• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I am the only one put-off by all the crying about how such and such game developer said mean things on twitter.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not exactly unreasonable from Blow and Fish, especially since we know they're not developing for Xbone, and probably never will, and hence probably have nothing meaningful to say until details of the new policy are actually announced.

Fowler

Erm, why are we all assuming that game journalists can't multi-task? Asking Blowfish for a comment doesn't therefore mean that they won't do any digging to see if it's true.

I'm sure some sites went ahead and did that anyway... But it's hardly like doing one means you are utterly incapable of also doing the other?

KaiserBecks

Their dicks because they didn't want to talk to the media? Uh okay.

No. They're dicks because these guys in particular, who love to trashtalk and usually comment an anything remotely related to their work, now pretend to be offended when all of a sudden people actually want them to comment on something. It's not like Blowfish aren't very vocal and try to avoid the spotlight. Prior to e3, there was a Blow thread pretty much every day, just because the guy kept commenting on things.

It's only natural to assume they had something to say about the rumor. Beer is probably not reacting like this because they didn't want to comment, but because of the way they reacted to the inquiry.

Blow and Fish are tired of getting harassed by game journos on commenting about the console war and that makes them spoiled divas ?

No. Marcus Beer just embarrassed himself.

Bittercup

It all depends on what you call official. We broke the story after we had multiple sources confirm the facts. We didn't run a rumor. We ran fact.

Just because Microsoft didn't want to comment on it when we asked doesn't make our reporting any less valid.
Oh this was not a criticism towards you (I don't know where you write) and I don't think there's anything wrong with writing a news story it you have trustworthy sources.

In the IW video it just sounds like he slightly misses the point why Jon Blow and Phil Fish were annoyed.

Cmagus

I don't get the outrage those tweets seem more than fine. i agree with Phil as well because ever since Xbone got their asses handed to the them everything they have been doing doesn't feel genuine and more like "oh look we have this as well" for damage control. It was clear MS didn't give two shits about indies up until recently but hey if they do change good on them.

No. They're dicks because these guys in particular, who love to trashtalk and usually comment an anything remotely related to their work, now pretend to be offended when all of a sudden people actually want them to comment on something. It's not like Blowfish aren't very vocal and try to avoid the spotlight. Prior to e3, there was a Blow thread pretty much every day, just because the guy kept commenting on things.

It's only natural to assume they had something to say about the RAM rumor. Beer is probably not reacting like this because they didn't want to comment, but because of the way they reacted to the inquiry.

Exactly. If you have nothing to say, just say "no comment". Acting like you are so much better than the vg journos and how dare they ask for my opinion is just ridiculous.

It's only natural to assume they had something to say about the RAM rumor. Beer is probably not reacting like this because they didn't want to comment, but because of the way they reacted to the inquiry.

So if they comment they are dicks, and if they don't comment then they are dicks?

Fucking internet, man.

What would indies have to say regarding ram anyway? No indie game in the next few years will need more than 5 GB of ram, so it's not like they actually have anything insightful to say. Maybe ask guerilla games, but of course the press knows they won't get drama as easier there. Unless we're referring to the potential limited ram pool of 360 indie games which nobody knows anything about (probably even Microsoft)

Dunlop

Blow and Fish are tired of getting harassed by game journos on commenting about the console war and that makes them spoiled divas ?

No. Marcus Beer just embarrassed himself.

Blow has pretty much been tripping over himself to shit talk the XB1 since it was announced, while praising the PS4..poor baby.

I'm blocked at work, but I seem to recall how he bashed only having 5GB of RAM available, has he said anything since it is now the same case with the PS4?

labaronx

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

pretty much has anyone asked ea why we should buy nba live over nba 2k this year

pixlexic

Banned

It's only natural to assume they had something to say about the rumor. Beer is probably not reacting like this because they didn't want to comment, but because of the way they reacted to the inquiry.

Exactly .. You can not trash talk int the media for months then turn around and get mad.

TimmiT

Don't see anything wrong with what he's said here. Must be annoying being the "go to" guy whenever some big indie news comes up. Comparing it to them having to promote their games later is dumb, is this Marcus beer always this bad?

Marcus' whole schtick is "I'm annoyed about something so I'm gonna complain about it in a video". He can make decent points, this isn't one of them. I can see why Jonathan Blow and Phil Fish are annoyed by this. Fish is being an ass about it, though that's nothing out of the ordinary and complaining about it probably isn't going to change that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What Jonathan Blow said on twitter which Markus must be referring to as GameInformer doesn't have any quotes by him:
(twitter, so bottom to top)
afee8ij.png

I have no problem with these tweets.

Also I love the fans in here who got so pissed about these dudes saying bad things about little old Microsoft, simultaneously complaining that they should just shut up and being angry that they're complaining about being asked for comment.

You want them to shut up or not?

dapoktan

watch out devs.. GT and Marcus wont cover your games unless you're available to them for interview on call... what a joke..

Say what you will about those 2(Blow and Fish), but theyve been featured in every indie article I've seen, and theyve been very available to journalists... but i guess it can get tiring if youre constantly getting emails and calls about every rumor story..

this Marcus guy on the other hand.. not very professional.. just because they dont want to give a blurb about every 100-word rumor post on a blog, he lashes out calling names? Some of these 'journalists' need to understand that if they want to be in a professional industry, you cant act like Marcus just did.. two-way street indeed

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Exactly .. You can not trash talk int the media for months then turn around and get mad.

Being honest on twitter about being tired of being asked about stuff you aren't particularly interested in is not "getting mad." Just because someone says something doesn't mean they're having an emotional meltdown, although that can be hard to remember given how GAFfers argue with each other.

Being tired of being bothered is what a normal human might express, and because these guys are indies they can express themselves like normal humans instead of walking on eggshells constantly to placate fans and press outlets alike.

Furthermore, the tweets are expressing the same complaints about games journalism that a large segment of GAFfers express constantly. There's nothing diagnostic about their viewpoints. They don't imply they are "divas" or "hipsters" or anything like that.

remnant

Banned

The hell. Blow and Fish criticized MS policies...that's it. Journalists decided that their opinions were news worthy and ran with it. Blow and Fish didn't tell anyone their twitter should be treated like the Associated Press.

They don't have a responsibility to tweet about every little thing in the industry, especially the second it breaks.

So now that we all have the proper context for Marcus Beer's posts I'm commenting on my own.

What is he annoyed about?

Phil Fish and Jonathan Blow are calling out how gaming journalism works and I fully agree with it. Instead of independently verifying any of the stories like for example Patrick Klepek did, they just asked for comment on twitter so they could re-package someone else's story so it barely skirts by the definition of blogspam.

And if they waited a day in the case of Phil Fish they even got his real opinion on the issue.

This. To me, game journalist are trying to create drama just because these two are always outspoken. And when they do write these articles mentioning their names, they make them seem like shills and even bigger ass holes so why should they. Marcus is pissed that he's not important, they don't give a fuck and that's that. They wanted a juicy story and didn't get it. If I'm a game dev, the only thing I should be talking about is what my current or new game is going to be about... That's it.

Listen to this bull.

So let's put it in your terms... When you do a good job at work and you want your boss to know that, you'd rather continue to talk to your boss about some other person at your job starting conflict with other people that is none of your business or would you rather talk about the great work you did for a raise?

My point exactly, they shouldn't only be flagged upon because GT wants a story about MS to create drama all over again. This is a free country and they have a right to speak their mind if they want to, whether good or bad... But they also have a right to decline a slanted article that is guaranteed to be written with their words in it again to create drama. I don't think Fish or Blow are dicks. They just speak their minds and people don't like what they have to say.

Alucrid

Banned
I got get why Marcus Beer is so loved. I listened to him on some podcast recently...Weekend Confirmed?...and he was pretty bad.

so in that case they DID talk to the media and beer is being an idiot and raging over nothing

They didn't talk to GT, sop GT can't take their words and use them out of context if they wanted..so yeah, they're dbags for not giving GT power over their words.

Hey he can complain about them as much as he likes, if he did a better job they would be more forthcoming with information when he wants to run rumours.

MadSexual

Listening to this guy now. It's pretty damn embarrassing. A lot of self-importance about this guy. His little witticisms sound like desperation blows. You want quid-pro-quot from these guys? Try being as important to gaming as they are. Because when they put out games, it doesn't matter how they've treated you over your little rehashed stories, you will cover their games because you want the hits they generate. Bottom line.

Heyt

Banned
"Blowfish" made me laugh.

Everything else Mr.Beer says is embarassing. He can not nail every single topic anyway, but well this time he clearly went too far.

"fucking hipsters". Wow.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I got get why Marcus Beer is so loved. I listened to him on some podcast recently...Weekend Confirmed?...and he was pretty bad.

Frankly, anyone who calls themselves "Annoyed Gamer" is going to be irritating to listen to. His smug style and overconfidence put him in the "do not take seriously" category for me.

This attack on Blow and Fish is just an example of bad, overly-emotional reasoning leading to a dumb position on a non-issue.

pixlexic

Banned
Lucky is one thing, talented is another.

You make a good game, I hope it succeeds.

This is stupid though.

Talent is good but to have conditions happen just right that your game gets noticed is another.

Braid would have never been noticed if not for a fledgling XBLA platform.

What Jonathan Blow said on twitter which Markus must be referring to as GameInformer doesn't have any quotes by him:
(twitter, so bottom to top)
afee8ij.png

What is even remotely off base about this? Why should they be arsed to respond to rumors when the publications can't be arsed to confirm them in the first place? It's not surprising that other media outlets will then try to spin it as them behaving diva-like, whe it's them who are acting as if covering their games is a favor they're doing to the developers who have then to be repaid by developers working as opinion writers for the publication every time they catch wind of a rumor.

FZZ

Banned
Gametrailers really needs to either have an Android app or upgrade their site to HTML 5, half the time I can't see their videos because of the device I'm browsing on.

On topic: Marcus is usually on point will give this a watch when I can.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Talent is good but to have conditions happen just right that your game gets noticed is another.

Braid would have never been noticed if not for a fledgling XBLA platform.

You don't think there's any way it would have eventually been noticed in some other way, if XBLA wasn't getting a lot of attention at the time?

You don't think Blow had any agency in the matter, that under different circumstances he could have planned for different platforms and different promotional strategies?

I agree with you that some circumstantial events contributed to Braid's success, but that's not the only way it could have played out.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why do people think Blow and Fish are dicks?

People think Fish is a dick because sometimes he is. He says jokey insulting things on twitter and for some reason people take it personally. Also, famously, he said rudely to a Japanese dev that Japanese games suck this generation. People couldn't handle the existence of that opinion or the way it was delivered.

People think Blow is a dick because he gives his honest opinion about things, and because he's intelligent people like to call him pretentious. Or they think "Braid wasn't even that good so why is this guy talking so much?" (He's talking because people ask him questions in interviews.)

Blow is a dick because he didn't want to comment on a rumor that was lacking in details? Oooookay...

Both he and Fish have used the gaming media to be vehemently speak out against Microsoft's policies. It's only natural that those game journalists would ask them for a comment when Microsoft ultimately reverses course.

Read the tweets from The fish and Blow when all this was going on. I'm totally in their corner. Games journos really should try harder.

No. They're dicks because these guys in particular, who love to trashtalk and usually comment an anything remotely related to their work, now pretend to be offended when all of a sudden people actually want them to comment on something.

Not "something", rumors. Which is actually the opposite of "something".

It's not like Blowfish aren't very vocal and try to avoid the spotlight. Prior to e3, there was a Blow thread pretty much every day, just because the guy kept commenting on things. It's only natural to assume they had something to say about the rumor.

It's also natural to assume that if they had something to say about the rumor, they would already have. You know, with the whole "keep commenting on things" thing.

Beer is probably not reacting like this because they didn't want to comment, but because of the way they reacted to the inquiry.

The way they acted is "asking for comments on a rumour is inane and irresponsible". Which is 100% true.

For context, I think Phil Fish is the biggest dick in the industry right now, and I skipped Fez out of disgust for him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jesus Christ, he was going HAM on those 2 in the IW video. He looked legitimately pissed that they didn't want to give any comments.

Why do people think Blow and Fish are dicks?

People think they are dicks because they speak their mind just like the rest of us. Some people feel that even if they get a little success, they are suit and tie wearing guys who should always have something respectful or something everyone agrees with because that's the professional thing to do. However both guys are people, humans who just like us say irrational opinionated things that you can either agree with or disagree with. They've never disrespected anyone's race, body, weight or anything personal to people but only said a few things about their platform of choice. Now they are dicks because they can't act like people...

Don't listen to everyone else. They can talk about all the platforms I may hate or love but they aren't dicks Imo for speaking their minds. Some people act like they are so much better when half of them who don't like them.. Say the same stupid stuff that they do on the same topics.

Atomski

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

Didnt watch it but wow..

I feel like people who hate Blow and Fish should really look to Games Journalism, they want to pull this shit out of them. Its like slow news week lets see what we can get Blow and Fish to say cause that always brings some clicks in from the haters.

Both he and Fish have used the gaming media to be vehemently speak out against Microsoft's policies. It's only natural that those game journalists would ask them for a comment when Microsoft ultimately reverses course.

Im sure they would have had plenty to say if it wasnt just rumors at the time and the fact they knew no concrete details.

For context, I think Phil Fish is the biggest dick in the industry right now, and I skipped Fez out of disgust for him.

At least he made a game that was an instant classic. I know Kubrick was a bit of a tit, but that doesn't mean I'll stop watching 2001 or The Shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom