking Alex hard here. I hope it isn't dragged out super long - I just want him to some how get through his (rather large) mistake and get back to being cool Alex.

Kepner + Jackson working together again is nice.

Meredith and Alex has been fun.

Maggie and Riggs is sort of boring. In fact, I just don't like Riggs much yet, I guess. Also, it is crazy as hell to me to think that Maggie has been in the show for four seasons now (although only briefly in the first of those four). Feels like she's still a new character.

So, was Penny never a series regular? I thought she was upgraded to a regular last season but I don't see any mention of that on Wikipedia. I got to liking her towards the end of Season 12, but I don't miss her really now that she's gone.

DOWN

Banned
Y'all are nuts if you think Maggie is in the show to takeover for Meredith. Meredith grounds the series in the seriousness of its setting. Maggie is essentially another Arizona - capable woman who is strong but trying to embrace people whenever possible. And Maggie isn't even a Grey by name at all.

Joni

Y'all are nuts if you think Maggie is in the show to takeover for Meredith. Meredith grounds the series in the seriousness of its setting. Maggie is essentially another Arizona - capable woman who is strong but trying to embrace people whenever possible. And Maggie isn't even a Grey by name at all.
She is Grey adjacent. It is not like they can bring in the other sister Meredith has, I don't think she is a doctor.

Matt_

I know its only two episodes in and there's limited time, but why hasn't anyone but jackson and his mum gone to visit april?

Joni

I know its only two episodes in and there's limited time, but why hasn't anyone but jackson and his mum gone to visit april?
Probably becase they just don't want to show it. I mean, it is clear that Karev went in there a lot and we only saw the last time.

I used to think she was being set-up as Meredith's replacement, but now, I don't see it at all. I'd think Amelia would be the replacement at this point, especially seeing as how she is starting to enter into a stable marriage with a somewhat older man - almost parallels Meredith/Derek.

Matt_

talking of mcdreamy he is in the new bridget jones
you should all go see its great

talking of mcdreamy he is in the new bridget jones
you should all go see its great

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell...

Oh, has anyone hear read rumors that Karev is going to get his own spinoff show? The rumor/theory is based on the following:

1) Him and Jo seem permanently done.
2) His reputation at Grey Sloan seems toast even if he does beat the trial.
3) He was regulated to working in the "Duquette" clinic by Bailey.

Basically, he has a clean break from his relationship, almost no one besides Meredith has his back at the moment, and the Duquette clinic hasn't been mentioned by name in... what, five seasons at least? The theory is that he'd spin off to his own show which focuses either on his work in the Duquette clinic (which allows for easy crossovers with GA) or he'll spend some time in the clinic this season before rolling into his own or some other private practice clinic. So, basically, PP #2.

Joni

Would be strange. Spin-offs are usually set-up in the backhalf of the season so they can launch the following year.

Joni

That was a good case of the week, including some good Meredith-Rigs moments and Miranda really needing a check-up on her parenting.

It was fine as a case-of-the week episode, but I'm so anxious about Karev's story that it's hard for me to enjoy these more "filler" style episodes. A fine episode overall, but mostly forgettable long-term I'd say.

I find Maggie super annoying and damn near childish at times with how she handles certain situations.

IMO if Meredith goes then the show should end there.

Joni

It was fine as a case-of-the week episode, but I'm so anxious about Karev's story that it's hard for me to enjoy these more "filler" style episodes. A fine episode overall, but mostly forgettable long-term I'd say.
They do need to make sure there seems to be a bit of time between the hearing and the trial. I expect the result to be in the winter finale.

Joni

It is great how Meredith goes from superexcited and supporting to flat out sarcastic in a minute over the baby talk.

I'm a week behind still, so I can only comment about the October 13th episode, but man, they really put a lot of emphasis on showing the Denny Duqette Memorial Clinic. Even though it was a relatively plain episode, I'm really enjoying seeing that clinic again.

Hoping to catch up to last night's episode later on tonight. I will say, I'm getting this sinking feeling that Jo and DeLuca are going to date, which I guess seems fine, but man, all those years of Jo + Alex wiping out in one single episode (end of last season) seems like such a bait-and-switch.

joebruin

Man. Jo is super annoying. Alex needs to find a normal girl and stop getting with these crazies.

And if he can't find one is it wrong for me to want Alex and Meredith to get together? They are basically bffs at this point with most of the original cast gone or dead. :|

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Man. Jo is super annoying. Alex needs to find a normal girl and stop getting with these crazies.

And if he can't find one is it wrong for me to want Alex and Meredith to get together? They are basically bffs at this point with most of the original cast gone or dead. :|
I'm starting to think thats where they're headed after the Jo breakup. Can easily see it happen as the final story arc for the show if both actors are still on the show during the final season.

Joni

Platonic life partners, I don't think I need a relationship b between them. Stupid fun Riggs is better for that.

All caught up now. I'm seriously super doubtful that Meredith and Alex end up together in a romantic sense. It's just... I don't know, I think it's weird. I'd more likely expect Meredith to move up to Chief of Surgery/Staff and stay single (but happy) and Alex ends up with some not-yet-introduced person or an ex (I seriously still anticipate Izzy returning for this, even despite the issues with Heigl and Shonda).

But, if the show runs 1-2 seasons more we could guess... But if it runs 3+ (which isn't out of the cards) then so much will change, who knows.

I mean, look at the cast three to four years ago to now. Couldn't possibly predict all the changes.

Side note, was Arizona's only line last episode to make fun of Webber's age?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom