• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online microtransactions made nearly $66.4 million in three months

Scum

Nirolak, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the exact shenanigans that TakeTwo/Rockstar's CEO wanted, going forward? Full priced games with micro transactions...
...or am I thinking of someone else? Either way, looks like he might have his cake and eat it as well. D:

syko de4d

Doesnt sound that much for a game that sold so much units. With a normal Multiplayer and a MP or Story DLC 3 months after launch they could have made more money.

Marvel

could never
9412061220_bcbd20b5e8_o.gif

gioGAF

I hate all the morons that made that $66.4 million happen. What used to be unlockables or part of the package are forever locked behind these idiotic pay walls because of the abundance of sheep that are so eager to get fleeced.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nirolak, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the exact shenanigans that TakeTwo/Rockstar's CEO wanted, going forward? Full priced games with micro transactions...
...or am I thinking of someone else? Either way, looks like he might have his cake and eat it as well. D:

You're thinking of the correct person.

Occam

I hate all the morons that made that $66.4 million happen. What used to be unlockables or part of the package are forever locked behind these idiotic pay walls because of the abundance of sheep that are so eager to get fleeced.

That's all that needs to be said. Many thanks to those who bought horse armor.

I disagree. Been playing with my close friends for months now and we still are having a blast. I think the fact that we can determine our own rules of play factor big into our enjoyment. The missions are also really fun. I'm excited for online DLC.

People keep saying this, and all I can say is "good for you." I don't believe that you should be having fun in spite of the game's design, especially one like GTA. GTAV is the most expensive and highest grossing video game to date; there's no good reason that someone can't just turn on GTA:O and hop right into a particular gametype. Millions of concurrent players at some point, yet because of free-aim/soft-lock lobby splits and matchmaking that seemingly can't find other people, you're forced to coordinate with friends, something not everyone is able or willing to do.

My schedule's completely different from most of my friends, and if I want to play that awesome "capture the flag" type mission with the dirty cop's coke with 15 other people, I have to rely on the game to help me do that. Even with adding a ton of people to my friends list, it was next to impossible for me to set that up if those people weren't currently online. And good luck to me if I'm trying to get a bunch of randoms to stay in the game.

All of this microtransaction stuff should've been for cosmetic or legitimately "extra-feeling" content, not in order to buy basic stuff, like a car (in a game centered on stealing cars, no less).

Yeaup, gamers have no one but themselves to blame for this microtransaction nonsense. I mean, this stuff isn't even content and they've made 66 million on it. Jesus.

KalBalboa

Banned
Makes you wonder if they'll ever make GTA Online a separate download at some point. They probably don't need to, though, based on how overwhelmingly successful GTAV has been (and for good reason).

Scum

Not a lot for the numbers sold

Doesnt sound that much for a game that sold so much units. With a normal Multiplayer and a MP or Story DLC 3 months after launch they could have made more money.

It's something back for nothing whatsoever. Money towards the marketing budget of the next game for doing bugger all.

You're thinking of the correct person.

Bugger. Oh dear. :-/

Zok310

Banned
The grind to get money in GTA5 online is the only reason why they banked in so much off the shark cards.
Me and 3 friend put together and bought the $49 card and split the money 3 ways.
It was a lot better that grinding.
Still playing, having fun waiting for the heist if they ever do launch it.

And now other publishers will scream ME TOO and it'll be in every game

yes it has been done before but when it's done with success in such a popular game it's like cod or WoW , suddenly everyone will copy it

ugh

GeoGonzo

And if I remember correctly there was a thread about it and at least the first page had a bunch of people completely failing to read the first post and going "right on, this guy has the right idea" and such.

This devious plan had been a success from the very beginning.

Dabanton

Expect that to go up now they've done things like stopped you being able to 'gift' other players money. They've tightened things up considerably. Even I was tempted to buy $100,000 the other night 240 MS points that's fairly cheap all things considered. In the end I decided against it.

I can only imagine what they have planned for heists you could steal this item but you could also just buy it. And for everyone on here saying they don't play online they lobby's are always packed and I've seen tons of new players joining.

Going to be hella interesting the next few months.

Lololol...While these people were spending REAL money for GTA cash, I was making millions with that motorcycle money glitch. Too bad gta online was boring as fuck or else I wouldn't of done that shit.

Scum

And if I remember correctly there was a thread about it and at least the first page had a bunch of people completely failing to read the first post and going "right on, this guy has the right idea" and such.

This devious plan had been a success from the very beginning.

We're all screwed.

Oersted

Who isn't going for it nowadays?

Ploid 3.0

This is embarrassing, well, we're screwed. Madden microtransations a thing yet? If not EA have a reason to make it one now. Every publisher with a very successful franchise will, even to a F2P model that you actually have to pay for like GTAO. Boring grindy crappy reward games that push you to want to pay to advance at a reasonable rate.

Scum

Who isn't going for it nowadays?
And that's the shite thing about it all. Everyone's doing it. :-/

This is embarrassing, well, we're screwed. Madden microtransations a thing yet? If not EA have a reason to make it one now. Every publisher with a very successful franchise will, even to a F2P model that you actually have to pay for like GTAO. Boring grindy crappy reward games that push you to want to pay to advance at a reasonable rate.

FIFA Madden Ultimate Team.

Ploid 3.0

GTAO should have fell flat on it's face. The game is junk and ruined the potential of a awesome online mode for GTA5. Nerfed ok rewards into the ground, broke features to slow people down on top of it, and couldn't make stable online modes with ok match making or such at all. Horrible lobby system, racing is pretty bad with constant bumping taking a person out of the race at times especially when not intending to screw them other.

Top Bottom