• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT:HD will be playable at TGS, NOT GT5

Pimpwerx said:
This argument gets me everytime. Have you ever been in an accident? How fast were you going? How well did your car handle afterwards? I've been in a 90mph wreck, and that's with another car, not the wall. I couldn't drive 100 yards eventhough the impact was a lot less than hitting a barrier. I've been in fender benders on the street at 20-40mph where the drivers had to pull over b/c something on the suspension bent.

For so called racing fans, who the **** cares about damage models? With the exception of the actual race models, a crash of 20mph+ in a production car usually means, pack your shit and go home. Oh, and call the tow truck to take the wreck to a shop. Damage modelling in racing games is not realistic. It's cosmetic, and looks questionable at best, but it is anything but realistic. I prefer to keep it out of the wall. Maybe they should do like F1:CE and have you end about half your races (on the highest difficulty setting) on lap 1, turn 1 when you stuff it into the back of someone. Yeah, it was really fun playing with damages on in that game. :( Maybe they should include reliability as well. What about replicating turbo failure. Let's make it really realistic and have engines grenade every 5th or 6th race.

I say it every time, and I will continue to say it. Damage is for the casual fan who has the pick of the litter as far as cosmetically-quaint, technically-trash games to choose from. I would prefer Polyphony Digital devote their resources to cars, tracks and DRIVING engine. I drive, not crash. If you crash in real life, you usually end your race. The best you can hope for is losing irreconcilable amounts of time on track. I mean, that's why we all turn off the handicap, right....RIGHT??? I'm sure my opinion is in the minority, but if you played a Papyrus NASCAR/Indycar game, you've played with some of the best driving and crash physics. And if you're like me, you probably put damage down to the minimum, b/c the game can be downright depressing at full realism. Kaz can just throw in a "Game Over" screen for people who insist on pushing for crash physics. PEACE.
Booo! Hisss! Booo! ;-)

For games with licenced road cars, I agree with you. You can't Eriksson-ize your Enzo if the thing starts tank-slapping during a lap of The Ring, so really why bother? Cosmetic damage isn't a bad thing for a game like GT or Forza, it's just a non-feature in my eyes. I'll knock points off of a lot of things in GT, but having no cosmetic damage isn't one of them.

Sims with dedicated racing (or unlicensed) cars, that's a different story. I think having to manage your aggression makes for a more exciting game. If making a mistake means you end up on the side of a hill, upside down in a flaming tub (gpl), you won't be making that mistake again. :) Of course it's still not realistic, but extending the physics model to everything but the virtual soft bits inside makes for a different approach. Maybe it's just me, but I like having those consequences. It makes you think twice.

Sadly, that hasn't\can't become reality for games like GT and Forza.

I will say this though, I do think it is important for dev teams like Forza's to push the boundaries with these manufacturers though. Who knows, maybe by Forza5 or GT8 their hypersensitivity will wear out, and the pendulum will swing back the other way. It won't happen by itself, somebody has to push the envelope. If that means cosmetic damage, lost bumpers, and wobbly wheels serve a higher purpose in the long run then mission accomplished, AFAIC.

The odds are probably slim on that, but I think as devs claw back, the odds do improve if only incrementally.

If I could see into the future, and saw that today's cosmetic and light damage aren't part of a means to an end, I would want to call the whole thing off right now.

Zero damage with dev time and computational power spent elsewhere.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
plagiarize said:
damage modelling isn't useless. as long as it's EASIER to get around a hairpin by ricocheting off of the other cars, you can't say it's useless. if my car wrecks and i get a time penalty for such things, it's going to encourage me to drive properly where as in GT it's often better to bounce off other cars and walls.

i want to see something between fully realistic damage and respawning and purely cosmetic damage again. NFS:porsche had this, and it was an awesome gameplay feature. You could never total your car to the point that it was ****ed up, but you had to pay to repair any parts damaged in an accident. The game had a hardcore parts catalogue, and individual parts would get damaged depending on what happened.

Not only would a crash effect your handling and top speed, but after a particularly bad crash you'd think 'holy shit that's going to cost me'. you'd drive to save your tyres... you could usually still compete after a bad crash, they didn't penalise you so much as to make you want to start the race over after a crash, but it was a system that really worked.

GT would be a better game if it had such a system which IS more realistic than no damage at all.

What current console racing game has damage modelling that actually effects the performance of the vehicle? I think the TOCA series does, but most of that modelling I still believe is only visual, it takes alot to get your car to an undrivable stat, at least it did last time I played uh... Pro Race Driver I think it was...

i know that pretty much nothing these days does it... heck i don't know of any other game that handled it like Porsche did (perhaps Motor City?) but I do know that Porsche was a really loved game in the NFS series and that if they could do it back then they could do it now. Given how upgrades and parts work in GT it seems like it'd slot in there nicely.

Pimpwerx

Muahahaha, I see I'm not the only one getting his panties in a twist over the damage modelling thing. I understand it's a feature some gamers have wanted for a while, but I honestly don't think you guys understand why you really want it.

TBH, if PD is gonna piss off true fans like me by releasing a half-assed game like GT:HD (assuming the scuttlebutt holds true), then I don't even care anymore. They can cram it where the sun don't shine. I find that pretty damn insulting, really. But as a fan of racing/driving, I know damage modelling is a complete waste of resources. They can penalize cheaters just fine without having to spend lots of time generating cosmetic damage based on a collision.

People are gonna bitch and moan one way or another. With so much time needed to generate car and track models, I just want them to spend more time on the things that count the most. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this opinion. :)

Back to GT:HD...it would be the ultimate insult to the GT community. I've always assumed that we've been getting GT:HD as a placeholder. I thought PD was changing the underlying mechanics of the game, while transfering some of the high-resolution textures from GT5 over to the older car models to give us a taste. But never did I imagine this would be a shipping product. A free pack-in? Great. A free demo? Fine. So long as it's free, hey, go nuts. But this too qualifies as a trememdous waste of resources. Even if it means we don't get a proper next-gen Gran Turismo until 2008, then so be it. You do not sully the franchise by releasing pap like this. If they release GT:HD, I will personally push for an exodus to the Forza brand. Such arrogance/stupidity deserves to be met with gamer scorn. GT:HD will be the downfall of the franchise IMO. PEACE.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Angelcurio said:
Personally i dont want damage modelling in GT5. In real life i have been totally screwed with accidents at a mere 20 mph, and certainly while playing an Endurance Race in GT5 i wouldnt like to restart the race at lap 198 just because i crashed into a wall at 200MPH.

Make them COSMETIC!!!!!!!! Hell fake the car damage. Didn't other games do this before. WTH???

Wollan

They will probably have different settings for damage penalties, just like they got for tire/rubber damage atm.

bud

mckmas8808 said:
Make them COSMETIC!!!!!!!! Hell fake the car damage. Didn't other games do this before. WTH???

what's the use of cosmetic damage when it isn't really any damage at all?

yeah. why do anything to improve the graphics. GT would be best if there was no textures, flat lighting and 100% real physics (well apart from when it comes to whether or not the car can roll over). why waste processing power on stuff like reflections and bump mapped tarmac and stuff when you could spend it on making one aspect of the physics more realistic while ignoring every other aspect of physics?

Gek54 said:
Some level(s) of performance damage is needed for online play.
I agree with that. At least optionally. People who actually want to race cleanly need to have a place to do so. Performance damage works well as a deterrent for knuckleheads with other ideas.

mckmas8808

Bud said:
what's the use of cosmetic damage when it isn't really any damage at all?

Dude the game can't be the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Get it? They have to switch it up. I don't want a beefed up "graphics only" GT5 with online play. I want more. Feed me semore.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
megateto said:
Could you please elaborate on that one?
There's a section of the track where collision model has a problem and it's possible to drive through the wall and go outside the actual modelled track. In the demo it's easy to find, the retail game was somewhat patched up - so it requires a specific speed and angle, but it's still at pretty much exact same spot in the track.

but this time it really sound way more interesting
Well Ken is kinda infamous for some of the anecdotes - one example of stories I heard was about him serially firing a bunch of people related to production issues(around PS2 launch time IIRC), only to have them rehired later.

bud

mckmas8808 said:
Dude the game can't be the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Get it? They have to switch it up. I don't want a beefed up "graphics only" GT5 with online play. I want more. Feed me semore.

where did i state that gt5 would be fine if it were just a graphical update?

they're going to do damage in gt5 and it better be good. i don't want any of that cosmetic damage bullshit. i think forza had it and i really don't know what's the use of damage if it isn't real damage anyway.

cosmetic damage ftl

mckmas8808

Bud said:

they're going to do damage in gt5 and it better be good. i don't want any of that cosmetic damage bullshit. i think forza had it and i really don't know what's the use of damage if it isn't real damage anyway.

cosmetic damage ftl

Didn't that TOCA game do it pretty well?

If you really want to get penalized for collisions feel free to play Sega GT 2000 for the Xbox. No damage model but you have to pay repairs for every collision. I got sick of that shit real fast(that and the confusing single player mode)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
mckmas8808 said:
Didn't that TOCA game do it pretty well?

TOCA damage is mostly physical, with only extreme, extreme repeated crashes finally making the car undrivable. I know because I was pissed off one time at the shitty traction one of the vehicles I was forced to use and decided to repeated ram that $%#%$# in to the wall at high speed. ;)

Gek54

Bud said:

cosmetic damage ftl

Forza has ghost mode, no damage mode, cosmetic damage mode and simulation(performance) damage mode, which was great to have all those choices, though I would hope for more levels of performance damage severity. Also a monetary punishment should be included.

mckmas8808

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If you really want to get penalized for collisions feel free to play Sega GT 2000 for the Xbox. No damage model but you have to pay repairs for every collision. I got sick of that shit real fast(that and the confusing single player mode)

I'm not too caught up into the whole penalizing thing either. I just want a combonation of realistic physics (i.e. Motorstorm just slightly more realistic) and TOCA damage penalties like DarienA just explained.

Kittonwy said:
When did Sony officially announce they're going to release GTHD as a game?
Are you really that daft? That's like me still saying that Soul Calibur III is coming to the Xbox 360. Seriously, drop that arguement.

Insertia

I drove a car into a ditch of brush while going 45mph. On the cosmetic side I got some minor dents throughout the passenger side, busted headlight, and the side mirror broke off. Performance side, three busted tires and warped rim. Still very much drivable.

With that said, GT5 better damn well have damage modeling and physics in it otherwise Polyphony are a bunch of lazy bastards.

It's especially important in multiplayer where no one gives a crap about bumping walls (because they're going faster then a real driver would go) or coasting on other cars or taking shortcuts off the track, as long as they're in 1st.

Kittonwy

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
Are you really that daft? That's like me still saying that Soul Calibur III is coming to the Xbox 360. Seriously, drop that arguement.

??? If you want to start some FUD and take that as some kind of "matter of fact", that's your problem.

Kittonwy

Banned
snatches said:
But didn't gamespot just confirm that GTHD is in fact being released for the PS3 in this interview with Yamauchi?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6156575.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6156575

Sounds like he is confirming a release at several points here....has this been disproven?

Yamauchi did not confirm a release, the article talked about GTHD at E3, why does this need to be "disproven" when they haven't proven that Yamauchi gave any kind of confirmation to begin with?

Kittonwy

Banned
Insertia said:
I drove a car into a ditch of brush while going 45mph. On the cosmetic side I got some minor dents throughout the passenger side, busted headlight, and the side mirror broke off. Performance side, three busted tires and warped rim. Still very much drivable.

With that said, GT5 better damn well have damage modeling and physics in it otherwise Polyphony are a bunch of lazy bastards.

It's especially important in multiplayer where no one gives a crap about bumping walls (because they're going faster then a real driver would go) or coasting on other cars or taking shortcuts off the track, as long as they're in 1st.

Drivable at 100 mph with busted tires and warped rim?

snatches

It says the "tentative title" has been removed from the title, making it official. He says he hopes everyone will enjoy the game in its current form, and that in "addition" to this game, a full fledged GT that takes advantage of the ps3's specs is in development. Did you read the whole story? It sure seems like an official piece of software.

Pimpwerx said:
Back to GT:HD...it would be the ultimate insult to the GT community.... But never did I imagine this would be a shipping product. A free pack-in? Great. A free demo? Fine. So long as it's free, hey, go nuts.

How many copies did GT: Concept and GT: Prologue sell again? :D

Pimpwerx said:
But this too qualifies as a trememdous waste of resources.

Whether they make it a game or not, you're assuming this is a waste of resources based on little evidence. I know DCharlie has PD's development process all figured out, but who knows it could be just as Yamauchi seems to phrase it.

But hey, I guess its impossible they could have any work done on the real GT5 with this albatross of a high res prototype that completely uses legacy assets!

Pimpwerx said:
GT:HD will be the downfall of the franchise IMO. PEACE.

Oy vey dude. :lol

snatches said:
It says the "tentative title" has been removed from the title, making it official. He says he hopes everyone will enjoy the game in its current form, and that in "addition" to this game, a full fledged GT that takes advantage of the ps3's specs is in development. Did you read the whole story? It sure seems like an official piece of software.

According to an earlier post where someone from B3D was quoted, that GSpot translation is off. And given that Sony's own website updated after that Famitsu article was released and just lists the PS3 GT title as "Gran Turismo series" and not "Gran Turismo HD" as GSpot suggested that seems to be the case.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4149058&postcount=143

DCharlie

Banned
SSX is absurdly optimistic about everything Sony, and often tries to present his optimistic views as if with some sort of authority, but if anyone should be calling him out it most certainly is not the yin to his yang, DCharlie.

Why not? i seem like the perfect call out partner do i not?

Who should do it then?

Striek

Pfft, I don't know why its worth debating. GT:HD will be a PS3 title. Its inevitable at this point.

No biggy though, all they have to do is upgrade the road-textures and lighting and its as next-gen as any other...

Mrbob

I don't want to wade through this thread, but is GT HD adding online play to the mix?

Othewise I can just buy GT4 on PS2, run it at 720P or 1080i on PS3 and get GT HD.

DCharlie

Banned
I don't want to wade through this thread, but is GT HD adding online play to the mix?

that would obviously make it worthwhile and would possibly explain why GT Online got ditched : so that the GTHD version had something beyond GT in BC mode to make the game worth while.

And of course, it could be a budget title, it could be the "surprise" that GTHD is bundled with the machine.

But then again, Sony/Poly did say that GT Online was definitely coming out a year after GT4 came out without online, so i guess the PS2 release is just around the corner.

Striek said:
Pfft, I don't know why its worth debating. GT:HD will be a PS3 title. Its inevitable at this point.

No biggy though, all they have to do is upgrade the road-textures and lighting and its as next-gen as any other...

They should drop the number of cars and boost the way the car models look from where they are in GT4 PM's and it'd be fine. 100 cars with 20 bikes.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Gek54 said:
Forza has ghost mode, no damage mode, cosmetic damage mode and simulation(performance) damage mode, which was great to have all those choices, though I would hope for more levels of performance damage severity. Also a monetary punishment should be included.

Damage is much more severe in Forza 2, both visually and performace-penalty-wise.

DCharlie

Banned
They should drop the number of cars and boost the way the car models look from where they are in GT4 PM's and it'd be fine.

... huh? why would they need to drop the number of cars?!?

Mrbob

GT HD bundled with PS3 would be hawt.

Bundle GT HD and Eyetoy 2 camera w/ PS3, and I'll be there $599.99 model day one.

DCharlie said:
... huh? why would they need to drop the number of cars?!?

So they can boost the level of detail in the cars. GT4 had over 600 car models, there's no way in hell they'd be able to do any decent boost in detail with those (and the bikes) in such a short amount of time.

DCharlie

Banned
So they can boost the level of detail in the cars. GT4 had over 600 car models, there's no way in hell they'd be able to do any decent boost in detail with those (and the bikes) in such a short amount of time.

oh, i get you, sorry - i thought you meant number of cars on track.

If they've been working since GT4 on GT5 then perhaps dropping those models in? but then again, that would take the shine away from GT5 and seeing as this really is a stop gap release, i'd assume it's most likely they wouldn't bother.

SolidSnakex said:
They should drop the number of cars and boost the way the car models look from where they are in GT4 PM's and it'd be fine. 100 cars with 20 bikes.
You can't have 100k poly cars flying by sprites. That would be a bit jank for my tastes.

Just combine the two titles, up-rez, online, budget price. Much more effort and it really starts being a waste of time.

DCharlie said:
oh, i get you, sorry - i thought you meant number of cars on track.

If they've been working since GT4 on GT5 then perhaps dropping those models in? but then again, that would take the shine away from GT5 and seeing as this really is a stop gap release, i'd assume it's most likely they wouldn't bother.

Definetly not drop the number of cars on track, i'm not sure the exact number that were on track at E3 but I know its atleast 12. So at a minimum its double what they've been doing.

If they are going to release GTHD as a game i'd like atleast some tweaks to the overall graphics because its too obviousa s it is that its using GT4 models and such. This is GTHD

vision-gran-turismo-20060510104949416.jpg

This is Vision GT that was at TGS last year

vision-gt-20050916010824429.jpg

Now that was still basically GT4's models but with enough tweaks that it looks alot better than GTHD does.

snatches said:
Sadly, Che, this is the most definitive news we have had about Forza 2 in months.
We'd be talking about "Forza1 HD" right now if they weren't keeping their heads down and busting ass. I don't care if I ever see a screenshot. Just deliver when it counts, which is after I get it in my mitts.

Pimpwerx

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
How many copies did GT: Concept and GT: Prologue sell again? :D

Whether they make it a game or not, you're assuming this is a waste of resources based on little evidence. I know DCharlie has PD's development process all figured out, but who knows it could be just as Yamauchi seems to phrase it.

But hey, I guess its impossible they could have any work done on the real GT5 with this albatross of a high res prototype that completely uses legacy assets!

Oy vey dude. :lol
Yes, I am very much prone to bouts of hyperbole and moaning like a little girl. :( You gotta understand though, besides maybe Vagrant Story and maybe FF7, there aren't that many games I'd say I get emotionally invested in. Despite not owning GT2 GT4 (system broke), I feel like GT is my baby. I was there on launch day when it only had usenet buzz, and no one knew what the hell the game was. I even bought a Dual Analog, just so I could play it (still the best PS controller ever). So I feel like I've got some ownership of this franchise, and I'll be damned if I'll sit idley by while it's sorta driven into the ground. ;)

That said, you make a great point about Concept and Prologue. I was on hiatus from GAF for part of that episode, but I still bitched about them being cheap cash-ins. I don't believe in milking the faithful like this. People love GT b/c it's legitimately good. Stopgap releases only reduce the confidence of your fans.

Just so no one gets me wrong, I'm not gonna have a Doom_Bringer-esque meltdown or nothing. ;) But I definitely get my undies in a bunch over piddling shit when it comes to my Gran Turismo. In Kaz we trust. PEACE.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Yes, I am very much prone to bouts of hyperbole and moaning like a little girl. :( You gotta understand though, besides maybe Vagrant Story and maybe FF7, there aren't that many games I'd say I get emotionally invested in. Despite not owning GT2 GT4 (system broke), I feel like GT is my baby. I was there on launch day when it only had usenet buzz, and no one knew what the hell the game was. I even bought a Dual Analog, just so I could play it (still the best PS controller ever). So I feel like I've got some ownership of this franchise, and I'll be damned if I'll sit idley by while it's sorta driven into the ground. ;)

That said, you make a great point about Concept and Prologue. I was on hiatus from GAF for part of that episode, but I still bitched about them being cheap cash-ins. I don't believe in milking the faithful like this. People love GT b/c it's legitimately good. Stopgap releases only reduce the confidence of your fans.

Just so no one gets me wrong, I'm not gonna have a Doom_Bringer-esque meltdown or nothing. ;) But I definitely get my undies in a bunch over piddling shit when it comes to my Gran Turismo. In Kaz we trust. PEACE.

You didn't play GT4, and now you're getting your panties in a bunch at the chance to experience it in hi-res?

From what we've heard; it's more then likely, the work they do on GT:HD is work they would do internally anyway; only a few more steps required to make it playable.

If you're really that much of a fan of the GT franchise; you'd see this as a feedback release; where they can test out things like online mode and whatever else, while recieving feedback from their playerbase. Ideally, it would help the experience of GT5... and if it's anything like GT Concept and Prologue, it'll sell to the hardcore fans that gives a rats ass (i.e. apparently not you!).

If they do release GT:HD, I'll be there, even if my preference is for them to release GT5 by 2007, I'd prefer that they did a good job of it.

I mean, if they screwed up one of the games from the main franchise, THEN, it would be a big deal; it would be something I couldn't stand for.

chespace said:
Damage is much more severe in Forza 2, both visually and performace-penalty-wise.

Logitech G25 support! Do it!

Pimpwerx

Zaptruder said:
You didn't play GT4, and now you're getting your panties in a bunch at the chance to experience it in hi-res?

From what we've heard; it's more then likely, the work they do on GT:HD is work they would do internally anyway; only a few more steps required to make it playable.

If you're really that much of a fan of the GT franchise; you'd see this as a feedback release; where they can test out things like online mode and whatever else, while recieving feedback from their playerbase. Ideally, it would help the experience of GT5... and if it's anything like GT Concept and Prologue, it'll sell to the hardcore fans that gives a rats ass (i.e. apparently not you!).

If they do release GT:HD, I'll be there, even if my preference is for them to release GT5 by 2007, I'd prefer that they did a good job of it.

I mean, if they screwed up one of the games from the main franchise, THEN, it would be a big deal; it would be something I couldn't stand for.

Logitech G25 support! Do it!
I understand what you're saying, but it seems the two of us have difference principles. I don't believe in releasing a feedback release as a full game. It should be a free demo. I don't care if they have 600 cars, I don't think they should waste time on stopgaps. Put 100% effort into GT5, or get off the pot.

BTW, I didn't get GT4 or GT2 b/c my systems broke. My PS1 was upside-down and skipping heavily when GT2 came out, and my PS2 had long broken, and I'd moved on to the GC when GT4 came out. I'm just offended by the idea of tweener releases that aren't free. PEACE.

mckmas8808

SolidSnakex said:
Definetly not drop the number of cars on track, i'm not sure the exact number that were on track at E3 but I know its atleast 12. So at a minimum its double what they've been doing.

If they are going to release GTHD as a game i'd like atleast some tweaks to the overall graphics because its too obviousa s it is that its using GT4 models and such. This is GTHD

vision-gran-turismo-20060510104949416.jpg

This is Vision GT that was at TGS last year

vision-gt-20050916010824429.jpg

Now that was still basically GT4's models but with enough tweaks that it looks alot better than GTHD does.

Your right. Your are teh mans.

FightyF

Banned
GT is a driving game, not a racing game, thus damage is not really important.

But what would be important is realistic physics, to the point where you can roll or flip your vehicle. Especially when driving trucks and SUVs, it has to be in the game.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
I understand what you're saying, but it seems the two of us have difference principles. I don't believe in releasing a feedback release as a full game. It should be a free demo. I don't care if they have 600 cars, I don't think they should waste time on stopgaps. Put 100% effort into GT5, or get off the pot.

BTW, I didn't get GT4 or GT2 b/c my systems broke. My PS1 was upside-down and skipping heavily when GT2 came out, and my PS2 had long broken, and I'd moved on to the GC when GT4 came out. I'm just offended by the idea of tweener releases that aren't free. PEACE.

No, you're just been a hyperbolic ****tard when you rant on about "I'll lead a boycott myself."

I know you realise that... but I just want to emphasize it.

You say you're a big GT fan... but I don't see how a broken PS2/PS1 makes up for missing out on those games... how hard can it be to buy another one? Especially when at that point in time, the respective systems were already at mass market prices.

You're as bad as Isamu; hyping the hell out of something only to not bother getting it himself.

Top Bottom