• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

ruttyboy

After reading this thread at work I was expecting to be disappointed with the demo.

I don't know what you're all smoking because after golding everything this evening I can only describe it as glorious!

The presentation is fantastic, love the flag transitions, really adds a touch of class that was missing in GT5 and even distracts you from the loading. The menus are slick and quick as hell too.

The load times are great, was clocking it at under 20 seconds from selecting the race to fully loaded.

The graphics are brilliant, they seem a lot cleaner than GT5 and I think I saw the 'stutter' people are mentioning, but I thought it was a camera effect at first, in my head it's just comes across as vibration from driving the car :)

Even the engine sounds seems better to me, the 370Z round Grand Valley is much meatier than I remember it ever being in GT5.

And the physics! Amazing, I don't give a shit whether they are ultra realistic or not, they are so much more fun to drive with. Cornering feels so much more natural now, correcting the car is a pleasure, hell even the Leaf is a right laugh to throw round the track :D

Only downsides I can see are that they wasted their time modelling Silverstone when there are so many amazing tracks in the world, the AI is still total pish and it's not as long as last year's academy.

Wonder what the 'bonus content' is that we'll get?

This is lovely, and has gotten me very excited about GT6 later this year. Even the menu music gets me excited, but I love my GT.

Handling feels great, with weight shift and grip loss feeling lovely. Framerate isn't great, with frequent drops with cars in front of you, hopefully it might improved but probably not. Lighting changes look lovely and the Autumn Ring looks wonderfully dressed. Front End is better too, I am hoping the final game will have a better interface, but GT5 demo and Prologue had great front ends and the final game.. not so much.

Anyway, the important part is still rad; driving a car around a track has never felt so good.

The Stealth Fox

I want to know what changes they've made to the career mode and whether mechanical damage is making its way into career mode. And is the sensitivity of the cosmetic damage going to be improved at all?

I mean, this demo looks very nice and I'm optimistic (THEY GOT RID OF ALPHA AND CLEANED UP THE IQ!!), but it's those major changes that I want to see. I want a GT4 like robust career mode, required license tests (instead of them being just a formality), PP system and mechanical damage integrated into career.

Also the graphics are much improved. Those who are familiar with racecraft know that the driver must always look where he is going and not where he is. GT5 I felt did not render where I was going properly and clearly for me to judge as early as I wanted to how to approach the oncoming corners. Now I feel they hit it spot on with GT6 Academy 2013. I truly feel like I can judge what is coming in the distance properly.
I don't really understand this. It's running at the same resolution as GT5, with what appears to be very similar AA. The view of upcoming corners should be pretty much the same.

Avtomat

After reading this thread at work I was expecting to be disappointed with the demo.

I don't know what you're all smoking because after golding everything this evening I can only describe it as glorious!

Pretty much the scenario I went through this evening, what the hell were people expecting 32 cars on track, 4k and full damage model?

Only downsides I can see are that they wasted their time modelling Silverstone when there are so many amazing tracks in the world, the AI is still total pish and it's not as long as last year's academy.

Wonder what the 'bonus content' is that we'll get?

All right dude we no longer friends go to the naughty corner.

AI being terrible I think is down to the fact that it has to be easy enough for everyone to complete.

Looks much cleaner and the lighting is fantastic in the Autumn Ring. Playing in 1080p here and can't say I've noticed the framerate. And I think I'm going crazy but it seems there's atmospheric optics going on with depth, will boot up GT5 to check with Suzuka.

Handling-wise I feel the car more now, but the body roll is (visually) giving me a headache!
Riding the curbs in Nurburgring will be fun... :p
Everything loads so quickly, and I like the new garage and store looks.
Bodes well for GT6. Excited!

Snubbers

Well that was a fun couple of hours!

The new physics aren't quite good indeed, they are marred slightly by the still a bit numb FFB, but you can definitely feel the more realistic suspension model with the far more progressive weight transfer.

Other then that, the new dynamic range seems nicer graphically, shadows are improved, if I was to nitpick, everything still looks a bit flat and sterile, but that is PDs artistic choice no doubt.

The sound is not much better, maybe a little improved? That and the FFB are really the only immersion breakers..

I popped in 5 laps, was struggling to get into the 22s,then realised traction was on! Turned that off and set steering to simulation, and it felt much better! I popped in a quick 2:21.2xx with loads more to come off, will be giving it some time throughout the week!

If anyone else experiencing frame rate drops?
Yeah, no tearing, but pretty low framerate using the cockpit view, and occasionally in bumper cam... I don't agree with Kaz on the graphics before framerate, but clearly you just have to put up with it!

I did like the menus.. Much cleaner, not quite super slick, but it bodes well for the full game..

CamHostage

Goddamn! Usually we spend years talking and talking and talking about a Gran Turismo release, this time I feel like I'm playing it before I even know it exists...

Yes, anyone at 1080p at least. And if you find it hard to notice low frame rates, try turning your wipers on in cockpit view.

Well at least they did fix a few missing shadows from some brake marker signs, and the sky does look more colourful now.
Ugh. Is there any easy way to switch between 720p and 1080p in the game? I don't want to have to go to display settings each time.

Ugh. Is there any easy way to switch between 720p and 1080p in the game? I don't want to have to go to display settings each time.

Don't think so :/

I don't really understand this. It's running at the same resolution as GT5, with what appears to be very similar AA. The view of upcoming corners should be pretty much the same.

Maybe the view is slightly higher up in the cockpit and 'bumper' view now. I haven't checked.

How do I turn off my windshield wipers?

Press the windshield wiper button! Try R3.

Uhmm Gran Turismo is Game Over.....same shit all over again!
Change the formula, I dont want to get my license every time (I was in with GT1) I dont want to be able to fcking drive in grandpa cars or 100 same Nissans.

REBOOOOT this shit asap!!
Licenses are optional at in GT5. You want pd to reboot a series you don't play?

SkylineRKR

Color me impressed, and I utterly hated GT5.

This just looks and feels better, and issues like the loading and extremely bad interface seem to have been fixed. I like how the cars behave in this, its much better here. They aren't really 'grounded' anymore if that makes any sense. Autumn Ring looks Ps3 worthy this time.

Cockpit view framerate is shit, sound is still shit. There are still quite some issues.

educator

I think it's L3. Or just leave them on and think of the horrendous frame rate as an extra challenge.

I'll try that, thanks. Haven't noticed any frame rate issues, they are just really in the way considering it isn't even raining. I just quit the demo 5 minutes ago, but hopefully I'll get to try faster cars. The LEAF challenge never really felt like a challenge, and my Nissan was painfully slow..

Skunkers

First impressions: New GUI is great. Load times are so quick it's almost witchcraft compared to GT5.

I've generally felt Forza 3/4's physics models were better than GT5's, the new upgrades in 6 throw into starker relief why that is. Weight transfer and on-throttle rotation are vastly improved here, and cars feel much more neutral than the understeer-heavy GT5 model. Pretty major improvement all around in terms of physics. While weight transfer is highly improved, like GT5, snapback is still way too harsh when regaining traction during counter steering; though I suspect this is more an issue of how GT handles stick input versus being an actual problem with the physics model, I don't have a force feedback wheel which would be needed to accurately judge this, but I still say Forza handles it better stick versus stick.

Graphics are improved over GT5 as well, shadows in particular seem much improved and show none of the weird glitchy blockiness from GT5. Something does feel a bit sterile about them though, at least on Silverstone.

Really hyped for the final game though.

On the plus side, it's not like we won't have a chance to play the demo on our own setups and get a better sense of things. When the goal is photo-realism, a similar "look" is appropriate (to a degree), so that much doesn't bother me. The differences are...subtle, to say the least.

I guess it's because I was really disappointed with GT5. Don't get me wrong, I still put in 100+ hours into it, but I was expecting a significant leap from GT4, which I don't feel I got. I get a similar feeling with the impressions of the GT6 Demo. For example, I wish they would expand the track selection to include point-to-point mountain racing e.g. Initial D-type mountain tracks. The non-premium cars in GT5 bugged me, too. Hated those ugly lazy textures.

I don't think it's 1080p anymore guys, looking at that video. I'll wait for DF, but I think it's 720p.

There's a noticeable performance difference between 720p and 1080p modes apparently, so there's gotta be a resolution difference too.

Haven't really tested 1080p yet but my guess is it's 1280x1080 again.

Snubbers

So what is everyones times on the full lap 370z event?

I'm at 2:24.1
2:21.2xx after 10 laps, I want to get into the low 20s, I don't think I could get into the 19s..those people are insane...

I was struggling to get out of the 23s until I turned traction off and turned off the racing line...

Animal

Banned

I don't agree that the AA is similar. Either that or there is some kind of tessellation trickery going on but the difference is noticeable to me.

We just downloaded the demo and i watched my brother drive for a few laps and I hate to say it, but that framerate in the cockpit view was unacceptable. I don't understand what they're doing here, do they think this is okay? The game didn't even look that different from 5, so why is it running this much worse? I'm seriously annoyed right now with what I saw.

netBuff

We just downloaded the demo and i watched my brother drive for a few laps and I hate to say it, but that framerate in the cockpit view was unacceptable. I don't understand what they're doing here, do they think this is okay? The game didn't even look that different from 5, so why is it running this much worse? I'm seriously annoyed right now with what I saw.

The game is still quite a few months out, get annoyed when the final versions has the same framerate issues as the demo. It's premature at the moment.

Solal

It seems to me that GT6 colors are less accurate, less realistic than GT5's.

In a way, I feel like Gt got forza-ed in terms of colors palettes... looks more vibrant but less photorealistic.

Don't you think?

I hope the the load time performance in the demo is indicative of the final game, but something tells me it won't be.

Definitely noticed some frame rate droppage when running in 1080p with the in car view.

I like the new suspension system, it's absence is very noticeable when going back to GT5.

Car sounds need to get better, I mean come on.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Car sounds need to get better, I mean come on.
Pretty sure Yamauchi has said they're placeholders and they're working on a different system for the sounds.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-engine-sounds/

GTP: Are the engine sounds that we hear in the demo representative of what we will hear in the final game?

KY: “No, those are just in there as sound effects.”

GTP: So we will see some changes in that area?

KY: “Actually, we are doing research right now to generate the sounds in a completely different way. I’m not sure if it is actually going to make it into GT6 in time yet, but we’ll have to see.”

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Pretty sure it's one more lie from Yamauchi...

Iconrolleyes.gif

Solal

The most worrying thing regarding the framerate is that there is no opponent on the track and the framerate already dips... I don't think any optimzation can make you gain that kind of power...

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just played it. Really crazy how much the physics have changed. I thought the lighting in videos looked less impressive for GT6, but playing it I've changed my mind...it's really quite nice. Also it's awesome to see how much better autumn ring looks. Really wish grand valley speedway got the same attention. :(

This game will be godly on PS4. As it stands it would be a fun game to tie me over until next gen if I weren't getting a PS4 day one. :p

It seems to me that GT6 colors are less accurate, less realistic than GT5's.

In a way, I feel like Gt got forza-ed in terms of colors palettes... looks more vibrant but less photorealistic.

Don't you think?

I agree. I prefer the vibrant colors though. Looks nice on my TV.

R0nn

Bigger difference then I thought

itol28POkH8fa.gif

Could just be me, but aren't these different times of day? It seems the GT6 race is taking place during sundown, while the GT5 race is during midday. Also, I noticed that GT5 has crowds on the stands at the side of the track, while GT6 is barren.

Top Bottom