• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V - The little details that caught your attention?

All right GAF, I don't know if I can wait for the PC version. This thread is making me AMPED to go and buy this right now. I wonder if the PS3 or 360 version perform better or if they're both the same...

What stood out to me yesterday was that road signs (like the white stripes on the middle of the road and stuff) reflect on your back bumper. My mind was blown, hadn't noticed it before.

Also saw a car hitting a deer that was crossing the road (at a zebra crossing no less). The car took off like there was no tomorrow, haha.

There's a lot of other stuff, but most of it haa already been mentioned.

wizzbang

Banned
Kinda Copy and paste of my post in the other thread, it belongs here clearly!

Besides purchasing the game and telling other people it's great, how the fuck do I thank the team for this incredible game?
There's so many little things in this game which some developer sat in a meeting room fighting for, these tiny silly little touches which in 99.9% of games would never be added and 99.9% of the time wouldn't be noticed. Somehow, someone though has managed to add just immense detail to so many parts of this game.

The moon cycle seems to change, right now I'm paused as I type this and it's very close to a full moon, I can drive completely headlight free on the roads, it's much brighter, the lighting is fantastic.
I noticed my shadow was based positionally from the location of the moon itself.
It was so peaceful I shut the headlights off and just cruised the goddamn highway with the radio on at the speed limit, in first person view.
If you hit the rearview (R3) button while in FPS view, Trevor (presumably all) is then in the shot and he looks up at the goddamn rearview mirror - they animated that!

Sound design is often overlooked in games - not here, not even slightly. Again - some nerd developer(s) with a passion for good immersive sound, petitioned for a slice of the memory pie here and won.
When you stop a motorcycle you've just thrashed, the motor "ticks" as it cools down.
I walked past a body shop (NOT a pay n spray, a normal non functional / non enterable building) and you could hear the whirr of an air pneumatic drill for fucks sake!
The dialogue as you walk past people, that's been in GTA historically but it's so real. I walked the streets of my city today, for the first time after a 4 day GTA binge, it was just like the game, people on their phones, you just head a sentence snippet of conversation, it's magic.

<removed mission specific spoiler stuff>

Some of the heist / action music is brilliant - what about the chopper music at night? Jump in a chopper and this moody as fuck little tone comes on.

This game is mind boggling, it's fucking next level mind boggling. I had high expectations, I had extremely high expectations and it destroyed them. It just decimated them.
The draw distance, resolution, frame rate, detail are all higher than GTAIV - I expected an improvement but for 7 year old tech? How, how the fuck is this running in 512mb of ram? (and on my system, it's 256/256 - not shared)

Just rode in the car again (inside view) you can subtely hear a clunk as each gear change occurs, this stuff never ends.
Raced to the top of the observatory mountain to see the sunset and get a photo - in first person view on a bike up the mountain........ jesu christo amazing.
Sat on the bike, radio is running, lining up photo, girl on chair in front of me just turns around to see why I'm loitering,....... wow
There's graffiti on the public seating.
The moon is actually moving in some kind of orbit (advanced for "GTA time") you can see it moving through the sky.
The moon illuminates the clouds it's near.
In the settings for your phone you can enable vibrate (off by default) - the controller vibrates with a call...........
Helicopters blow up leaves / dust when landing
Pot holes in the road actually bump the car around
You can't put the headlights on high beam in daytime.

I dunno, I just dunno what to say, these guys - I mean yes they sold a lot - but I just want to thank the whole group - they all come together to make something beautiful.

Best 4 days off work EVER. Fucking GOTG, straight up.
<3

wizzbang

Banned
Not sure if I can agree with this just yet. Engine sounds seem a bit too low and subdued to me so far. When I hop in an old muscle car I want to hear that V8 really scream. They seem to be drowned out a bit by the environmental ambience.

You can't be serious, you just can't be. The car engine sounds are better than GT5 (to be fair, I have a beef with GT5 having some of the worst car sounds in a modern racing game)

There's so much more to just a rumble of a car engine, sound design is so SO often overlooked in games and yet it's the most immersive aspect of a game (subliminally)
See my huge post above, this game has fucking AMAZING sound design

Christ riding a pushbike has the right whine in the wheel from riding even when you're just freewheeling it sounds amazing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also I love Rockstar's attention to detail that no one else does. In EVERY other game, see a ladder? Probably a reason to go up there.

GTA V. Ladders everywhere. They usually lead to nothing, but they're there because that's how buildings work. I also love that shitty cars out in the desert will stall more often. And I love if you're in a like a piece of crap van going up a hill, it's tortuously slow.

ryz

This game is insane. INSANE.

Last night I switched to Trevor only to find him drunk sleeping on the railroad.

And he complained too as the train was approaching: "Ah, fuck, I was sleeping".

Hahaha, switching to Trevor is always awesome.

Once he slept almost naked (just wearing underpants) on the railing of a bridge. When he woke up he said "at least i've rolled to the right side" or something like that! :D

The next time he's chasing some cyclists with his pickup while complaining that the roads were built for motorized vehicles.

And of course, often he's just being chased by the police when switching to him.

Trevor <3

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fabric animation from max payne 3 is back!

Also getting out of your car at night has the indoor light turn on and off with your door opening and closing.

Garland7G

After a rampage mission with Trevor, I got into one of their cars and was driving around with a dead man in the front seat.
Fitting I thought.

wizzbang

Banned
I just went for a midnight swim by the moonlight (boat makes too much noise as the water bounces against the hull) - it started raining. I noticed there's at least 2 or 3 rain "levels" - beginning / end (light) - normal rain and then heavy 'sheet' rain with puffs of water clouds which smash down.

Incredible - who the fuck does that? Who codes not only rain but sheet rain? it sounded amazing on the water surface.
Game of the generation, this truly is the San Andreas of this era.

I'm blown away by the quality of the pedestrians in this game, their realism and variety.

For example, pressing right pad makes you make a comment to a ped, and they respond but they can do so multiple times (dont remember if this happened in GTA IV)

So I was just driving around taking in the scenery, pulled into a motel saw a couple smoking upstairs. went up and spoke, she looked pissed off.

me: how are you?
her: well I found out my husband is fucking another woman, so I'm great

Her response, her pissed off looking face and body language - all came together.

Just a little one I noticed during a random mission, the one with the competitive woman that Michael ends up in a footrace in. If you take a shortcut to get to the next checkpoint, she actually notices and calls you out on it several times during the race. Thought that was a nice little touch.

catweazle

Neo Member
I bought as much stock in LifeInvader as I could after the mission involving it. Later in a random mission where Amanda got arrested for shoplifting, she complained about Michael spending all their savings on day trading. I thought this was a coincidence, but friends I've spoken to don't remember the dialogue.

you can steal a 747 and fly it... because why not.

that life long dream since your first open world game "I wish i could fly that jet at the airport".

I like how you can install a turbocharger on a car. Games don't have that as a car update.

wizzbang

Banned
Christ even more detail!
Driving in a van on my way to a heist, all 3 of the guys in the van, I drop to FPS view again, turn on the rear camera mode - they are physically acting out the conversation. Mikey says "Who me?" and gestures with his hand to his chest and he is lip sync'd - this is in a van that again 98% of players will never look inside on their way to a fucking heist.

Incredible INCREDIBLEEEEEEEE

McLovin

One time Trevor was about to kill some people, and he was in full rage mode. The radio station was playing the up-beat happy song. And he was like, "THIS..... MUSIC..... IS.... AAAALLLL WROOOOOOOOG1!!!1!1111" I lol'd hard.

Also if your chasing someone in a car and put on the cinematic mode sometimes it will show the person being chased rear view. And you hear them freaking the fuck out! LoL it happened with the talent show thing with the truck.

UrbanRats

I may have misheard, but:

I chased down some Lost gang members after they robbed a a guy and when I returned to him, he was on the phone with someone (maybe 911). As I'm driving up to return his money, he (pretty sure it was him) says to the person on the phone "Oh, hold on, here comes someone," as if he were telling the person on the phone that he was just robbed.
Happened to me, too.
If you ride a BMX/motorcycle and "shoot" while being unarmed, you'll show the bird. You can even aim it.
Any vehicle, really.
All right GAF, I don't know if I can wait for the PC version. This thread is making me AMPED to go and buy this right now. I wonder if the PS3 or 360 version perform better or if they're both the same...
Ps3 version is marginally better.
Is it my imagination or do clothes get sweaty? Noticeable in the middle of the back. Also grooves on the side of the road.
They do, at least light clothes like shirts and t-shirts, i don't think you can see sweat through suits and jackets (obviously).

vixlar

In the first mission with Trevor and Michael. In the chasing, I pressed B to target the objective, but instead, the camera puts on him and he has his own monologue. Is fantastic!

antitrop

another time Michael was sitting on the beach and being yelled at by a lifeguard to put his cigarette out (I believe his words were "look around this whole place is a fucking ashtray").
I got him sitting at a park bench smoking a cigarette, being harassed by a park ranger.

He told off the Ranger and said to "be concerned with a more immediate cause of death.".

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
One time this lady was crossing the street (I was in franklins car) and some guy ran her over and took off. So I got out of my car and called the paramedics. They arrived and ran over to her and tried to revive her.

"Oh man, we got here too late. She's gone."
"Well, there's always next time."
"Yes! That's what we must tell ourselves each day."

Then he filled out his clipboard and they took off. Then I saw my car pass by me...someone stole my car during all this!

Crazy stuff.

Airplane turbulence is one I noticed. I haven't really messed around in free roam (been doing missions) but I did get caught in a lightning storm. The thunder noise delays the further away you are from the lightning.

DjRoomba

Banned
Something I just found out:
The missions where the characters intersect begin very differently depending on who you initiate it as. Essentially you will skip half a mission of one character if you play as another character coming to visit them. Interesting detail

ButchCat

I really like how they took some of the best features of their games even the non-R* games like stealth mode was ripped straight of MAFIA II with stealth mode.

Liberty4all

Banned
I bought as much stock in LifeInvader as I could after the mission involving it. Later in a random mission where Amanda got arrested for shoplifting, she complained about Michael spending all their savings on day trading. I thought this was a coincidence, but friends I've spoken to don't remember the dialogue.

I bought as much as I could too. So far I'm still losing money on it though. Should I hold my stock?

Being able to skip missions upon failing them 3 times is pretty nice. I can't stand some of the boring shit in this awesome game (ie. load crates, fly, turret sequence, etc.)

I've been impressed with the random character switching. I usually get moments where Michael and Franklin are interacting with other people when I switch. One time Franklin was holding Lamar back from fighting 2 guys, another time Michael was sitting on the beach and being yelled at by a lifeguard to put his cigarette out (I believe his words were "look around this whole place is a fucking ashtray").

I still haven't unlocked Trevor yet but I can't wait to see what his random moments are. I bet they're wild.

They verge from hilarious to creepy to deranged.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
The guys all talking about how grove street used to be family territory was great.

U2NUMB

Maybe it has been mentioned but the one thing that blew my mind was after you have driven a car for a while and then get out you can hear it cool down like a real car. Stand by it and listen if you are in a fairly quiet place.

Amazing detail.

RayMaker

Banned
Was Micheal and went to the discount clouthing store and my car parked out side was blocking another cars way, when I went in the store 4 gangbangers ran into the shop to get me but they saw I had my gun pull out and they were like ''fu*# this'' and they bailed.

Its also been very fun switching from character to character but I wont spoil, I will let you experience them for yourselves.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Break off a car door at night and the cabin lights inside stay on all the time. This is a great effect while driving around at night.

Something I meant to mention and just remembered...

You know the little rhyme, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight; Red sky at morning, sailors take warning." Totally applies in GTA.

Look east in the morning, if the sky has a dark red hue to it as the sun is coming up, you can expect a storm throughout the next day. If you look west as the sun is setting and the sky is red, you're usually good for the next day.

FWIW, this is one old weather rhyme that is scientifically indicative... And it's also true in GTA. I noticed an unusually red sky one morning in Los Santos, and sure enough, it rained and stormed throughout the next day or two. Pretty awesome.

Onikaan

I've noticed a few things that make me smile.

When you stop a vehicle and get out you can hear the internal workings of the engine cooling down. Very neat.

Also, I was wheel spinning behind someone at red lights, dude got out of his car and tried to do me in.

Maybe not little, but how alive this game feels is so good.

Switching to Trevor throwing someone off the overpass

Randomly see the cops trying to go hard after criminals

Was at a green light for too long. The person behind drove around me while flipping me off saying whats wrong with me

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hopefully I explain this right:

When you press the brakes really hard and stop fast, you can see your guy (and passenger if you have one) lean forward because of the inertia. It's normally hard to see but my back window was broken as I was driving with Michael and Trevor and I stopped short and noticed how they moved forward when you stopped too quickly.

One little detail I would have loved to see is turning indicators on cars. The last time I remember seeing them in a game was Driver for the PS1.

I was stuck behind a police cruiser in traffic, so I started experimenting with honking repeatedly at them to see what happened. I ended up getting a one star wanted level. It's really interesting actually just watching how the citizens of Los Santos react to honking. Some get furious and get out of their cars, some just yell at you, some speed away...

UrbanRats

Hopefully I explain this right:

When you press the brakes really hard and stop fast, you can see your guy (and passenger if you have one) lean forward because of the inertia. It's normally hard to see but my back window was broken as I was driving with Michael and Trevor and I stopped short and noticed how they moved forward when you stopped too quickly.

Yeah that was in GTAIV, too.

The gun store clerk had a conversation with Franklin about liking the banter between him "and his two friends" and about "real vs. fake hip-hop".

megalowho

The sound design is amazing, there's so many layers going on at once at any given time. Just now I'm chilling on Franklin's porch taking in the sounds of Los Santos, from the sirens to the waves, the wildlife to the bikes, the car blasting Rihanna as it makes its way through the neighborhood. Almost overwhelming when you break it all down but sounds just like the real thing when it's all thrown together. Incredibly impressive.

Sorry if mentioned but I love how if you hit something while someone is delivering a line characters stop talking for a second then repeat the line again. Extremely small touch that can produce a genuine laugh.

One that I can think of right now that I thought was awesome. I was walking out of a Ammunation as Franklin, going up to his car (Franklin's White Charger) and I heard a car alarm blip. The blip that lets you know the alarm is off. Caught me off guard but it was awesome.

Top Bottom