• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V Launching Spring 2013 On Xbox 360/PS3 [Officially Confirmed By Rockstar]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

2013 is one incredible year for current-gen releases. Not sure we've seen a generation go out with such a bang quite like this before.

PS3 and 360's Swan Song is 2013.

Versus, The Last Guardian, and Agent on the other hand are next gen titles.

:p

netBuff

What were are looking at is a print proof not a complete promotional poster or similar. I don't think it's for in-store use probably for some show due soon. It's far too early for retail promotion.

I have related experience of this.

Is that a realistic proposition? Which European trade show (PEGI age-logo) is coming up where posters with a "Pre-Order Now" message make sense? The original post claims that the picture stems from a Sony warehouse worker.

All sings point to: "It's a faaaake!"

I said before that they wont bring this game to PC and I stand by that. They will probably drop the same excuse as they did for RDR. It may not be the driving reason, but I'm sure a small part of it is seeing non-professional modders making the employees of the studios look bad with graphic mods like ENB. GTA 4 is probably the best example of this. Fan made mods made by people at home in their spare time for GTA 4 have made the people who got paid to work on it look like complete amateurs.

I said before that they wont bring this game to PC and I stand by that. They will probably drop the same excuse as they did for RDR. It may not be the driving reason, but I'm sure a small part of it is seeing non-professional modders making the employees of the studios look bad with graphic mods like ENB. GTA 4 is probably the best example of this. Fan made mods made by people at home in their spare time for GTA 4 have made the people who got paid to work on it look like complete amateurs.

All GTAs have eventually come to PC, it's just a matter of when.

jonno394

What were are looking at is a print proof not a complete promotional poster or similar. I don't think it's for in-store use probably for some show due soon. It's far too early for retail promotion.

I have related experience of this.

As someone has correctly pointed out, the source is a retail worker who stated that it was delivered in store for promotional use.

AzaK

Would you care to estimate the total install base of the Wii U by May? Then remove any users who have a PS3 or 360? Then remove any users who don't care for GTA?

Why remove the PS3/360 users? It's likely that due to the GamePad you'll get some sweet additional features. Unless for some reason you're really into multiplayer GTA with a set group of friends, which I hazard most of us aren't.

By May we may see 6 million if Nintendo's forecast of 5.5 by end of FY '13 + 2 more months pans out. I could then see what? 1-2 million possible GTAs? Worth it? Not sure.

5amshift

Banned
For the past like 3 years and probably more, all Rockstar games have been on a streak with release dates in May. I'm sure this one will get a May release date as well and we'll be seeing it hands on at PAX East no doubt!

delta25

Banned
Oh for the love of god, please R* give PC gamers a release date so they'll STFU already. ;)

Anywho, can't freaking wait, it's going to be San Andreas all over again... I hope

Xdrive05

If there's no PC version at launch or very close to it, then I will not buy this game. I can always borrow a console copy. Whatever it takes to keep R* from seeing a dime of my money whilst acting like diseased vaginas.

Why remove the PS3/360 users? It's likely that due to the GamePad you'll get some sweet additional features. Unless for some reason you're really into multiplayer GTA with a set group of friends, which I hazard most of us aren't.

By May we may see 6 million if Nintendo's forecast of 5.5 by end of FY '13 + 2 more months pans out. I could then see what? 1-2 million possible GTAs? Worth it? Not sure.

That is worldwide. How much do GTA games typicaly sell in Japan?

The Wii U hardware would fit greatly on a gta game. It kinda feels rockstar has overlooked the new Nintendo console.
Looking forward late port

AzaK

That is worldwide. How much do GTA games typicaly sell in Japan?

I dunno. Initially I was thinking that it would make sense to do a Wii U version. However thinking about prospective sales makes me wonder if they will bother. If they do, then I imagine it will be another 'late to the party' version which Wii U seems to be getting a lot of. It's not good timing for Wii U's release over this upcoming blockbuster 6 months or so. Resources for a third platform will be limited.

I'd like a Wii U version just because if I have to play a console version before the PC one, I'd like it to be on the best hardware.

With that said, I'm not convinced a Wii U version would take advantage of the slight technical advantage due to the time it's been in development for 360/PS3, plus it would still pale compared to the PC performance/visuals I know I could get.

It sucks I love GTA so much because the max I could be able to wait for a PC version without getting the console one first would be... oh... 17 minutes? :'(

I'd like a Wii U version just because if I have to play a console version before the PC one, I'd like it to be on the best hardware.

With that said, I'm not convinced a Wii U version would take advantage of the slight technical advantage due to the time it's been in development for 360/PS3, plus it would still pale compared to the PC performance/visuals I know I could get.

Totally, but the GamePad could bring some nice features to the game. I'd like to have the map, GPS (of which the voice comes from the GamePad's speakers), phone and some other things on the controller in front of me. I think it would be pretty neat.

Ah well, PS3 it is. I'll probably double dip and get it on PC eventually as well, like I did with IV.

I wouldn't take this as confirmation of no Wii U version, given Nintendo's absurd strictness about announcing titles beyond the launch window (Bayonetta 2 and, strangely, Injustice being the only exceptions thus far).

I wouldn't get at all optimistic about a Wii U version, either. TBH, a small part of me wants it not to happen just so some journalist can confront Reggie with the reality of just how badly their efforts to win over Western third parties have turned out.

GlamFM

Banned
I really don´t understand why anyone would think there should/will be a WiiU Version.

After the disatser that was Chinatown Wars on DS I think they know what kind of game this audience doesn´t want.

Totally, but the GamePad could bring some nice features to the game. I'd like to have the map, GPS (of which the voice comes from the GamePad's speakers), phone and some other things on the controller in front of me. I think it would be pretty neat.

Ah well, PS3 it is. I'll probably double dip and get it on PC eventually as well, like I did with IV.

Could be cool, but GTA is a game that I don't need any gimmicks like that really. I just want the best technical performance... GTA IV is a joke on consoles.

MDSLKTR

I really don´t understand why anyone would think there should/will be a WiiU Version.

After the disatser that was Chinatown Wars on DS I think they know what kind of game this audience doesn´t want.

I don't get it either, there's a quote in the OP of the Take-Two ceo that says there's absolutely no chance yet this whole thread is 10 pages of port begging. When does the reality check start?

has anyone asked if the image in the OP that fueled this story was photoshopped?

even if it was really a retailer in Poland could it not be an excited manager wanting to put a major title on display early?

I don't get it either, there's a quote in the OP of the Take-Two ceo that says there's absolutely no chance yet this whole thread is 10 pages of port begging. When does the reality check start?

the only reason I see this being a focus is because someone said 'No Wii U lolz' and a Mod made a point to edit to OP and say chances for a Wii U port are non-existant and warns to keep the port talk here and away from the upcoming major magazine news thread.

This audience bullshit is also getting old... Chinatown DS is now some kind of key example of why Wii U cannot get a GTA? You guys are not sounding any smarter than those port begging. It would have been best to just ignore them than to point out silly shit.

GlamFM

Banned
has anyone asked if the image in the OP that fueled this story was photoshopped?

even if it was really a retailer in Poland could it not be an excited manager wanting to put a major title on display early?

the only reason I see this being a focus is because someone said 'No Wii U lolz' and a Mod made a point to edit to OP and say chances for a Wii U port are non-existant and warns to keep the port talk here and away from the upcoming major magazine news thread.

This audience bullshit is also getting old... Chinatown DS is now some kind of key example of why Wii U cannot get a GTA? You guys are not sounding any smarter than those port begging. It would have been best to just ignore them than to point out silly shit.

Behave.

I don't think Wii U discussion is port begging, just an observation that it could be the best version as we wait for the PC version. It's a little bit of fun speculation, something to discuss in fancy. It's not like this thread has a bunch of amazing gameplay details we're all ignoring.

bud23

The photo was allegedly taken by an employee of a store in London.

I'm curious for those that may have any idea. Is it possible that this will not come for PC? I remember how R* claimed RDR was not "viable" for PC, so what makes GTA any different? Cars vs horses?

I'm curious for those that may have any idea. Is it possible that this will not come for PC? I remember how R* claimed RDR was not "viable" for PC, so what makes GTA any different? Cars vs horses?

I don't know the insider details, but I think RDR is the exception rather than the rule. GTA IV + DLC was pretty damn huge on PC and Max Payne 3 was a Godly PC version.

Just makes little sense to me. I think they could have easily done 2M with RDR on PC. Guess R* doesn't like to make a little extra $$$

Because it doesn't benefit Rockstar. A sale on the Wii U which removes a sale on PS3 or 360 is worthless.

How the hell is it worthless. Theyre still getting the sale and on top of that they would be building an audience on the platform instead of milking platforms that will be on their way out.

Just makes little sense to me. I think they could have easily done 2M with RDR on PC. Guess R* doesn't like to make a little extra $$$

I've heard that maybe the team that would've done it started working on Table Tennis 2 instead or something, but that could be bollocks. I'm with you that not doing it is a terrible action that only Rockstar can get away with and keep my heart!

StuBurns

Banned
How the hell is it worthless. Theyre still getting the sale and on top of that they would be building an audience on the platform instead of milking platforms that will be on their way out.
If it doesn't benefit them, it's worthless. You add SKUs to add sales, not to move them to another platform.

Because they will be spending money to develop and publish the Wii U port but not really gaining any additional sales revenue. For it to be worthwhile for Rockstar, they would need to feel like there is a NEW audience of potential GTA buyers who would not have checked for the game on PS3 or Xbox360. I can understand why they doubt that audience exists.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think they just want people to double dip on the PC port.

I am down with this Sping 2013 release. It sucks that the game might be released on the tail end of this generation, but I cannot wait nonetheless. I have to finish up one of the GTAIV expansions yet and have been kind of saving it to play it a few months before GTAV.

UrbanRats

I'm no programmer, but i'd bet that making a .dll to spice up the graphics, as great as it is, it's not as impressive as building an entire engine, a game (with at the time pretty impressive graphics) and make it work on old HW like ps3 and 360.
Sounds like when people want R* to "hire" the Icenhancer dude, which makes no sense.

The PC port was shitty, but i don't think they have anything to fear from modders.

About this Audience thing;

I only got into GTA very recently downloaded them on my powerbook from steam to see what the fuss has been about for so many years I just never had the chance to try one.
Being someone who played RPGs, Marios, and Zeldas most of my gaming life I wanted to expand what I played now that I am in my late 30s.

I found I really enjoyed Vice City a whole lot. Loved the music and it reminded me of the 80s and Miami. Also downloaded the other mac versions from Steam and played them for months.

The point being the only reason it took me so long to discover what GTA was about was because I never owned a platform it was being published on. Not because I am not a member of an audience that could enjoy it if I had access to it.

The Audience is not there because the GAME has never been there. Never been expected to be there, so people like me went shrug it does not look like my type of game anyway and did not bother to pick up a new platform that had it. This is the old what came first the chicken or the egg.

Rockstar built its audience and core following. These are built not existing, you don't know you are a fan of something until you experience it. If you cannot experience it, it matters very little to you and you cannot make a judgement of liking or disliking it.

If you guys are saying the audience is not there, you have to remember those who helped spilt the audience in the first place and the only one that can repair it or build it has no reason to bother.

This is why a PC port of this game is taken so lightly and Wii U is a joke, Rockstar knows where they built their home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom