• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT:HD will be playable at TGS, NOT GT5

They'll just show GT5. You might as well just ignore that entire translation from GSpot as there's no telling how much of it was translated right. They had 2 cars completed last year and by the time TGS arrives it'll be around a year since then. So they should have enough to show, whether its 1 demo course or just a short trailer of it they should have something.

Wii: Releasing rehashed last gen games to the public

Fanboys: OMG DAY 1 PURCHASE FAP FAP FAP

Sony: Showing a last gen game with improved tech, not even trying to re-sell it.

Fanboys: SONY WE DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS, BLAH BLAH

Some of you people are so blind its ridiculous.

Stevie-Wonder-As-A-Child.jpg
Stevie%20Wonder.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
heh. Well as long as they don't intend to sell it I don't care! I'm just impatient, GT4 Portable don't exist anymore apparently and GT5 is probably my top reason to buy a PS3 and they haven't really shown it yet. This GTHD shit just feels like a waste of time.

Not going to comment on the Wii shit, except to say I hope Nintendo starts revealing sequels to Gamecube games that weren't lame.

megateto

Animal said:
Also, Please get rid of the blender/power drill/grass trimmer thing you'r using to make engine sounds and do what everyone else is doing, GET THE REAL SOUNDS ok? The sounds in PGR3 are quite impressive and make the experience much much much more enjoyable. I like to hear my ferrari whine, i like to hear my mercedes rumble. I like to hear the car slicing through the air. I want to hear the tires flex under hard braking. I want to hear the car rattle. I want to hear the driver shifting and hitting the pedals.
Actually, if you guys were really the pinnacle, you would record the transmission whinning seperately from the engine note and use them both seperately in game. I'd also like to hear the driver breathing heavily when the driving gets a bit crazy and on the edge or when i crash. How about having the drivers ahead of you looking in their mirrors once in a while to see who's behind them?

You look like the Molyneaux of driving games, pal.

Great ideas.

Animal

Banned
megateto said:
You look like the Molyneaux of driving games, pal.

Great ideas.

Thank you for the kind words but I believe I'm only expressing what every gaming automobile enthusiast wants to experience in a real driving simulator. We have the technology gentlemen.

The only thing they should be able to get away with this gen is not having the smells associated with racing (burnt rubber, exhaust, brake dust, grass, dirt, oil, coolant...even sweat) :lol
We should have smell generators by PS6 :D

Animal said:
Thank you for the kind words but I believe I'm only expressing what every gaming automobile enthusiast wants to experience in a real driving simulator. We have the technology gentlemen.

Most of what you're talking about is really attention to detail. That's something that Polyphony would most likely be the one to do, but you never know if they'd do it. It'll be interesting to see what they do with GT5. The first game of the gen with the series is the bigger jump. The addition of damage modeling will be a big step forward for the series. Yamauchi really seems excited about what he'll be able to do on the PS3 moreso than he was with the PS2 when it was comign up.

Someone GTPlanet translated some of the text from the Famisu and it says this about the PS3 version GT

Yamuachi comments that his goal is not an expansion of the Gran Turismo world, but an explosion.

Gherkin

Banned
artful_dodger said:
Wii: Releasing rehashed last gen games to the public

Fanboys: OMG DAY 1 PURCHASE FAP FAP FAP

Sony: Showing a last gen game with improved tech, not even trying to re-sell it.

Fanboys: SONY WE DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS, BLAH BLAH

Some of you people are so blind its ridiculous.

Stevie-Wonder-As-A-Child.jpg
Stevie%20Wonder.jpg

I think people are upset that it would appear that GT5 isnt coming anytime soon.

Zaptruder

Banned
Amir0x said:
heh. Well as long as they don't intend to sell it I don't care! I'm just impatient, GT4 Portable don't exist anymore apparently and GT5 is probably my top reason to buy a PS3 and they haven't really shown it yet. This GTHD shit just feels like a waste of time.

Not going to comment on the Wii shit, except to say I hope Nintendo starts revealing sequels to Gamecube games that weren't lame.

Well, the longer it takes them to put out GT5, the more likely you'll pick up the PS3 at a price accomodating to your needs!

Personally I do hope they do GTHD, so they can use it as a testbed w/ feedback for the stuff going into GT5. Hell, I hope they do it anyway, just to stave off GT fever for a while, even if it does mean delaying GT5 a little bit.

Gherkin said:
I think people are upset that it would appear that GT5 isnt coming anytime soon.

From Gamespot bad translation it would appear that way. But reality points in a different direction than that.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So in other words Gamespot f'd up the translation and its really not a game just as Kaz said back a few months ago?

People in the gaming media should STOP injecting their own speculations into a translated article, REPORT news as is, not mix news with opinions and then present the whole thing as a news article.

Animal

Banned
Animal said:
I have said it many times before and I'll say it again. PD needs to get their act together and fast. I am a huge Gran Turismo fan. I play their games almost every day. I used to think that they had the physics down until I got a 360 and pgr3. There is a KEY difference in the driving physics in the two games and that is cornering speed. In GT physics, you are either braking or your are on the throttle there is no "I have the right speed already and i'm just going to coast through so i can get on the trottle early" like in PGR3. PGR3 really got that feeling right though i feel it might be a bit on the forgiving side. GT is just a nonstop orgy of gas/brake/gas/brake/gas...and so on. I have spent some time comparing both games in driving physics and I have come to this conclusion. If i try to coast into a turn at what should be the correct speed, the GT cars tend to understeer and only correct themselves if i get on the throttle or slow down even more. To coast into the turn in GT, I must slow down to a speed much slower than what the car can actually do. It's as though the weight displacement in the cars in GT has too great an effect than should be.

That is my main squabble with the GT driving. They have some catch-up to do with respect to PGR3 in driving physics which i never thought i'd ever say. I always thought GT was the pinnacle of automobile racing simulations.

Side notefor GT5: PD, nobody wants to tilt the bloody controler to steer the car so don't even think about it.
Also, Please get rid of the blender/power drill/grass trimmer thing you'r using to make engine sounds and do what everyone else is doing, GET THE REAL SOUNDS ok? The sounds in PGR3 are quite impressive and make the experience much much much more enjoyable. I like to hear my ferrari whine, i like to hear my mercedes rumble. I like to hear the car slicing through the air. I want to hear the tires flex under hard braking. I want to hear the car rattle. I want to hear the driver shifting and hitting the pedals.
Actually, if you guys were really the pinnacle, you would record the transmission whinning seperately from the engine note and use them both seperately in game. I'd also like to hear the driver breathing heavily when the driving gets a bit crazy and on the edge or when i crash. How about having the drivers ahead of you looking in their mirrors once in a while to see who's behind them?

Oh ya, one more thing, get your AI right before doing anything else. I dont care if the game turns out looking like gt4, i want to race, i dont want to drive around brainless obstacles.

There I think I'm done. I feel much better now.

Somebody hire this man, he'll give you your Gran Turismo killer. (*cough cough chespace cough cough)

shpankey

not an idiot
Animal said:
Actually, if you guys were really the pinnacle, you would record the transmission whinning seperately from the engine note and use them both seperately in game. I'd also like to hear the driver breathing heavily when the driving gets a bit crazy and on the edge or when i crash.
while i agree with you about Gran Turismo having absolutely horrid engine sounds, that sound like a weed eater, i will say that simply recording real life engine sounds will NOT solve the problem. in fact, i believe GT does just that. you simply just can't place real life sounds into a game and have it translate over 1 to 1. pgr3 proves this. listen to their sample sounds (ie: real life recordings) then listen to the game, they sound nothing alike. and while pgr3 does indeed sound 10x better than Gran Turismo, they are far from being lifelike.

the thing is, just like a graphics "engine" there is a sound "engine" in racing games that tries to simulate real life, and unfortunately, their just isn't very many good programmers that know how to make a good sound engine. the last good one i heard was from the Papyrus developers [PC devs who made grand prix legends and the awesome nascar games].

anyhow, i, like you, hope someday someone would learn to get this right. i don't care how pretty the graphics or how real the physics, until the sound of the engines gets a lot better, racing games will never get that adreniline pumping feeling you get in real life.

a long time ago i made some sound packs for GPL and Nascar Racing 2003 Season that i gave out to the community that made those two games sound absolutely incredible. it would get your blood pumping and adreniline flowing when racing. hell, i used to just drive around the track and run the RPM's really hard and then let off just to hear that engine sound, man o man, talk about awesome. :)

As far as engine sounds go, devs need to figure out what the hell EA does with NFS to get their engines sounding as good as they do.

PS2 is just horrible hardware. They probably compromised sound quality to get 60 FPS and other things.

Better sound quality will come with better hardware

Animal

Banned
shpankey said:
while i agree with you about Gran Turismo having absolutely horrid engine sounds, that sound like a weed eater, i will say that simply recording real life engine sounds will NOT solve the problem. in fact, i believe GT does just that. you simply just can't place real life sounds into a game and have it translate over 1 to 1. pgr3 proves this. listen to their sample sounds (ie: real life recordings) then listen to the game, they sound nothing alike. and while pgr3 does indeed sound 10x better than Gran Turismo, they are far from being lifelike.

the thing is, just like a graphics "engine" their is a sound "engine" in racing games that tries to simulate real life, and unfortunately, their just isn't very many good programmers that know how to make a good sound engine. the last good one i heard was from the Papyrus developers [PC devs who made grand prix legends and the awesome nascar games].

anyhow, i, like you, hope someday someone would learn to get this right. i don't care how pretty the graphics or how real the physics, until the sound of the engines gets a lot better, racing games will never get that adreniline pumping feeling you get in real life.

I was under the impression that they record the sound at a specific rpms and create algorithm which will mutate the sounds from one recorded point to another(higher or lower rpm). I always thought that was their method. I'm gonna go scavenge around the net to try and learn more about how exactly they do this.

Angelcurio

Crap, i almost wet my pants after seeing that Vision Gran Turismo Trailer. That would be incredible if they manage to achieve that goal. 16 cars looks more like a racer, 6 cars is just too low for an exciting competition.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Animal said:
Also, Please get rid of the blender/power drill/grass trimmer thing you'r using to make engine sounds and do what everyone else is doing, GET THE REAL SOUNDS ok? The sounds in PGR3 are quite impressive and make the experience much much much more enjoyable. I like to hear my ferrari whine, i like to hear my mercedes rumble. Actually, if you guys were really the pinnacle, you would record the transmission whinning seperately from the engine note and use them both seperately in game.

Forza 2 features all real engine/exhaust sounds recorded under load running on a dyno, real loss of traction sounds from skid recordings, real collision sounds from real crashes we conducted (on a variety of materials including carbon fiber), real scrape noises recorded grinding the car up against railings, tirewalls, and other materials, as well as real turbos, superchargers and transmission recordings. As a matter of fact, some of the same folks who worked on audio for PGR3 are also doing so for Forza 2. ;)

shpankey

not an idiot
Doom_Bringer said:
PS2 is just horrible hardware. They probably compromised sound quality to get 60 FPS and other things.

Better sound quality will come with better hardware
while that's true to a degree... that's not been the problem with engine sounds in racing games. the problem is just having designed shitty "sound engines" to replicate engine sounds. i can prove this by having you play the super duper old Grand Prix Legends on the PC with a Pentium 200 mHz with a Voodoo 1 card and simply add on my Sound Pack. It blows away any other racing game's sounds I've ever heard.

Again, it has more to do with a games Sound Engine that they developed than anything else. I used to have an old program from a long time ago that was a 2d application that was a sound engine that the developers were trying to sell to 3rd party devs, and it was really impressive. Unfortunately, it never took off. But it also proves my point.

chespace said:
Forza 2 features all real engine/exhaust sounds recorded under load running on a dyno, real loss of traction sounds from skid recordings, real collision sounds from real crashes we conducted (on a variety of materials including carbon fiber), real scrape noises recorded grinding the car up against railings, tirewalls, and other materials, as well as real turbos, superchargers and transmission recordings. As a matter of fact, some of the same folks who worked on audio for PGR3 are also doing so for Forza 2. ;)
That's great, but Gran Turismo did this as well. And while I like the PGR3 sounds a helluva lot better than GT, they are nowhere near real life. A lot of cars in this game sound like shit, even blender like [try the Lambo's, ugh]. Your sample sounds is only one [small] part of the equation. In my sound packs I made for GPL and NR03S, I used some sample sounds from shit you wouldn't believe. In fact, I found that in many cases, real life car sounds were a lot worse.

It's all about the sound engine that the game uses. Not the samples.

Animal

Banned
chespace said:

You sir have made my day.

EDIT:
Just a friendly suggestion: The controls regarding the left thumbstick are way way way too twitchy in PGR3. The perfect feeling would be halfway between GT and PGR3 controls. PGR3 gives the cars a nice feeling of weight displacement but it isn't precise enough. I find myself not being able to get the perfect line even when driving in a straight line in PGR3, GT gives makes it a bit too easy to adjust my racing line even in hairy situations. The perfect feel would be somewhere between the two but a bit more on the GT side of things.

Ceb

SolidSnakex said:
Someone GTPlanet translated some of the text from the Famisu and it says this about the PS3 version GT

Yamuachi comments that his goal is not an expansion of the Gran Turismo world, but an explosion.

Heh. Kaz has always been cocky. I hope he'll live up to all of his own expectations this time. :D

chespace

shpankey said:
That's great, but Gran Turismo did this as well. And while I like the PGR3 sounds a helluva lot better than GT, they are nowhere near real life. A lot of cars in this game sound like shit, even blender like, in the game.

They recorded a limited number of engines with the cars parked in neutral. You're going to get a different engine note than you would with the stress of load on a running motor. And collision sounds? What collisions?

Someday, I will show you guys the video I took of all these audio sessions. Amazing to see a car go from 65 to 0mph in less than a second. :)

Gek54

chespace said:
They recorded a limited number of engines with the cars parked in neutral. You're going to get a different engine note than you would with the stress of load on a running motor. And collision sounds? What collisions?

Someday, I will show you guys the video I took of all these audio sessions. Amazing to see a car go from 65 to 0mph in less than a second. :)

Less than a second? Wheres the stress?

shpankey said:
It's all about the sound engine that the game uses. Not the samples.

Interesting. These second generation next gen games should have really great sound engines IMO. With nice dynamic occlusion properties, 64 or more channels.. you know all the frame work for a nice beefy sound engine.

I am not worried one bit

Ceb said:
Heh. Kaz has always been cocky. I hope he'll live up to all of his own expectations this time. :D

I think its a good thing he's like that though. People have accused GT4 of being nothing more than an expansion to GT3 and now some are thinking GTHD is real. GT5 will likely be the biggest change the series has seen since its started going by everything Kaz has said.

shpankey

not an idiot
chespace said:
yeah i know, but that sample sound they recorded is just one sound, at one point. the sound engine that the game uses has to take that sound and extrapolate it out to all the different RPM's. and that's what i was talking about how the sound engine is much, MUCH, more important than the sample. and to tell you the truth, the sound engine in pgr3 still needs a lot of work. yes, it's a lot better than other racing games on consoles, but that's not saying much, as they are all just awful.

but don't mind me, i've been bitching about this for years and years and it's a personal pet peeve of mine. so don't take my ranting the wrong way. i love pgr3.

Animal

Banned
shpankey said:
(...) A lot of cars in this game sound like shit, even blender like [try the Lambo's, ugh]. Your sample sounds is only one [small] part of the equation. (...) In fact, I found that in many cases, real life car sounds were a lot worse. (...)

A Gallardo ripping first gear is easily one of the greatest street legal automotive symphonies I have ever experienced. You're probably referring to older models though the Miura has a beautiful sound.
I have yet to notice a game version of a car sound better than in real life. Can you remember any examples I can look up?

Zaptruder

Banned
Animal said:
Oh man you're a quick one.
/sarcasm

So that's how you're going to be about it huh?

PGR3 is far far from accurate as a racing sim. It's definetly leaning more on the arcade side of things. Real racing is all about taking the highest exit speed out of corners; and that's best achieved in nearly all cars (on a normal track) by maintaining grip on the wheels, while accelerating out of the corner, not drifting around the corners at 200km/h.

So instantly, your opinions are struck out by your own ignorance. GT4 isn't the most accurate racer in the world, but it still does do a relatively good job of things, and definetly still compares favourably to PGR3 in terms of accurate handling. Now, if you want a game to feel like PGR3, then GT isn't for you; it's not about semi-plausible, but really actually arcadish style driving mechanics; it's definetly more about simulating a wide variety of real world cars and vehicles as best as possible.

I won't comment on what you said about AI; except to say that, it's pretty shallow that you can't appreciate just driving around the track to get better times (which is GT4 in its strongest form)... which is interesting, because PGR3 is at least in part a lot about that kind of stuff (driving around the track to meet challenges; not just racing other vehicles).

Also from the sounds of things, you haven't bothered to pick up a FF wheel... if you really did love driving games and wanted to appreciate them as a simulation rather than an arcade game, then it would be a given. Well, in that case, GT5 will do it's best to please as it will no doubt have support for Logitech's new G25 wheel (leather bound, solid metal steering wheel and pedals, as well as a seperate 6 speed gear shift unit... of course, 900 degrees turning and FF too).

As for the sound; it's flat because of the way they've recorded the sound.

Also PGR3 has great sound, not because it's accurate to the cars, but because it has positional audio; rear engine cars have the engine sounds coming from the rear (if you have a 5.1 setup), while bumps/grills on the road has a very convincing passing underneath you effect.

I'd think with the PS3's increased power, they'll be able to incorporate those elements much more easily then in previous GT games.

As long as they go to the effort of recording the sounds properly this time; with the cars running on dynos; allowing them to rev the car up through the gears and not just in neutral, things will be good.

In short, nobody should listen to your rantings.

shpankey

not an idiot
Animal said:
A Gallardo ripping first gear is easily one of the greatest street legal automotive symphonies I have ever experienced. You're probably referring to older models though the Miura has a beautiful sound.
I have yet to notice a game version of a car sound better than in real life. Can you remember any examples I can look up?
I don't find the engine sound of the Gallardo that impressive at all in pgr3, though I like to race with that car. I just got a 12th in the world the other day in that car I think on the NY track.

Anyhow, I don't understand that last question. I never said a game sounded better than real life, in fact I've been saying just the opposite. What I was talking about, that I think you misunderstood, was a Sound Pack I made for Grand Prix Legends. Using the game's sound engine, I just went out and found/created a bunch of new sound samples. You see, the game used one sound engine for all the cars, but it used a different sound sample (a sample is just a short, 1 second recording of a sound that the game plugs into it's sound engine to create the engine sounds for that car, in the game]. What I was saying was, I found that a lot of "real life" car samples sucked. That in fact using other samples [for example I used an impact drill sample for one car] translated a lot better in the game. So my point was that using real life samples really doesn't amount to squat other than bragging rights. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it's all about the sound engine that has been developed for the game, not the sound samples.

shpankey

not an idiot
Zaptruder said:
I won't comment on what you said about AI; except to say that, it's pretty shallow that you can't appreciate just driving around the track to get better times (which is GT4 in its strongest form)... which is interesting, because PGR3 is at least in part a lot about that kind of stuff (driving around the track to meet challenges; not just racing other vehicles).
Hmm.. I dunno about that. PGR3 is designed for you to have a good race no matter what car you use [If you pick a faster car, so does the AI]. When I put it on Platinum, I have a lot of fun racing the other cars.

Zaptruder said:
As for the sound; it's flat because of the way they've recorded the sound.

As long as they go to the effort of recording the sounds properly this time; with the cars running on dynos; allowing them to rev the car up through the gears and not just in neutral, things will be good.
No on both counts. See everything I wrote above.

chespace

Gek54 said:
Less than a second? Wheres the stress?

I'm talking about 65 to 0 mph in terms of a collision. The impact sound is harrowing and traumatic. Whenever I crash into a wall in Forza 2, it reminds me of being at the crash site where we did our recordings. :)

Also, here is the story of the Lambo Murcielago we recorded, with pictures and sound mp3s:

http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/dyno/dyno03.htm

Zaptruder

Banned
shpankey said:
No on both counts. See everything I wrote above.

chespace said:
They [PD on GT4] recorded a limited number of engines with the cars parked in neutral. You're going to get a different engine note than you would with the stress of load on a running motor. And collision sounds? What collisions?

I'm primarily going of the word of Che; I know what both of you said aren't mutually exclusive things, but at this point, unless you have some sort of credentials to back you up, I'm going to have to say that samples are still a pretty damn important part of how good the overall sounds are; something even the perfect sound engine won't be able to get away without (ok, not the *perfect* one, but as good as you'd get for a console at this time).

I mean, if they take they record the sound of the engine, from 0 to redline in all gears (as opposed to GT's neutral gear), there's much less extrapolation for a 'sound engine' to do; it doesn't have to guess the sound at a certain RPM and gear; because it'll have it on file!

shpankey

not an idiot
Zaptruder said:
I'm primarily going of the word of Che; I know what both of you said aren't mutually exclusive things, but at this point, unless you have some sort of credentials to back you up, I'm going to have to say that samples are still a pretty damn important part of how good the overall sounds are.
Yes, of course they are. But what I said is that "real life" sound samples don't translate to a game 1 to 1; and that the sound engine that a game uses is much more important. You can't just record a car and plug it in the game and expect the game to sound just like your recording. It doesn't work that way.

But of course a sample is important.... it can make a huge difference. Which is why I made sound packs for those other games. But I also found that sometimes using other sounds translated better into [that particular] game. It all depends on their sound engine as to what sounds best, most accurate. If they designed their sound engine around those particular samples (which is what I'm betting they did) then they have a better chance to sound accurate. But their sound engine is what will make the game's engine sounds good or just ok, not the samples they recorded.

Animal

Banned
Zaptruder said:
So that's how you're going to be about it huh?

PGR3 is far far from accurate as a racing sim. It's definetly leaning more on the arcade side of things. Real racing is all about taking the highest exit speed out of corners; and that's best achieved in nearly all cars (on a normal track) by maintaining grip on the wheels, while accelerating out of the corner, not drifting around the corners at 200km/h.

Oh god, proof in itself you failed to read my previous posts in this thread . I never mentioned drifting once. Your first paragraph fails already. Read my earlier posts please.
Also not once did i mention anything to do with drifting. I am talking about cornering grip and always have. You think i drift through my corners hand brake pgr3 style? You must be daft. You clearly arn't understanding the very precise remarks regarding handling in both games. GT is clearly better overall but I pointed out that PGR3 does one thing better than GT in the handling department. Go read it if you want to find out.

Zaptruder said:
So instantly, your opinions are struck out by your own ignorance. GT4 isn't the most accurate racer in the world, but it still does do a relatively good job of things, and definetly still compares favourably to PGR3 in terms of accurate handling. Now, if you want a game to feel like PGR3, then GT isn't for you; it's not about semi-plausible, but really actually arcadish style driving mechanics; it's definetly more about simulating a wide variety of real world cars and vehicles as best as possible.

READ MY PREVIOUS posts again. You're ignorance by posting such things after I have already cleared this several posts before proves to be the clear winner. GT is my favorite game period. I have already stated that several times on this board. I don't understand where you're presumptions are coming from. I must of really struck a cord with that little drop of sarcasm huh? Thank you so much for letting us know that GT series is about "simulating a wide variety of real world cars and vehicles as best as possible". You fail again.

Zaptruder said:
I won't comment on what you said about AI; except to say that, it's pretty shallow that you can't appreciate just driving around the track to get better times (which is GT4 in its strongest form)... which is interesting, because PGR3 is at least in part a lot about that kind of stuff (driving around the track to meet challenges; not just racing).

I am pretty confident in saying that my real life track time is much greater than yours. I spend most of my time carving out seconds on my laptimes than anything else on GT. Nice presumption. That one fails too.

Zaptruder said:
Also from the sounds of things, you haven't bothered to pick up a FF wheel... if you really did love driving games and wanted to appreciate them as a simulation rather than an arcade game, then it would be a given. Well, in that case, GT5 will do it's best to please as it will no doubt have support for Logitech's new G25 wheel (leather bound, solid metal steering wheel and pedals, as well as a seperate 6 speed gear shift unit... of course, 900 degrees turning and FF too).

Thats right, I said I wouldn't dish out 179.99 for a bloody gaming steering wheel when i can crab my keys and jump in the cars we already own. I have had several hours with the logitech GT wheel and i liked it, i was able to bring my laptimes to almost exactly what i get with my dualshock2. I dont know what your point was, so i'll spare you a fail on this one.

Here's one of my previous posts that you somehow forgot you read that should answer most of your questions/presumtions:

link

Animal said:
Luckyman said:
What? I don't think so.

PGR3 is complete arcade. GT not so much.

Yes I am very aware of that and thats why I why I am very bothered by what I have come to realise. Yes PGR3 is more fun/arcadey, but it made me realise what was missing in GT physics: Cornering grip.

Zaptruder said:
Get yourself the DFP Pro wheel and learn to drive.

PGR3 uses arcadey mechanics. Gran Turismo, for all its flaws is much more of a simulator then PGR3 ever will be (at least the driving model), both in intent and execution.

I am not dishing 179.99+tx for a video game steering wheel. Sorry, ill just grab the keys to the cars we own and I'll go for the real deal (which arn't your average car I might add but I dont wan't to get into that here). I doubt I need to learn to drive given my experience. I karted growing up in all types of karts including 125cc rotax shifter karts. I participate in all kinds of track events here in Quebec due to my dads previous job and his contacts. I dont want to get into details cauz its way off subject but i felt i needed to give my opinion some credibility. If you wanna know more, just pm me.

Yes, as i stated in the beginning of this post, I am very aware of the intent and execution of GT and PGR3. That is why I bother to make such a long post because it bothers me quite a bit.

Animal

Banned
shpankey said:
I don't find the engine sound of the Gallardo that impressive at all in pgr3, though I like to race with that car. I just got a 12th in the world the other day in that car I think on the NY track.

Anyhow, I don't understand that last question. I never said a game sounded better than real life, in fact I've been saying just the opposite. What I was talking about, that I think you misunderstood, was a Sound Pack I made for Grand Prix Legends. Using the game's sound engine, I just went out and found/created a bunch of new sound samples. You see, the game used one sound engine for all the cars, but it used a different sound sample (a sample is just a short, 1 second recording of a sound that the game plugs into it's sound engine to create the engine sounds for that car, in the game]. What I was saying was, I found that a lot of "real life" car samples sucked. That in fact using other samples [for example I used an impact drill sample for one car] translated a lot better in the game. So my point was that using real life samples really doesn't amount to squat other than bragging rights. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it's all about the sound engine that has been developed for the game, not the sound samples.

I was referring to the real world gallardo. Ah i missunderstood your point.

Animal

Banned
chespace said:
I'm talking about 65 to 0 mph in terms of a collision. The impact sound is harrowing and traumatic. Whenever I crash into a wall in Forza 2, it reminds me of being at the crash site where we did our recordings. :)

Also, here is the story of the Lambo Murcielago we recorded, with pictures and sound mp3s:

http://forzamotorsport.net/devcorner/dyno/dyno03.htm

Question: how did you guys keep the sound of the dyno's out of your samples? Especially in the 4 wheel drive cars. Did you guys use the dynos that you just roll your car up on? or did you put it on the ones that bolt themselves directly to the wheel hub? Cauz there's tire noise and such also. lol sorry for the interview, im just very curious.

shpankey

not an idiot
Zaptruder said:
I mean, if they take they record the sound of the engine, from 0 to redline in all gears (as opposed to GT's neutral gear), there's much less extrapolation for a 'sound engine' to do; it doesn't have to guess the sound at a certain RPM and gear; because it'll have it on file!
I didn't catch this before, but is this how Che is saying it works in their game? I've never heard of such a thing. If they can do this, then great, more power to them, but AFAIK, that's not how it works in a game. You can't just plug it in there 1 to 1. You have to have a sound engine to drive the sound samples to replicate an engines sound.

p.s. It certainly didn't do it that way in PGR3, and he mentioned they are using the same sound guys from that game.

Zaptruder

Banned
My apologies Animal; I did miss a bit of the thread and indeed your reply to a remark I forgot I made. But I commented on your post in the context of itself; and it's not immediately apparent what exactly you were making the comparison to (i.e. that you were talking specifically about cornering grip characteristics, rather than just general handling characteristics).

Zaptruder

Banned
shpankey said:
I didn't catch this before, but is this how Che is saying it works in their game? I've never heard of such a thing. If they can do this, then great, more power to them, but AFAIK, that's not how it works in a game. You can't just plug it in there 1 to 1. You have to have a sound engine to drive the sound samples to replicate an engines sound.

p.s. It certainly didn't do it that way in PGR3, and he mentioned they are using the same sound guys from that game.

I was thinking the PGR3 sound guys might've been the ones that dealt with the positional audio in the game (which was pretty great).

Animal said:
Question: how did you guys keep the sound of the dyno's out of your samples? Especially in the 4 wheel drive cars. Did you guys use the dynos that you just roll your car up on? or did you put it on the ones that bolt themselves directly to the wheel hub? Cauz there's tire noise and such also. lol sorry for the interview, im just very curious.

It's likely that, with a mic so close to the engine; all other noise in the area is just overshadowed.

Animal

Banned
Zaptruder said:
My apologies Animal; I did miss a bit of the thread and indeed your reply to a remark I forgot I made. But I commented on your post in the context of itself; and it's not immediately apparent what exactly you were making the comparison to.

It's all good Zaptruder, I actually thank you for being honnest about it and admitting ones small mistakes.
You are now forever on my good side. And I appologize if i may have seemed a bit intimidating or disrespectful.

Cheers Zap! :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Animal said:

Your answer here.

dyno312_tn.jpg

dyno301_tn.jpg

dyno310_tn.jpg

Link

Animal

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Your answer here.

dyno312_tn.jpg

dyno301_tn.jpg

dyno310_tn.jpg

Link

Lol i guess i gotta learn to read faster or to not ask questions until i finish reading the info. Sorry, I just get so excited when games and cars come together.

Top Bottom