• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V is Getting Hammered By Steam User Reviews. "Save Open IV" Petition over 40k

Budi

Can I just say I'm glad that this review bombing is causing so much discomfort to the fanboys? It's the most tangible outcome that we'll realistically see and it's pretty fucking great.

Where have you seen that, any links?

Yeah, the problem with just voting with your wallet has always been that it doesn't send a specific message. They're not psychic, and the much more likely conclusion they'd draw from lower PC sales is interest in PC versions declining. User reviews will at least inform them if they want to hear their audience out. It could go nowhere, but it's probably the best and most convenient option of protest for most fans, and it's worth a shot.

As someone who doesn't have GTA5 on Steam yet, I'm not sure what to do anymore. Buy it and give them money they don't deserve? Or pass and miss out on something I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy?

Voting with your wallet while giving critique in their forums, through twitter, facebook, email etc. It can work, just look at Xbox One for example. People were vocal and Microsoft backpedaled. Steam reviews are quite insufficient since it requires that you already actually bought the game, you can't vote with your wallet and raise your concern anymore. To participate in this protest you need to buy the game. Use more direct means to communicate that you aren't accepting their behaviour, hence not supporting them. The link with the lost sales coming from the modding restrictions isn't any clearer if the complaint comes from Steam reviews rather than forums/twitter etc. It's not like they were expecting those people writing reviews to buy another copy to their account.

To your question, I'd boycott Rockstar for this and rather invest in a smaller dev(s) that have made an enjoyable game(s) you are interested in. =P

The player increase is from the gun runner's update. It'll drop off as people get bored again. Keep in mind FiveM (which has significantly more viewers on Twitch, even on the day of the gunrunner update releasing) doesn't even touch GTAV's appid meaning those players are uncounted but they're all legitimate since it checks with the Social Club and bans are steamid-based per server.

This is what FiveM's server browser looks like consistently, no matter what time of day (and people are just learning how to script decent gamemodes and FiveM itself is in pre-alpha explaining the low server counts, eventually it'll be just like MTA with 200 player servers linked through SQL databases and it's practically a pseudo-MMO). Every single one of these people bought the game. Don't see why they are so set out to ruin a good, profitable thing for themselves.
LImrqfg.jpg

jtb

Banned
Whatever.

Corporations are not your friends.

Have yet to see any evidence of Steam reviews being all that successful in shifting consumer sentiment or sales.

Even when I agree with them (the shift towards shitting against Paradox's pretty terrible DLC policy, for example), I don't know that they're actually changing any minds. After all, following reading a few of their reviews, I ended up buying the DLC I wanted anyways.

Yeah, the problem with just voting with your wallet has always been that it doesn't send a specific message. They're not psychic, and the much more likely conclusion they'd draw from lower PC sales is interest in PC versions declining. User reviews will at least inform them if they want to hear their audience out. It could go nowhere, but it's probably the best and most convenient option of protest for most fans, and it's worth a shot.

So your position is that user reviews are for the publishers, not other users, correct?

Basketball

GTA v and GTA 6 will be fine

No matter what the devs or publishers do modders will find a way to modify the game by the simple fact that the series has so much demand.
It's the same with cracking a game. The demand trumps all.

Drek

Take-Two is being greedy and vindictive because they feel their precious Shark Cards micro-transaction scheme is being encroached on. That's it. There's no real nuance to it.

1. T2 is a company, it doesn't have emotions. It's executive staff do, but I doubt fans register enough for them to actually feel vindictive towards user created content.

2. T2's business is selling shark cards. They aren't being greedy in wanting to maximize shark card sales. That's their job/business.

3. Therefore attempting to curtail anything that encroaches on their ability to sell shark cards is in their best interests.

4. People take this shit personally and think these companies are personally lying to them when in reality T2 likely just paid a legal consulting firm to round up any and all active modding of GTA games and hit them with C&Ds, rather than spend the time and money trying to suss out what is and is not impacting shark card sales.

5. Steam reviews are generally pointless for something as high profile as GTA, so spam away, but the only people who are going to give a shit are other players. It's yelling in an echo chamber. GTA doesn't sell off of steam review scores. T2 isn't putting GTAV in a humble bundle "mostly positive" or similar set in our lifetimes. This isn't going to result in anything positive.

6. The petition makes a lot of sense though, as something like that provides a clear statement of disagreement from a community, the likes of which leads to a company going through the additional legal and technical costs to parse out what is and isn't hurting their business model with a more discerning eye. Unfortunately GTA and Rockstar are so successful that I'm unsure if even 75,000 fans signing a petition will even rate with them. If everyone who signed the petition refused to buy RDR2 they'd likely be unable to even tell in their total sales data. (I did sign the petition BTW).

7. Lastly, it's a shame that T2 doesn't appreciate what they have here. More and more companies are trying to get into the user created content paradigm. T2 is sitting on one of the most engaged grassroots modding communities out there and instead of nurturing it they'd rather just smother the entire community with the same blanket because some of it involves running separate servers from their cash cow. It is very unfortunate, though it'd be a great time for another developer to swoop in and reap the rewards. A supported fan modding community for Watch Dogs 2 would be a brilliant strategic move for Ubi as one example.

1. T2 is a company, it doesn't have emotions. It's executive staff do, but I doubt fans register enough for them to actually feel vindictive towards user created content.

2. T2's business is selling shark cards. They aren't being greedy in wanting to maximize shark card sales. That's their job/business.

3. Therefore attempting to curtail anything that encroaches on their ability to sell shark cards is in their best interests.

4. People take this shit personally and think these companies are personally lying to them when in reality T2 likely just paid a legal consulting firm to round up any and all active modding of GTA games and hit them with C&Ds, rather than spend the time and money trying to suss out what is and is not impacting shark card sales.

5. Steam reviews are generally pointless for something as high profile as GTA, so spam away, but the only people who are going to give a shit are other players. It's yelling in an echo chamber. GTA doesn't sell off of steam review scores. T2 isn't putting GTAV in a humble bundle "mostly positive" or similar set in our lifetimes. This isn't going to result in anything positive.

6. The petition makes a lot of sense though, as something like that provides a clear statement of disagreement from a community, the likes of which leads to a company going through the additional legal and technical costs to parse out what is and isn't hurting their business model with a more discerning eye. Unfortunately GTA and Rockstar are so successful that I'm unsure if even 75,000 fans signing a petition will even rate with them. If everyone who signed the petition refused to buy RDR2 they'd likely be unable to even tell in their total sales data. (I did sign the petition BTW).

7. Lastly, it's a shame that T2 doesn't appreciate what they have here. More and more companies are trying to get into the user created content paradigm. T2 is sitting on one of the most engaged grassroots modding communities out there and instead of nurturing it they'd rather just smother the entire community with the same blanket because some of it involves running separate servers from their cash cow. It is very unfortunate, though it'd be a great time for another developer to swoop in and reap the rewards. A supported fan modding community for Watch Dogs 2 would be a brilliant strategic move for Ubi as one example.

Wanting to maximize shark cards IS greed. Their business is profits. gtav has sold astronomically.

Anything else is pure greed. Did you see the prices for the new stuff in the latest dlc! They are basically forcing you to cheat or buy a shark card.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If Take 2 was smart(this has most likely already been suggested) they'd buy Open IV from the modders(or bring them on board) and just sell Open IV themselves and have dedicated servers for people who want to use that mod system. IMHO, everyone wins. People still get OPEN IV and servers to play on and Take 2 makes money.

Drek

Wanting to maximize shark cards IS greed. Their business is profits. gtav has sold astronomically.

Anything else is pure greed. Did you see the prices for the new stuff in the latest dlc! They are basically forcing you to cheat or buy a shark card.

Greed is a human emotion, T2 is a company designed to make money. That's literally it's reason for existing. By comparison you're being "greedy" for constantly sucking in the air you breathe.

T2 exists to make money. Don't blame them for making money. Blame them for legally carpet bombing a mod scene when precision and tact would have likely gotten them the results they actually wanted, if they could just be bothered to take the time.

E-flux

Greed is a human emotion, T2 is a company designed to make money. That's literally it's reason for existing. By comparison you're being "greedy" for constantly sucking in the air you breathe.

T2 exists to make money. Don't blame them for making money. Blame them for legally carpet bombing a mod scene when precision and tact would have likely gotten them the results they actually wanted, if they could just be bothered to take the time.
That's such an BS argument that lets companies get away with shady & greedy shit.
You can still be a company and make money without fucking over the users.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
So your position is that user reviews are for the publishers, not other users, correct?
Um, no? Others have said it numerous times already so I didn't find it necessary to point out that these negative reviews inform others of the current state of the game too. The average Steam user review is useless anyway. Like, "Press 'E' on any chicken and it follows you." If someone told me that was a full review and asked me to guess what it was for, I wouldn't even be able to narrow it down to the genre.

BHK3

Banned
Kill one 5 more pop up.

I've never actually seen this be true with the vast majority of any situation. Pirate websites get shut down and everyone scatters without anything that usually takes its place. Mods in general outside of Bethesda games aren't even a thing either, GTA losing it's mods is very serious if T2 lock it down.

I will always find it ironic how Dan Houser criticizes and parodies corporate American society in Grand Theft Auto, yet his own company and publisher represent the excess of that culture in the games (they obviously have every right to do everything best for business, I just find it rich). You've got the lawsuits, microtransactions, forced RSC PC client service/super late PC releases, pushing out a long-time employee, etc. Maybe it's time to tone down on the lazy humor when you don't even have a leg to stand on.

At the end of the day, I feel for the modders and wish Take-Two/Rockstar would back down, but knowing these companies they won't.

Ha these are exactly my sentiments, how can they criticize american culture when in their own game they put an in game ad for the shark cards.

Ha these are exactly my sentiments, how can they criticize american culture when in their own game they put an in game ad for the shark cards.
They make in-game jokes about cloud computing, and GTA Online was plagued by issues with their cloud system. They're not as self-aware as they think they are.

Mahonay

Banned

Some of what you're saying here is right, but companies are not sentient inanimate objects. They are run by people, other humans. Said people have chosen to bleed their already paying customers for as much money as humanely possible, even if it means sacrificing an entire community. Being a corporation does not mean you can shit on your customers and expect gratitude. Take-Two can get fucked for their way of handling this. They chose the most aggressive and anti-customer route possible. That was a deliberate choice. They went out of their way to do it. That is vindictive. And greedy because THEY ALREADY HAVE OUR MONEY.

Drek

That's such an BS argument that lets companies get away with shady & greedy shit.
You can still be a company and make money without fucking over the users.

You can still make money and not fuck people over, but T2 is choosing a different path. That's their prerogative as a for profit business. This is video games, not healthcare or safe drinking water.

Also, my argument doesn't let companies get away with greedy shit. Assigning human emotion to companies and treating them as a sentient entity is what lets things like Citizens United and "corporations are people my friend" to become part of our culture. It is nothing more than an instrument by which T2's ownership group makes money. Those people could be defined as "greedy", but I'd like to see a rational outline on how attempting to maximize the profits generated from a non-essential fetish project falls into the immoral spectrum that should, if applied correctly, be inherent with calling someone greedy.

Some of what you're saying here is right, but companies are not sentient inanimate objects. They are run by people, other humans.
Right, and that's an important distinction to keep.

Said people have chosen to bleed their already paying customers for as much money as humanely possible, even if it means sacrificing an entire community.
A community they aren't a part of and are making no money off of. A community that provides a free alternative to their paid business model in some cases. I don't see how that's surprising.

Being a corporation does not mean you can shit on your customers and expect gratitude. Take-Two can get fucked for their way of handling this. They chose the most aggressive and anti-customer route possible. That was a deliberate choice. They went out of their way to do it. That is vindictive. And greedy because THEY ALREADY HAVE OUR MONEY.
1. I don't think the people making these decisions at T2 expect gratitude from this. I'd imagine their only real expectation is to make money, the entire purpose T2 and GTA exist.
2. I think you're overstating even how aware of the community T2's executives even are when stating that they made a deliberate choice to take "the most aggressive and anti-consumer route possible". I'm betting they're oblivious and simply handed the response off to legal, telling them to nuke all fan projects that could potentially impact their GTA Online business model. Legal would then interpret that as "nuke all fan projects" as it's simply easier and legally enforceable.

It isn't vindictive, it's just callous.

3. Yes, they already have people's money. They want to make more of it, that's why they exist. How does that inherently make them greedy? Greedy implies an excessive desire for something, it's hard to demonstrate how a publicly traded company is evidencing "excessive" desire for money when that's why it exists, short of the company causing meaningful damage in other areas (i.e. the environment, worker safety, etc.). No one's life is at risk here, this is an exchange of player freedoms in a video game for T2 theoretical profits. Tough to see the moral demonstration of "excess" there.

Again, I think attempting to get the attention of T2 on this is absolutely the correct course of action for the community and that T2's corporate agenda here is likely actually causing more harm than their believed good, but hyperbole isn't worth much, especially in a fetish industry where companies including T2 have seen that despite all the rage gamers still show up and buy their games like clockwork.

joecanada

companies don't exist to make money. running a company by exclusively attempting to bleed your customers dry is basically a terrible policy for tons of reasons. one is that your consumers will wise up to you and turn on you but there's a bunch of other reasons too.

Their job is also to sell the base game (which has maintained its price pretty well throughout the years).

2/3.) If they honestly believe that things like ENB graphical mods, Liberty City in OpenIV, FiveM and even smaller things like the Iron Man/Spiderman mod and are eating away at their shark cards, they're delusional and they're attacking the kind of content that resulted in hundreds of millions of views of exposure across social media. When it comes to FiveM in particular, the fact that playing FiveM like GTA:Online gets you banned within minutes should say something about how different of an experience it is in comparison. If Rockstar doesn't want to pay attention to the multiplayer role playing scene that has existed and thrived in their games since 2003 (5 years before GTA even got multiplayer on an official capacity), that's on them.

4.) OpenIV has been a well known contribution to the GTA modding community for nearly a decade now. Even if you want to make the argument that Take Two is only handing this to a legal team to do their thing (without knowing the facts, pretty damn negligent), what's Rockstar's excuse when they know damn well that OpenIV doesn't facilitate piracy and neither does FiveM which they banned the creators for? They're not as innocent as the community makes them out to be and modders should take this personally.

5.) Short of being able to jump to the alternate universe where modding doesn't exist, we won't know how much modding helped sell GTAV but we can certainly measure the hundreds of millions of impressions (free marketing) that came as a result of these mods and I think it's important to acknowledge that the series has been benefiting from these mods for 15 years now. I can't possibly see their damn shark cards outweighing the kind of exposure these mods have given them and I am praying this is something that is brought up during the next earnings call because someone is rocking the boat unnecessarily.

They make in-game jokes about cloud computing, and GTA Online was plagued by issues with their cloud system. They're not as self-aware as they think they are.

Thats because Rockstar's level of Satire is "oh hey theres a cab company called Uber in real life, lets put a cab company in our game called BOOBer roflmao XD"

It's a good effort. That said, RS is one of the few devs that can afford to ignore any criticism. Still better to say something than just accept something you don't like.

Coreda

That being said, if you care about GTA5 modding, I'd keep your GTA5 install from updating. Who knows what they're going to do now.

Is this possible long-term? Read somewhere that even launched in Steam's offline mode the game itself requires online 'checks' every-so-often.

I guess it gets sent to Rockstar but nobody is going to care since a petition is the weakest thing you can do

Yeah. Exactly.

And the whole "lets downvote the game!" Thing just wont do anything. Its GTA5. Its been out years.
They dont care about negative reviews on a storefront lol

Kssio_Aug

I'll laugh if gta never appears on pc again. And I was there when the first one released.

Are you f***** kidding me? You came back to this thread just to shitpost once more??? Do you intend to jump here every once in a while, shitpost, and disappear ignoring what everyone said just so you can came back to do the same thing again with a straight face?

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

RDR2 online is going to be amazing.

I love my clean GTAO on ps4 (so far, fingers crossed but it wouldn't really matter as we're nearing the end if a map expansion isn't coming). Lastgen is a shithole and I wouldn't touch pc with a 10 foot pole either.

Ah, the naivete. Your post assumes that a business entity's actions taken to make money, assuming perfect legality but sufficient "greediness," could not rise to the level of blameworthiness or wrongdoing. That's complete and utter nonsense. Though perhaps I should have assumed from the analogy to a human being respiring that you didn't know what you were talking about.

As someone who doesn't have GTA5 on Steam yet, I'm not sure what to do anymore. Buy it and give them money they don't deserve? Or pass and miss out on something I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy?
Can still play it. :/
Borrow it from a friend, buy used for console. Steam family share? Without modding those are all equal now anyways. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Only way T2 listens to this in the future is if the next GTA bombs because of this. This is highly unlikely because the average gamer on consoles doesn't care about this issue.

I guess it gets sent to Rockstar but nobody is going to care since a petition is the weakest thing you can do
I'd say the weakest thing you can do is sit back and do nothing, while trying to demean the efforts of other people who are making their voices heard.

Only way T2 listens to this in the future is if the next GTA bombs because of this. This is highly unlikely because the average gamer on consoles doesn't care about this issue.
GTA V has around 7 million owners on Steam alone. I'm sure the shareholders would be thrilled to hear about a large portion of potential customers being less likely to purchase the next game due to reasons.

Rmagnus

Banned
T2 is not forcing anyone to buy their games at gunpoint. They want to maximize profits so if you don't like what they are doing don't buy their games? I don't really see what's the big problem here.

dreamfall

Let your voice be heard. If it starts with a grass roots Steam review takeover, so be it. Outlawing modding for supposedly interfering with their online economy when it's mostly on the single player component sets a fucked up precedent. This isn't hurting anyone and the backlash (whether you believe it's warranted or not) is the gift/curse of having an open review forum.

I love GTA V for a lot of things. I've sunk in hundreds of hours, triple dipped, dabble in Online, etc. Let players air out their grievances. I don't speak for any corporation, and if you believe in Rockstar or any of their games - don't stand for this shit.

Mozendo

T2 is not forcing anyone to buy their games at gunpoint. They want to maximize profits so if you don't like what they are doing don't buy their games? I don't really see what's the big problem here.
What does this have to do with what's going on? People already purchased GTA V and are upset there was a C&D on a mod tool. They can't unbuy GTA V

Coreda

You can actually install older versions of games by using steam's developer console.

Yeah, I've done this myself, it's just there was a dev who mentioned the game itself checks Rockstar's servers or something and they were expecting the older version to be prevented from launching at a certain point. Not sure if they're right or not so thought I'd ask.

failgubbe

I'd say the weakest thing you can do is sit back and do nothing, while trying to demean the efforts of other people who are making their voices heard.

Lol? when has a petition EVER done anything other than to make people feel good about doing fuck all, it's about as effective as likes on Facebook Take two and Rockstar won't care and gamers won't care when the next GTA rolls out.

Cue the next outrage

Hektor

BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS TWO YEARS AFTER PEOPLE ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME???

Like, are you all people really this dense or just shitposting?

Lol? when has a petition EVER done anything other than to make people feel good about doing fuck all, it's about as effective as 1 like = 1 prayer or something along those lines. Take two and Rockstar won't care and gamers won't care when the next GTA rolls out.

Cue the next outrage

Xbone one DRM, Paid Mods on steam etc

Both changed because people were "outraged"

failgubbe

BECAUSE THIS HAPPENS TWO YEARS AFTER PEOPLE ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME???

Like, are you all people really this dense or just shitposting?

Xbone one DRM, Paid Mods on steam etc

Both changed because people were "outraged"

Yeah but I was talking about the petition and that won't do shit. You need serious "outrage" from pretty much a whole community and the mainstream media to cover it more than like one news article

Dmented

Banned
Lol? when has a petition EVER done anything other than to make people feel good about doing fuck all, it's about as effective as likes on Facebook Take two and Rockstar won't care and gamers won't care when the next GTA rolls out.

Cue the next outrage

Well, we got Dark Souls on PC with a petition, Bayonetta, Vanquish, etc from petitions and demands.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah but I was talking about the petition and that won't do shit. You need serious "outrage" from pretty much a whole community and the mainstream media to cover it more than like one news article
I mean it's a modding community which in the scheme of things isn't that massive. So asking for that level of response is pretty unrealistic. They're letting their voices be heard because that's all they can do right now. Sure, the chances of it changing anything is pretty slim, but better than rolling over and saying nothing at all.

Some of this feels like criticizing the community for being upset. They have every reason to be pissed. Take-Two is just straight up strong arming them to destroy an RP world they've built over tens of thousands of hours to create, and have in hand raised the level of interest in GTAV on the PC. The same modding community that have been openly encouraged by Rockstar up until now. Suddenly Take-Two is saying they'll sue them for something that is pretty innocent. So fuck, is there really any other way you can expect them to react?

(the last part was not directed at you failgubbe, just to the responses in general)

Dmented

Banned
Are you f***** kidding me? You came back to this thread just to shitpost once more??? Do you intend to jump here every once in a while, shitpost, and disappear ignoring what everyone said just so you can came back to do the same thing again with a straight face?

People like this are truly sad. As if they wouldn't be upset if something they loved on their preferred platform went away they wouldn't be upset.

Miss me with that shit.

Top Bottom