• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
People think they are dicks because they speak their mind just like the rest of us. Some people feel that even if they get a little success, they are suit and tie wearing guys who should always have something respectful or something everyone agrees with because that's the professional thing to do. However both guys are people, humans who just like us say irrational opinionated things that you can either agree with or disagree with. They've never disrespected anyone's race, body, weight or anything personal to people but only said a few things about their platform of choice. Now they are dicks because they can't act like people...

Don't listen to everyone else. They can talk about all the platforms I may hate or love but they aren't dicks Imo for speaking their minds. Some people act like they are so much better when half of them who don't like them.. Say the same stuff stupid stuff that they do on the same topics.

Saying Japanese games suck to a Japanese dev in a room full of other devs at GDC isn't being a dick?

I kind of agree with this Marcus guy. I don't really see why Blow and Fish have a problem with this? They've both been very vocal about MS's policies and they're both indie developers. Asking them about a major policy change from MS that deals with indie developers isn't a crazy thing for the press to do. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

Oh this was not a criticism towards you (I don't know where you write) and I don't think there's anything wrong with writing a news story it you have trustworthy sources.

In the IW video it just sounds like he slightly misses the point why Jon Blow and Phil Fish were annoyed.

I write at Game Informer. Matt Bertz, Jeff Marchiafava, and I broke the story.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I kind of agree with this Marcus guy. I don't really see why Blow and Fish have a problem with this? They've both been very vocal about MS's policies and they're both indie developers. Asking them about a major policy change from MS that deals with indie developers isn't a crazy thing for the press to do. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

My understanding is that the policy change was merely a rumor at the time they were asked about it. It's one thing to reach out to devs to ask about confirmed facts, but asking about random internet bullshit is another thing. I could easily frame it as being disrespectful of their time. I don't know if that's how they view it, but obviously they are tired of having their tweets made into click-bait.

edit: nevermind, I have been corrected.

Oh this was not a criticism towards you (I don't know where you write) and I don't think there's anything wrong with writing a news story it you have trustworthy sources.

In the IW video it just sounds like he slightly misses the point why Jon Blow and Phil Fish were annoyed.

They have both been the most vocal critics of MS and their lack self publishing and other issues, so it's not entirely unwarranted that they'd be asked what their opinion is about this 'rumour' of self publishing and turning each retail unit into a 'dev kit'.

If they don't want to respond, that's fair enough, but at the same time, they have to expect these kinds of questions given their history. Blow especially has commented on virtually every aspect of the One, even going so far as to question whether the dedicated servers claim was true...seems a little strange that he'd get upset over this.

Miles X

Ugh I hate this British guy, why does he swear so much.

It's quite evident BlowFish are bitter and upset at MS's reversal.

My understanding is that the policy change was merely a rumor at the time they were asked about it. It's one thing to reach out to devs to ask about confirmed facts, but asking about random internet bullshit is another thing. I could easily frame it as being disrespectful of their time. I don't know if that's how they view it, but obviously they are tired of having their tweets made into click-bait.

It was not a rumor. We reported off of multiple sources. There is a difference between unfounded rumor and something not yet confirmed by the corporate entity in question.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They have both been the most vocal critics of MS and their lack self publishing and other issues, so it's not entirely unwarranted that they'd be asked what their opinion is about this 'rumour' of self publishing and turning each retail unit into a 'dev kit'.

If they don't want to respond, that's fair enough, but at the same time, they have to expect these kinds of questions given their history. Blow especially has commented on virtually every aspect of the One, even going so far as to question whether the dedicated servers claim was true...seems a little strange that he'd get upset over this.

Is he "upset" though? Or did he just say a few sentences expressing his honest opinion?

It's way too easy to read an excess of emotion into writing on the internet, and people too readily attribute strong emotions when there may not be any. Marcus Beer's emotions, on the other hand, are plain to see.

If Blow was really upset, and unambiguously getting angry or being insulting, then maybe Marcus Beer and his ilk would have grounds on which to attack him. If he's just being honest (and we know he's not insulting anyone specifically) then Marcus' attack is unjustified.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What Jonathan Blow said on twitter which Markus must be referring to as GameInformer doesn't have any quotes by him:
(twitter, so bottom to top)
afee8ij.png

Jon isn't saying anything wrong here. He has no responsibility to respond to a rumour story of some website

Cels

Jon isn't saying anything wrong here. He has no responsibility to respond to a rumour story of some website

he's also right. when they asked him to comment not all the details were out. actually, even though we know more now, we still don't know all the details. don't see what all the fuss is.

Is he "upset" though? Or did he just say a few sentences expressing his honest opinion?

It's way too easy to read an excess of emotion into writing on the internet, and people too readily attribute strong emotions when there may not be any. Marcus Beer's emotions, on the other hand, are plain to see.

If Blow was really upset, and unambiguously getting angry or being insulting, then maybe Marcus Beer and his ilk would have grounds on which to attack him. If he's just being honest (and we know he's not insulting anyone specifically) then Marcus' attack is unjustified.

Yeah, maybe not upset, but he's certainly annoyed in his tweets. I guess it's odd to see him not respond to this when he's been more than happy to comment on virtually every other aspect of the One. I'm also pretty sure he's commented on rumours in the past too.

Feels odd that he's decided to not to respond and give his opinion.

If those tweets are what this is all about I really don't see how anyone can criticize Blow or Fish for this. They simply state that they don't want to be constantly harassed by gaming journalists looking for a quote about something they have little information on.

Baleoce

Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

This

dapoktan

it just rubbed me the wrong way when Marcus near threatened that not doing interviews would lead to them not covering their games... talk about high horse..

those 2 devs have probably done more interviews than Marcus has written articles or done podcasts put together... yet he doesnt want to comment on a rumor and he goes and swings his 'journalist' card? c'mon now.

edit. They cover the games WE the consumers want covered.. not whichever dev did not piss off Marcus.

nib95

Banned
Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

Lol this. Marcus, you dropped the ball here a bit mate.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

What a fucking joke.
This is pretty much what this is. They're asking indie developers because they think they can use them as confirmation of a rumour, knowing a member of a larger company wouldn't dare risk their job for a comment. Sure, Fish and Blow are self employed and have a little more freedom, but that doesn't mean they're obliged to be open about everything.

Pathetic. You're threatening them into playing some kind of rumour confirmation hardball. Sit down and think, Marcus.

Marcus Beer is an embarrassment.

Edit: Not saying a word to the press = bitching and moaning.

2 way street basically confirms, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

People think they are dicks because they speak their mind just like the rest of us.

People think they are dicks because of what they say, not the fact that they have the ability to speak and say things. Phil Fish is not just like "the rest of us." Some of us have humility and empathy and aren't looking to make a fool out of people in real life public situations at any given chance.

Blow got a massive paycheck from Microsoft for Braid (he even went into detail about what a great morning it was when he checked his account balance) but he tore them a new about their publishing policies as soon as he was paid.

I wouldn't want to work with Blow if I was MS.

Atomski

Blow got a massive paycheck from Microsoft for Braid (he even went into detail about what a great morning it was when he checked his account balance) but he tore them a new about their publishing policies as soon as he was paid.

Wait.. what? You talk like they just handed him money for nothing. When really MS made money off a game he made. If anything yeah they want to work with him.. its free money if a popular game gets on their service.

Also he is right.. their policies are very anti small developer and its great they are finally changing them after all the bitching from many developers such as Blow. We should be thankful for this..

KaiserBecks

Not "something", rumors. Which is actually the opposite of "something".

It wasn't just a rumor.

It's also natural to assume that if they had something to say about the rumor, they would already have. You know, with the whole "keep commenting on things" thing.

Apparently at the time, the story just broke. You can decide for yourself if not wanting to react at all to a positive outcome of something both of them heavily and repeatedly criticized makes them look like even bigger douches.

The way they acted is "asking for comments on a rumour is inane and irresponsible". Which is 100% true.

Yeah, they reacted that way before checking if it actually was a rumor. Some may call that a biting reflex.

For context, I think Phil Fish is the biggest dick in the industry right now, and I skipped Fez out of disgust for him.

Good man.

Oh he was one of those God of War trophy guys? Hahaha. How does this guy have any credibility?

Yes, I went back through the episodes and he got caught up in the Internet rage and subsequently apologized on a later episode after he knew the facts of the situation.

Bittercup

I got get why Marcus Beer is so loved. I listened to him on some podcast recently...Weekend Confirmed?...and he was pretty bad.
He's not that bad in my opinion and his show sometimes entertaining. Although he rarely brings anything new to a topic, but that's maybe a flaw of the show. After all it's Annoyed Gamer, so he just rants about topics you probably read enough ranting about already. And sometimes it's just a bit stupid.
It's a good idea, that he's taking a break to improve the show. I hope he stops with this being annoyed-role as well, that's always very tiring to listen to.

I write at Game Informer. Matt Bertz, Jeff Marchiafava, and I broke the story.
Thanks and like I wrote, I don't think there's anything wrong with your story but I don't think the criticism of their twitter posts are aimed specifically against your story. But maybe I'm missing some background information. All I have are twitter posts like this from Jonathan Blow "Hey we are running a game journalism story that says another site said there is a rumor, with no details, about some console thing.". And those fishing for some comments to spice up their story even though not having a real story and I think, they bring up a valid point.

Nibel

Fucking pathetic from Marcus Beer - more like annoying gamer instead of annoyed gamer

And you can see who read the tweets/story on the first page; maybe some of you should read and inform yourselves. Yes, Fish and Blow might be polarizing, but they did nothing of harm - actually the opposite

this is the same guy that got really mad at Kamiya for telling people to fuck off over twitter, right?

Is twitter etiquette his pet issue?

harSon

Banned
You can't publicly trash Microsoft on a weekly basis through twitter, happily supply negative quotes to gaming publications on a constant basis, trash Microsoft in interviews from gaming publications and generally have a positive relationship with gaming publications when it benefits you (ie. previews, spotlight of your games, etc.) or is about something you agree with, and then turn around and throw a temper tantrum when they ask you about something that doesn't fall in line with your whiny viewpoints towards Microsoft.

Well I suppose you can, but then people are 100% justified in calling you out for being incredibly hypocritical.

badgenome

Man. I didn't know about that. What a total cock. Who the fuck does he think he is to have opinions after Microsoft gave him his share of the revenue generated by the sales of his game?

I hope they never let him make an Xbox game again.

unedited bottom-to-top posts later:
TJdUrO4.png

next day (bottom to top again):
lMfooAh.png

I don't think what Blow said was much of anything, but this is some classic hypocritical bullshit nonsense that Fish is known for

July 24th: Ugh, game journos want me to comment on rumor extremely relevant to my life's work? that is so beneath me

July 25th: Let me spend half a dozen tweets passionately commenting on a rumor

He's such an asshole, and you know what? His comments on the 25th - if given in an interview - would have been incredibly insightful and sparked a lot of conversation.

antitrop

I don't think what Blow said was much of anything, but this is some classic hypocritical bullshit nonsense that Fish is known for

July 24th: Ugh, game journos want me to comment on rumor extremely relevant to my life's work? that is so beneath me

July 25th: Let me spend half a dozen tweets passionately commenting on a rumor

He's such an asshole, and you know what? His comments on the 25th - if given in an interview - would have been incredibly insightful and sparked a lot of conversation.
I can't understand why anyone would ever follow this guy on Twitter.

It's downright masochistic.

Karu

I think Beer is quite boring at times. Sometimes entertaining, whatever. On this matter... well... I just feel like Beer overreacted. No matter how hypocritical those statements may be... this is not the way you should respond. "Annoyed" gamer or not. At some point it seems just crazy.

You can't publicly trash Microsoft on a weekly basis through twitter, happily supply negative quotes to gaming publications on a constant basis, trash Microsoft in interviews from gaming publications and generally have a positive relationship with gaming publications when it benefits you (ie. previews, spotlight of your games, etc.) or is about something you agree with, and then turn around and throw a temper tantrum when they ask you about something that doesn't fall in line with your whiny viewpoints towards Microsoft.

Well I suppose you can, but then people are 100% justified in calling you out for being incredibly hypocritical.
Take this analogy to a work place setting, because that's kind of what this is:

Neckbeard Guy asks for your help on his project while he knows you need to work on your project. You help out because its easy and you like giving input, but at a point his constant pleas for help become an annoyance. You realize that, instead of working, Neckbeard guy will just email you the moment work shows it's ugly head. Now you're not only being exploited by Neckbeard guy but also he is diminishing you as your work puts food on his table. You cut him off then Neckbeard guy goes on a rant about how entitled you are.

It's like half the story of Atlas Shrugged. Blow and Fish are makers. Marcus is a taker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom