• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT IW: Marcus Beer strikes out at Jon Blow/Phil Fish over XB1 indie GI coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe people argue over twitter, freaking losers. No matter if you're some millionaire rapster, hollywood moviestar or some indie dev....check yourself before you post that shit.

Just blows my mind how people flush their image away on that place.

DaBuddaDa

As you willingly excuse retaliation by encouraging someone to take their own lives.

I take that comment, made through twitter, as a hollow and unserious threat from someone who feels attacked and threatened, and do not judge him for it. The entire fake persona people have built around Phil is people viciously, over the top attack him, he retaliates, and people use that as more ammunition to spew hate at him. It doesn't start with him, and it doesn't end with him.

When people "bullied" Mike from Penny Arcade, would it be "victim blaming" to criticize him for his transphobic rant that he made in retaliation?

I don't follow your example. Mike from PA had a "transphobic rant?"

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I was in complete agreement with Marcus before I read the dev tweets. Blowfish were 100% right in the comments they gave. the game journalist are just salty cause they got called out for jumping the gun.

I take that comment, made through twitter, as a hollow and unserious threat from someone who feels attacked and threatened, and do not judge him for it.

Oh well that makes it okay.

If we can come to the consensus that encouraging people to kill themselves does not constitute a viable threat, then there's absolutely no harm in it.

deli2000

Jim Sterling said:
there's no long-term satisfaction or happiness to be gained from one-upping people on Twitter. You just get more frustrated, lash out more, and make more people have fights with you.

This is the thing that needs to be taken out of this affair.

Karu

There is always the option of just not commenting. But I guess the drama queens needed some exposure.
The funny thing is, that Beer seconds before commenting on Fish' reaction to the GI-thing, explained why he does a break on AG. Because he doesn't want to be THAT person, who stirs up controversy for its own sake. Ridiclious. Not saying he is the only one to blame though. It's pathetic on both sides. Can't say I'm surprised though&I don't even follow Twitter/Gaf that long...

hackdog

Banned
So Marcus Beer is complaining about other people complaining.

Seriously Beer's schtick has gotten old so fast. He ruins everything he's in now.

Axass

The ironic thing is that these two chaps will be back hawking their wares sooner or later. Using the system that they hate, getting ready to cash some checks.

You mean like when you bashed the X1 in several different videos... and then said you've got it pre-ordered just in case? I'd say it's more hypocrisy than irony.

Of course you are. But you didn't say you hated it. You said it was the most pretentious game ever made.

So, the game itself.. is pretentious?

Fish goes out and says that japanese games just suck. Fish has a prominent role in a film about the struggles of making Fez. He then, after 5 years, releases a game that not only fails to deliver on its original core premise, but tries to fool everyone into thinking it's actually a super deep mystery by hiding half the game in a series of 1 to 1 cryptographic keys where the only difficulties are finding the key and brute forcing the language.

For him to have taken five years to release that trash while shit talking half the industry seems like the epitome of pretention, to me.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Defending someone calling for someone to commit suicide?

Stay Classy gaf.

Wow

Jesus, who's defending who? People are saying that while Fish's comments were uncalled for, Beer also crossed a line.

Stop over generalizing the entire community.

He called AG a "Limey" too. But people don't seem to be picking up on that for some reason.

Is he aware that some of his fans might be English? Seemed like a dumb thing to do.

xemumanic

I never liked Fish from his insulting, condescending, douchey comments he makes on the Internet and even more confirmed after watching the movie. Fez may be considered a good game, but I refuse to support him due to mostly his attitude. Which is unfortunate because I was pretty hyped to play Fez when I first heard about it way back when, but the more Fish opened his mouth, the less inclined I wanted to play and support his work.

That's exactly where I am with Phil Fish. I've been following the game since I saw it on The 1 Up Show (maybe even before). But it was Phil himself and the way he chooses to communicate that soured me on the game before I even tried it. And when I finally did, I find I don't like it. Thankfully I played it on someone else's system who had already bought it.

Have nothing to say about Braid, I never played it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
As you willingly excuse retaliation by encouraging someone to take their own lives.

Go find a mirror, DaBuddaDa. If you can stand to have your eyes open to it, I'd be pretty surprised.

Its hyperbole. When angry at others people also often shout things like, "I'll kill them!". They're not actually thinking about doing such things. The faster some people realize such comments aren't to be taken at face value, the better society will be.

When douchebags fight these battles on a twitter with their paddles and the twitter's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles...

They call this a muddle puddle douchebag poodle beetle noodle twitter paddle battle.

wrowa

Go find a mirror, DaBuddaDa. If you can stand to have your eyes open to it, I'd be pretty surprised.

Sorry, but your hollier-than-thou attitude is much more annoying than Fish's silly Futurama quote. You're attacking another person for the sole reason that you disagree with his opinion, Fish on the other hand was defending himself against accusations and used an obviously joking but misplaced pop culture quote. He had a reason, you have none.

At this points, it's painfully obvious that Fish has serious issues understanding how his words sound to other people and I'm honestly not sure why people have to punch him again and again for it. There are people who have issues like that and you are doing no one a favor when you attack such a person all the damn time. Just leave him be.

Dijon

Neo Member
All this over some leech as pathetic as Marcus Beer. That guy's "rage gamer, angry man about games so mad grr" schtick (which is done all over the internet) is aimed at children and teenagers. He's talentless, he's just going to sit around making inflammatory remarks and generating hits, and I really hope Fez 2 isn't cancelled over that waste of space.

Damn, it seems he's serious about cancelling Fez 2... Or not, who knows. maybe he's just incredibly pissed right now. Better to wait and see how things delevop.
3N8m0.png

DaBuddaDa

I think the interpretation of this whole situation varies drastically depending on who you think Phil Fish really is, and there is a untrue, fabricated, continually perpetuated myth, stemming from the non-story out of context "Japanese games suck" quote, of who he is that taints people's perceptions.

Finalow

oh no, Fez 2 might be dead. if only he wasn't serious.

LET'S all hug the poor phil fish, mean people are bullying him.

I think the interpretation of this whole situation varies drastically depending on who you think Phil Fish really is, and there is a untrue, fabricated, continually perpetuated myth, stemming from the non-story out of context "Japanese games suck" quote, of who he is that taints people's perceptions.

Why don't you break it down then for us? I followed that non-story pretty closely back in the day. Not much context one way or the other can do for it that doesn't make Fish look like a toolbox.

DKehoe

Damn, it seems he's serious about cancelling Fez 2... Or not, who knows. maybe he's just incredibly pissed right now. Better to wait and see how things delevop.
3N8m0.png

Fish's avatar on twitter is of Andy Kaufman. I wouldn't take this stuff too seriously

If being on the wrong side of this apparently means thinking people shouldn't tell other people to kill themselves, then I'm pretty fine where I am.

What was out of context regarding the "japanese games suck" quote?

He was a douche to another dev, like him, and basically humilliated him in front of a multitude. The actual quote was irrelevant.

And he showed numerous times his disrespectful and out of the line comments. We know he gots lots of hate, but if he gets so much worked out about those he should just get off of twitter like he did and leave someone else the promotion of his games on social media, I mean before he basically had a mental breakdown.

reggie

Banned

I actually couldn't care less about the "Japenese games suck" hyperbole. Stop looking for excuses, people dislike Fish because of his shitty attitude and agressive comments on twitter. If he is facing such untrue vitriol over a fake persona of himself maybe he shouldn't be fanning the fire by fucking telling people to go kill themselves.

You've obviously never played Dear Esther.

I did actually. I suppose out of context Dear Esther takes it, but with the context of Fish' comments about games prior, I think Fez edges it out. Esther didn't lie about what kind of game it was either, and I enjoyed it a lot more, to boot.

B.O.O.M

I feel a bit weird inside about this but I have to side with Fish and Jon here. Marcus is being a man child. This is such a non issue being blown out of proportions

MarkusRJR

I have mixed feelings on this. While I appreciate Jon Blow/Phil Fish for not being the generic PR machines that are so common in the gaming industry, they act like manbabies a lot of the time (Phil Fish in particular). Marcus Beer is kind of being an asshat though, essentially making 1/4 of a podcast just talking about them being hipsters and insulting them. My advice to both of them:

To Phil Fish (and maybe Jon Blow): If you don't want to respond to certain people, don't respond. You don't need to whine or let the world know about it. It just makes game "journalists" more eager to complain about you (like Marcus Beer). Also, you don't need to cancel a game because someone doesn't like you. That makes zero sense.

To Marcus Beer: Stop being a complete ass and learn that not everyone has to bow down to the gaming press. If they don't want to give you info and likewise you don't want to give them coverage due to it, wonderful. Don't go on longwinded rants later for everyone to hear. Keep it personal and professional (aka not a big section in a podcast), it makes you look like a dick.

I can't believe people argue over twitter, freaking losers. No matter if you're some millionaire rapster, hollywood moviestar or some indie dev....check yourself before you post that shit.

Just blows my mind how people flush their image away on that place.

Yup. Just ignore the rude shit that will inevitably thrown at you if you're famous to any degree. I too don't get why some people are so eager to destroy their positive or neutral image.

If being on the wrong side of this apparently means thinking people shouldn't tell other people to kill themselves, then I'm pretty fine where I am.

It's okay to personally attack someone for no good reason and call them a hipster piece of shit, a twat and other things though, of course.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Phil Fish is the Dwight Howard of the video games industry.

1. Shockingly overrated results.

2. Clown Shoes

3. Indecisive manchild

spuit*11

Banned
Hey indies give us clickbait consolewar bullshit comments on demand, or else we'll publicly insult you on video. Meanwhile we'll throw softball questions at any developer working at a major 3rd party because we can't lose access to that previous ad revenue and review copies.

What a fucking joke.

This so, so much.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
It's okay to personally attack someone for no good reason and call them a hipster piece of shit, a twat and other things though, of course.

2 wrongs dont make a right bra, both should be held accountable for their comment, but fish is acting like a spoiled child and told someone to kill them selves

DaBuddaDa

Why don't you break it down then for us? I followed that non-story pretty closely back in the day. Not much context one way or the other can do for it that doesn't make Fish look like a toolbox.

Very simply, how I saw it:

That Quote was a half of a sentence in the beginning of a full answer to the question. Nobody in the room at the time was insulted after hearing the entire response. Not even the Japanese man he was talking to (who later said it was a good thing for him to hear, and Phil apologized to him regardless).

This:

He was a douche to another dev, like him, and basically humilliated him in front of a multitude. The actual quote was irrelevant.

Is patently false. Just flat out untrue.

But those couple of words got The Internet's knickers in a bunch and people started relentlessly attacking him, his game and his company, because god knows it's so easy to spew vitriol at someone on the internet. Takes about 2 seconds of typing and 0 seconds of thought. Everything snowballed from there. A misunderstanding taken by people to legitimize slandering.

Haunted

oh and so far Angry Joe is the only one who does the 'angry gamer' schtick correctly imho
I'm actually amazed that there are so many people who ripped off the angry videogame nerd and are successful with it.

So many shitty *adjective* gamer people on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom