• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Remember to link up Disney Movies Anywhere with iTunes, Google Play and Vudu, that way when you redeem it you get the movie in all of them (the movie only though, not the extras)

I absolutely love the scene where Quill flies out into space to save Gamora and puts his mask on her, starts freezing, and then Ravagers show up. Such a beautifully shot scene

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I absolutely love the scene where Quill flies out into space to save Gamora and puts his mask on her, starts freezing, and then Ravagers show up. Such a beautifully shot scene

Yeah, that scene was well done.

I've watched this twice since Tuesday already, such a great fun movie. My girlfriend's favorite scene is when Groot lights up the inside of the Dark Aster for them, she likes the contrast of this surprisingly beautiful thing happening smack in the middle of all of this seriousness and chaos. My favorite scene is at Knowhere when they are all waiting and goofing off for a bit. Rocket and Drax are gambling and drinking, while Gamora and Quill are simply talking out on the balcony. That scene right there feels more like Star Wars to me than anything in the prequels did, lol. So did the ship battle around the Dark Aster too.

Such a fantastically made movie. I have to wonder if they will even be able to make a sequel that is of the same caliber.

It's a shame the bluray doesn't have the (occasional) larger frame from the IMAX version, it really improved some of the action scenes.

The 3D version does have it.

Gunn has revealed that the 3D Blu-ray presentation of Guardians of the Galaxy will be presented with a shifting aspect ratio (2.40:1 & 1.78:1), a la The Dark Knight. The 2D presentation will remain 2.40:1 for the duration of the film.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15134

Neoxon

James Gunn said:
When Chris Pratt and I started working together on Guardians of the Galaxy, I gave him a mixe tape (okay, I admit, a mix CD) of Awesome Mix Volume 1, that he could listen to endlessly, so he’d know it backwards and forwards, just as Peter Quill knew the tape his mom gave him. As I’ve mentioned in the past, it contained a few songs that were not on the eventual soundtrack.
Here is that original list - the newer songs have a * -

- I’m Not in Love - 10cc
- Come and Get Your Love – Redbone
- Go All the Way – Raspberries (band)
- *Never Been to Spain – Three Dog Night
- Hooked on a Feeling – Blue Swede
- *Magic - Pilot (band)
- Escape (The Piña Colada Song) – Rupert Holmes
- *Livin’ Thing – Electric Light Orchestra
- Moonage Daydream - David Bowie (Official)
- Fooled Around and Fell in Love – Elvin Bishop
- *Fox on the Run - The Sweet 
- Cherry Bomb – The Runaways
- Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
- O-O-H Child – Five Stairsteps
- *Surrender – Cheap Trick

Some of these songs were in the first cut of the movie - the mean blue guard danced through the prison listening to Magic on Quill’s headphones, and Livin Thing featured in a montage in the Milano after the gang left the prison. We shot Quill singing “Never Been to Spain” at the Nova guards in an aggressive manner when he was having his mug shot taken, but the winding-up-the-finger gag worked better, so it never made the cut. The rest were never really in, but I thought this would give you a good idea of the complete Awesome Mix to which young Peter Quill might have lived his life.
So Spirit in the Sky was in the movie at one point.

vazel

Banned
The 3D Blu-ray is back down to $19.99 at Amazon. I'd nab it up before it goes up to $29.99 again. To re-iterate, the 3D Blu-ray is the only way to see the IMAX shots.

Neoxon

The 3D Blu-ray is back down to $19.99 at Amazon. I'd nab it up before it goes up to $29.99 again. To re-iterate, the 3D Blu-ray is the only way to see the IMAX shots.
I've already watched the movie 6 times per medium (Blu-Ray discs, phone, etc.). A same I can't see the IMAX shots on my phone or laptop.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hah, even the deleted scenes are great. I don't get why they cut the prison guard dancing, and apparently Gunn doesn't either. I didn't know there was audio commentary, might give it a listen.

I got the regular edition. The steelbook price is pretty high on ebay... Really should've pre-ordered that thing.

Neoxon

Hah, even the deleted scenes are great. I don't get why they cut the prison guard dancing, and apparently Gunn doesn't either. I didn't know there was audio commentary, might give it a listen.

I got the regular edition. The steelbook price is pretty high on ebay... Really should've pre-ordered that thing.
Holy shit, I must have lucked out.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

thankfully i pre-ordered 2 of them

Wow, I just saw this, and it was amazing. This is coming from someone who hasn't really got a taste for Marvel films at all other than the three main Spider-Man movies. The screenplay and acting were unexpectedly brilliant. Chris Pratt is a genuine movie star now, I've only ever seen him here and there before this. Great casting.

Also, the design of the villain was brilliant. He looked like someone I would have dreamed up as a kid. Did they get Marilyn Manson to do his make-up, because I've seen Manson with almost identical get up at some point I'm sure.

Day 1 for the sequel. Looks like there is so much backstory to be explored with these characters too. Reminded me of Serenity, a little.

Neoxon

Just showed my little cousin Guardians. She loved the movie, & her favorite characters were...

1. Rocket
2. Groot
3. Yondu
4. Everyone Else

It's amazing how much Rocket & Groot steal the show, & even more amazing how Yondu was a surprise favorite.

Neoxon

Just a piece of GotG concept art.
y9qr53zhx52n5gz9wk1a.jpg

If you look closely, you can find Spike's ship repainted blue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've already watched the movie 6 times per medium (Blu-Ray discs, phone, etc.). A same I can't see the IMAX shots on my phone or laptop.

If you rip the 3D bluray you can encode just the left eye as a 2D MKV and you'd get the IMAX bits.

Neoxon

Here's some more GotG concept art.

zycertm1v3wzomi4abcz.jpg
y9qr53zhx52n5gz9wk1a.jpg
p0yoi5qgluyxghxr7atk.jpg
cyvkzgz72nkc0z4uay6w.jpg
nd1i2zcvev4k4mwbz9rn.jpg
bodx9tu03eoqxcxeexfv.jpg
czjhbeswjvc5sma4uice.jpg
lgzvmhdcjb0jul2ano9n.jpg
zcvu4hrmuacbaxgjtrsc.jpg
nte34jpvds00e8uq1lvy.jpg
g8u4hgtje4ix6i4xtxyw.jpg
roaii1q9ejvibxg0bxmm.jpg
vgwwd5kct3tdok9m4lsp.jpg
evlje84tu4q0urekmiue.jpg
fxbf89rewydacgfbz9ec.jpg
s983tmz8aurwegq53loz.jpg
idljluq33ivpgyl5idwo.jpg
by0ttr5ipszkewanabhr.jpg
m7rxa9psfrzjhtgjhnlw.jpg
cwfcdnstngmncptvch77.jpg
t4gsc5w0htdbqdbhtquv.jpg
rmwd9esk2ypalxoxhco3.jpg
hvjn75jgjpqcfkfru3ba.jpg
jlcvsapqnd64flqug9vw.jpg
ffg54mxqgfmlfqbcnh0d.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!!!! I really hope some of these locations are in the sequel. I mean, goddamn.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Here's some more GotG concept

HOLY SHIT!!!!! I really hope some of these locations are in the sequel. I mean, goddamn.

Woah, that concept art is mind blowing awesome. That's incredible.

Dalek

Very cool post by James Gunn on Facebook today. I love the way his mind thinks:

Of all the Chris Foss paintings that inspired Guardians of the Galaxy, this may be the one that inspired us most. Yellow is an underused color in films, especially science-fiction and fantasy films. In Guardians, I used it as a signifier of change, rebirth, and redemption - the yellow prison uniforms, Drax drowning in the yellow spinal fluid, the yellow Groot spores, and the yellow interlocking Nova Corps net... I believe color is a part of what made Guardians successful. When so many huge, spectacle films have the beige color palette of Saw, the brain becomes thirsty for color. We were that technicolor pitcher of water at the edge of the summer desert.

This doesn't mean all movies should be colorful, just that color in general is important, and too much of one thing is boring. If, over the next few years, films become oversaturated with bright colors, brains will be relieved by a film entirely hazel and gray.

Anyway, this painting, along with other Chris Foss works, was a part of my original presentation to Marvel when I pitched myself as director and I explained the visual direction I was going to take with the film. They were immediately on board, and we ended up hiring Chris Foss to help design some of the spaceships in the film. He was, of everyone, my biggest visual inspiration on Guardians.

Neoxon

James Gunn did a Q&A on his Facebook page a few days ago. Three of the questions are actually of significance.

Q: Are there any plans in the works to dive a bit deeper into Rocket's back story, like Halfworld and characters associated with that at all? Or is it too early for me to ask about that?

James Gunn: I have it all worked out, but I'm not sure when it would be the best to go into it. I think it's some great stuff. It's different from the comics.

Q: Would you like to see Nova come to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and tie in with the Guardians? How would you do it?

Gunn: Yes I'd eventually like to see that. How I'd do it would be secret [sic] tho.
itsNp4Z.png

Dalek

I love that he's embraced the fans and always answering questions and still posting stuff about Guardians on his FB page. You can tell he loves this stuff as much as the fans.

BumRush

We don't know yet. But it's not Jason/J'Son.
The popular theory is that its Adam Warlock.

No, I know we don't know but I want to know, you know?

Who do YOU think it is?

Also, my wife is in love with Chris Pratt and wants to know who starlords dad is for valentine's day

Neoxon

No, I know we don't know but I want to know, you know?

Who do YOU think it is?

Also, my wife is in love with Chris Pratt and wants to know who Star-Lord's dad is for valentine's day
I think it's Adam Warlock. Either him or a completely different take on J'Son that's not what we know from the comics.

Donos

Praetor Gladiator is not in Marvel's hands? Damn. He's Superman on crack. He should play an important role in Inhhumans movie.

Top Bottom