• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: GSL - Global Starcraft II League July 2011 Thread

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
30552.jpg

Global Starcraft II League: July
http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors4/
TeamLiquid Wiki Page

Click Here for the GSTL Season 1 GAF Thread

The Format

The GSL is divided into two leagues, Code S and Code A. They can be thought of as a major and minor league. The best of the best are competing in Code S for the title of GSL champion. In order to reach Code S, players have to go through Code A and then face the lowest Code S finishers in relegation matches, called the Up & Down matches, to determine who will get promoted and demoted.

Code S​

• 32 players are participating
  • Players are divided into 8 groups of 4 players
  • The groups will be played out in a ‘Dual Tournament’ format, a system that Starcraft 1 fans will be familiar with
  • The 4 players of each group are split into two pairs and play each other.
  • The winners of these matches will then face each other in the ‘Winner’s match’. The victor advances to the playoffs (Round of 16)
  • The losers of the initial matches face each other in the ‘Loser’s match’. The loser will be out and will have to go through the Up&Down matches after the tournament, to determine if he can stay in Code S.
  • The loser of the Winner’s match and the winner of the Loser’s match will face each other. The winner advances to the playoffs. The loser is out but stays in Code S.
  • After the group stage is over, 16 players remain. Players who finished first in their group will be paired against players who finished second in a different group.
  • The rest of Code S is played out in a regular single elimination tournament mode
  • Ro16 – Ro8 are Best of 3. Semifinals are Best of 5. Finals are Best of 7.
  • 1st: 50,000,000KRW (~32,000EUR, 46,000USD)
  • 2nd: 20,000,000KRW (~13,000EUR, 18,500USD)
  • Ro4: 5,000,000KRW (~3,200EUR, 4,500USD)
  • Ro8: 3,000,000KRW (~1,900EUR, 2,800USD)
  • Ro16: 2,000,000KRW (~1,300EUR, 1,850USD)
  • Ro32: 1,500,000KRW (~1,000EUR, 1,400USD)

Code A​

• 32 players are participating
  • These players consist of: Top16 finishers of the previous Code A Tournament, players who got demoted from Code S, players who qualified through the preliminaries and players who have received direct seeds through the MLG league exchange or other events.
  • Code A is played out in single elimination tournament mode
  • The losers in the Ro32 will lose their Code A status
  • Ro32 – Ro4 are Best of 3. Finals are Best of 7.
  • 1st: 1,500,000KRW (~1,000EUR, 1,400USD)
  • 2nd: 1,000,000KRW (~650EUR, 930USD)
  • Ro4: 800,000KRW (~510EUR, 740USD)
  • Ro8: 600,000KRW (~380EUR, 550USD)
  • Ro16: 400,000KRW (~255EUR, 370USD)
  • Ro32: 200,000KRW (~130EUR, 185USD)

Up&Down Matches​

• Code A Winner will automatically advance to Code S without going through Up & Down Match
  • MLG Winner will receive a GSL Code S seed for the following month. (Even if the winner is a Korean player, the seed will be provided). If the winner turns down the Code S seed or is already a Code S player then the runner-up will be given the seed.
  • Code S 4th Place Players (8) + Code A Top 7 = 15 players
  • Players will be divided into 3 groups of 5.
  • One group per day will be broadcasted. Each group’s 1st and 2nd Place will advance to Code S.

• Casters:
Code S:
Tasteless
Artosis

Code A:
Wolf
Unstable
Also: Torch/Gunrun/QXC/Plus maybe more​

• Prize Pool:
HDdSC.png

• Maps:
Bel'Shir Beach
Crevasse
Crossfire SE
Dual Sight
Metalopolis
Tal'Darim Altar LE
Terminus SE
Xel'Naga Caverns
Xel'Naga Fortress​

• Code S Player List:
iauNe.jpg

• Code S Groups:
30563.jpg

*Rain Forfeits his Code S position as well as leaves the team TSL. No one from Group A will be going towards the Up & Down Matches, although only 2 will advance to Round of 16.

• Code A Player List:
648745.png

• Code A Brackets:
codeabrackets.jpg

• Schedule
D6YJd.png

• New Code A Players:
IMHappy//First time at the GSL
IMYoda// GSTL March
oGsHero//GSTL May
oGsluvsic//First time at the GSL
MVP_TAiLS//GSTL May
GuMihofOu//GSTL May
ShinyStar//First time at the GSL
NSHoSeo_Tassadar//GSL May Code A
ZeNEXPuzzle//GSTL May
MVP_Dream//First time at the GSL
LeenockfOu//GSL May Code A
choyafOu//GSL May Code A
asdfOu//GSTL February
FOXSocceR//First time at the GSL
ST_Curious//GSL March Code A
FXOSheth//First time at the GSL

• Stream:
Improved Stream Quality this season:
  • Premium
  • SQ : 450Kbps(Video)+64Kbps(Audio) / Resolution: 640x360 / Minimum bandwidth required: 550Kbps
  • HQ : 900Kbps(Video)+128Kbps(Audio) / Resolution: 960x540 / Minimum bandwidth required:1000Kbps
Click Here for the Live Stream Button

• VODs:
  • Standard quality live stream and VOD of first set of each match: free
  • Season ticket (ad supported): 9.99USD
  • Season ticket (without ads): 19.99USD
Click Here for the Schedule VODs

bn_chn_buy_2011_GSL_edit_4.gif

Premium Zone

Concept17

Mairu said:
he withdrew from TSL & GSL, he intends to join a foreign team (reign likely?)

Ahh didn't know. Maybe he'll finally learn new ways to play.

Seemed like the ST took forever long(and fairly boring). Very excited to be going back to a normal season.

jersoc

sarsAF said:
Fuuuck no Saturday games. At least the finals is on a Saturday :D
This makes me happy. Always missed it live cause of work. Also its great they improved the stream. The vods and stream are night and day in clarity.

Is there any word if tastosis are casting the team leagues nezt week?

Dooraven

hamchan said:
I wonder if GSTL being on at the same time will make Code S look worse.

Probably only the finals, GSL had some great games and some terrible games. GSTL also did (frozen v violet :/)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Man... SCII was my life when the game came out. Watching VODs every night, furiously checking in on GSL1 results, etc. I never actually played the game much (just casually). But it was the first esport I genuinely got involved in as a spectator.

But then I sorta moved on to other things. Now that it's summer I'm thinking about jumping back on the bandwagon. The metagame has undoubtedly developed so much that there's probably insane strats and openings out there, now...

Mairu

http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors4/news/65589

GSL July will be casted by the following casters:

Code S: Tasteless and Artosis
Code A: Wolf, Unstable and Guest Casters!
Up & Down: Wolf + TBA
Code S Final: Tastosis

*Tastosis will not be casting Code S Ro16 on July 12th due to their personal reasons.
*Due to the personal reasons of the casters, casting schedule might be subjected to change.
*Check later for more information about the casters!

Thank you.
GOMTV.net

Seiru

Banned
$40 for just a team league season ticket?

What the hell, I remember when it was like $7 for a GSL. I guess this is the first season I won't buy a ticket for. Jeez.

Edit: Wrong thread :(

sarsAF

Neo Member
jersoc said:
This makes me happy. Always missed it live cause of work. Also its great they improved the stream. The vods and stream are night and day in clarity.

Is there any word if tastosis are casting the team leagues nezt week?

Yeah but if there were i could be THERE live!

ultron87

Totaling up the amount of money I've spent on GSL from looking at their purchase history page was a terrible idea!

I regret nothing!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
It's getting a little annoying how often Tastosis aren't casting for some reason.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Seriously Tasteless and Artosis need to get their shit together...

Either you commit properly to commentating or fuck off altogether and do what ever other activities float your boat...

J-Rod

Indeed, I like them the best, but they need a full time replacement for tastosis. I remember when tasteless would both observe and cast on every single game of the season with SDM. Apparently they got enough money now to not give a fuck anymore, and we are lucky to get either one for just a few days a week during major tourneys. I am not going to keep buying in to watch wolf solo.

Haunted

J-Rod said:
Indeed, I like them the best, but they need a full time replacement for tastosis. I remember when tasteless would both observe and cast on every single game of the season with SDM. Apparently they got enough money now to not give a fuck anymore, and we are lucky to get either one for just a few days a week during major tourneys. I am not going to keep buying in to watch wolf solo.
Good thing Wolf is casting with Unstable for the time being!

Seiru said:
$40 for just a team league season ticket?

What the hell, I remember when it was like $7 for a GSL. I guess this is the first season I won't buy a ticket for. Jeez.
Don't forget that it's a league running for 3 months now instead of a 4 day mini-tournament.

Mairu said:
he withdrew from TSL & GSL, he intends to join a foreign team (reign likely?)
I'm still thinking TeSL. There's good money to be made there and he'd be the ace of the league.

Sblargh

Banned
First day already gone? It says 23rd there, but 18 hours from now it will be 24th? Or in crazy korea time, 18 hours from now still is the 23rd?

farnham

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
maybe artosis thinks he is beyond being replaced full time...
gimme a break

artosis and tasteless are irreplaceable for gsl

they are even huge in the korean community

gretech knows that

replacing them is an equivalent to Ongamenet replacing um jung kim

F#A#Oo

Banned
farnham said:
gimme a break

artosis and tasteless are irreplaceable for gsl

they are even huge in the korean community

gretech knows that

replacing them is an equivalent to Ongamenet replacing um jung kim

Their not irreplaceable...no one is.

Fact is Gretech hasn't really bothered to look elsewhere for more stable commentators as it probably hasn't reached a point where their absence strikes a cord but as a paying viewer I find it unacceptable that they can allow them to take time off during a period of time where a large proportion of paying viewers (including myself) buy tickets because of the casting quality when they can be bothered to work...

I could easily watch the VOD's elsewhere but I choose to support Gretech and e-sports but if they don't start wising up they will start to find similar and like minded people who are starting to get annoyed with this sub-par effort and treatment we foreigners are receiving.

I did not buy my tickets to watch Wolf and Unstable and whom ever else be paraded infront of my PC screen as if they have a clue...these people have absolutely no idea that they lack the personality to cast...the casting is shambolic and a joke...

F#A#Oo said:

Fact is Gretech hasn't really bothered to look elsewhere for more stable commentators as it probably hasn't reached a point where their absence strikes a cord but as a paying viewer I find it unacceptable that they can allow them to take time off during a period of time where a large proportion of paying viewers (including myself) buy tickets because of the casting quality when they can be bothered to work...

I could easily watch the VOD's elsewhere but I choose to support Gretech and e-sports but if they don't start wising up they will start to find similar and like minded people who are starting to get annoyed with this sub-par effort and treatment we foreigners are receiving.

I did not buy my tickets to watch Wolf and Unstable and whom ever else be paraded infront of my PC screen as if they have a clue...these people have absolutely no idea that they lack the personality to cast...the casting is shambolic and a joke...
lol what the fuck.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
F#A#Oo said:

Just so we understand, you're condoning piracy?

F#A#Oo

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Just so we understand, you're condoning piracy?

What are you talking about?

As I stated already I buy my tickets...

GOMTV are not willing to invest in a 2nd permanent casting team (they have Korean casters on rotation why not for us foreigners?)...as these so called "filling in" casters are for the majority of the time really making me want to hit the mute...why should I therefore continue to pay for my tickets when I find it difficult to enjoy?

I have written to GOMTV and they have replied to all my e-mails saying they are working on getting casters that we can be happy with but in truth is they are essentially just throwing anyone in front of the camera who is willing as these are the best they can get in Korea.

I would love for them to give us the Korean casters at this point...atleast we would get some emotion...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
jinroshinystar.jpg

Jinro...or guy I've never heard of with a 0-0 record...Jinro...or guy I've never heard of with a 0-0 record, who made it through the Code A qualifiers successfully..........

*clicks*

Mairu

I have a history of betting poorly in GSL or constantly betting against someone who ends up winning (like Bomber's first Code A tournament I think)

SO I'M BETTING AGAINST JINRO, AND HE'S GOING TO WIN.

Dooraven

EviLore said:
jinroshinystar.jpg

Jinro...or guy I've never heard of with a 0-0 record...Jinro...or guy I've never heard of with a 0-0 record, who made it through the Code A qualifiers successfully..........

*clicks*

ShinyStar beat oGstheSTC in the qualifiers and this is even without being in a professional team , so he's pretty good.

Keikaku

farnham said:
the funny thing is that boxer is doing this in enemy grounds

if he recruits yellow it will be big

Boxer and Yellow playing SC2? My life would come full circle, given that Nada is already there.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
TheCrow said:
Who would win a GSL tournament first, Yellow or Marineking?

Neither as they will always be forever second.

Seriously though I don't see Yellow playing SC2 after all of his comments so far it seems like he is not interested playing sc any more.He did say though that he will still be involved in e-sports. In what capacity though I don't know.

hxykx.gif

In other stories

Rain to FnaticMSI

Dooraven said:
ShinyStar beat oGstheSTC in the qualifiers and this is even without being in a professional team , so he's pretty good.
This information could've helped before I clicked bet 2 minutes ago...

Still, I hope Jinro snaps out of it
he won't

farnham

Banned
bbyybb said:
Neither as they will always be forever second.

Seriously though I don't see Yellow playing SC2 after all of his comments so far it seems like he is not interested playing sc any more.He did say though that he will still be involved in e-sports. In what capacity though I don't know.

hxykx.gif

In other stories

Rain to FnaticMSI
question is

will we have FnaticTester and FnaticFruitDealer ?

pieatorium said:
lol what the fuck.

I agree with him. If you disagree why not explain why instead of just making a useless post like that?

Tastosis are one of the main attractions of the GSL. Their continued absence makes it hard to justify buying a ticket to either the GSL or GSTL.

The worst part is that despite the fact that either one or both of them are missing so often they still haven't actually found stable replacements.

I still really like the GSL but i find myself tuning in a lot less when tastosis aren't around.

farnham

Banned
according to kim kayeons twitter the package yellow received was empty. boxer wanted yellow to come and get his copy in the slayers house (and convince him to be a sc2 pro maybe?)

also slayers uniforms may go to sale

Top Bottom