• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: GSL - Global Starcraft II League July 2011 Thread

Zen

Banned
Protoss are getting the shit kicked out of them by Terran 1 base all ins and struggling against Zerg, yea they definetely have it the hardest right now.

Terran is, for the moment, really almost criminally pretty in TvZ and TvP.

I don't expect TvZ to stay as it is though, this blue flame business came about as a reaction by Terrans to them getting rocked by Infestor play; Zerg need to get better about keeping their defences in place and we'll see things settle down. Part of the reason that blue flame was so deadly at MLG was becuse of how new it is and how many Zerg just didn't know the follow ups to the initial attack.

Protoss need to do something beside 'expand' when they see the terran going for the 1 base all in.

Aaron said:
Nestea is hard to emulate because he doesn't really follow a set style. He either does something crazy that wins once, or he waits for his opponent to attack, and obliterates him with a counter. That's not really something you can copy and practice in the way players normally practice builds.

I'm really talking more about the IM zerg style of getting insane amounts of drones. The only reason we really didn't see this in the last finals was because they both knew how eachother played.

Haunted

Mairu said:
Too many good players in Code A. DRG got lucky with his match. Inca going to go from Code S Runner-up to Code B. I am not very optimistic about the foreigners' chances in this Code A.
Thorzain with one tough bracket. Sase and Naniwa can't make it both to the up & downs. Either Boxer or Leenock will go to Code B.

Fate can be so cruel. ;_;

Zzoram

Haunted said:
Thorzain with one tough bracket. Sase and Naniwa can't make it both to the up & downs. Either Boxer or Leenock will go to Code B.

Fate can be so cruel. ;_;

Code A is scarier looking than any MLG.

Haunted

Zzoram said:
Code A is scarier looking than any MLG.
$1000 for the winner, $650 for 2nd place.

Code A prize pool is pretty damn thin considering the quality of players.

They should make sure more Code A players get a Code S spot without all those up and down matches.

Haunted said:
$1000 for the winner, $650 for 2nd place.

Code A prize pool is pretty damn thin considering the quality of players.

They should make sure more Code A players get a Code S spot without all those up and down matches.

Top 2 code A should auto-qualify IMO.

hamchan

They could probably make another Code S tournament with the quality and quantity of players they have, then have the winners of each tournament have an epic showdown against each other. Or just increase the prize pool for Code A because it's a joke right now with the level of competition.

I also think they should let the code B Koreans that go to MLG and place high have a code A spot if not enough foreigners want the spot.

Paches

I heard Wolf or Doa say that we could watch the Boxer vs Ultimate VODs somewhere, does anyone know if they are up or are they going to put them up anymore? It has been a while and I can't find them.

Mairu

Paches-EJ- said:
I heard Wolf or Doa say that we could watch the Boxer vs Ultimate VODs somewhere, does anyone know if they are up or are they going to put them up anymore? It has been a while and I can't find them.
I haven't checked myself because I'm not at home but you might be able to find them on their twitchtv site at twitch.tv/gomtv

Paches

On their twitch.tv site it shows this in their handy little FAQ:

2. Will VODs be available?
Yes, VODs will be made available via GOMTV.net.

So I guess I will wait or try to dig around in the site a bit more.

eek5

hamchan said:
They could probably make another Code S tournament with the quality and quantity of players they have, then have the winners of each tournament have an epic showdown against each other. Or just increase the prize pool for Code A because it's a joke right now with the level of competition.

I also think they should let the code B Koreans that go to MLG and place high have a code A spot if not enough foreigners want the spot.
Yeah they need to make Code A worthwhile for players soon. At some point I think a lot of good players are going to get discouraged after getting stuck in a Code B/A loop.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I wouldn't mind switching to a bimonthly 64 player Code S format (with group stages). There's too much depth to the player base these days. Would give GSL championships more meaning, too.

Aaron

Yeah, GSL has the odd but serious problem in just too many good to great players on their roster. When you have to choose between Cella and DRG just for the qualifiers something is messed up, though I think Cella was just trolling about wanting to get into Code A. Right out of the gate, either Boxer or Leenock is getting knocked back down. That's silly.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My biggest issue with gsl format is that its too easy to get knocked down. One bad day and you can be in code a then worse :/ I dont want MLG though where its almost impossible to get knocked down. Maybe some mix.

I wouldnt mind a 64 man code S with a larger/quicker/not broadcasted Code A (therefore foreigners can compete for a weekend etc). Maybe broadcast key code A games or something if that way.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Aaron said:
Yeah, GSL has the odd but serious problem in just too many good to great players on their roster. When you have to choose between Cella and DRG just for the qualifiers something is messed up, though I think Cella was just trolling about wanting to get into Code A. Right out of the gate, either Boxer or Leenock is getting knocked back down. That's silly.

Was it DRG that actually came and said he thought cella threw the games?

because if cella was just trolling to get up to the Code A qualie final round, lol.

Corran Horn

HolyCheck said:

because if cella was just trolling to get up to the Code A qualie final round, lol.
I dont think anyone said anything.

Cella 6 pooled DRG in the first game after telling everyone he would then next game he basically gave up, or at least it felt like that. Then interviewed DRG right after on stream.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Corran Horn said:
I dont think anyone said anything.

Cella 6 pooled DRG in the first game after telling everyone he would then next game he basically gave up, or at least it felt like that. Then interviewed DRG right after on stream.
and then DRG said he thought Cella threw it.
Jokingly I think.

Corran Horn

Hazaro said:
and then DRG said he thought Cella threw it.
Jokingly I think.
Oh. Well no one said it seriously. But then again you dont want anyone saying they threw games at all after savior lol

Aaron

HolyCheck said:

I don't remember it exactly, but DRG said he was nervous facing Cella, and then thanked him for helping him to get into Code A. The Cella game they showed before he faced DRG he was playing seriously and dominating, but his game against DRG was like he was laddering and didn't care. I think DRG is astute enough to know when his opponent isn't playing seriously.

Coaches are too busy to be active players. I'm guessing Cella tried to qualify just to see how well he would do, and he ended up doing better than he expected. Had he not sabotaged his strats, he probably would have beaten DRG. In the first game, he just needed a little more money for a spine crawler, and in the second he didn't bother blocking his ramp, and he made the drone transfer to the hidden base right in DRG's face.

HolyCheck

Aaron said:
I don't remember it exactly, but DRG said he was nervous facing Cella, and then thanked him for helping him to get into Code A. The Cella game they showed before he faced DRG he was playing seriously and dominating, but his game against DRG was like he was laddering and didn't care. I think DRG is astute enough to know when his opponent isn't playing seriously.

Coaches are too busy to be active players. I'm guessing Cella tried to qualify just to see how well he would do, and he ended up doing better than he expected. Had he not sabotaged his strats, he probably would have beaten DRG. In the first game, he just needed a little more money for a spine crawler, and in the second he didn't bother blocking his ramp, and he made the drone transfer to the hidden base right in DRG's face.

ah cool thanks for that, yes I like cella and i just wanted to hear something like this :) it's good to know he's still capable of beasting

J-Rod

I miss the open season and super tournament formats. Half the matches seem somewhat trivial, because the best you could hope for a player you're following in code A is to be able to start with some Bo1's in the real tournament next season. The super tournament makes me think the skill level between A and S isn't different enough to feel right, and it just makes you sad when a player who could win the whole thing can't because he is in code A.

I don't like the Bo1's either, since it doesn't even feel like any one player really beat another unless there is a tiebreaker. One person ends up playing a game then cooling down, and I'd rather just let them play their games for the day and enjoy a real face-off between two opponents. Now these Bo1's seemed to have been extended to the up & downs which have had some of the best match ups of the season in the past, but no more.

HolyCheck

Thought I'd post this here to get hte ball rolling on what's already rolling on the AUSGAF thread,

impromptu ausgaf sc2 night tonight!

we dont have a time yet... but loiter in the steam chat and you'll see when it's time!

saichi

syllogism said:
Code A bracket

Fruitdealer vs Maru
Banbanssu vs Ganzi
Sase vs Sniper
Check vs Naniwa

sC vs Extreme
Tails vs Taeja
DongRaeGu vs InCa
anypro vs JYP

Tassadar vs Fenix
Yoda vs TheBest
Boxer vs Leenock
Dream vs Maka

Jinro vs Lucky
Luvsic vs Jjakji
YugiOh vs Thorzain
MarineKing vs Hack

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=250875

so Inca has a good chance to be in code B after August. I think anypro too. would be very surprised if MKP joins them.

Glad to see Maka back in code A.

oGsHero didn't qualify this time? :(

Corran Horn

Zzoram said:
They need to make more maps as beautiful as Bel'shir Beach.
I cant wait for HotS. There is a snow maptile on that game. I want snow maps!

saichi said:
oGsHero didn't qualify this time? :(
He lost to...I want to say Taeja in the finals of their bracket.

Dooraven

He lost to...I want to say Taeja in the finals of their bracket.

He lost to Superstar in PvZ because he just barely missed the stack of overlords full of banelings with his Pheonix. the rest is well...

J-Rod said:
The super tournament makes me think the skill level between A and S isn't different enough to feel right, and it just makes you sad when a player who could win the whole thing can't because he is in code A.

This this and more this.

They need to expand code S or possibly mix the code A and code S at the end of the season. A playoff of sorts, this would allow the best players in code A a chance to advance to code S without going through the up and down matches.

I think the up/down matches are another problem. As others have mentioned, one day/game/misclick can cost you a well deserved code S spot. Reaching code S should be a process throughout the season. A points system would work well imo. 2 points for winning a the match and 1 point per set or something like that.

Top Bottom