• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

Toxa

I am actually pretty disappointed with the physics. Drifting the car into corners is still the fastest way around. Weight transfer is better, as is suspension movement, but braking and turn in is still wonky to me.

as a DS3 user I must admit it feels easier to drive than GT5 so far

Arcteryx

as a DS3 user I must admit it feels easier to drive than GT5 so far

Yep. There is much more "feel" for how the car will respond. I haven't tested it on my wheel yet, but so far I'm impressed.

how many of those options are on by default? Meaning how much of this is steering controls and traction options etc.

The intro demo has everything on (I think; it doesn't let you change/check anything at first), but after that you can disable it like normal(which I did right away).

Arklite

Lots of small fixes here and there, although the image quality seems mixed as I don't remember GT5 having so much 'shimmering' on the edges of the environment.

The menu system is a nice upgrade, though. Fast, clean, and more accessible.

paskowitz

Playing the demo reaffirmed my belief that this should have been developed as a PS4 game.

Marginal improvements at best. Seems like a waste of time for PD.

I agree. Reminds me of the difference of GT5 1.0 to the current version. It is a big improvement, but still feels and looks like the same game overall.

I'm excited for GT6, but I think you sound a little...well, you sound like a crazy person if you're saying people "aren't allowed" to compare the graphics in a sequel to the game that came before it. I get that you're saying the demo might not be indicative of the real game, but that's a stretch. Reasonable people see the game looks really good, but don't go too far trying to convince people of under what conditions they "may" compare the visuals.

Uh, dude, he is saying that it's not quite fair to compare the FINAL version of a game to an INCOMPLETE version of a game. Where did he say you weren't allowed to do so?

I agree with him. It's a dumb comparison. He even stated how GT5 was patched many times with various improvements.

Uh, dude, he is saying that it's not quite fair to compare the FINAL version of a game to an INCOMPLETE version of a game. Where did he say you weren't allowed to do so?

I agree with him. It's a dumb comparison. He even stated how GT5 was patched many times with various improvements.

Is there some other version of GT6 for us to compare to? It's totally fair to compare what exists. What else are people supposed to compare 5 to when deciding to purchase the game other than this?

Anyone elses demo just freezing?

Only played it a bit but so far,

No framedrops that I could notice (playing at 720p).
No stuttering/judder at all.
AI seems even slower then before
Despite the lighting and shadowing improvments, I still prefer GT5s look, although I'll forgive them if the final game is locked at 60fps even with many cars/rain wtv.
Suspension changes are apparent right away, both visually and control wise.
All tracks seem to have lighting/shadowing changes that makes me suspect they're all getting day/night cycle. Even Suzuka.

Haven't played alot though, will reserve further judgment for later.

Animal

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking that in the comparison video they are comparing two different cars?

The GT5 car looks like the race setup car while the GT6 one looks like the stock street car.

Am I seriously going to have to set my PS3 for 720p just to get some kind of solid framerate? Even for my native 1080p flat panel?

I haven't played it with a wheel yet, but from 10 minutes with a gamepad it's clear that GT6 is far more forgiving than iRacing, just like GT5 (and most other sims). There is a wider 'window' for saving big moments. iRacing is troublesome in this area. However iRacing's strength is in the detail of the vehicle behaviour at small slip angles, and responding to subtle setup changes. Unlikely that GT6 is comparable. iRacing also has very pure FFB, whereas GT5's is over-damped and artificial - I don't expect GT6 to be much different, but will report back.
Just following up on this, now that I've tried it with a wheel. The FFB is even stronger than GT5 - which wasn't required at all. I can't set the T500 any higher than '2' in the settings in GT5, and I had to put it down to '1' in GT6, and it still feels too strong. Feedback detail is maybe a tad better, but still rather artificial in feel, not as good as the PC sims.

Afro

Overall sound design still embarrassingly dreadful and "it's just a demo" is no longer a valid excuse. GT4 was released in '05. If you made me play them both blindfolded I'd have a hard time telling them apart.

The updated engine sounds might not make GT6 full release at the end of the year.
Kaz said in an interview around E3 that they would TRY and have them ready for final release.

Hmm.

Fredrik

I know it's just a demo and all... But this is very disappointing, it doesn't even feel like GT 5.5 judging by the demo. :(
I would've gladly waited a few years for a proper upgrade. Seems kind of like a waste to throw away the "6" like this imo unless they plan on releasing an upgraded PS4 version shortly afterwards.

Korezo

Am I wrong in thinking that in the comparison video they are comparing two different cars?

The GT5 car looks like the race setup car while the GT6 one looks like the stock street car.

The guy added a spoiler, and the spoiler changes car handling so the only comparison shown here are the graphics.

Was excited to download and play this but that comparison video really put me off. Barely saw any differences visually. The tracks still seem very sterile looking. I'm sure the cars "feel" different thanks to the new suspension model, but still.

Cyborg

Uhmm Gran Turismo is Game Over.....same shit all over again!
Change the formula, I dont want to get my license every time (I was in with GT1) I dont want to be able to fcking drive in grandpa cars or 100 same Nissans.

REBOOOOT this shit asap!!

Gestault

Was excited to download and play this but that comparison video really put me off. Barely saw any differences visually. The tracks still seem very sterile looking. I'm sure the cars "feel" different thanks to the new suspension model, but still.

On the plus side, it's not like we won't have a chance to play the demo on our own setups and get a better sense of things. When the goal is photo-realism, a similar "look" is appropriate (to a degree), so that much doesn't bother me. The differences are...subtle, to say the least.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Change the formula, I dont want to get my license every time (I was in with GT1) I dont want to be able to fcking drive in grandpa cars or 100 same Nissans.

Uhmm there are plenty other racing games for you to play.

LCfiner

Drove the 4 challenges with the leaf and 370Z. can’t connect online yet for further races.

I really like it. there’s much more of a sense of weight transfer and the suspension working with the cars. I haven’t put in GT5 in a while but the video posted here of a side by side confirmed my feeling that you really see (and feel) the car shifting its weight around in GT6. It’s a huge difference.

The game looks very nice and the replays are still incredible. Something about the lighting and materials for the cars that make them look shockingly realistic at a glance.

It is a shame that stands are barren and everything is so deserted. Not sure if that’s a demo thing or a GT6 thing needed to keep framerates up. I’d love to see this put on the PS4 with better environments, high LoD cars and even more realistic lighting.

Mobius 1

You do understand that this demo is the platform for a competition being held in cooperation with Nissan, yes?

f0rk

It is a shame that stands are barren and everything is so deserted. Not sure if that’s a demo thing or a GT6 thing needed to keep framerates up. I’d love to see this put on the PS4 with better environments, high LoD cars and even more realistic lighting.
To be fair in the case of Silverstone that is how it actually looks

creyas

I'm excited to do the same shit all over again. :(

driver116

Playing the demo reaffirmed my belief that this should have been developed as a PS4 game.

Marginal improvements at best. Seems like a waste of time for PD.

Apart from the possible 10million+ sales they could accrue. Yeah a waste of time.

This is a Nissan organized event to find pilots to drive Nissan cars for Nissan teams. Good luck getting another car other then a Nissan.

Not even 5 this time. Mark my words.
I'll take that bet.

Animal

Banned
So initial impressions:

Car handling, weight transfer and balance has had a huge improvement. The cars can me man handled into going around a corner faster than they want to with real steering feel. No launching your car around a bend like a missile with no corrections involved.

The cars feel their weight.

Also the graphics are much improved. Those who are familiar with racecraft know that the driver must always look where he is going and not where he is. GT5 I felt did not render where I was going properly and clearly for me to judge as early as I wanted to how to approach the oncoming corners. Now I feel they hit it spot on with GT6 Academy 2013. I truly feel like I can judge what is coming in the distance properly. I am playing 1080p and I perceived no framerate slow down during gameplay. Only once during replay. Forgiveable.

Loading times have had a huge improvement over GT5.

Polyphony Digital well done.

Dibbz

Been playing some more. Can't even push hard anymore without fucking up the lap. Love it.

All they need to do is put accurate tyre wear and temperatures in and I'm there day one. Hope to God they have that sorted. They are working with a tyre manufacturer right? They have no excuses to get it wrong.

Oh My God, it dosn't take 1 min to start a race

*cries tears of joy*

Otherwise I love the new suspension and the feel it gives to the control. Cars feels more responsive now (at least on DS3) is like you have a better feel of how they are behaving.

Not much for now, graphically it looks very similar but it's a demo so it's normal for now.

amar212

Sorry if it was asked and answered a thousand times already but about wheel support... Any luck with my Fanatec?

I tried CSW in the PS3 mode and feel is great.

Deadzone is almost completely gone and FFB details are great compared to GT5 IMO

Advice: before booting GTACC2013 start GT5, go to Options and to the wheel options under which your Fanatec wheel is mapped (G25/G27) and take a picture of the settings in order to map it in GTACC once you boot it. It will save you the hussle of trial-and-error unless you know your settings 100%

I'll take that bet.

Result will be the same as 3 years ago.

Bergsy

So initial impressions:

Car handling, weight transfer and balance has had a huge improvement. The cars can me man handled into going around a corner faster than they want to with real steering feel. No launching your car around a bend like a missile with no corrections involved.

The cars feel their weight.

Also the graphics are much improved. Those who are familiar with racecraft know that the driver must always look where he is going and not where he is. GT5 I felt did not render where I was going properly and clearly for me to judge as early as I wanted to how to approach the oncoming corners. Now I feel they hit it spot on with GT6 Academy 2013. I truly feel like I can judge what is coming in the distance properly. I am playing 1080p and I perceived no framerate slow down during gameplay. Only once during replay. Forgiveable.

Loading times have had a huge improvement over GT5.

Polyphony Digital well done.

My feelings exactly, throwing the cars round a corner is a much more enjoyable experience now also!

Elios83

I have to say that I'm impressed, the improvements in lighting, shadows and texture quality are great. Also it's the first GT game with good looking trees :O
Improvements in car handling are also immediatly evident, the car's weight visibly transfers thanks to the new suspension system.
Now of course let's be real, this is not a full new game, it's just the best GT game the PS3 can offer. People expecting a next gen leap on the same platform are of course going to be disappointed.
I was expecting basically a data disk so I'm impressed, but I'm not going to buy this at full price, I think I'm going to wait for the definitive PS4 version with all the DLCs included.

velociraptor

This is a Nissan organized event to find pilots to drive Nissan cars for Nissan teams. Good luck getting another car other then a Nissan.

I'll take that bet.

I would be extremely impressed if GT manages 5 million or more in sales. We're nearing the end of the PS3's lifecycle. This generation feels dead.

amar212

I would be extremely impressed if GT manages 5 million or more in sales. We're nearing the end of the PS3's lifecycle. This generation feels dead.

In my racing community only 1/4 or even less members will be able to purchase PS4 during the release period, mainly due to finances.

My friends from PS2-era who never bought PS3 because it was damn expensive backthen are lining up to buy PS3 for this Christmas, mainly planning PES2014, GT6 and GTA V purchases, not giving a single damn about PS4 - they plan to buy it *maybe* for holiday 2014.

This will be the only new GT game until very end of 2014, maybe even longer. From this point I can only presume how GT Academy 2014 will be available for PS4 not earlier then June 2014 as a standalone application but I will not hold my fingers crossed for Max Free Vanilla's wet dreams about GT6 being released on PS4 in 2014 with all DLC included, OMGFGHGHFHG, etc.

Top Bottom