• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grubb Wrong Again, EA Debunks: Dead Space 2 Remake Canceled Rumor

Sleepwalker

8mbnzm.jpg

Vick

Animated GIF

Well I did my best, recommended the game (my GOTY and fucking superior Remake of that year, other than better game) at every chance I could.. something like 50 messages in here begging people to buy the masterpiece.

Because I know EA and this series history all too well..

An absolute STEAL for what's my game of the generation so far.

Please support Dead Space guys, sales not meeting EA expectations is what killed this incredible franchise a decade ago.
I surely hope so, but wouldn't bet on it.

Dead Space 2 (60M budget) was not considered profitable with 4 million copies sold.. sure sales can go up, but this is EA we are talking about.
Still unquestionably my GOTY.
Although not sure how to feel about people in love with the game asking for a sequel while playing via GP..

This incredible series was deprived of its identity and ultimately died because of unsatisfactory sales.

Hopefully that's just Grubb bullshit. I fucking need my DS2 Remake, or at the very least a decent port for newer machines in a worst case scenario.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

So you're telling me there's a chance.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It was a bad remake. Not including performance but it’s a copy paste with an uglier version of Isaac who won’t stfu.

The original was better aside from visuals.

They needed to go the RE remake route of being true to source material but different. So that both versions are worth experiencing.

I played DS remake for 2 hours and felt like I had been here and done that. Then dipped.

Vick

It was a bad remake. Not including performance but it’s a copy paste with an uglier version of Isaac who won’t stfu.

They needed to go the RE remake route of being true to source material but different. So that both versions are worth experiencing.

I played DS remake for 2 hours and felt like I had been here and done that. Then dipped.
You should have played more then..

I could never go back to the original after this Remake and the OG was like my favorite game ever when it came out. It's a colossal improvement in virtually every way and pretty much a definitive survival/action game.

The absolutely perfect, no longer linear structure alone is worth it. Bad take on the very best Remake of this Gen.

Last edited:

MacReady13

So sales matter all of a sudden? I thought it was more about how many hours people played the original and besides, don't EA have their sub service that is also included with game pass? Doesn't all this negate sales? I'm sure this is where the future of gaming is going, right? Sales mean nothing???

xrnzaaas

It was kinda to be expected when the remake showed up in 90% off sales last year. Maybe it's because the game didn't really need to be remade? (except for the controls in zero gravity) It's definitely not as old and outdated as RE2-3 or even RE4.

I'm glad I played the remake despite what I said, looked very good and the new content was actually quite nice. Didn't feel like it was forced in to make the game longer.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
You should have played more then..

I could never go back to the original after this Remake and the OG was like my favorite game ever when it came out. It's a colossal improvement in virtually every way and pretty much a definitive survival/action game.

The absolutely perfect, no longer linear structure alone is worth it. Bad take on the very best Remake of this Gen.
Tell me more.

RE redoes the whole game. What later on changes with DS?

Vick

Tell me more.

RE redoes the whole game. What later on changes with DS?
Ain't got time for a proper exploration now, but the entire game structure changed. DS went from corridor linear to entire free-roam/metroidvania, with entirely randomized enounters via intensity director (meaning backtracking/exploration is always tense), "side quests" and relative collectibles/weapons/upgrades.

RE4 is a Top game of all time for me, same was DS. Loved Dead Space Remake and would never go back to the original, while I would never play RE4R when wanting to experience RE4 and go for the RE4 HD Project 9 times out of 10.

Redoing the whole game ≠ making it better.

That’s a shame. The remake was my first time playing it and I thought it was really well done.

On a separate note, Callisto Protocol is $10 at Walmart. Is it worth picking up?
I like Callisto Protocol despite the hate. Amazing graphics and fun combat once I have mastered it. At first, I thought it was just going to be a melee combat game, but the weapons are also useful (I recommend shooting off the legs, because then you can stomp on enemies for easy kills). There are many ways to kill your enemies, so you will need to study your surroundings before each encounter and use traps to your advantage.

I wish there were more stealth segments and maybe more enemy variety, but still, Callisto Protocol gets an 8+/10 from me.

PSlayer

EA response feels like playing with semantics.

When Jeff said "Sequel was cancelled because the first game sold badly" i don't think he meant that the sequel was in active development and EA shut it down,i think he meant "any plans for a sequel were scraped off".

It feels like EA is trying to spin this as good thing.

Roufianos

Why are people pissed at EA? Are they meant to lose even more money by making a sequel? It's obvious the game didn't sell too well, blame the people who didn't buy it.

Ev1L AuRoN

I'll just shout f*ck you EA the same way I did back in the day when they closed Visceral Games. Seriously, people, shame on us not supporting this amazing game. And shame on EA not doing more to promote the game.

Nvzman

I agree to disagree, I thought the remake was far superior to original game, it managed to capture the atmosphere of the original game basically perfectly while also refining the game and massively smoothing out the jank of the original.
For example, the zero gravity sections in the original game were beyond annoying later in the game, and the turret section is infamously bad. The remake dramatically fixed both.
There's some changes here or there that I think are completely preference (like the fate of certain characters) but its a very good remake, not quite as good as RE4Remake but it did a great job wowing me. The visuals and audio design were astonishingly good, I played on PC at launch on a 4080/13700k maxed out with REBAR forced on and had little issues.

jakinov

Do we have an indication how much it sold?

If they couldn't make a profit of a short, linear corridor game where the game design is the same from start to finish then it's quite baffling.
The goal isn't simply to profit. It's to profit ejnough relative to the costs/risk. You can not make a game at all and make almost garunteed profits for the same amount of money invested for virtually no risk. So when you invest by risking $X million to make game you have a higher expectation on profit.

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
What are DS remake sales numbers until now? Too bad to read this! I made my part buying it physical full price for PS5 last year :(. And for me, by far, is the best next gen multiplattform game available (haven´t tried Alan Wake 2 yet).

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Can we just ban Jeff Grubb "reports" already? All these useless fucking "insiders" constantly making up bullshit for clout.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
It'll happen. Either a Remake and/or an entirely new Dead Space game. Just have to wait a bit longer. If not then EA needs to sell the IP or license it to a capable studio. Wouldn't mind Machine Games giving a go at a Dead Space. Something 3rd person along with FPS.

Video Game Horror GIF by Dead Space

Last edited:
Let’s be real here, it had a fantastic amount of hype post release so I will probably say that it sold well, but it didn’t sell enough to make massive profits.

Edit: clarifying here that this way of thinking is bollocks

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I didn't played it but i thought it had a pretty strong reception surprised by this news

umm,Wikipedia says the official statement is the remake did "well" within expectations

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

This was one of the few games in recent years, that didn't come out half-baked (the Dead space reboot) you didn't have to download some huge patch to download the game from day one, harks back to the days of what gaming USED to be like..

Top Bottom