• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 News - Nurburgring update (pre-E3 edition)

So they've got two of the main complaints people level at the series out of the way now (bumper cars and bad AI). Now for E3 and the damage system.

alba

Little is the new Big
I think the E3 conference blowout or trailer will focus on each license individually (Nascar, WRC, SuperGT, ...) and give precise infos (detailed this time) along with a new look at the "final" damage system and perhaps a live demo of a new track (please be let it be Spa) at night or something along those lines.

Predictions time! :D

-viper-

Banned
Love the speed. The track also looks fantastic.

Hopefully 8 isn't the limit on the number of cars per track though. I want to see a minimum of 12 cars per track. 8 is just too low, especially after Prologue's 16.

Mobius 1

alba said:
I think the E3 conference blowout or trailer will focus on each license individually (Nascar, WRC, SuperGT, ...) and give precise infos (detailed this time) along with a new look at the "final" damage system and perhaps a live demo of a new track (please be let it be Spa) at night or something along those lines.

Predictions time! :D

I've seen enough bits here and there to make me believe there will be driver customization.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
So they've got two of the main complaints people level at the series out of the way now (bumper cars and bad AI). Now for E3 and the damage system.
Oh shit we better find something new to complain about

paskowitz

And people doubted PD... pssshh. Visually and aesthetically this build is far better looking that what we have seen in the past. If the final game ends up looking like this with 16 cars we'll be fine.

25k0foh.gif

jett

D-Member
SolidSnakex said:

I still see bumper cars, unless I missed a vid or something. Hitting cars or walls barely affects you.

It's really looking amazing now. Good to see after that poor trailer from SCEA.
But I too am perturbed at the number of cars on track. I'm not expecting 16 anymore (though it'd be great if there were). 10 at the least for me.
The smoke effects look excellent. I hope exhaust flames make an appearance too. Loved that touch in GT4.

Looks like shadows aren't being cast on the cars, just reflections. You can really notice it at the end of the one video when it shows replay footage and the cars pass underneath an overhang.

herbert²

Banned
It's good to see these small improvments in GT5, I hope there will be more at E3.

DAMAGE NIGHT RACING WEATHER DAMAGE NIGHT RACING WEATHER

herbert² said:
It's good to see these small improvments in GT5, I hope there will be more at E3.

DAMAGE NIGHT RACING WEATHER DAMAGE NIGHT RACING WEATHER

When people say weather, do they just mean "rain" and "sunshine"? Or are we talking about, fog, thunderstorms and lightening, and rain, and sunshine?

Mush

Dedication Through Light said:
When people say weather, do they just mean "rain" and "sunshine"? Or are we talking about, fog, thunderstorms and lightening, and rain, and sunshine?
MEATBALLS FALLING FROM THE SKY OR BUST

KingDizzi

Banned
The only issue which continues to bug me is the total number of cars on track at once however in the trailers we see 12 Nascar cars on track so would like to know what is going on there.

Mush

KingDizzi said:
The only issue which continues to bug me is the total number of cars on track at once however in the trailers we see 12 Nascar cars on track so would like to know what is going on there.
Remember kids, this is only a demo.

KingDizzi

Banned
It looks a lock on that the car count will be reduced but 8 is just too low, very hard to swallow after prologue. 12 I would be happy with but 8 is just a no no.

Calling it a demo at this stage is silly now, if this game is releasing this year there is nothing amazing PD can do in that time. I 100% recall someone saying this demo wa:s "fresh of the press" so this is what we are going to get in the final game. What do people think, PD will suddenly be able to do in the last few months what they have been unable to do for years?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dedication Through Light said:

Tornadoes or its incomplete. :lol

I think whatever real races usually allow is fair game to be desired. Rain as long as its not too strong, fog is OK as long as its not too thick. And then varying degrees of wetness for the track. Race managers usually allow a race if the conditions are not dangerous to the drivers and if there is sufficient visibility for track marshalls and airlift helicopters in case of a need for medevac.

I think expecting lightning storms, blinding fog and tornadoes is a little out there and beyond what a "realistic" racing game aims for.

offshore

KingDizzi said:

The GT5 E3 09 trailer has 16 NASCAR field; so too does the one shown in December. I'd be surprised if they cut NASCAR down.

I think NASCAR could be an exception though, as they can't race in the rain, so PD wouldn't have to account for that extra processing (assuming rain makes it in of course)

satriales

Metalmurphy said:
The trees look 3D to me... Some of them at least
They do look much better but I think they are still made up of two flat images, which is fine as it's not noticeable while you are moving.

Metalmurphy said:
2jacn6a.jpg

Hell yeah baby.
I hope that there's also normal mapping and unique textures + procedural movement for each leaf according to the wind or else I might not buy the game as it will ruin the experience...

jett

D-Member
Metalmurphy said:
2jacn6a.jpg

I can't see shit with those insane amounts of macroblocking. If it's anything like The Ring, and it probably is, all the trees are 2D.

Gek54

satriales said:
They do look much better but I think they are still made up of two flat images, which is fine as it's not noticeable while you are moving.

The more glaring problem I thought was the blatant copy and paste of trees on the Ring, I am not seeing that on Le Mans. Hopefully the Ring will ultimately get the same treatment.

satriales said:
jett said:
I can't see shit with those insane amounts of macroblocking. If it's anything like The Ring, and it probably is, all the trees are 2D.

You can see branches going out in several directions. There's no way that's just 2 planes.

TTP said:
And yet I bet that doesn't produce any skid mark
Ofc it doesn't :p And it never will. Kaz laughed last time they asked him about skidmarks.

I enjoyed the new trailer. 950 cars is a lot!

I have been playing the crap out of Forza on the 360. It has something like 450 cars (with DLC). I havnt driven everyone of those cars yet, and I have been playing it for months. Cant imagine I will get anywhere near driving all 950 gars in GT5.

Fingers crossed for a release date annoucement at E3.

Captain Bluey said:
I enjoyed the new trailer. 950 cars is a lot!

I have been playing the crap out of Forza on the 360. It has something like 450 cars (with DLC). I havnt driven everyone of those cars yet, and I have been playing it for months. Cant imagine I will get anywhere near driving all 950 gars in GT5.

Fingers crossed for a release date annoucement at E3.

Hopefully a gold trophy for having owned every single car :p

Top Bottom